Buying My Side Dish for Sat. GayPatriot BBQ at Whole Foods

Posted by GayPatriotWest at 5:36 pm - August 14, 2009.
Filed under: LA Stories,Liberals

Just read that some lefties plan on boycotting Whole Foods because it’s CEO John Mackey wrote a thoughtful op-ed in the Wall Street Journal opposing Obamacare and putting forward some sensible alternatives.  (Read his piece, print it out, familiarize yourself with his ideas to rebut the President’s charge that the alternative to the kinds of reforms he and the Democrats are proposing is doing nothing.)

Now, I had planned to get the cheese and olives I’ll be taking to the BBQ Leah is hosting tomorrow for our LA readers (and a visiting San Francisco one) at Monsieur Marcel in the Farmer’s Market.  (It’s not too late to RSVP.)  And while their cheese selection is great–and they have some wonderful Spanish olives–parking at the Farmer’s Market can be trying.

And there’s a Whole Foods Market just a few block away, almost within walking distance for an Angeleno (it is more than three blocks way).  I think I’ll go there first.

1. This is changing my attitude to Whole Foods as well. I had judged it by its pretentious, ridiculous liberal-hippie clientele and high prices, overlooking the relative quality of what you get and the goodness of its CEO. Now I’m more willing to consider the latter two factors.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 14, 2009 @ 6:25 pm - August 14, 2009

2. I’ll definately consider Whole Foods more in the future.

I’ve always marveled at how WF has completely bamboozeled all these liberal/progressive types. They are a fearsome competitor (remember Wild Oats?) and can somehow make glass bottled water shipped all the way from another hemisphere seem Green.

Comment by BigJ — August 14, 2009 @ 6:56 pm - August 14, 2009

3. Does Whole Foods sell meat? I’ll get my hamburger for my cookout from them!

Comment by Julie the Jarhead — August 14, 2009 @ 7:13 pm - August 14, 2009

4. JJ, they sure do. Good, red meat… mmmm.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 14, 2009 @ 7:31 pm - August 14, 2009

5. I read Mackey’s piece in the WSJ and then read a story about the (irrational) liberal reaction.

Mackey made eight points in his op-ed, all of which seem perfectly reasonable to me. Most of these have been tossed around in conservative circles for a long time. Perhaps one of our lefty friends can tell us which of Mackey’s ideas are so awful.

Comment by SoCalRobert — August 14, 2009 @ 7:44 pm - August 14, 2009

6. btw Dan, I walk to the corner Whole Foods is on from my house all the time. (I don’t shop there, there is a very nice restaurant across the street I frequent with friends)
    so despite all the stereotypes about us Angelenos, some of us love walking the neighborhood. Getting errands done without a car kills two birds. the errand and the exercise.

Comment by Leah — August 14, 2009 @ 7:50 pm - August 14, 2009

7. Leah, good to know about the Whole Foods within walking distance. If we run short on anything tomorrow, we can just dispatch someone there to get what we need.

Comment by GayPatriotWest — August 14, 2009 @ 7:51 pm - August 14, 2009

8. The thing is, Mackey never attacked Obama in any way. He just offered a set of common sense alternatives the hugely expensive and autocratic system proposed by the Obamacrats. The left can’t even tolerate discussion of alternatives to their dogma.

Comment by V the K — August 14, 2009 @ 11:30 pm - August 14, 2009

9. The left can’t even tolerate discussion of alternatives to their dogma.

That’s exactly it. Dogmatic leftists are people who rejected traditional religion, but never made any real improvements in themselves by any other means, and so inevitably manifest humanity’s worst traits.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 15, 2009 @ 1:14 am - August 15, 2009

10. Unfortunately, I still can’s stomach all the preachy “save the earth” gobbledygook those stores vomit forth — particularly since so much of it actually harms millions of people.

We used to have a great local chain up here, Larry’s Markets, that was like whole foods without the sanctimoniousness. But Whole Foods moved in and stole all the customers who just wanted to be seen at the right grocery store from them and killed their business.

Comment by American Elephant — August 15, 2009 @ 1:47 am - August 15, 2009

11. Perhaps one of our lefty friends can tell us which of Mackey’s ideas are so awful.

I can answer that: Because he offered solutions.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — August 15, 2009 @ 3:12 am - August 15, 2009

12. Doubtless the operators of the Republican hate machine will decide to target gay men and lesbians again. Anything for power. (The Democratic hate machine doesn’t target gay and lesbians, it just spews phony promises and lies. Anything for power.)

“Gay republicans” are masochists. They reinforce the Republican stereotype that all gays and lesbians are masochists or, at any rate, convenient punching bags.

Comment by jeremiah — August 15, 2009 @ 7:53 pm - August 15, 2009

13. And yet, jeremiah, you and your fellow Obama Party liberal gays just keep buying into and mindlessly supporting those very phony promises and lies.

To that I say, “Better a masochist than a complete idiot.”

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — August 16, 2009 @ 7:59 pm - August 16, 2009

14. #12 – “Doubtless the operators of the Republican hate machine will decide to target gay men and lesbians again.”

Proof please; otherwise STFU.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — August 16, 2009 @ 9:06 pm - August 16, 2009

15. Re high prices: Whole Foods has great selection of spices, reasonably priced. It also has reliably fresh fish.

Comment by sierra — August 16, 2009 @ 9:38 pm - August 16, 2009

16. […] knew it was destined to be a great party before I even got there.  Defying the liberal boycott, I went to Whole Foods to buy cheese and olives.  When I asked the adorable man at the cheese counter if they had […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Of Politically Incorrect Grocery Stores & Pink Elephants — August 17, 2009 @ 2:58 am - August 17, 2009