Democrats Try to Save Corrupt Committee Chairman?!?!?

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 10:05 am - August 30, 2009.
Filed under: 111th Congress,Democratic Scandals,HopeAndChange

Wait a second, what happened to that new era of politics the President promised in his successful campaign for his current office? Hmm. . . and didn’t Nancy Pelosi and her Democrats in 2006 run against the Republicans’ “Culture of Corruption” as she dubbed it.

Indeed, after her party captured Congress that fall, she promised a more open and ethical legislature:

The American people voted to restore integrity and honesty in Washington, D.C., and the Democrats intend to lead the most honest, most open and most ethical Congress in history.

And just this morning, as I sip my coffee and wait for my niblings to wake up, I read that even as more “embarrassing revelations come to light” about Charles Rangel, the Democratic Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, Pelosi’s Democrats move to save him.

Hope and change, my friends, hope and change.

UPDATE:  The Absent-Minded Chairman, Rangel hides income and assets.

FROM THE COMMENTS:   Gene in Pennsylvania writes, “Being a Democrat washes away all the other sins in the eyes of the state run media.”

1. A quick scan of Rangel’s bio suggests another question: how did someone with his employment history amass so much wealth? He must be some sort of financial genius.

Comment by SoCalRobert — August 30, 2009 @ 1:09 pm - August 30, 2009

2. #1: Whoa! Hold on there, SoCalRobert. It’s one thing to require a Congressman with Rangel’s unimpeachable character and formidable accomplishments to report ALL of his income (you know, eventually–he’s VERY busy afterall). But it is an entirely different matter to demand that he report WHERE the money came from and HOW it was earned. Personally, I find your suggestions to be transparently racist. (And I never make that accusation cavalierly–maybe 6 or 7 times a day, TOPS.) Why don’t you just say what you’re really thinking: “get a rope,” right? I thought we had made some progress in this country, but apparently, when a black career civil servant happens to have several million dollars, 7-8 different homes, one in the Caribbean and half of them rent controlled, millions in rental income, and he accidentally forgets to report 50+ percent of it for 5-6 years, SUDDENLY HE’S A CRIMINAL?! Shame on you.

Comment by Sean A — August 30, 2009 @ 6:58 pm - August 30, 2009

3. Look I’ve almost gotten over the fact that Democrats get away with lots of stuff others aren’t allowed to. Rangle, Patrick Kennedy, Cynthia McKinney, Rep Conyers, Rep Jefferson, Sen Dodd, Sen Conrad, Robert Byrd. All crooks, assaulters of cops or Klan members. Being a Democrat washes away all the other sins in the eyes of the state run media.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — August 30, 2009 @ 7:14 pm - August 30, 2009

4. Well, like the black cop said in Reston, VA this past week, “it’s not your America any more.”

Enough said.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — August 30, 2009 @ 7:58 pm - August 30, 2009

5. #2: Sean – what are you insinuating? All I’m saying is that someone as selfless and noble as Rangel, able to turn a modest living doing nothing but Good Works into a small fortune, should be called on to turn his genius to the nation’s mounting fiscal problems.

Oh, never mind… you have me. I stand chastened and rebuked.

Comment by SoCalRobert — August 30, 2009 @ 8:28 pm - August 30, 2009

6. Speaking of getting rich doing the work of the people…

With joblessness near 10%, federal salaries are rising faster than the private sector.

Comment by SoCalRobert — August 30, 2009 @ 8:30 pm - August 30, 2009

7. #3: “Being a Democrat washes away all the other sins in the eyes of the state run media.”

And apparently in the eyes of the House Ethics Committee as well, Gene. I know we are outnumbered in the House, but does that have to mean that flagrant ethical and criminal violations just get shrugged off? I’m no expert on internal House procedure, but the last time I checked, the House Ethics Committee is comprised of 10 members–5 of which are Republicans that are supposed to be representing us. If decision-making on the Ethics Committee is presumptively a vote split of 5-5, and the Democrats have a majority in the full House, then is that just the end of it? Wouldn’t that mean that the Committee and any action it takes is completely inconsequential because the party in the majority wins every time? Does anyone have superior knowledge than I do about how the Ethics Committee operates? If not, I’m going to research it because I’ve had it with the Groundhog Day hamster wheel of just being shocked and disgusted when yet ANOTHER worthless Democrat is exposed as a corrupt, influence-peddling criminal every 2-3 days and nothing ever happens.

Either the five GOP members on the Ethics Committee have the power to do something or they don’t. But even if they don’t ultimately have the power to go all the way with an ethics investigation and the discipline of a member of the House on their own (because of the veto power held by Queen Pelosi and her flying monkeys), AT A MINIMUM there should be a clear record of those efforts being made even if every one of them is voted down by Democrats. If the rules require at least six out of ten votes from the Committee to go forward with an investigation of Rangel, and he is never investigated, then there had better be a record of 5 GOP committee members voting to investigate and 5 Dem votes against. I’m concerned that this might just be another situation where we can’t trust the very people representing us. If it turns out that these violations are just being shrugged off because GOP Ethics Committee members see it as a pointless exercise that will just get torpedoed in the end by an evil bitch who for the moment holds the gavel, then those representatives need to hear from us. Either Rangel and the rest of the scumbags should be investigated and disciplined, and if they are not, the GOP should HAMMER the Democrats for blocking efforts to do so. If that’s all that can be done, then that’s all that can be done, but anything in the middle is unacceptable.

I know that there are limits to what our representatives can do, especially when in the minority, but the following quote from the NY Post article really bugs me:

“But unless the Ethics Committee probes hit Rangel with something more than a slap on the wrist — or a bigger scandal arises — Democrats are unlikely to push him off the Ways and Means Committee, a Washington insider said. “He doesn’t strike me as someone who would go quietly, and he’s not afraid to play the race card on his own party,” the DC source said. Friends like House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, members of the Congressional Black Caucus and the New York delegation are committed to keeping Rangel in place, sources said. “Unless he’s done something absolutely insane that hasn’t come out yet, he’s protected,” said a Democratic official.”

What? So, Rangel gets a free pass because he’s “friends” with some scary lady with Tijuana-caliber face-work that happens to be “in charge” at the moment? I simply refuse to accept that. I am going to make efforts to be better informed about how the “ethics” process works and if the GOP Committee members aren’t doing their jobs, they are going to hear from me. What else do they have to do anyway? They can’t pass any legislation on their own and the Democrats lock them out of the 3:00 a.m. meetings where they finalize their hate mail to the American taxpayers. When Bush was in office, didn’t John Conyers launch like 400 INVESTIGATIONS against Republicans just to give himself something to do?

Comment by Sean A — August 30, 2009 @ 9:08 pm - August 30, 2009

8. As Ms McGraw once said, “Being a Democrap means never having to say your sorry” or some such rot. Charlie Rangel fits right in.

Comment by Not Always RIght — August 30, 2009 @ 9:48 pm - August 30, 2009

9. #5: Well, SoCalRobert, that’s a step in the right direction, but clearly your confusion about Rangel’s finances is being caused by your lingering ignorance and racism. Now listen carefully: Rangel brilliantly parlayed his comparatively modest government salary into millions by making shrewd investments in the private sector, particularly Manhattan real estate. I suppose it’s possible that some of his millions came from lucrative investments in pharmaceutical companies, oil companies, private health insurance companies, high-risk mortgage lenders with efficient in-house foreclosure departments, and the like (he and Nancy Pelosi are so cute when they talk about buying low/selling high, trading stock tips–you’d just want to kiss them if you saw them playing that little game–it’s THAT adorable). Also, I believe some of his wealth comes from not paying a whole lot of taxes–but, stop reaching for the phone to call the IRS! I assure you, I’m like 99 percent sure that it’s perfectly legal. Democratic members of Congress are not required to pay as much in taxes as other people because they GIVE SO MUCH BACK in the form of their time fighting for the American people. It’s been a government tradition for like decades, I’m pretty sure.

Now, I know what you’re thinking–HOW does Rangel find the energy to make millions in the private sector AND represent his constituents so attentively? Well, it’s all part of his “fight them from within” strategy. If Rangel is ever going to bring those evil, greedy CEOs and executives to their knees before Congress, he had to establish himself as a major player in the same private sector, capitalistic league. The millions that the big business CEOs have STOLEN from the workers will not go unpunished. Rangel does this because he simply CARES MORE than other people. It’s all for YOU. As I’m sure you’ve figured out, since Rangel CARES MORE, his millions aren’t tainted like the millions earned by non-government employees who DON’T CARE AT ALL. See the difference? Rangel is out there in the private sector trenches fighting against corporate fat cats so that you will never have to. Obviously, if Rangel weren’t taking on the greedy CEOs, then you would have to go to the trouble of working for one of them, or WORSE, having to start your own company to try to compete with those vampires. Anyone with a brain can see that it’s much easier for Congress to take it away from those charlatans and then give you whatever you need to get by. Doesn’t that sound a lot more pleasant? If you’d stop being such a racist, you’d see that Rangel is doing what’s best for you. (Hee Hee)

Comment by Sean A — August 30, 2009 @ 10:14 pm - August 30, 2009

10. Sean…you are an incredible political satirist!!! Rangel probably had the same consultant that Hilary had when she turned a couple hundred dollars into several thousand in record time. We, the average citizen do not have access to such inside information. Thanks for the comments.

Comment by killiteten - Native Intelligence — August 30, 2009 @ 10:54 pm - August 30, 2009

11. Thanks, Sean, for helping me get my mind right. Please don’t report me to the diversity czar. I’ll give up my benighted ways (can I say benighted anymore?).

Comment by SoCalRobert — August 31, 2009 @ 3:02 pm - August 31, 2009