Some on the Left Can’t Let Go of W

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 2:57 am - September 3, 2009.
Filed under: Blogging,Bush-hatred,Hysteria on the Left

Seems a post I penned shortly after last fall’s election was most prescient; I asked then if Obama’s victory would mean an end to Bush-hatred:

When I see the gloaters, many of whom said some of the most vicious things about George W. Bush, members of his Administration and his supporters these past eight years, I wonder if they’ll let up on their hatred now that their guy has won. Or, will they continue to spout bile against their political adversaries and blame Bush for our nation’s problems when their team will be responsible for addressing them?

Even with Democrats’ victories, they haven’t let up with their hatred.  Obama and his team continue to blame Bush (and his team) for our nation’s problems.  His supporters continue to smear Bush, needing, it seems, to bring up their aversion to this good man even if he is not the subject of the conversation.

Just today, while checking my e-mail (and the web) after a day spent with my Dad, driving across the Rocky Mountain State, dining with a reader and relaxing with my brother, I caught this comment to a friend’s Facebook post on a documentary he had seen on the blacklisted Hollywood screenwriter Dalton Trumbo:

Frankly, I thought the way Bush-Cheney trampled over the Constitution, the bill of rights, free speech, the press and human rights over the past eight years, we made that period look like Shangri La.

Could he identify one filmmaker prosecuted or blacklisted for spouting anti-Bush views during these last “difficult” eight years?  Indeed, could he name any journalist/blogger/Democrat or anyone else who badmouthed the then-incumbent President of the United States and was punished for the opprobrium he offered?

Why did this man feel so compelled to trash Bush in responding to a post which had nothing to do with that good man, but flawed President.

And I wonder why I chose to respond instead of just laughing at his obsession.

(Note on the crafting of this post:  As I began writing this post, I had intended to provide a possible answer to the question I posed in the post’s penultimate paragraph by referencing a post I had read this evening and one I had written last November, but when searched for that post, chanced upon the one I quoted above, so penned a different post.  Should I have the energy to write the post I had intended, I will do so before I head to bed, much later than I had intended.)

1. […] Some on the Left Can’t Let Go of W […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Why the Left Can’t Let Go of W — September 3, 2009 @ 3:18 am - September 3, 2009

2. Dan, you’re quite right.

The most noisily critical of the President turned it into a new shot at the limelight. Really, does anyone think that Greenday would still be recording if not for “American Idiot?” The rapidly decaying David Letterman? How about the insipid David Cross? Jeannine Garafalo?

Yes, I know many who were upset at the Dixie Chicks and I was one of them. But, remember that the whole controversy started from ill-judged remarks to a foreign audience. This stuff used to be obvious.

Irrespective, those untalented slattern spun straw into the gold of umpteen magazine covers and two new CD’s. Some blacklist, eh?

Best wishes,
    -MFS

Comment by MFS — September 3, 2009 @ 7:13 am - September 3, 2009

3. Whenever someone invokes the so-called McCarthy era, I stop listening.

It’s yet another chestnut the left trots out when they can’t win the argument — which is nearly all the time.

Comment by Julie Kelleher — September 3, 2009 @ 8:46 am - September 3, 2009

4. BDS (Bush Derangement Syndrome) is not something the patient can turn on and off. It burrows into the psyche and taints every political thought.

It is possible that a Palin Derangement Syndrome will emerge and become dominate.

It is also possible to transfer the focus from BDS to OIW (Obama Idol Worship) as a method of combating the forces of evil embedded in BDS.

Comment by heliotrope — September 3, 2009 @ 9:54 am - September 3, 2009

5. Bush Derangement Syndrome is starting to sound like Death & Taxes – it is never going to leave the national scene. Although I enjoy reading this blog immensely, I believe that there are other issues to discuss that will tap into your articulate, erudite ability for analysis. Keep up the good work, my friends.

Comment by Duffy - Native Intelligence — September 3, 2009 @ 10:57 am - September 3, 2009

6. @GP: “Could he identify one filmmaker prosecuted or blacklisted for spouting anti-Bush views during these last “difficult” eight years? Indeed, could he name any journalist/blogger/Democrat or anyone else who badmouthed the then-incumbent President of the United States and was punished for the opprobrium he offered? ”

Aside from the continuing pandemic of BDS, this also highlights something else done by both sides: Make stuff up. Those who agree with your point of view and are ignorant of the opposition’s will nod their heads and mindlessly repeat it.

Someone in a forum I frequent stated he knew for a fact that every person who is against Obama’s preferred health care proposals were, 100%, FOR the Iraq war (apparently, that is the ultimate insult). I replied, essentially, but diplomatically, that he made that up. He said he didn’t! Really?

I could have replied that I am proof that statement is wrong but there’d be no point in continueing the discussion, he BELIEVES it’s true and that’s that. Nothing will change his mind. Nothing.

And nothing will change people’s minds about Bush. Nothing.

Comment by DoorHold — September 7, 2009 @ 1:32 pm - September 7, 2009