9/12/2009: Americans Wake Up

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 1:48 pm - September 12, 2009.
Filed under: National Politics,Tea Party

I’m in awe watching over 2 million people gather on the National Mall in Washington, DC.  It is too bad that the mainstream media isn’t treating this protest as they did the lesser-attended Anti-Bush Iraq War Protests or even the “Million Man March” (which didn’t reach 1 million).

UPDATE: VodkaPundit is live-blogging from DC.

live912

There are also hundreds of thousands of folks in other cities all around the USA in similar Tea Parties today.

This is a very inspiring day.  We need to join together and make our politicians in Washington more afraid of We, The People than they are of entrenched special interests.

Since most of the mainstream news media is ignoring Two Million Americans today, follow the developments all day long at www.twitter.com at #912 or #912DC.

I’m proud to be a Constitutional American today.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. Hello, GayPatriot!

Haven’t stopped by in awhile.

But I’ve appreciated your work for a very long time now.

Comment by sisterrosetta — September 12, 2009 @ 1:59 pm - September 12, 2009

2. Watching this on Cspan, will be going to the local protest in Los Angeles latter today.
    A proud gp reader is representing us all in DC today as well.
    God Bless America!

Comment by Leah — September 12, 2009 @ 2:17 pm - September 12, 2009

3. Wow, I’m quite impressed by the turnout! My elderly mother and her friends were planning to go down. I’ll have to ask how it went.

While I can see a bit of coverage at some of the news websites now, I’m still dismayed to see how they are downplaying it. If we needed yet another example of the media’s blatant bias, this should do it. A rally with 2 million people barely gets acknowledged, but pull together a group of a dozen anti-Bush folks and its the lead story.

Comment by Kurt — September 12, 2009 @ 3:00 pm - September 12, 2009

4. Trafficland.com’s current live stream of that intersection is mysteriously missing the crowds. Replaying old feeds? I call shenannigans.

Comment by Brendan In Philly — September 12, 2009 @ 3:00 pm - September 12, 2009

5. My sister is on her way home from DC rigth now whilst I’m stuck here at work. She says the crowd was amazingly large, so big in fact that they were forced to start marching early. Obamacare inspired her to get politically active and she was never that interested in politics before. Now she’s involved with the local TEA party and the change is amazing. More cons like her, who are NOT social cons, becoming active might convince me to take another look at all this. Love her though I do, she’s quite annoyingly persistent…

Comment by John — September 12, 2009 @ 3:46 pm - September 12, 2009

6. The size of the crowds are indicative of just how upset the American people are. It is at their own peril that politicians continue to turn a blind eye to what is happening in fly over country. We are living in exciting times and I fully expect to see some sort of revolution in my beloved country sometime before I die.

Comment by Mary — September 12, 2009 @ 3:58 pm - September 12, 2009

7. The big turnout is great. I wonder if the pols will notice.

If a few thousand Hispanics turn out demanding immigration “reform” or if a few thousand SEIU members turn out demanding healthcare “reform” – it’s news for weeks (and the pols fall all over each other to act).

So it will be interesting to see if this shows up on their radar. I sure hope so.

Mark Steyn wrote today: My sense from Wednesday’s speech is that the president’s gonna shove this through in some form or other. It may cause a little temporary pain in Blue Dog districts in 2010, but the long-term gains will be transformative and irreversible.

Comment by SoCalRobert — September 12, 2009 @ 4:45 pm - September 12, 2009

8. Thank you for the coverage of this event. Though I wish there would have been less in the way of “Obama = Hitler” signs, and in a perfect world Ron Paul wouldn’t be seen as a viable answer, I am still heartened that Americans care about what is happening to America. This isn’t about race, it is about taking back our country and remembering for what we stand!

Comment by ArmyWife — September 12, 2009 @ 4:47 pm - September 12, 2009

9. This again confirms that Obama and his liberal Democrats are in for a heap of trouble in the 2010 and 2012 elections. First we need to make sure the Democrat Gov candidates in NJ and VA go down this fall. If you ‘ve got 10 bucks contribute to them now. Anything to turn around the Obama Democrat Stalinist agendas.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — September 12, 2009 @ 4:59 pm - September 12, 2009

10. [...] 9/12/2009: Americans Wake Up [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Yahoo! Ignores Million-Person Protest (for Freedom) on same page it featured 150-person petition (against Cheney) — September 12, 2009 @ 5:30 pm - September 12, 2009

11. Astrotuuuuuuuurf!! – Nancy Pelosi

Comment by Brendan In Philly — September 12, 2009 @ 5:52 pm - September 12, 2009

12. It’s great that you are excited about today’s turnout, but let’s take a minute to be honest: I was at the Inauguration, and I was at today’s event. Two million people were at the Inauguration. Nowhere near two million people were there today.

Comment by Stephen — September 12, 2009 @ 5:56 pm - September 12, 2009

13. And that weakens the message how Stephen?

Comment by Steven E. Kalbach — September 12, 2009 @ 8:08 pm - September 12, 2009

14. #12

Just looking at photos, I think it’s safe to say the opposite.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — September 12, 2009 @ 9:16 pm - September 12, 2009

15. Ah:

Satellite analyst Allison Puccioni of Jane’s Information Group estimated a crowd size between 1.031 and 1.411 million people using an image acquired by the GeoEye-1 satellite at 11:19 a.m. EST (16:19 UTC).[166] This estimate did not include an estimated 240,000 people in designated reserved areas for ticket holders or in federal buildings open to the public. Stephen Doig, a professor at Arizona State University, estimated that 800,000 people attended the inauguration ceremony using the same satellite image. Although the image was taken a little less than 45 minutes before Obama’s swearing-in ceremony, Doig adjusted his estimate to include people who were still arriving in the area before the event.[167] In spite of his crowd estimate, Doig stated that “if I had to bet, I would say the [Barack] Obama crowd is in fact bigger than those that showed up for [Johnson] or any of the other things” … “I’m wholly prepared to think it was the largest crowd.”[164] Approximately 1.2 million people had attended the second inauguration of Lyndon B. Johnson in 1965.[168]

Gotta go with Jane’s.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — September 12, 2009 @ 9:22 pm - September 12, 2009

16. DC Fire Department estimates 60-70,000.

Hey, I’ve been do DC demos with hundreds of thousands, and this doesnt come close to even that, let alone plus million.

Comment by Tano — September 12, 2009 @ 10:23 pm - September 12, 2009

17. Denial is the first step in grieving…

Comment by Steven E. Kalbach — September 12, 2009 @ 11:15 pm - September 12, 2009

18. Denial Steve?

Here is the apparent source of your confusion LINK

Comment by Tano — September 13, 2009 @ 12:06 am - September 13, 2009

19. Yes, denial, Tano.

You see, life is hard for hatemongering leftists like yourself these days, now that your Messiah is reduced to screaming and crying “racist” at everyone who dares point out the truth about him. It should be no surprise that you would be deliberately blind to any opposition, given that to acknowledge your Messiah as imperfect would destroy you psychologically.

Leftists always hide from facts and take comfort in lies. Both you and Obama are perfect examples.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — September 13, 2009 @ 1:24 am - September 13, 2009

20. Meanwhile, let’s let Michelle Malkin’s photos unravel Tano’s lies.

Seems Tano just can’t stop himself from lying and trying to smear anyone who dares to criticize his pathetic Messiah. The delusion is spreading. You have to wonder — what is Tano getting paid to make such a fool of himself by claiming that no black people oppose Obama, that everyone at these rallies is a Nazi, that they’re all evil-mongers, and every other meme the poor child has tried to push on this site.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — September 13, 2009 @ 1:30 am - September 13, 2009

21. What do you think the photo proves ND?
    No one is denying that there were lots of people there. 70,000 people is a lot.
    I was living in DC earlier this decade and went to a demo that tried to convince Bush not to invade Iraq. We filled streets like this with a flow of people for HOURS, marching to the Mall, which was then filled up from the Capitol all the way to the Washington Monument. That was way less than a million.

“Such as no black people participated, there were only a few hundred, that there were Nazi signs everywhere, and so forth.”

Where did I say any of that?
    THere were ObamaHitler signs, as I am sure you know, since the pictures are all over the web.

“claiming that no black people oppose Obama, that everyone at these rallies is a Nazi, ”

huh? get a grip dude. Where did you get all this?
    Or is it just that you could not finish a comment without sticking the word “black” in there somewhere?

Comment by Tano — September 13, 2009 @ 1:36 am - September 13, 2009

22. The MSM is so in-the-bag it’s pathetic.

Our local major-market “news” coverage implied it was just a handful lunatics merely blocking an intersection…even though you could see the sea of people in the camaera-shot. But they’ll play-up any anti-Bush or anti-Cheney action anywhere in the country as long as there’s carefully edited footage available.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — September 14, 2009 @ 10:57 am - September 14, 2009

23. I have done my own study base on a devised stationary methodology and calculation which you can find here:

It’s backed by visual evidence (pictures and clips) all available in the same entry, plus determining the boundaries of the rally and calculation of the final tally derived from the density of the crowd at each given block. My calculus puts the figures around 130k up to 160k.

Comment by deathbymedia — September 23, 2009 @ 1:53 pm - September 23, 2009