Carly Fiorina: Mainstream Conservative

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 3:24 pm - November 23, 2009.
Filed under: 2010 Elections,Blogging,California politics

I enjoy Michelle Malkin’s blog and find that while her rhetoric is sometimes a bit overheated, she always gets her facts right. During the 2008 campaign, for example, when other conservative bloggers breathlessly covered the “Drudge-promoted story of a McCain volunteer claiming to have been attacked by a black man whom she accused of carving a “B” in her face after spotting her McCain bumper sticker“, Michelle refused to jump on the bandwagon, finding from the outset that the story smell “awfully weird.”

Well, today, she gets her facts right in a piece on Carly Fiorina, but makes a very poor comparison, contending that that conservative woman is channeling in “her Dede Scozzafava” when she levels (what Malkin calls) her “strongest argument against DeVore [that he's] a white man and she’s not.

While I support Carly, I agree that this was not the best argument for her to make.  Fiorina is as much a mainstream conservative as DeVore.  Indeed, to compare the former HP CEO to Scozzafava only shows how different the two women are.   Fiorina opposed the “stimulus” and is against “card check” legislation, two items on the Democratic agenda the New York Republican backed.  On every major issue on which the Californian has offered an opinion, she has shown herself to be in the mainstream of American conservatism, even, alas, in her support for Proposition 8.

No wonder such Senate conservatives as Tom Coburn, Jon Kyl and James Inhofe I have backed her.

Look, I agree with Carly that she has a better chance of beating Barbara Boxer because she’s a woman.  It makes it far more difficult for that left-wing gutter politician to herself raise the gender card and play the victim (as she is certain to do).  But, this is not something Carly should have said.  It makes it look like she is campaigning on her gender whereas, she has repeatedly (and articulately) spelled out her conservative position on a number of issues.

Indeed, it causes the media to focus on that one controversial comment and ignore the other things she’s been saying.  Indeed, the headline of the American Spectator post which Michelle links focuses on that aspect of her remarks this morning at an American Spectator Newsmaker Breakfast while the text of the post indicates she spelled our her position on a broad range of issues, showing herself to be a truly mainstream conservative.

Carly may have made a controversial comment this morning, but she’s no Dede Scozzafava.  All you need do is listen to what she’s been saying on the campaign trail.

1. Speaking of gutter politcs…
    I can’t wait to see all the testimonals of former HP employees talking about how she ran that company into the ground
    How the stock Price went from $52 to $23 (while her competition’s went up in price)
    How took 20 million just to walk away from her Job
    Or her outspokenness about wanting to ship Silicon Valley Jobs overseas…

Those will play well in CA.
    Real Well.

Her candidicy + the emergance of Marco Rubio bodes well for the Dems chances!

Comment by gillie — November 23, 2009 @ 3:49 pm - November 23, 2009

2. wow, gillie, all it takes is for me to post something for you to twist facts and attack. Just gotta wonder why you spend so much time on this blog. Once again, you nitpick and ignore the point of the post, but you do like to commeent to my posts.

Should I feel flattered by your obsession or just amused?

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — November 23, 2009 @ 4:00 pm - November 23, 2009

3. For me it comes down to risk of the known/unknown. DeVore’s 100% known rating from Capitol Resource Family Impact is sufficient enough for me to risk voting for Fiorina and whatever unknowns may exist for her.

And gillie – it’s “emergence”.

Comment by Robert — November 23, 2009 @ 4:02 pm - November 23, 2009

4. I’m very much on the fence. I like what I’ve seen of Devore, I’ve seen and heard good things about Fiorina.
    They have a primary to go through, unlike Dan, I will probably sit on the side lines and see what happens.

Neither is a bad choice.

Comment by Leah — November 23, 2009 @ 5:02 pm - November 23, 2009

5. Gillie,

Polls show Marco Rubio defeats any Democrat by an even wider margin than Crist. But both defeat any opponent Dems put up against them, so your assessment of the situation is as ridiculous as your party. And Rubio’s a stud to boot.

Comment by American Elephant — November 23, 2009 @ 5:28 pm - November 23, 2009

6. It’s fun to watch the Left in Defensive mode….

Comment by Steven E. Kalbach — November 23, 2009 @ 8:07 pm - November 23, 2009

7. “gillie, all it takes is for me to post something for you to twist facts”

So Dan, what facts exactly did Gillie twist? Serious question here, I live very far from CA, and have not been following Carly very closely – and so I gotta say, the facts Gillie presents seem plausible to me, based on what I have heard.
    Please educate us. Did the value of HP not go down the way Gillie claimed? Did Carly not get 20 million with her pink slip? (gee, that would be nice, eh?). Did she not support outsourcing HP jobs? I’d love to know the actual facts, if these are not true.

Comment by Tano — November 23, 2009 @ 8:57 pm - November 23, 2009

8. Tano and Gillie. Are they the same person?

Comment by John W — November 23, 2009 @ 11:12 pm - November 23, 2009

9. AE- I checked out Wikipedia for a picture of Marco Rubio. You’re right – he is quite the stud muffin (he’d look even better with a beard & mustache). He’s just a tad too social conservative for my tastes. One interesting tidbit: if Mr. Rubio wins the seat, he will be the first Senator born in the ’70s (May 28, 1971).

Comment by Jim Michaud — November 24, 2009 @ 12:43 am - November 24, 2009

10. the emergance of Marco Rubio bodes well for the Dems chances!

Another who strikes fear in the hearts of liberals.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — November 24, 2009 @ 5:50 am - November 24, 2009