Some Gay Lefties Won’t Date Palin Supporters!

A long time ago, when I was new to the incredible intolerance of the gay left, it used to bother me when gay lefties who, initially eager to go out with me, would find their attraction turn to aversion when they learned my political affiliation.   But, as time passed, I began to see the benefits to an early (political) coming out.  You see, it gives us gay Republicans a great way to measure the character of our potential partners.

If they reject us because we’re Republicans, then we know that when choosing a mate (or just a date), they prefer social conformism to individual merit.  Judge us by outside qualities they do.  If they believe partisan differences mean romantic incompatibility, what other qualities might cause them trouble in the relationship?  By learning of their intolerance early on, we’re spared trouble down the line.

Well, the good folks at HillBuzz are just now learning this about their left-wing peers, something long familiar to us gay righties.  By openly professing their admiration for the accomplished former Governor of Alaska, they’re finding out just how intolerant their more doctrinaire left-wing peers truly are.

This past weekend, Hillbuzz reports that a fetching Ozzie took an interest in one of their friends and fellow Palin supporter.  But, as soon as he made mention of that Alaska reformer, well that interest was off.  They quickly learned that,  ”If you talk smack about Hillary Clinton or Sarah Palin, there’s not relationship potential between you and any of us here, sorry“:

Liberals have so alienated us from the Democrats, have so pushed us away from the party we used to call home, have so disgusted us with their sexist and misogynist behavior, and have attacked us so often over the last two years for not bowing down to Dr. Utopia that we honestly don’t care what these lunatics do next.  Bring it. BRING IT ON.

Wearing the Palin 2012 gear would actually make things easier for us, too, in a weird way.  It would keep people who are Utopians from ever talking to us in the first place.  If they hate Palin so much and worship at Dr. Utopia’s altar with such zeal, then it’s probably best if they don’t even introduce themselves to us.  This way, we never have to like someone for 20 minutes, only to have to walk away from him when we find out he’s a Palin hater.

So, with some gay folks, it’s not just being a Republican that causes romantic alienation.  It’s just not adhering to some politically correct set of principles, including a list of approved politicians to admire and selected politicians to hate.

Now, I wouldn’t go so far as these folks and say that Sarah Palin prevents us from dating, but expressing support for her or commitment to the basic principles of (or advocacy for) the GOP certainly reduces the number of potential dates, particularly in places like Chicago’s Boystown (the hillbuzz guys’ stomping ground) or West Hollywood (my neck of the woods).  But, then it also it also makes it easier for us to weed out the types who, well, just plain aren’t worth our time.

1. Why on earth would you even be interested in a romantic partner who didn’t share your politics? I would never date someone who was even remotely less than individualist – certainly not socialist/communist/fascist. Choosing a partner involves value judgement; if it does not you’re completely mistaking what values to pursue first (properly, physical attractiveness follows from value attractiveness, not vice versa). Politics (and religion) are usually the most prominent aspects of a person’s values (if they have any), particularly if the person is not philosophical. So, your politics aren’t “outside qualities;” they are one manifestation of your set of values – at least if you’ve thought about them, of course (see next paragraph).

Now, granted, liberals are allegedly tolerant so the hypocrisy is galling when they are, in fact, not (i.e, all the time, not just when it comes to dating), and I definitely agree with your point there. And the fact that it’s likely that the lefties you describe are not acting out of individual value judgement but out of collective group-think BS, is also duly noted.

Comment by Tim C — December 15, 2009 @ 12:38 pm - December 15, 2009

2. i completely disagree that not wanting to date someone based on political views is somehow intolerant, shallow, or close-minded. one’s political views are not some innate characteristic like hair or skin color, or even a preference as trivial as one’s favorite sports team. no, one’s political ideology can often give you a glimpse into the way in which a person views the world. if such a view is completely incompatible with your view of the world, i do not agree that such a difference should be overlooked. to extend your logic to its extreme, would someone be intolerant if he decided not to date someone else because that person’s political view was that slavery is okay? obviously i’m not saying that being a conservative is akin to supporting slavery, but the point remains that, at some point, political differences become insurmountable. at what point on the political continuum would you cut off the possibility of dating someone? someone who supports single-payer healthcare? someone who supports a more robust social safety net? someone who supports gay marriage and completely unrestricted abortion rights? someone who supports collectivism? someone who supports full-blown communism? starting to see my point?

i am not implying that people should never date or marry people identifying with the other political party. that would be ridiculous. most people in the country are not ideologues, even those who identify as republican or democrat. however, for ideologues, an understating description of most who post on this blog, your political views are more apparent, more central to your being, and more difficult to sweep aside as a mere “difference of opinion.” it’s one thing to date a relatively apathetic person who occasionally votes for the other side; it’s something completely different to date someone who relentlessly advocates views that are the very antithesis of what you believe is right.

i don’t know how matalin and carville do it.

Comment by bob (aka boob) — December 15, 2009 @ 12:47 pm - December 15, 2009

3. I’ve actually had drinks thrown on me by bar-cuties back in the Age of Reagan when I mentioned being a Republican. And was spat-upon more than once in gay bars for supporting the Republican position on some then-current controversy.

How do I find the 1-in-5 gays who actually voted Republican last year?

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — December 15, 2009 @ 12:52 pm - December 15, 2009

4. uh oh…

Tano’s never going to ask you out now, Dan…

Comment by The_Livewire — December 15, 2009 @ 1:03 pm - December 15, 2009

5. 4.
    Why only now?
    Seriously, this is a bizarre post. Of course ones political views play a large role in attraction – how could they not? They speak to character and values, and basic world view.

And how on earth can it be considered intolerant to find people with different values unattractive? Being tolerant does not mean you are obliged to embrace someone, it means you are willing to allow them to live their lives in peace even though you may profoundly disagree with their choices.

I don’t think Dan understands what the word means. To him it seems to be simply a rock he picks up to hurl at the other side.

Comment by Tano — December 15, 2009 @ 1:14 pm - December 15, 2009

6. Hey Ted B…..

It’s easy to find the 20% of gays that voted Right last year… They’re a good percentage of the gay business owners in your community… the gay executives in corporations…the devout gay church goers come Sunday morning cause they won’t stay out till 5am the night before…. You’ll seldom find them condemning anyone in a public forum… nor while protesting, are they prone to advocate causing property damage or bodily harm … In other words Ted, they’re perdy much just like the majority of the GOP…..in fact they’re probably just like you…… However, there is a caveat this time around, they’re not stepping aside or sitting idly by while wishing things would have turned out their way…. not this time….too much is at stake this time around.

Comment by Spartann — December 15, 2009 @ 1:26 pm - December 15, 2009

7. You comment about Political compatibility is applicable to a Heterosexual relationships as well.

Comment by Errol Phillips — December 15, 2009 @ 1:28 pm - December 15, 2009

8. some dude at hillbuzz states “[i]f you talk smack about [palin], there’s not relationship potential between you and any of us here, sorry.” in other words, it’s the palin supporters who are refusing to date people who are critical of palin, and yet dan declares, in his headline “some gay lefties won’t date palin supporters!” yup, i see some intolerance, but it isn’t coming from the gay lefties!

Comment by Chad — December 15, 2009 @ 1:31 pm - December 15, 2009

9. “You’ll seldom find them condemning anyone in a public forum…’

?????????????? What planet…?????

Comment by Tano — December 15, 2009 @ 1:40 pm - December 15, 2009

10. #7

Good point Chad. Not only does Dan not understand what intolerance means, he also seems not to have understood the whole point of the article he references. It is the nutjobs at Hillbuzz who are refusing to date anyone who doesn’t like Hillary or Sarah.
    Maybe he should just erase this post and start over…

Comment by Tano — December 15, 2009 @ 1:47 pm - December 15, 2009

11. It’s so much simpler when your criteria is based purely on physical attractiveness.

Comment by Ashpenaz — December 15, 2009 @ 1:48 pm - December 15, 2009

12. Because you see what you wish to see, Chad. The point of the Hillbuzz blog is that you can disagree on issues and politics and have a relationship, but the hatred and vitrol that comes from those on the left towards Sarah (and Hillary) and their supporters precludes anything else developing.

Tano, we all know you secretly lust after Dan in a submissive way, after all you keep coming back to the site to get spanked.

Comment by The_Livewire — December 15, 2009 @ 1:48 pm - December 15, 2009

13. “The point of the Hillbuzz blog is that you can disagree on issues and politics and have a relationship,’

Wow. Is that what you conclude from them saying:

” ”If you talk smack about Hillary Clinton or Sarah Palin, there’s not relationship potential between you and any of us here, sorry“”

????

Comment by Tano — December 15, 2009 @ 2:19 pm - December 15, 2009

14. Some Gay Lefties Won’t Date Palin Supporters!

No loss.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — December 15, 2009 @ 2:27 pm - December 15, 2009

15. True story: When I first met my wife she was about as left-leaning as they come. I was a conservative but I seldom discussed politics in my social circles. On our first date (back in the late 80s), she literally spent the first hour vetting me on my views on abortion, gay rights, affirmative action, capital punishment, President Reagan, etc. I answered her honestly and directly and she seemed dumbfounded. I followed up by asking her where she was born, where she grew up, did she have any siblings, etc. But she was still stuck on the answers I gave her about my politics. She sat silent for a moment and then asked, “Why on earth would a right-winger like you want to go on a date with a super liberal like me?”

I answered, “for the same reasons you agreed to come with me tonight. We seem to hit it off and I wanted to know you better.” She looked dumbfounded. She was obviously attracted to me but everything in her liberal logic told her to despise me.
    I ended the discussion by telling her that if I had to be in lockstep with all of my friends’ politics, I’d probably have no friends. I told her that I still liked her a lot despite my disagreements and I wanted to see her again. She said she’d think about it. She didn’t call me back.

Over a month passed and I got a call from her. She apologized for not calling me back but she admitted she was conflicted by the fact that she actually did have a good time with me that night. I told her I was glad she called back and asked why the change of heart. She said she promised herself and her friends that she’d never, ever get associate, let alone get romantically involved with, a conservative. But then she confessed to me about her most recent date immediately after ours with hyper-liberal guy who her lefty gal-pal set her up with. She said it he looked great “on paper” but he did nothing but get on her nerves the entire night. She said he seemed obsessed with politics. For the entire evening all he wanted to talk about was Roe v. Wade, Palestinian oppression, South African apartheid and Reagan’s S.D.I. Zero chemistry between them. Not once did he come up for air to ask her about her interests, dreams, goals. For someone who seemed so intellectually agile, he seemed rather shallow to her. His politics all but defined him as an individual and it made her wonder if I saw her in the same light. I told her that I thought she was a good person with a big heart and that I was still incredibly attracted to her despite her politics. She was relieved that her political zeal didn’t scare me off. I asked her to go out with me again and she agreed.

We’ve been together for over 20 years and to everyone’s amazement, we found ourselves agreeing on issues a lot more often than not.

Side note: she is now a conservative but through no effort of my own. And even if she weren’t, I’d love her all the same.

Comment by Sharp Right Turn — December 15, 2009 @ 2:32 pm - December 15, 2009

16. SRT, great story and I feel much the same way. I live in a world where most people don’t understand liberty and the importance of small government. Fine. Whatever. They might have other great qualities and I can still relate to them. Provided, of course, that they are willing. If they are so closed and politicaly obsessed that *they* are unwilling to relate to anyone politically different from themselves, well at that point, it’s not my loss.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — December 15, 2009 @ 2:49 pm - December 15, 2009

17. Re: #14

That is a great story, Sharp Right Turn. My own wife and I went through something similar. We were about as far apart as they come politically when we first met — and still are on a lot of issues — but we’ve been a couple for 10 years now and married for closing in on 5 years. We just shake our heads at the people we know (on both sides) who won’t even go out for a drink with someone that disagrees with them politically. And I don’t even want to think how the last 10 years of our lives would have been different if I had thought that way or, even worse, if she had.

Comment by Wesley M. — December 15, 2009 @ 2:58 pm - December 15, 2009

18. TGCpartner and I have been together 13 years in January. He’s not very interested in current events or politics much beyond what he sees on the 10 o’clock news. Well, he does ask me for more information about certain stories, but otherwise, he doesn’t seek to find out more. He knows that I check out Drudge and the blogs.

He says that he doesn’t like using the computer because he’s on one all day at work, so he doesn’t do anything on the internet. He also doesn’t like reading unless he has to. He says that he got his fill of reading while working on his BA.

He’s pretty much a Conservative while maintaining that he’ll vote for whomever he thinks is best suited for the job. However, based on the above info, I don’t know that he would be willing to really dig for more info on a candidate. I keep trying to get him more interested in reading, computer usage etc. for just such an occasion.

I don’t think he has, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he voted for a candidate just because they’re gay. He was glad Parker was elected mayor of Houston. He’ll sit through the most vapid gay movies because he feels it’s important to “support the community”.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — December 15, 2009 @ 3:09 pm - December 15, 2009

19. Being tolerant does not mean you are obliged to embrace someone, it means you are willing to allow them to live their lives in peace even though you may profoundly disagree with their choices.

Therefore, the liberal left is intolerant of Palin and anybody who supports her.

Thanks for pointing that out, Tano.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — December 15, 2009 @ 3:17 pm - December 15, 2009

20. Values are important when seeking out a mate and politics and religion help to form those

I think the problem is, which I have experienced, is not the difference in views but the way the other person (almost, almost always the person who is left politically) reacts to the one who is right politically. Usually its by contempt and ridicule. Topped off with self righteousness and sanctimoniousness.

A polite conversation with a cordial parting of the ways goes a long way

Comment by Evans Tibetsy — December 15, 2009 @ 3:23 pm - December 15, 2009

21. Therefore, the liberal left is intolerant of Palin and anybody who supports “her.”

Huh???
    You want to at least make an effort to make your point?
    Believe me on this TGC, no one is actually going to round up Sarah or her supporters and send them to a FEMA reeducation camp. Really…

Comment by Tano — December 15, 2009 @ 3:28 pm - December 15, 2009

22. It’s not true that people with differing political views cannot date or have a relationship, and to question the compatibility of someone’s good-faith beliefs and values with your own is to be as intolerant as those about whom we are posting.

While I, too, have experienced my fellow gay people literally turning their backs on me for being Republican, I also have met thoughtful Democrats as close to the center of the left hemisphere as I am to the center of the right hemisphere.

I have been “married” (oh that we could!) to a center-leftie for five years now. We focused on our commonalities, not our differences. (Read on for an explanation of the use of the past tense in that last sentence.) In 2007, he defected to our side of the fence as the result of watching the abysmal treatment I received among our gay peers for daring to think independently. Once he realized that — in spite of the so-called commitment to diversity liberals espouse — diversity of thought is not permitted among their ranks, he could no longer associate himself with a Democrat party that could not see him as anything but a part of a group and that requires thought in lock step.

But for three years, we had complete domestic tranquility and harmony, as we do today, in spite of that small difference on our voter registration cards. Let us conservatives not be as small minded as the faction of liberals (albeit a large one) mentioned here. And let’s not assume that every gay liberal will reject us for *our* good faith beliefs and values. I didn’t, and it got me the best partner anyone could ever ask for.

Comment by Scott V — December 15, 2009 @ 3:55 pm - December 15, 2009

23. All Tano has done is to show up his own bigotry and intolerance of others, as he slurs people like the Hillbuzz boys.

The story on Hillbuzz shows that the lefties are extremely intolerant. What Daniel did not mention is that the Hillbuzz boys have been insulted and bashed, and yes, even placed in Coventry because of their support of both Hillary and Sarah Palin.

These men live in a rather interesting location in Chicago, right in the middle of where people sacrifice on the altar of Dr. Utopia. They know the hardships associated with their stance. However, what they recognize, and from my POV it is an innate quality that exists within them, is that there are people who go along with DailyKos and the like, and if they are told to hate, then they will hate that person. These are men who buck that same system, and they are being true to themselves. Plus they are extremely funny and witty with some of the things that they say.

People like Tano and Tim show the utter shallowness of those same lefties, the way that they lie to themselves and project their own likes and dislikes and intolerance onto others.

Comment by StraightAussie — December 15, 2009 @ 4:06 pm - December 15, 2009

24. i don’t know how matalin and carville do it.

I think I do… politics is their job. I think they can come home from it and separate themselves from it. They both seem to also have a great sense of humor about things (Carville’s trashcan-on-head moment is one example). Though they are both obviously very very passionate about the topic, they both realize there are more important things in this world than political orientation. Now that I’ve written this, watch they announce their divorce today.

TGC… Ha! I have you beat by six months! The Sonic-mate and I have been together since July 1996.

SRT – That is a wonderful story, and well written. Do you have a blog by chance that we can visit / promote?

Comment by sonicfrog — December 15, 2009 @ 4:07 pm - December 15, 2009

25. Well said, Scott V. Great story.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — December 15, 2009 @ 4:08 pm - December 15, 2009

26. And no, Scott V…. I (in boldface type) have the best partner anyone could ever ask for!!! :-)

Comment by sonicfrog — December 15, 2009 @ 4:11 pm - December 15, 2009

27. I understand why they said that, they have seen the harm of the lefts lies. They have documented for a long time their experiences in Chicago, you have to go back and read their posts. They have also done their homework on Gov Palin. They understand why the country will wait in freezing weather to see her, she’s is authentic and true. Do your homework.

Comment by jann — December 15, 2009 @ 4:33 pm - December 15, 2009

28. [...] Some Gay Lefties Won’t Date Palin Supporters! [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Why Do Some on Left Demonize Dissent? — December 15, 2009 @ 4:42 pm - December 15, 2009

29. Most of my friends are leftists, and my ladyfriends, as well. I’m a Libertarian, which means that I seem to be “Left” on some issues and “Right” on others. This seems to afford me the equivalent of protective cover for a while, but sooner or later I’ll say something heretical and the jig is up.

It usually does not avail me to explain that libertarianism is a cohesive, consistent philosophy — that, in fact, it was the founding philosophy of this country. Some elements of both “Left” and “Right” can be found in it because it’s the fertile soil from which both traditions sprouted. All that is usually lost on them.

Most hard-core Leftists seem to think like children. This or that would be nice, and if the world was just, then it ought to be that way. The fact that it is NOT that way barely fazes them. They want ice cream and sunshine and unicorns, and anyone who so much as points out to them that this earth can never be Heaven must be a mean person.

There are a great many conservatives I don’t like at all. Some of them don’t like me, either. But I may vote for their candidate when the time comes, and if they’re grownups, that’s enough for them.

In my search for a wife, I’m holding out for the one in five. She’ll be well worth it.

Comment by Lori Heine — December 15, 2009 @ 5:04 pm - December 15, 2009

30. I did the transition from liberal to libertarian conservative in my last relationship. But I love a good debate, and it frustrated him that he couldn’t figure out where I really stood on an issue. And it’ll likely become an issue with the current potential date, who’s a self-professed Democrat – AND a business owner! (I’m still trying to reconcile those positions!)

Comment by Jax Dancer — December 15, 2009 @ 5:22 pm - December 15, 2009

31. Huh???
    You want to at least make an effort to make your point?

You made the point. Not surprised you’re confrused.

FEMA reeducation camps? Perhaps no, but the liberal left has and will do everything they can to destroy her and her family. We also know that the law is no impediment to the depths the despicable liberal left will stoop to.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — December 15, 2009 @ 5:35 pm - December 15, 2009

32. The premise suggested in post title is not making any sense to me viz the blog reference. It seems it’s the HillBuzz guys who are actually practicing intolerance.

But I agree the further left one is, the less tolerent one seems. The converse also seems true as the further right one is……….

BTW, the Carville/Matlins are perfectly charming. Since making New Orleans their home, we’ve had several occasions to be in their company. She is wonderful.

Comment by David in N.O. — December 15, 2009 @ 6:51 pm - December 15, 2009

33. not to pile on the hillbuzz guys (ha!), but i had another thought. in their own words, they won’t date anyone who “talks smack about hillary clinton or sarah palin…”

really? then who are they willing to date? sounds to me like the hillbuzz boys have pretty much limited their dating options to each other.

Comment by Chad — December 15, 2009 @ 7:46 pm - December 15, 2009

34. Many people have let politics permeate every aspect of their lives. Pity. Knowing someone’s political affiliation says little about what is in that person’s heart or what kind of person someone is. There are kind and loving Democrats, there are kind and loving Republicans. There are mean-spirited and selfish Democrats, there are mean-spirited and selfish Republicans.

Comment by Niall — December 15, 2009 @ 8:35 pm - December 15, 2009

35. My experience has been that democrat/conservative sex is, well, wild. However, I, too, find that democrats(liberals) just will not date me in a serious manner. I am open-minded enough to at least give it a try.

Comment by Michael — December 15, 2009 @ 8:54 pm - December 15, 2009

36. Uhm, Michael… could you elaborate…

In other words, Details! We Want Salacious Juicy Details!!!! :-)

Comment by sonicfrog — December 15, 2009 @ 8:58 pm - December 15, 2009

37. “Seriously, I hold pederastic felchers in higher regard than the people you surround yourself with and defend.”

Great TGC. Thank you for clarifying the type of character that you have. I am sure you will win great support from your comrades here.

Ironic no? The whole point of this thread is how the left (!!!) supposedly is so dementedly intolerant that they cannot even date a conservative. And you, the gross and revolting fool that you are, think you are supporting their argument by demonstrating that you prefer pederasts to anyone who would admire and support our president, or who might support health care reform, or keeping our economy out of a depression etc.

Well played old man.

Comment by Tano — December 15, 2009 @ 10:07 pm - December 15, 2009

38. nd you, the gross and revolting fool that you are, think you are supporting their argument by demonstrating that you prefer pederasts to anyone who would admire and support our president, or who might support health care reform, or keeping our economy out of a depression etc.

Jeezus H.! You just sink deeper and deeper into a pit of dumb with every post. I’m not the one supporting an unhealthy and creepy obsession with an infant who has Down Syndrome.

What’s more, if you gave a sweet rat’s ass about keeping the economy out of a depression, you would have laughed Maobama’s sorry, crooked ass back to Chicago.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — December 16, 2009 @ 12:10 am - December 16, 2009

39. “I’m not the one supporting an unhealthy and creepy obsession with an infant who has Down Syndrome. ”

Huh? And who is? Obama? Me? What are you talking about you decrepit old pederast lover.

Comment by Tano — December 16, 2009 @ 12:48 am - December 16, 2009

40. I don’t think this applies to all relationships. My mom is a liberal and my dad a conservative. The three of us have had many interesting discussions and the fact that they are different politically, I think, actually strengthens their relationship.

Comment by Az Mo — December 16, 2009 @ 1:45 am - December 16, 2009

41. I think the people here defending inter-party dating are missing the HillBuzz fellas’ point. They are not talking about rejecting Democrats or even leftists who may disagree with their point of view. They’re talking about people who are demonstrating hateful and misogynistic behavior. They are perfectly willing to be friends with people who disagree with Palin, but not people who spout off hateful rants about her.

Comment by Amy K. — December 16, 2009 @ 1:54 am - December 16, 2009

42. Amy K, thanks for saying that so well and so succinctly.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — December 16, 2009 @ 2:20 am - December 16, 2009

43. Hey Tano………. seriously, when’s the last time you were bitch slapped ?

Comment by Spartann — December 16, 2009 @ 8:26 am - December 16, 2009

44. #43: Well, he wasn’t exactly “bitch slapped,” but there was that time he tried to steal some mid-western girl’s ruby slippers.

Comment by Sean A — December 16, 2009 @ 10:14 am - December 16, 2009

45. sorry amy and dan, but i think you guys are wrong about your characterization of hillbuzz. again, i quote the hillbuzz’s actual post: “…simon was hitting everything out of the park until he started talking about how much he hated sarah palin…simon DIDN’T toss out the usual gay male grenades at palin: calling her a c***, a b****…” (my emphasis) it’s a little unclear about what simon actually said, but it doesn’t seem explicitly mysogynist to me (if you see something different, point it out, please). simon was just giving his opinion, and doing so in an unoffensive manner. but even though simon expressed his opinion without resorting to profanity or name-calling, he was still deemed undateable. i think it’s fair to say that when the hillbuzz guys say they won’t date you if you “talk smack” about hillary or palin, they aren’t talking about only mysogynist or sexist criticism.

i’ve never had occassion to read hillbuzz, but the more i look at it, the less authentic it seems. i question whether its writers were ever truly democrats, liberals or hillary supporters.

Comment by Chad — December 16, 2009 @ 11:26 am - December 16, 2009

46. What’s hilarious is that some of us were speculating off-line how the troll brigade would respond to this item; and the lefties behaved exactly as predicted.

Comment by V the K — December 16, 2009 @ 2:21 pm - December 16, 2009

47. Sorry Chad, but if I started talking about how much I hated Obama (which I don’t) and that he was muslim and a Kenyan, but didn’t call him a n– or a c–, how reasonable would you think I was about liberals? I think most would decide right there I was probably not worth the effort. Simply leaving off the pejorative racial words while still exhibiting the frothing at the mouth behavior does not make me a great gal.

Comment by Amy K. — December 16, 2009 @ 3:19 pm - December 16, 2009

48. Especially when I was chatting up a potential date. How knee-jerk my hate for Obama must be that I insert it innapropriately into a situation where it is obviously out of place and the opinion unasked for.

Comment by Amy K. — December 16, 2009 @ 3:35 pm - December 16, 2009

49. I don’t understand. After all the diatribes about how liberals hate America blah blah blah, you want to date one? Why would any liberal date someone who obviously has such a low opinion of their world view and their values?

This complaint comes up often from gay Republicans and I always find it baffling. Why not go online and find some other conservatives to date? That would seem to be an obvious solution.

Comment by Houndentenorrs — December 16, 2009 @ 6:31 pm - December 16, 2009

50. Hound–please find where I have said all liberals hate America. Please also address points I have made (in posts too numerous to mention) about my liberal friends whose company I enjoy despite our policy differences.

Thanks.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — December 16, 2009 @ 6:36 pm - December 16, 2009

51. sure amy, the exclusion of words like c*** or b**** doesn’t preclude the possibility that simon was mysogynist or sexist. but all that does is underscore the ambiguity of the hillbuzz post. where, in the hillbuzz post, do see any indication that simon was mysogynist? or even unreasonable? all we know is that simon said he hated palin, and that alone was sufficient for the boys hillbuzz to tell him to buzz off. you assert that hillbuzz is open to dating people that criticize palin, providing that their criticism is reasonable (whatever that means). yet you don’t point to anything in the actual post to support this assertion. as i said before, i definitely see some intolerance in the hillbuzz post, but it’s not coming from the lefties.

Comment by Chad — December 16, 2009 @ 7:43 pm - December 16, 2009

52. Chad: How is it that you quote Hillbuzz, but earlier claim you’ve never read their site? How could you possibly understand their intent without reading the entire post?
    You couldn’t, that’s why.

Conservatives and independents are swarming the Hillbuzz site in droves.
    I don’t see as many here, but after reading such idiotic interpretations of their posts(that none seem to have read) I can see why.
    Well, back to a more enlightening and intelligent site!
    This one is neither enlightening nor funny.
    Ta!

Comment by Tammy — December 17, 2009 @ 10:15 pm - December 17, 2009

53. Chad,

The buzz boys have gone over the atmosphere in Boystown at length. There are threads on how they were attacked physically and verbally; even on their old site, hardly an issue of disagreeing politically. How many of their posts did you read? Did you even read all of the one? No, of course not.

Tammy, you forgot about the Libertarians and PUMAs too.

Comment by Kei — December 18, 2009 @ 2:07 am - December 18, 2009

54. [...] involving Palin’s visor and Bush strategist: Don’t write off Sarah Palin for 2012 GayPatriot: Some Gay Lefties Won’t Date Palin Supporters! Conservatives4Palin: Sarah Palin, Man of the Year Frugal Café Blog Zone: Closing Out 2009 [...]

Pingback by Kapow! Six Weeks at Number 1, Palin’s “Going Rogue” Still Going Strong, Beck’s at Number 3 (video) « Frugal Café Blog Zone — January 3, 2010 @ 7:17 am - January 3, 2010

55. [...] and It’s official: Atlantic magazine blogger suffers Palin-Induced Psychosis GayPatriot: Some Gay Lefties Won’t Date Palin Supporters! Frugal Café Blog Zone: Philosophical Divide & Moral Relativism: Sarah Palin vs. Katie Couric [...]

Pingback by Yglesias: woman tied for Most Admired in US, Sarah Palin, is unpopular; really? you made that up yourself, did ya? hahaha « VotingFemale Speaks! — January 7, 2010 @ 2:09 pm - January 7, 2010

56. Seriously, what’s your point? People have all sorts of criteria about who they date. I don’t think I’d date a boy who I couldn’t talk to about (either) books or politics. Does that make me intolerant? And if someone’s political beliefs really turned me off, to the extent that I’d normally wonder of someone what respect I’d have for them, there’s a good chance I wouldn’t date them. I could be wrong, after initial disagreement, I could find I really get along with someone, but it’s a good time-serving indicator, often acted on unconsciously.

Comment by William — January 7, 2010 @ 3:25 pm - January 7, 2010