AGW Guru Pachauri is Economist, not Climate Scientist

Not too long ago, one of our critics faulted me for not fact-checking a line in a recent post.*  I had said something appeared to be true because the only confirmation I had (of this point) was a response to a friend’s facebook posting.  Given that man’s criticism, I am relieved I have never blogged about Dr. Rajendra Pachauri, the head of the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), a man “considered the top climate scientist in the world“.

You see, I had always considered Dr. Pachauri, who (as head of the IPCC) shares a Nobel Prize with Al Gore, for “their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change“, was a trained climate scientist, with an education and background in geology or meteorology, or some science closely related to the study of the earth and its atmosphere.  Had I, based on his prominence in the promotion of the notion of Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW), called him a climatologist, I would have been wrong.  And my left-wing critics would have surely excoriated me for the misrepresentation.

You see, Dr Pachauri “often presented as a scientist (he was even once described by the BBC as ‘the world’s top climate scientist’)” is, in actuality, “a former railway engineer with a PhD in economics”.  He “has no qualifications in climate science at all.”  Not just that, he stands to benefit financially from the various schemes recommended by the IPCC.

No wonder Ed Morrissey describes Pachauri as “the perfect pick to lead the effort” to promote “AGW hysteria”:

It’s all about economics, not the climate or science at all.  It’s an excuse to impose a massive transfer of wealth from developed nations to Third World dictatorships, and people like Pachauri have positioned themselves to get rich on the transactions.

He does have a lot in common with Al Gore.

FROM THE COMMENTS:  My pal Sonicfrog gives me some gentle (I hope) ribbing:

Man, you are so behind the times. I gave the good Dr some bloogy love way back in Nov of last year. One of the best things about Climategate is that people are starting to pay attention to things we’ve been pointing out for years.

*The delicious irony is that the line in question benefited my critic’s argument.  And was later be verified by a reader.

1. Dan, please delete my first attempted comment. It should have looked like this.

Comment by Sonicfrog — December 20, 2009 @ 8:30 pm - December 20, 2009

2. My standard rebuttal to the Global-Warming Kooks is what did they think the polar bears did when my Viking relatives were farming and raising cattle in Greenland? Or during the Classical Greek and Roman periods when Greece and Italy were warm enough to parade around in sheets?

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — December 20, 2009 @ 9:35 pm - December 20, 2009

3. I enjoy showing people the web page of Al Gore’s company… you know the one that sells the “Carbon credits”… I show them the board of director’s list and ask them to fins the scientists. Most are surprised only one is listed as a scientist, ALL of the rest come from the financial field.

The only green they are interested in is the green in my pocket.

Comment by Stone K — December 20, 2009 @ 10:22 pm - December 20, 2009

4. Many of these “thousands of scientists” that supposedly comprise the “consensus” aren’t, or are not of a discipline that would have anything to do with the study of alleged global warmism.

Further, I firmly believe our energies would be better spent fighting man made continental drift.

UNITE PANGAEA!!!

Comment by ThatGayConservative — December 21, 2009 @ 1:34 am - December 21, 2009

5. @Ted,
    the Spartans did more than parade around in togas :). They used to go around stark naked!!! Yep, even held their Olympics in the buff.

Comment by StraightAussie — December 21, 2009 @ 2:01 am - December 21, 2009

6. What is really funny, or strange if you wish, is that more and more scientists are coming out…. on the side of AGW skeptics. Over and over again I am reading articles by scientists who were denied the opportunity to have their papers published. This scandal is not finished by a long mile.

Comment by StraightAussie — December 21, 2009 @ 2:03 am - December 21, 2009

7. #5

Which made the olympic wrestling much more interesting I assume…

Comment by The_Livewire — December 21, 2009 @ 6:47 am - December 21, 2009

8. Ah, the Good Ol’ Days! 🙂

Comment by Sonicfrog — December 21, 2009 @ 10:22 am - December 21, 2009

9. Can’t remember the last time I watched the olympics. I don’t even watch the opening and closing ceremonies anymore. Now if they actually went back to competing in athletic events, instead of synchronized pill popping, and did so au naturale, I might be more inclined to watch.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — December 21, 2009 @ 11:21 am - December 21, 2009

10. I don’t watch much either. For me, three things take away the excitement I once felt for the event.

1. The end of the cold war. It just isn’t the same without the thrill of competing against the obviously juiced Cold War foes. Yes, there is still China, but we buy their crap from Wal Mart. The greatest competition we now have with them is trying to avoid buying Chinese produced steel to reinforce our bridges (ORA – The Bay Bridge fiasco), avoiding the purchase of Chinese made bearings (even more ORA – automotive mechanics humor), and keeping the lead out of our toys.

2. Alternating the Olympics into a two year event. It was just better when you had to wait four years to get all your Olympics joneses satisfied

And finally

3. Letting professional athletes compete in events. Yeah, our amateurs often got beat by other countries professionals, but that was so much of the excitement. Was thee any better Olympic moment than the very amateur US ice hockey team beating the Ruskies for the gold in 1980? Why was the first Rocky or Karate Kid movie so fun? Because, on paper, they were nobodies who beat the odds! This change took away so much of the thrill I ended up rooting for the various “Dream Teams” we put out in competition TO FAIL, hopefully spectacularly! I know, I know, the Europeans and other countries do it… So What! Look. Just because other countries have socialized medicine, doesn’t mean we have to… oh, wait.

To badly paraphrase Linus, who I played in the 5th grade presentation of It’s A Charlie Brown Christmas “it’s gotten too commercial Charlie Brown”.

Comment by Sonicfrog — December 21, 2009 @ 12:33 pm - December 21, 2009

11. Here’s a great article from another economist.

Comment by The_Livewire — December 22, 2009 @ 10:37 am - December 22, 2009

12. […] Oh, and, this fellow Pachauri, he’s not a climate scientist. He got is Ph.D. in economics. Comments (0) […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » So, all their gloom & doom is based on reports riddled with errors? — January 23, 2010 @ 3:09 am - January 23, 2010