Dick Cheney: Conservative of the Decade

I’m writing this on my iPhone with a new WordPress app. If it works, I’ll be blogging more!!

Yesterday, Human Events declared Dick Cheney to be the “Conservative of the Year.” (read the whole thing!)

In Washingtonian “inside the Beltway” terms, the most amazing aspect of former Vice President Dick Cheney’s new clout is that he is achieving it the old-fashioned way: talking about public policy. He is not running for President or any other office. He has not formed a PAC or a D.C. lobbying firm. He is not dishing on former colleagues, not spreading gossip, not settling scores. He is, instead, writing a memoir about his extensive career in public service, and giving occasional speeches and interviews, mostly on national and homeland security policy, long his central focus.

How is it, therefore, that someone who has no political ambitions can cause so much angst at the White House and in the mainstream news media? The irrefutable answer is that what Cheney is saying, primarily on foreign policy, defense and anti-terrorism, makes sense to more and more American citizens growing increasingly worried by the Obama Administration’s insouciance when U.S. national interests are threatened, both at home and abroad.

I’ll go one further. Cheney is without doubt The Conservative of The Decade and perhaps the most important and influential true American Conservative since Ronald Reagan.

Cheney proves again and again that he has core values and principles that are TRULY conservative and mirror the Founding Principles of this nation.

His devotion to individual American freedom and liberty is so pure that he becomes a progressive on the issue of gay marriage.

History will judge Cheney well. He helped make decisions that needed to be made to save the Republic. And I am confident that by 2012, a majority of Americans will only wish that Dick Cheney was our President or Vice President.

– Bruce (GayPatriot)

UPDATE (from Dan):  The former Vice President is not only, as Bruce noted above, devoted to his country, but also to his family, including his lesbian daughter.  He has treated Mary as we wish all parents to treat their gay children, loving her for who she is, welcoming Heather, her partner, into the family as he has her elder sister’s husband, including that same-sex couple in official events, including three inaugurations.

It is unfortunate that more gay Americans, including the heads of various gay organizations, don’t give this good man his due.  They may not share his politics, but they should at least appreciate his example.

1. Here here!

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — December 22, 2009 @ 2:55 pm - December 22, 2009

2. In foreign policy / protecting America: Bruce, I think you’re right and agree 100% that Cheney is a great American.

In domestic policy / the economy: Not so much. Honesty requires us to remember that Cheney is the guy who said, “Deficits don’t matter”… encouraging Bush administration deficits and contributing to the financial crisis. (Which Obama-Greid-Bernanke are now in the process of making worse.)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — December 22, 2009 @ 3:44 pm - December 22, 2009

3. I love that app! I just wish it handled photographs better. :0)

Comment by Beverly Lynn — December 22, 2009 @ 4:49 pm - December 22, 2009

4. John Bolton wrote that article for Human Events, which I assume is what you’re blanking on.

Comment by Jax Dancer — December 22, 2009 @ 5:36 pm - December 22, 2009

5. God bless Dick Cheney. Hear, hear!

Comment by Conservative Guy — December 22, 2009 @ 6:27 pm - December 22, 2009

6. Thanks Jax — the folks at CPAC let me know that too. I’ve modified the original post with a link to the Bolton-penned article.

Comment by GayPatriot — December 22, 2009 @ 6:48 pm - December 22, 2009

7. I’ll drink to that.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — December 22, 2009 @ 7:28 pm - December 22, 2009

8. remember that Cheney is the guy who said, “Deficits don’t matter”

I’ve never seen the actual article or interview, or whatever it was, where he said that. Was he speaking in general or in regards to national security? If it was the latter, and I think it was, I tend to agree.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — December 22, 2009 @ 7:30 pm - December 22, 2009

9. Oh I found it. It was a quote via Paul O’Neil who himself said that strengthening the dollar doesn’t matter.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — December 22, 2009 @ 7:46 pm - December 22, 2009

10. TGC, right. The full quote is “You know, Paul, Reagan proved deficits don’t matter… We won the midterms. This [tax cut package] is our due.”

Cheney got it half right: Tax cuts tend to grow the economy. But the Bush administration increased *domestic* spending by high percentages year after year, well in excess of Clinton’s growth rates. Growing government is not how to grow an economy.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — December 22, 2009 @ 10:32 pm - December 22, 2009

11. Great American my ass…had he followed the Constitutional guidelines during the ratification of the electoral collage votes we would not be loosing our Freedoms as we are about to. He failed to ask for objections..there were to be a few..I know for certain of at least one. Both he and bush had an obligation and a responsibility to demand that all documents be presented showing oboe’s eligibility..neither of them did..hence we have a usurper in the wh…great American…? Yeah right…NOT.

Comment by left leaning lesbian — December 23, 2009 @ 5:43 am - December 23, 2009

12. Have they stopped teaching basic spelling and grammatical skills at left-leaning, small case lesbian high schools & colleges?

Comment by GayPatriot — December 23, 2009 @ 11:48 am - December 23, 2009

13. […] we named Dick Cheney the “Conservative of the Decade” partly for staying pure to his conservative principles about American security in a time of war […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » CHENEY BLASTS OBAMA OVER AMERICAN SECURITY — December 30, 2009 @ 11:20 am - December 30, 2009

14. I find I am in complete agreement with Mr. Cheney when it comes to the Waronterror. Is he writing a book these days? Just wondered.

Comment by R. H. Maas — January 14, 2010 @ 5:56 pm - January 14, 2010