After typing out my piece wondering whether any MSM outlet will list Tea Parties as one of the political phenomena of 2009, I considered what those big stories might be. So, about an hour ago, I scribbled out a list of what I thought were the big issues of this year about to conclude. In no particular order:
- Obama’s inauguration and his pushing of a great variety of big government initiatives and regulatory schemes at the legislative and administrative level. Focus on health care in the second half of the year even as fewer Americans see health care reform as most pressing issue.
- His blaming Bush for the problems he “inherited” as deficit skyrockets and unemployment increases.
- Increased poltical polarization in Washington.
- Stabilization of financial markets.
- Obama’s “smart” diplomacy, apologizing abroad, but achieving few results.
- Continued decline of MSM.
- Climategate and increased skepticism about anthropogenic global warming.
- Iranian uprising and its brutal suppression.
- Revival of the conservative movement/energy of Tea Party protesters.
Did I miss any? What do you guys think were the big political stories of 2009?