GOProud Muzzled at CPAC?

Posted by Average Gay Joe at 2:56 pm - December 28, 2009.
Filed under: CPAC,GOProud

According to Wing Nut World Net Daily, the controversy over GOProud‘s participation at CPAC, sparked by social cons objecting to their presence, has brought a mixed response from conference organizers. While GOProud is being allowed to participate, including having a booth at the conference, it appears that they are not being allowed any kind of speaking role:

[American Conservative Union chief David] Keene admitted GOProud “has signed on as a CPAC co-sponsor, but will have no speakers and we told them that, in fact, since opposition to gay marriage, etc are consensus positions (if not unanimous) among conservatives, these topics are not open to debate.”

In the December 8th announcement of GOProud’s co-sponsorship of CPAC, Executive Director Jimmy La Salvia stated the following:

This gathering of the nation’s most influential conservatives gives us an incredible opportunity to deliver our message. GOProud looks forward to continuing to work with the conservative movement to promote policies that will improve the lives of all Americans – including gays and lesbians.

With the ACU appearing to cave-in partially at least to social con pressure, how exactly is GOProud planning on “delivering their message”? How is the participation of a muzzled GOProud at CPAC any different than that of the Log Cabin Republicans over the previous few years? A different name slapped on the booth? A better spot amongst the “cool kids”?

I trust that GOProud will respond to Mr. Keene’s announced muzzling of their group and explain what exactly they hope to accomplish that makes this worth it. Right now I must say that I remain skeptical that this is anything more than a dog-and-pony show: CPAC gets to trot out the conservative/libertarian gays when needed to allay any concerns of anti-gay bigotry the general public might have about the GOP, while slapping a muzzle on them when the social cons start getting queasy about queers forgetting their place. Certainly my skepticism is misplaced here, no? We shall see…

— John (Average Gay Joe)

[UPDATE from Bruce (GayPatriot): I see that Jimmy LaSalvia has added a comment to this posting and I’ve also been in communication with Chris Barron, Chairman of GOProud, today about this issue.  Chris tells me the following:  “We haven’t been muzzled at all by CPAC. No one has told us that there are things we can’t talk about and no decisions have been made about speakers.”

I should note for the record that I am the Treasurer of GOProud.]

1. 30: LCR has been doing that for years and I do not see what difference that has made. Is GOProud planning on something different at CPAC?

Comment by John — December 30, 2009 @ 3:03 pm - December 30, 2009

2. 28: The shenanigans at LCR of their being on the take for Dem activists may have raised eyebrows, but I think you’re kidding yourself if you really believe this is the primary reason why GOProud faces skepticism in the GOP.

As an aside, off the top of my head I can’t think of anything I disagree with LCR on issue-wise (except hate crimes which I’m neutral towards). LCR and GOProud seem to be very similiar to me, though I’m not a member of either so there are probably differences I’m not aware of. Yet given the shenanigans of LCR that were exposed recently and the refusal of top LCR officers to step down, I can understand why GOProud was formed. Skeptical I remain of how effective either will be in the GOP but I do wish them success.

Comment by John — December 30, 2009 @ 3:10 pm - December 30, 2009

3. I am willing, for the sake of truth, to say “Leftist gays lie in order to infiltrate and undermine.” But what the world thinks is that gays in general lie in order to infiltrate and undermine.

So many things wrong with that, it’s hard to know where to start. I’ll just restrict myself to a couple.
    – You don’t know what “the world” thinks. You don’t speak for “the world”. Also, “the world” isn’t a monolith. Groups don’t think; only individuals do.
    – In reality, you often do not say “leftist gays”. That’s the point.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — December 30, 2009 @ 4:41 pm - December 30, 2009

4. I would say that the majority of Americans’ opposition to gay marriage, gays in the military, and gays in church leadership suggests that “the world,” which is a hyperbole for “general consensus,” wants to protect those institutions from being undermined by a “gay agenda,” that is, sexual liberation and amorality.

The reason we have trouble gaining a voice in groups like CPAC is because when conservatives see us coming, they say, “Oh, no, now we have to fight off the gays–they’re dressed right and they say the right things, but underneath, they’re selling the same old gay agenda. They just want in so they can tear us down, and if we let them speak, that will be just the start.”

Gee, if only I weren’t so self-loathing, I’d see the happy rainbow world people like you see.

Comment by Ashpenaz — December 30, 2009 @ 7:00 pm - December 30, 2009

5. “the world,” which is a hyperbole for “general consensus,”

Again: The “consensus” you claim does not exist. And as neither you nor anyone speaks for “the world”, neither you nor anyone would be in a position to positively claim that it does.

But here is the real translation of your comment: Ashpenaz gets to say stupid and offensive things, then later fault people who found his remarks stupid and offensive, because it was so-called “hyperbole”.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — December 30, 2009 @ 7:42 pm - December 30, 2009

6. Not to mention be completely wrong about gays in the military, if polls are to be believed, and as far as church leadership goes that depends upon one’s church. Of course the latter isn’t even an issue here and something each church can and will decide for themselves.

Comment by John — December 30, 2009 @ 8:58 pm - December 30, 2009

7. How is this not being muzzled?

Again, how can you be muzzled if you weren’t planning on speaking in the first place?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — December 31, 2009 @ 1:29 am - December 31, 2009

8. I keep forgetting the Gay Motto. Let’s see, it goes something like this:

“Gays problems everywhere, throughout all time, are not due to anything gays might have done but are entirely due to other people’s homophobia. Anyone who says differently is a bigot or a self-loathing queen.”

Can I have my toaster now?

Comment by Ashpenaz — December 31, 2009 @ 11:10 am - December 31, 2009

9. But heck, they let in the Birchers last I heard. Whats up with that…

Comment by mrbill — January 1, 2010 @ 3:06 am - January 1, 2010

10. Sweet Jesus! It’s bad enough that this thread got beyond #2. The fact that it went beyond #32 really makes me sad.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 1, 2010 @ 6:18 am - January 1, 2010

11. I applaud GOProud’s sponsorship of CPAC. Part of the reason for going to these conventions is to show the attendees that we are normal, conventional people who lead lives that are similiar to their own.

Comment by Terry Hamilton — January 1, 2010 @ 9:32 pm - January 1, 2010

12. Conservatives are not stupid we know that GoProuds efforts are to drive a wedge down into the center of the Conservative ideology. This is all about the Homosexual agenda forcing its way onto Conservative Americans like it or not. It is a bitter hateful agenda that will not stop until the Bible is re-written and Conservative thought is re-made into the image of Nancy Peolosi. CPAC should be ashamed of themselves for even entertaining the idea of taking this deal from the devil and their Director fired: Print…

Comment by Phil Kammer — January 15, 2010 @ 3:17 pm - January 15, 2010