It’s not just political news that makes me happy today

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 10:07 pm - January 5, 2010.
Filed under: Movies/Film & TV

Coupled with the good news from the political world comes this from Tinseltown, Sandra Bullock, one of my favorite contemporary stars of the silver screen,

accomplished a box office feat that her fellow A-listers Julia RobertsMeryl Streep,Angelina Jolie and Reese Witherspoon have never succeeded at – she’s cracked the $200 million mark at the domestic box office.

And if you haven’t seen the Blind Side, the aforementioned $200 million movie, yet, don’t ask any questions, just see it.

1. I don’t usually go for this kind of movie, it has all the signs of a movie that SHOULD bite — it examines feelings and has NO explosions, spies, space-ships, lasers, battles OR wizards — BUT the trailer does look really good, it’s gotten universally good reviews, and besides, I’m so sick of the constant anti-Christian propaganda endlessly spewed by “progressive” bigots that I’m very happy to support a pro-Christian movie. Already on my Netflix queue if I dont see it sooner at the theater.

Comment by American Elephant — January 5, 2010 @ 11:13 pm - January 5, 2010

2. #1: Definitely see it, AE–it’s great. As for the movie examining “feelings,” I thought one of its many strengths is that it wisely resists devolving into the usual cheap Hollywood sentimentality.

Comment by Sean A — January 5, 2010 @ 11:34 pm - January 5, 2010

3. Just to make a point, she plays a born-again Christian, and makes faith believable and compassionate. I hope this shows that Christians can be played successfully. There are fewer genuine portrayals of Christians than there are of gays–this could be the Christian Brokeback Mountain.

Comment by Ashpenaz — January 5, 2010 @ 11:42 pm - January 5, 2010

4. She had three movies out in 2009 and four in development. She’s keeping rather busy.

BTW,”Countrywide” Dodd is out as well as “Helmet Head” Byron Dorgan.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 6, 2010 @ 1:23 am - January 6, 2010

5. Excellent film. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Comment by Alex in Denver — January 6, 2010 @ 1:57 am - January 6, 2010

6. The only reference in the movie to anything Christian was the fact that she wore a cross necklace and the kids went to a Christian School. Maybe it’s better that way. Every time Hollywood touches on religion they do it wrong.

I usually don’t go for football movies, especially this time of year when the sound of football on the TV (yeah, hubby loves it) makes my teeth ache.

Kathy Bates has a good part too, at one point she was channeling the character from Misery – very good.

Comment by Leah — January 6, 2010 @ 11:41 am - January 6, 2010

7. I think her compassion for the poor might be a reference to Christianity. She did what she did out of her love for Jesus, not because she thought it was the more highly evolved thing to do.

Comment by Ashpenaz — January 6, 2010 @ 11:52 am - January 6, 2010