BREAKING NEWS AT CPAC: Anti-gay speaker booed from stage

Folks, I’m relegated to writing this from my iPhone. But it is big news and a huge topic tonight at CPAC.

Earlier today, during a student activist session on the CPAC main stage, one brave young man thanked the group for including GOProud as a sponsor this year.

A few minutes later, another student launched into an anti-gay tirade from the same podium. The CPAC attendees turned on him and booed him off-stage.

HotAir.com has the video on their front page. GP readers, if you could put some links in the comments — that would be great.

Today was a turning point for gays in the conservative movement. I’m so glad I am here to see it in person.

UPDATE (from Dan):  A friend linked me this post from Students For Liberty (maybe we should set up group, “Gays For Liberty”) on this matter.  Seems some left-wing bloggers are taking notice.  This is a big deal and shows that most mainstream conservatives don’t have much stomach for such nasty rhetoric.

1. http://www.breitbart.tv/bring-it-i-love-it-speaker-booed-for-condemning-cpac-for-inviting-gay-organization/

Comment by Nathan — February 19, 2010 @ 7:06 pm - February 19, 2010

2. here is one link: http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201002190044

this is pretty awesome!!

as for “the lesbians at Smith College protest better than you do”, that was priceless HAHAHA here is the protest he is referring to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK4dbHNbgBo&feature=related

good luck to those who are attending!

Comment by daftpunkydavid — February 19, 2010 @ 7:08 pm - February 19, 2010

3. The time is right to help our fellow co-gays/lesbians to discover the Conservative movement and to abandon the Democrats who do nothing for us.

Comment by sandy — February 19, 2010 @ 7:15 pm - February 19, 2010

4. @ sandy: this can only be good, and i agree with you.

i read some of the comments at breitbart.tv, and it’s clear that this is forcing the conservatives/republicans to have an internal discussion about gays and gay rights. and we all know that the conservative case for equality is bound to win such a discussion.
    this is great news indeed.

Comment by daftpunkydavid — February 19, 2010 @ 7:20 pm - February 19, 2010

5. That was beautiful to watch. I put up the video on my blog: http://randyhaddock.com/post/399463545/anti-gay-bigot-is-forcefully-booed-at-cpac-via

Comment by Randy Haddock — February 19, 2010 @ 7:55 pm - February 19, 2010

6. from joe my god students at the all-female Smith College invaded the auditorium where anti-gay author Ryan Sorba was giving a speech in support of his new book, The Born Gay Hoax. Chanting and banging pots, the students forced Sorba to abandon his lecture

RYAN SORBA

Comment by rusty — February 19, 2010 @ 7:55 pm - February 19, 2010

7. Why is it always the cute ones? :(

Comment by Ashpenaz — February 19, 2010 @ 7:58 pm - February 19, 2010

8. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, finally!!!! I’m so happy for all!!! Geez I can’t stop crying….. WE DON’T H8te!!!!! Oh sure there’s going to be ignorant souls that are just afraid, but we are all trying to get through the day and make things better. I’m so happy!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!

Comment by jann — February 19, 2010 @ 8:05 pm - February 19, 2010

9. The comments posted by George Soros’ flock of flying monkeys over at Media Matters are hilarious (though not surprising). Most of the comments illustrate that they’ve been so totally brainwashed by leftist propaganda that they lack the intellectual capacity to understand the point of the video. They interpret the video solely as evidence of Republican bigotry. The fact that the speaker was booed off the stage at CPAC simply doesn’t effect the analysis in any way. It’s totally inconsequential. The comment quoted below, posted by “doggeddem”, is one of my favorites:

“Republican party is clearly the party of bigotry, racism and irrational hatred. Furthermore, one has to wonder why gays and lesbians would ever think that the repubschmuckian party is a party that would difnify their own rights as human beings.”

Unbelievable. If Soros is secretly plotting the creation of a leftist clone army, I’d say he’s found his Jango Fett.

Comment by Sean A — February 19, 2010 @ 8:22 pm - February 19, 2010

10. Bruce and GOProud: Thank you for being there on the front lines to make this happen.

Sorba has a right to his opinion – and to say it with a face contorted with hate (as he did) so that everyone with eyes can see what he is.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — February 19, 2010 @ 8:34 pm - February 19, 2010

11. (continued) HotAir has a link to CNN coverage:

The dude from National Organization for Marriage, at about 2:19, seems like a much nicer person than Sorba. Still, he manages to say something inane:

“Gays and lesbians… don’t have the right to redefine marriage for the rest of us.”

His point is either trivially obvious, or false. Of course gays, as a minority of the population, have no right to re-define marriage. Because it takes a majority to legislate! Or it ought to (i.e., we should not have judicial tyranny). If that was his point, then he has my 100% agreement and in fact, I must say his point is trivially obvious. So was his point something more? Gays, like all people, have a right to ask the majority to re-define marriage, as much and as many times as gays want to ask. That is called, petitioning for redress of grievances (real or imagined). It is called, democratic participation. If his point was rather that gays have no right to *that*, i.e. to *ask* for marriage to be re-defined, then his point is false.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — February 19, 2010 @ 8:46 pm - February 19, 2010

12. Betcha money that guy is fighting his own homosexual tendencies.

Comment by American Elephant — February 19, 2010 @ 9:03 pm - February 19, 2010

13. So I guess this means that the conservative movement is going to join the Left in promoting the notion that anyone who doesn’t support gay marriage or “gay rights” is a diabolical hater or, at best, dangerously ignorant and needs reeducation. Camps, anyone?

Comment by Seane-Anna — February 19, 2010 @ 9:05 pm - February 19, 2010

14. “Gays, like all people, have the right to ask the majority to redefine marriage…” Like ALL people? Really? Does that include fundamentalist Mormons who want marriage redefined to include polygamy?

Comment by Seane-Anna — February 19, 2010 @ 9:09 pm - February 19, 2010

15. Re: 9. Not just over at media matters, the comments on most left blogs regarding this event seem to think that Sorba represents the “future of the Republican party” and not the CPAC audience members who overwhelmingly rejected his statement.

Can’t let anything get in the way of the conservatives=bigots narrative…

Comment by Alex in Denver — February 19, 2010 @ 9:25 pm - February 19, 2010

16. Re 14: Yes. Heretical Mormons (and Muslims) have the right to ASK for marriage to be re-defined to include polygamy. The key word is “ask”; they don’t have the right to have the Courts impose their will. But the First Amendment gives all the right to petition the government for redress of grievances.

Comment by Rhodium Heart — February 19, 2010 @ 9:34 pm - February 19, 2010

17. #13: Bullsh*t, Seane-Anna. He wasn’t booed off the stage because he expressed opposition to same-sex marriage or any other issue under the “gay rights” umbrella. He was booed because he condemned GOProud BEING INVITED to the conference at all.

Your simplistic, pedestrian conclusion is an insult to the intelligence of conservatives and their ability to allow conservative gays to participate in the fight for individual rights and freedom from government oppression without compromising any of their principles.

Comment by Sean A — February 19, 2010 @ 9:37 pm - February 19, 2010

18. Re: Ryan Sorba. I’d tap that ass.
    [Intentional dual meaning on that last word]

Comment by Rhodium Heart — February 19, 2010 @ 9:38 pm - February 19, 2010

19. Sorba is entitled to his opinion but if his views reflect those of YAF then I am offended.

YAF claims the mantle of Ronald Reagan and (I think) owns Reagan’s ranch. From all I’ve read, Sorba’s views do not reflect RR’s in any way.

Comment by SoCalRobert — February 19, 2010 @ 9:41 pm - February 19, 2010

20. So I guess this means that the conservative movement is going to join the Left in promoting the notion that anyone who doesn’t support gay marriage or “gay rights” is a diabolical hater or, at best, dangerously ignorant and needs reeducation. Camps, anyone?

Nope.

I think by now you know, Seane-Anna, that there are gays out there — myself included — who are cognizant of the difference between males and females, aware of the different societal impacts of heterosexual versus homosexual couplings, and have no problem with society electing to treat them differently.

I think you also should know by now that there are even more gays out there that look askance at the very idea of things like “hate-crimes laws” and “nondiscrimination ordinances” as being contrary to the rights of free association and to conduct your business as you see fit.

The problem here is that, if you stand at the podium of an event and condemn that very event for inviting a group of people you don’t like, that oversteps the bounds of disagreement, debate, and so forth. This is a bit like a person who I invited to a party insulting me and my family to my face. You should expect to be asked to leave, and you should not be surprised when it’s done rather emphatically.

I have not, nor will I ask you, to support “gay rights” or “gay marriage”, nor will I ever call you a hater for disagreeing with me on that topic. I will even defend to the death your right to say that gays are all sinners and going to hell, even if that bothers me personally. I do not even like the fact that this guy was shouted off the stage instead of being allowed to stand there and make a fool of himself. But what he did crossed the line of civilized behavior and politeness, and it is indefensible.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — February 19, 2010 @ 10:12 pm - February 19, 2010

21. RH #16, thank you; how I would have answered.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — February 19, 2010 @ 10:14 pm - February 19, 2010

22. “Gays, like all people, have the right to ask the majority to redefine marriage…” Like ALL people? Really? Does that include fundamentalist Mormons who want marriage redefined to include polygamy?

Yup. And, like with gay marriage, if the plebiscite so chooses, it may answer with a resounding, “No”.

Rhodium put it brilliantly; everyone has the right to ask. They do NOT have the guarantee of receipt.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — February 19, 2010 @ 10:18 pm - February 19, 2010

23. The problem here is that, if you stand at the podium of an event and condemn that very event for inviting a group of people you don’t like, that oversteps the bounds of disagreement, debate, and so forth. This is a bit like a person who I invited to a party insulting me and my family to my face. You should expect to be asked to leave…

Well said NDT, and I can think of other contexts where it applies.

I do not even like the fact that this guy was shouted off the stage

That troubled me also; if only because it allows him to play victim afterward. But I think that those in the CPAC audience who booed him were trying to make a point to gay conservatives. A positive and friendly point. One worth making, and (for you gay conservatives) one worth receiving.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — February 19, 2010 @ 10:25 pm - February 19, 2010

24. [...] Sorba was booed form CPAC when he had to attack some [...]

Pingback by CPAC Stays W/Gays While NOM Dorks Tremble In Fear & Issue Press Releases | The Rude News — February 19, 2010 @ 10:30 pm - February 19, 2010

25. I was so proud of that jackass getting boo’d off stage. I am glad that the true voice of conservative is being heard!

Comment by Angelia ( Knottie) — February 19, 2010 @ 11:32 pm - February 19, 2010

26. Here’s some more on this. A member of Students for Liberty, which according to this Think Progress link, is an offshoot of Ron Paul’s group, was booed when he thanked CPAC for having GOPRoud there and said the typical student response is to be “socially tolerant and fiscally responsible.” This guy spoke shortly before Sorba did. It did seem one loud guy did most of the booing, and there were more cheers than during Sorba’s speech. Does this combined with the response to Sorba’s comments strengthen the argument that what happened today is significant? Even Aravosis is making a big deal of this.

Comment by David — February 19, 2010 @ 11:53 pm - February 19, 2010

27. The YAF has always been a loony-fringe college group…even back when Reagan was President. Even at my fairly-conservative alma mater in the Carter-years they couldn’t get much traction on campus. The Young Republican Club on-campus ejected them in the run-up to the 1980 PA primary for their divisive mischief.

How they got control of the Regan Ranch is a mystery….

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — February 20, 2010 @ 12:26 am - February 20, 2010

28. I’m just curious: who are the conservatives who are boycotting this year’s CPAC because it’s being co-sponsored by GOProud?

Comment by Jim Michaud — February 20, 2010 @ 1:32 am - February 20, 2010

29. Seane-Anna,
    Even your hysteria is backwards. The people we LEAST need to fear sending us to “reeducation camps” are people like those at CPAC who let both sides be heard and let people make up their own minds. If anyone, it’s the control freaks on the left, and unfortunately the fringe right like this lunatic who want to prevent others from even speaking that we need to fear in that regard.

Like NDT, I defend your right to believe whatever you will about me, and about gays, and say it where ever anybody will listen (even if people like you make it much harder to argue that the vast majority of people on the religious right aren’t just as totalitarian as the left) — but you lose ALL my support when you try to prevent people from even speaking to begin with.

(P.S. Did you even listen to what he had to say? That we should oppose gay marriage because human rights are based on natural rights and reproduction is natural therefore human nature is rational and good? An extremely UN-Christian position, since Christianity teaches us that human nature is sinful, and what rights we have come from grace alone. Interesting the evil you embrace while purporting to point out evil in others! Specks and planks and all that. )

Comment by American Elephant — February 20, 2010 @ 1:56 am - February 20, 2010

30. @Jim Michaud

From what I’ve read Liberty Law School was the only one that ended up boycotting CPAC because of GOProud.

Comment by Nathan — February 20, 2010 @ 3:27 am - February 20, 2010

31. The biggest homophobes are people like Ryan Sorba!

Comment by Dave_62 — February 20, 2010 @ 5:36 am - February 20, 2010

32. . . . and chances are Sorba is gay himself!!!

Comment by Dave_62 — February 20, 2010 @ 5:36 am - February 20, 2010

33. I watched the video clip over at Hot Air and read the comments. The confrontationist who was booed down has performed an immense service and I hope he returns fully stoked and belligerent.

One commenter on Hot Air said that he would just stop voting.

I regret that there are people so shallow that their “main issue” controls their common sense. The speaker’s well practiced diatribe about the “reproductive drive” is hardly a core principle of conservatism. It has not a thing to do with limited government. It has nothing to do with fiscal order. It has nothing to do national security. It has nothing to do with free market capitalism. It has nothing to do individual freedom. It has nothing to do with societal cohesion. It has nothing to do with securing the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity.

He was booed down for two very important reasons: 1) His view of homosexuality is dead wrong. 2) He is wasting valuable time over his personal trifles when there is work of the highest importance to be done.

I hope he returns because useful idiots help shine the light of reason. They stand out in stark contrast to the world around them. The louder they get, the dumber they become. And if they trail away leading a pack of misfits behind them, who cares?

People will always find a cause to look down on a “lower” form of humanity of their choosing. I personally, choose to not like amoral, serial thugs who rob and pillage. I am not too keen on having them have a voice in setting the GOP agenda.

If a GayGOP group came along trying to out-stupid Code Pink by making a mockery of themselves and the GOP, I would do battle with them.

It all boils down to a sense of proportion. The speaker blew a gasket over his own personal hang-ups and he looked the fool for doing so. I am delighted the topic was broached and squelched. I look to see him carrying his “The End Is Near” sign outside of the meeting.

Comment by heliotrope — February 20, 2010 @ 8:06 am - February 20, 2010

34. Very interesting. I was highly skeptical and critical of GOProud’s participation at CPAC and am not yet convinced I was wrong (even though I’d love to be), but I am amazed to see this at CPAC. I’ll file this under “encouraging” and see what develops. If this helps to bring the GOP to a more libertarian stance on these matters, I’ll be happy to shout from the rooftops that I was wrong and will gladly buy Bruce & Dan an adult beverage of their choice whilst toasting their foresight. For now though, we shall see. Btw, kudos to Catherine Sumner. I read her comments quoted at Hot Air.

26: I listened to both and the boos for McCobin were very few and insignificant compared to what Sorbin faced. That was striking to me and quite surprising.

Comment by John — February 20, 2010 @ 8:35 am - February 20, 2010

35. “When the cameras were rolling,” said LaSalvia, “they were very nice. Now that the cameras aren’t rolling, rather than walking 20 feet over to us, they fire off a news release. What kind of man can’t walk across the row to deliver a message? I just have a question for them: Who’s the pansy at CPAC? What wusses. Just come over. Don’t play nice if you’re not going to be nice.”

Nicely done, Jimmy! Hmm…I’m liking this more and more…

Comment by John — February 20, 2010 @ 9:22 am - February 20, 2010

36. GP Ed. Note: It is encouraging and too early for me to say “I told you so”… LOL But I’ll always accept an adult beverage.

Just be nice to my sister if you run into her today. I told her to stop by GOProud’s table if she sees you guys there. She’s more libertarian and is new to politics, so hasn’t developed the deep cynicism I have. ;) More folks like her in the GOP would help IMO. Have fun!

Comment by John — February 20, 2010 @ 10:09 am - February 20, 2010

37. I read that the guy thanking CPAC for including GOProud as a sponsor was booed loudly during his speech. Why didn’t you mention that? I also read that the next speaker (anti-gay) did get some boos, but you shouldn’t omit the fact that the GOProud guy did, too. And what about the guy walking around handing out anti-gay pamphlets railing against the repeal of DADT? You’re dreaming if you think the majority of Republicans are going to be tolerant of gays.

Comment by JBax52 — February 20, 2010 @ 10:12 am - February 20, 2010

38. Again – quoting from John’s Independent link this time – the NOM dude manages to say something inane:

“[GOProud] claim they’re not funded by Tim Gill.. [and that LCR's Gill funding is] why they broke away from the Log Cabin Republicans. But that doesn’t make any sense if they’re making a statement now that they’re pro-gay marriage.”

2) I know GOProud has nothing to do with Tim Gill. (I have only a light surface connection with GOProud, thus zero inside knowledge. I “just know”. Based on having seen Bruce’s posts over the years against Gill and LCR.)

NOM would appear to be into gutter tactics: misrepresenting their opponents. If I opposed gay marriage, I wouldn’t count on NOM to be effective in making my arguments.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — February 20, 2010 @ 11:10 am - February 20, 2010

39. AE, I didn’t say I agreed with that guy at CPAC. What I wondered outloud is that this could mean that the conservative movement is becoming like the Left on the gay thing, and abandoning traditional values which I thought conservatism was support. That was my point. Sorry if you and everyone else here didn’t get that.

Comment by Seane-Anna — February 20, 2010 @ 11:40 am - February 20, 2010

40. 1) Has GOProud advocated gay marriage, at CPAC or elsewhere? (I don’t think they’ve ever mentioned it. Correct me if I’m wrong.)

ILC, I haven’t seen so either, although I believe GOProud is supportive of domestic partnerships.

Even if GOProud does support same sex marriage. I wonder why it wouldn’t “make any sense” that GOProud split away from Log Cabin and/or is not associated with Tim Gill.

Seane-Anna, perhaps conservatives and liberals should be on the same page regarding basic gay rights. Even so, we see even on this blog alone, that gay persons on the left and right still disagree on many gay rights issues. Heck, we see even that gay conservatives disagree as well.

Further, I think any group or person has to re-examine their positions. We have down this many times throughout history, and perhaps thoughts on gay rights should be an example in which conservatives do change their minds. Heck, it’s clear that most conservatives have already rethought their attitudes towards gay persons and gay rights.

Comment by Pat — February 20, 2010 @ 12:03 pm - February 20, 2010

41. And JBax, I head that guy was booed by one person as opposed to being booed from the stage by a whole crowd of participants as was the anti-gay fella. So, please get your information from people who were there, not people who want to cast conservatives in a negative light.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — February 20, 2010 @ 12:10 pm - February 20, 2010

42. This is a step forward, not necessarily a giant step, but a step. The real proof will come if they will endorse, support, and work for the election of openly gay conservative candidates for office. I wonder if the California Republican Assembly will do it.

Comment by Roberto — February 20, 2010 @ 12:11 pm - February 20, 2010

43. I read that the guy thanking CPAC for including GOProud as a sponsor was booed loudly during his speech.

What a tool. How about checking out the video instead of “reading” what the liberals tell you?

Comment by ThatGayConservatives — February 20, 2010 @ 12:38 pm - February 20, 2010

44. While he is entitled to his opinion, the way he responded to the criticism smacks of immaturity.

For a moment I thought I was watching Maury Povich and MTV.

Comment by LCRW — February 20, 2010 @ 2:52 pm - February 20, 2010

45. #19 and #27

I think you got your YAFs mixed up. There are two conservative groups that have the YAF acronym.

Young America’s Foundation (at yaf.org), is the one with the Reagan Ranch.

Young Americans for Freedom (at yaf.com), more of an activist organization than the other YAF, is the rabidly antigay one in which Ryan Sorba is a part of. Also they’re the ones who invited Holocaust denier Nick Griffin, the British National Party leader at Michigan State University. Some of you probably remembered the debacle when some stupid gay kid came out among their ranks in 2007. They’re a reactionary lot that could be described as ‘neofascist-lite,’ so it’s no wonder that the Ron Paul supporters started to boo him off stage before he even talked.

Comment by Rob — February 20, 2010 @ 4:34 pm - February 20, 2010

46. Heck, we see even that gay conservatives disagree as well.

That’s only because Bruce & Dan a la the Fonz from “Happy Days” just can’t seem to admit when they’re wrong. I’m wearing them down though… ;)

Comment by John — February 20, 2010 @ 7:46 pm - February 20, 2010

47. [...] I got back from a long night shift to see some of the best news I could have heard all week. Via GayPatriot and HotAir, Ryan Sorba – a member of California Young America’s Foundation – took [...]

Pingback by A Turning Point for Conservatives « Welcome to GayConservative.org — February 21, 2010 @ 5:51 pm - February 21, 2010

48. http://donklephant.com/2010/02/22/cpac-and-unnecessary-turmoil/

I hadn’t seen it and that Sorba guy is an even bigger arse than I thought. And the thoughts he is a bit repressed seem accurate as well.

Comment by Andrew Ian Dodge — February 22, 2010 @ 12:12 pm - February 22, 2010

49. You are all insane. If you were at CPAC, you should have expected to hear anti-gay statements. The entire CPAC & Teabagger (do they even know that the name has another filthy connotation?) movement are a bunch of losers that HATE anyone not like them. Hate breeds hate. Hang out with a bunch of people that live their lives telling other folk that they are less than human and what do you think you’re going to hear? Pleas for equality for gays? Really now. Wake up all you “conservative gays.” And that’s an oxymoron if ever there was one.

When someone is an asshole, what do you expect from them but shit?

Comment by Jay — February 22, 2010 @ 1:57 pm - February 22, 2010

50. [...] it or not, this was a defining moment which wasn’t lost on the conservative gay blog, Gay Patriot… Folks, I’m relegated to writing this from my iPhone. But it is big news and a huge topic tonight [...]

Pingback by American Glob » Blog Archive » Libertarians and Conservatives in the Republican Party: An Unstoppable Alliance — February 22, 2010 @ 2:40 pm - February 22, 2010