Live From CPAC10 Saturday

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 9:02 am - February 20, 2010.
Filed under: Post 9-11 America

LIVE VIDEO FEED FROM CPAC

Good morning America… from your Nation’s capital.  The CPAC10 Conference is already underway and I’ll do my best to hit the highlights.

PJTV rockstar and comedian Steven Crowder got the crowd going already with a quick set of barbs against the Powers That Be, and Olbermann.

UPDATE: Looks like we have some work to do with Rick Santorum on the issue of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.  However, I know Santorum personally and have worked with him for many years (in my other job) and I know he is a good man.  He is not homophobic but he does have concerns about using the military being used for social experiments and subject to political correctness.  I think he’s wrong.  But that DOES NOT make him homophobic.

But Santorum did just say that the idea of an IRS audit each year for every member of Congress was a good idea.  You have to balance the good with the bad!  :)

NOTE: I would like to mention that the applause on Santorum’s DADT response was tepid at best.  Honestly.  DADT splits free-thinking people on the left and the right and in the military.  There will be a blogger meet & greet with Santorum in about an hour.  I’m hoping to talk with him personally.

UPDATE: Conservative babe and ACORN doorbuster Hannah Giles is now introducing Andrew Breitbart. Breitbart kicked butt.  He’s a great and motivating speaker.  Catch him if you can!

9:44AM: Okay, I’m back. You really all should follow me on Twitter, you know!  One of my conservative heroes — Jonah Goldberg — is now on the mainstage.  I once interviewed Jonah on the barely-used GayPatriot BlogTalkRadio program.  He’s discussing how fascism was born on the left political spectrum and how totalitarianism is still admired by American liberals.  Hey, someone should write a book about this!

1. I like Rick Santorum too (although I can’t say I’ve met him, unfortunately).

From my perspective as a straight, center-right Christian, I think it’s very healthy, as you do, to differentiate between the inflexible and sometimes bigoted anti-gay hard right (which is motivated either by fear or hatred or both), and the more moderate and thoughtful opponents of most of the GLBT community would like to see. I disagree with RS and John McCain and others on DADT, but there are legitimate causes for concern that worry not just these particular opponents of DADT’s repeal but also supporters of DADT’s repeal like myself. On not just DADT but also a lot of other issues, I think a much healthier dialogue can be had between, say, GOProud and Rick Santorum than between, say, Perez Hilton and James Dobson. The hard left may believe they are really the driver of gay rights, and the hard religious right may believe they are really the defender of tradition, but ultimately I think it has to be and will be well-meaning center-right skeptics of gay rights and the conservative GLBT community working together that will help America move forward in a way that satisfies the concerns of both gay Americans and traditionalists.

Comment by chad — February 20, 2010 @ 9:56 am - February 20, 2010

2. Live Video Feed is excellent. Thank you.

Comment by Jeremayakovka — February 20, 2010 @ 10:01 am - February 20, 2010

3. GP, if Rick Santorum is such a good man why do you think you “have some work to do” on him on DADT? Why not just respect his opinion and leave him alone? This undercuts the attempt to portray “conservative” gays as being different from the gay Left on gay issues. You are no different. You want the exact same thing as the gay Left does and have the same determination to eliminate all opposition. If there’s any difference at all is only in degree, not kind. The gay Left wants to take us away from traditional values on a jet plane; you’ll settle for getting there in a car, but the destination, and the contempt for traditionalists, is the same. That’s what worries me about “conservative” gays.

Comment by Seane-Anna — February 20, 2010 @ 11:51 am - February 20, 2010

4. Again, to work with Santorum, we have to understand that he 1. Is pro-life, 2. Does not believe in evolution and 3. Has a personal relationship with the living Jesus. Because so many gays on the right and left (and on this board) have been dismissive of these 3 things, bridges between us and people like Santorum have been impossible.

Comment by Ashpenaz — February 20, 2010 @ 12:46 pm - February 20, 2010

5. P. S. Hannah’s father, Doug Giles, is the sexiest homophobic Christian ever! If you meet him, say Hi for me!!!!! Let me be the one to change his mind!!!

Comment by Ashpenaz — February 20, 2010 @ 12:48 pm - February 20, 2010

6. “He is not homophobic but he does have concerns about using the military being used for social experiments and subject to political correctness. I think he’s wrong. But that DOES NOT make him homophobic.”

I thought the gays making excuses for Obama’s total lack of action was pathetic.

But seeing a gay person actively defend bigots who consider them inferior scum not worthy of the same rights is a new low. Keep licking those boots guys. You’re just gonna guarantee our equality by defending the bigots.

Comment by LBGT with a backbone — February 20, 2010 @ 2:16 pm - February 20, 2010

7. Crowder is pretty…

That’s all I got.

Comment by DoDoGuRu — February 20, 2010 @ 3:00 pm - February 20, 2010

8. Have you noticed that conservative men tend to be sexier than liberal men? Even the homophobic ones?

Comment by Ashpenaz — February 20, 2010 @ 3:54 pm - February 20, 2010

9. Seane-Anna, the entertaining thing to watch here is how both you and the gay left on the other side are both yelling the same thing about GayPatriot and GOProud.

Basically put, their presence is challenging the stereotypes and prejudices on both sides of the equation — and both sides are having a nearly-identical meltdown over it.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — February 20, 2010 @ 4:10 pm - February 20, 2010

10. #4 – I agree

#9 – Thanks, NDT. I think it is now fair for me to say “You owe me a beer” to AverageGayJoe ;-)

Comment by GayPatriot — February 20, 2010 @ 6:34 pm - February 20, 2010

11. Ash, you arent saying Santorum is sexy are you? Hes a good guy and all, but sexy he is not. Steven Crowder is a hottie though.

Comment by American Elephant — February 21, 2010 @ 1:00 am - February 21, 2010

12. 10: Not so fast, Bruce. I too question Santorum’s “indoctrinated” remark. That strikes me as poor form at the very least. I doubt he’d be making such a charge if they had come out with the opposite view. Simply put, I don’t trust Santorum and he hasn’t given me enough reasons to support him.

Comment by John — February 21, 2010 @ 1:12 pm - February 21, 2010

13. You want the exact same thing as the gay Left does and have the same determination to eliminate all opposition. If there’s any difference at all is only in degree, not kind. The gay Left wants to take us away from traditional values on a jet plane; you’ll settle for getting there in a car, but the destination, and the contempt for traditionalists, is the same.

Wow, Seane-Anna. That’s harsh. I’d say ridiculously harsh.

All Bruce, as one of those gay conservatives, wants is for the U.S. government to stop stigmatizing homosexuals by labeling them as unfit for honest service in the armed forces. What that has to do with upholding or overthrowing cultural traditions — other than the stigmatizing of homosexuals — is beyond me.

Comment by Classical Liberal Dave — February 22, 2010 @ 12:52 am - February 22, 2010

14. Ashpenaz @ 4:

I’m sorry to read that Bruce agrees with this, because it is probably the dumbest thing I’ve read on GayPatriot that wasn’t posted by a leftie.

Santorum is pro-life. So? Is being pro-life supposed to be terribly rare amongst gay conservatives?

Santorum does not believe in evolution. I hope this means he doubts that the modern synthesis, ecological selection acting on random mutations, is a thorough explanation of the phenomenon. If he doesn’t accept evolution as a real phenomenon at all then he’s too stupid to worry about.

In any event, I don’t see how Santorum views on natural history should have anything to do with how he gets along with homosexuals, conservative or otherwise.

Santorum has a personal relationship with the living Jesus. Now the kicker. This is what it’s all been about all along, eh, Ashpenaz? Santorum’s religion.

I don’t care about Santorum’s religious beliefs. Nor should he care about yours, Bruce’s or anybody else’s when it comes to his political decisions. Conservatism is supposed to be a political movement, not a religious revival.

Comment by Classical Liberal Dave — February 22, 2010 @ 1:04 am - February 22, 2010

15. Crowder is a hottie. ;-)

Comment by Hayekian — February 22, 2010 @ 5:40 am - February 22, 2010

16. What is your definition of “homophobic”?

Comment by Fg68at — March 5, 2010 @ 9:54 pm - March 5, 2010