Reconsidering Ann Coulter

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 3:18 am - April 5, 2010.
Filed under: Humor,Strong Women

Unlike Bruce, I have only recently become a fan of Ann Coulter.

I knew her when we were both in law school, she at Michigan, I at U-VA and while impressed with her intellect, I was irritated by her schtick, playing the leggy blond right-winger who said outrageous things. She used her looks as did Helen, daughter of Tyndarus (later of Troy), Cleopatra and Evita, to advance her career, especially as they (those looks) contrasted with the pock-marked, pot-bellied stereotypical outspoken conservative who also said outlandish things.

In an ideal world, her commentary would be beyond the pale.  She says some things which are deliberately provocative, but her commentary is no less provocative than that which passes for serious liberal thought on the editorial pages of our nation’s major dailies and on cable TV.

We are, however, not living in an ideal world.  We live in a world, at evidenced by the attacks on the Tea Party when some in the media report as news inaccurate stories about racist conservative activists, activists who exist only in the heads of Democratic Congressmen and their various and sundry echo chambers.

I had an insight about Ann about the time last year I heard her speak at David Horowitz’s birthday celebration.  (I went not so much to hear her speak, but to honor David, a man I have long respected.)  I realized that in the world as it is — and not as we’d like it to be — she is an ideal conservative spokesman (no spokesperchild she).

What Ann does is just throw the left’s broadsides on conservatives back at them, returning with a playful smile what lefties send out with a self-righteous scowl.  She mocks in good fun and to make a point.

I thought of Ann today when Byron York was looking into the left hyperventilating over Rush Limbaugh responding to the president’s attack on him, calling his Administration a regime:  “By using the word ‘regime,’ Limbaugh was doing something he does all the time: throwing the language of the opposition back in their faces.

In short, Coulter’s “schtick” is a lot like Limbaugh’s.

Ann, I apologize for not getting you before.  I was holding our side to a higher standard.  Sometimes in the current media atmosphere, you have to respond in kind to get heard.  And to make a point.

1. I don’t think they realize they say the things they do. Just like Chris Mathews compared Bush’s administration to a regime. Like the conversation about banning Muslims on planes, the question was how would they travel?(which is ridiculous and she said by camel, it was a joke(kind of). If the truth be told that would solve our problems. You should read her books, they explain her a lot. Just like the media portraying Rush as a racist monster, he just repeats what the left is saying and doing. They are hearing themselves. If you listen to Rush for a period of time Rush is the most loving, caring American you would meet, same with Ann. Listening to Obama accuse Rush and Beck to be “troublesome” he is describing himself. I blame the media for this mess we are in the most, I think they are pure evil.

Comment by jann — April 5, 2010 @ 4:12 am - April 5, 2010

2. In an ideal world, the libs would have learned a lesson when Rush made an ass out of Reid. However, they keep plugging on making up stuff he and Ann have said and manufacturing kerfuffles.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 5, 2010 @ 6:00 am - April 5, 2010

3. So it’s official, it’s safe to like Coulter! 😉

I’ve also changed my view. In the past, I’ve said stuff like this:

[2007] Coulter I find sometimes amusing, even insightful. And sometimes so transparently a media whore, it’s pathetic.
    [2008] I think she’s a bomb-throwing attention whore, but man, there are times when her logic is not that easy to dismiss.

That last was when Coulter endorsed Hillary in Feb. 2008, over McCain. She was wrong, but she had a point about McCain being almost as bad as Hillary on some issues. Also, her favorite was Romney and she was wrong about that too (think Romneycare == Obamacare, i.e. a neo-fascist mess complete with mandates), but again she had certain points.

That’s what you get with Coulter. Sometimes she’s just silly. But she’s always trying to make a point, and usually it’s a point worth making (even if I don’t agree). And it’s always fun to watch her make lefties’ heads explode, and today we need that more than ever. Kudos on her recent Canada gig!

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 5, 2010 @ 9:21 am - April 5, 2010

4. Why is “giving as good as you get” such a despicable thing to those who invented the shifting rules of one sided political correctness?

The country club Republicans have always preferred the role of porch dog. No matter how many times you are kicked or shoved out of the way, you still lick the master’s hand and wiggle all over when he throws you a scrap or two.

The Democrats attack on a visceral level. Coulter, Limbaugh and Beck hand it back to them with wit on an intellectual level. In a smaller arena, that is what happens to Tano, gillie, ian, ohiohorsechestnutaficionado, Levi, et. al. when they lob their stink bombs here. Occasionally, one of them settles down to the makings of civil debate, but then they shift the topic, ignore the facts and start name calling. Ann and Rush let them get to that point and then laugh at them.

The Democrats are always field testing their spin and lies. If no one shoots them down, they get traction and soon enough they have control of “conventional wisdom.” The lazy and biased MSM does not do the work, so a few clever, effective, intelligent conservatives have changed the rules through talk radio, books, speeches and getting continually noticed.

What do you bet that Ann Coulter’s ratings are gigantic compared to any Democrat defense machine. In fact, if Overbite and crowd could not rail about her, their ratings would be even deeper in the tank. She is one they love to hate.

Comment by heliotrope — April 5, 2010 @ 9:28 am - April 5, 2010

5. She is one they love to hate.

I was telling someone the other day: it’s because she is a good-looking woman. Societies have a strange way of evolving, sooner or later, to where the babes are going. Now, I am not saying conservatives have dominance in that area. I’m saying that Coulter physically embodies the threat that they might, i.e., the lefties feel compelled to try to stamp her out. Same with Palin.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 5, 2010 @ 9:36 am - April 5, 2010

6. No apology necessary Dan. Your instincts with her these past few years have been spot on. People respond to sincerity — and Coulter isn’t sincere.

She’s erratic with her website. For example her article on Obama’s SOTU address was flawless and brilliant. Yet two weeks later she had an article up that was literally undecipherable. It had three topics combined into one, was obviously rushed with a flight of ideas and verbally incoherent.

She has a huge audience because Dem.’s use her work all the time to influence strategy against conservatives. We can go on and on about her being a woman, being visceral, being here and now, being brilliant and deliciously squashing the likes of Behar, Lauer and Elizabeth Edwards. As a conservative she’s very hard to resist. I certainly understand that.

Her nasty-spirited presentation at the incredibly classy, spirited and together 2010 CPAC was a low point. She dragged the conference down.

Stick with your instincts Dan. They’re good. Coulter is always a difficult call for a conservative, and you’ve been right on with her these past few years.

Comment by patrick — April 5, 2010 @ 10:36 am - April 5, 2010

7. As Ann pointed out in her book “Slander”, which is when I first really became aware of her around 2002-03, the Left always ridicules, mocks, denigrates, and slanders those who are perceived as their greatest threats. To wit: Beck, Rush, Palin, Bachman and the Tea Partyers are pariahs, while the Left hardly even acknowledge the existence of RINOs like Lindsey Graham and Olympia Snowe.

So to me, because Ann is so consistently and passionately hated by the Left, it’s a pretty good indication she is doing something “right” (pun unintended).

Comment by Scott — April 5, 2010 @ 10:38 am - April 5, 2010

8. re: “. . .you have to respond in kind to get heard. And to make a point.”

I watched an Ann Coulter interview several years ago in which she was asked why she couldn’t be “nicer” in making her points (the implication was that they would, then, carry more weight).

Her response was, “then who would listen?”

She has been absolutely transparent about what she is doing, and she along with Rush Limbaugh bait and snare liberals with regularity. They are the Slim Whitman to the Mars Attack liberals.

Comment by T — April 5, 2010 @ 10:51 am - April 5, 2010

9. Frankly, I think the right needs MORE pundits like Ann (and Rush). Polite discourse plays into the left’s hands (look what happened to Bush). No one should be concerned whether or not the left “gets” humorous but sharp barbs pointed at them. Let ’em wail and moan, that’s what they do best anyway.

Comment by DoorHold — April 5, 2010 @ 11:09 am - April 5, 2010

10. Dan,

I think if you take what she’s saying most of the time for the humor/satire, it’s not that offensive. The Isiah Washington “fag” incident for example. She was held to a high standard for even using the word, when in fact she was mocking people who thought you had to go to rehab for even thinking it.

I would highly recommend Slander and Treason by her. Slander is probably the best book on the media and it’s treatment of conservatives I’ve read apart maybe from Bernie Goldberg’s few he’s written. Treason is an excellent examination of liberals going back to McCarthy’s time and how very little has changed on the tactics of the left. Some of her more recent books I’ve been slightly disappointed with, since they seemed of a different substance, (ie the one where she just repackaged all her columns into a book and said she “wrote’ a book!)

Also on display is her amazing research abilities and how she backs up her arguments. She was the editor of a law school paper, and her research abilities would put any top tier, mainstream media reporter to shame.

Pick up one of her books, or I’d be glad to send you one. 😉

Comment by Tim — April 5, 2010 @ 11:30 am - April 5, 2010

11. I’ve always liked Coulter, despite the fact that I completely disagree with her on things like homosexuality. I’m not bothered by that, and I don’t feel the need to claim that what she’s saying is satire when I don’t like it. I simply take what I like, and disregard the rest. Like it or not, she’s right a lot of the time.

“The problem with Coulter is she can’t influence liberals while adopting the same strategy they can’t influence us with. Palin’s talks this year are getting through to swing voters. Coulter’s, I believe are not. And isn’t influence the bottom line in assessing any pundit’s usefulness?” Patrick.

Patrick, you cannot be serious. You’re complaining that Coulter won’t influence left wingers…who will never vote right/center right anyway. Their problem is right wing thinking, not the fact that one woman might be strident. It’s not like right wingers would suddenly go left if only those nasty liberals were nicer, for instance. Liberals are not people how would vote GOP if it wasn’t for Coulter. I honesly think you’re what Hillbuzz terms a “concern troll”.

Comment by Lisette — April 5, 2010 @ 11:52 am - April 5, 2010

12. Wouldn’t it be awesome if FoxNews put together a version of ‘The View’ where the panelists were Ann Coulter, Laura Ingraham, Michelle Malkin and Tammy Bruce?

They could call it ‘The Brains.’

Comment by V the K — April 5, 2010 @ 12:30 pm - April 5, 2010

13. I tried to come up with some sort of commentary on the above, but words alone don’t seem to be enough today.

Comment by Serenity — April 5, 2010 @ 12:43 pm - April 5, 2010

14. Tim, you’ll send me a free book. 🙂

I don’t have her book on how to talk to a liberal if you must.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — April 5, 2010 @ 1:23 pm - April 5, 2010

15. Ann Coulter has been spot on as far as health care and the welfare state over the last two years or so. While she manages to draw a lot of attention with the more outrageous statements, she’s a powerful, articulate, and often guiding voice in the conservative movement.

Comment by John S — April 5, 2010 @ 2:36 pm - April 5, 2010

16. Meh, Ann does well annotating her polemics, but I get tired of her schtick.

Comment by DoDoGuRu — April 5, 2010 @ 5:22 pm - April 5, 2010

17. I sometimes think that if the MSM were doing its job Coulter, Limbaugh et al. wouldn’t be able to do theirs. BTW I like the idea of “The Brains”. It wuold also be a lot easier on the eyes than the female versions of Dorian Gray on The View.

Comment by BigShooter — April 5, 2010 @ 7:06 pm - April 5, 2010

18. Ann Coulter… the ID that dare not speak!

I’m SOOOOOO glad she does!

Comment by Delusional Bill — April 5, 2010 @ 9:15 pm - April 5, 2010

19. you arent the only one,i know several people who are still warming up to ann and rush, and one that outright refuses to listen to either of them (still retaining some left wing tendencies after i converted him to a more tolerable, political middle of the road guy) its just hard listening to such raw talk when you arent used to it, or dont like it (i love it :D)

the only thing i really dont like about her is her looks, lately she seems like she has lost all the meat off her bones
    am i the only one that notices that? its like sometime in the last few years, her muscular structure just kind of…left her body.

Comment by Daniel — April 6, 2010 @ 1:06 am - April 6, 2010

20. I’ve always enjoyed Ann. She’s a gifted writer with a sharp wit. I’m not sure that it’s fair or healthy for the conservative movement to expect all of its various stars to be philosophically ethereal figures like Bill Buckley or George Will.

Comment by JervisTetch — April 6, 2010 @ 2:27 pm - April 6, 2010

21. I agree with heliotrope who wrote:

“The Democrats attack on a visceral level. Coulter, Limbaugh and Beck hand it back to them with wit on an intellectual level.”

Not everyone can do that and take the abuse that comes back at them. The right is lucky to have a few who can and do it in an entertaining and informative way.

Most conservatives are just too “conservative” to give back as “rude” as they get. But, it seems to me, we have to fight back with everyone and in every way we can. Politics is not a polite social event.

I know a man who recently “warmed” to her, it was just hard for him to accept such an abrasive woman (maybe a little chauvinism but mostly just old-fashioned).

Comment by BA — April 7, 2010 @ 12:58 am - April 7, 2010

22. Coulter is caustic and sarcastic. She is not afraid to stick ’em with a stiletto. I love that. One commenter said that many conservatives are just too conservative —so they stay away from the caustic etc. –afraid that they’ll appear too nasty. The days of singing Kumbaya are definitely over, and Coulter lets you know it. Actually, I have enjoyed her books.

Comment by brooklyn dave — April 7, 2010 @ 3:49 pm - April 7, 2010