Thanks To Bill Clinton & Janet Reno
Cuba Has A New Communist Footsoldier

Ah, so what if he once lived in freedom and was stripped away from his American family by President Clinton and shipped to the heart of a Communist dicatorship.  At least Elian and I will soon have the  same socialist-inspired healthcare that Michael Moore so loves.  Meet Comrade Gonzalez.  I’m betting President Obama would love to add him as an advisor some day.   After all, there are enough Marxists in the West Wing now to fill Castro’s palace in Havana.

Elian Gonzalez holds a Cuban flag during the UJC, Union of Young Communists, congress in Havana Sunday April 4, 2010. Gonzalez, the Cuban boy at the center of an international custody battle 10 years ago in April 2000, attended Cuba’s Young Communist Union wearing an olive green military school uniform.(AP Photo/Ismael Francisco, Prensa Latina)
For those of you who have forgotten (or never knew) how thuggish Bill Clinton’s Justice Department was….
… that’s Elian as a boy on the receiving end of an American gun in Miami.  Pleasant, eh?
In the late ’90s, a 5-year-old boy named Elian Gonzalez found himself at the center of an international tug-of-war. On Thanksgiving Day in 1999, Elian was found floating off the coast of Florida after the boat that was taking him from Cuba to the United States sank. His mother and 10 others drowned.

Relatives in Miami opened their arms to Elian. Marisleysis Gonzalez, his 21-year-old cousin, became Elian’s primary caregiver. “I guess he saw that mother figure in me,” she says. “He was always attached to me.”

For five months, Elian lived in Florida. Then, one day, his father came to claim him.

With the U.S. government’s help, Marisleysis says she and her family arranged for a psychologist to help determine where Elian should live…but that meeting never happened. One day, Marisleysis says federal agents stormed her house with their guns drawn and took Elian away. “It was terrifying. It was something I never expected,” she says. “[Elian] was begging for nobody to take him.”

Those pesky liberals.  Always speaking of freedom in the Third Person.
-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. I’m all for poking at the Clintons but this case was bad no matter what they did. I understand about letting the boy live in freedom with extended family but on the other hand I could not support keeping him from his father either. Nothing was easy about this one.

Comment by John — April 6, 2010 @ 9:14 am - April 6, 2010

2. Of course, I know better, but when I need a toxic dose of the seething, oily hatred and nihilism that only progressives can offer, I drop in at the HuffPost to rattle some cages and remind myself just how f-ed up and committed the Left is to destroying this country. The comments on the Elian Gonzales story have to be read to be believed.

One-third dilettante-ish propaganda about how great Cuba really is, one-third confident assertions that if Elian had remained in the US, he would have ended up in a barrio gang and killed by now anyway, and one-third lascivious sexual innuendoes from both men and women who admit that they could live with exporting Elian back to the US as long as they get first “crack” at him. And as you would expect, pretty much 99 percent conclude that Elian is enjoying a much fuller and happier life in Cuba than he could have ever had in the US (considering that he’s a minority and all).

I WISH I were kidding.

Comment by Sean A — April 6, 2010 @ 10:40 am - April 6, 2010

3. John, if you have an issue with him being taken from the father, bring it up to the mother who died in Florida waters.
    Many people have been torn from one parent or another is their hope to get to freedom.
    The humane thing would have been let the father join Elian in Florida, why wasn’t that ever an option?? Why traumatize the kid then brain wash him into a foot soldier for communism?

Comment by Leah — April 6, 2010 @ 11:01 am - April 6, 2010

4. For some reason, I started wondering a couple weeks ago “Whatever happened to that Elian kid?”

At the time I supported him being with his father, but… knowing what I know now, I have no more doubt that the Castro regime is morally evil, and so was sending Elian back to it.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 6, 2010 @ 11:44 am - April 6, 2010

5. Leah – great points. Giving Elian back to Cuba was a betrayal of what his mother wanted for him.

Unfortunately, -from what I remember vaguely-, the father staying to the U.S. was not an option because the father was either (1) bought-in to the Communist regime, or (2) being so closely tracked (i.e. threatened) by Cuban agents that he felt unsafe to say otherwise.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 6, 2010 @ 11:48 am - April 6, 2010

6. I seem to also remember that the father lviing here was not an option. First he did not want to since he did not try to escape with them.
    But the mother’s wishes should have been upheld and he should have been allowed to grow up in freedom

Comment by PatriotMom — April 6, 2010 @ 12:25 pm - April 6, 2010

7. Seeing that we knew Little Elian as a kid, and that may make the following statement a little uncomfortable, but…. Why are Cubans so hot? Why are they such consistently gorgeous people? Just asking.

Comment by Sonicfrog — April 6, 2010 @ 1:01 pm - April 6, 2010

8. Sonic – one possibility is that, living in Cuba, they don’t drive much and they certainly don’t eat too much.

ILC – I recall reading in an article recently that Elian and his father (“elected” to something) are still closely monitored.

Comment by SoCalRobert — April 6, 2010 @ 1:15 pm - April 6, 2010

9. BREAKING NEWS,
    Independent media Rush Limbaugh reports our young boobula
    President wearing a white sox cap at the Nationals game….
    couldn’t name ANY FORMER OR CURRENT WHITESOX PLAYER. AND AND he called their ball park COM IN SKY park.
    So he fakes being a fan and looks like a duffus. Nice.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — April 6, 2010 @ 1:25 pm - April 6, 2010

10. #3: “The humane thing would have been let the father join Elian in Florida, why wasn’t that ever an option??”

Because, Leah, they’re Cuban, not Mexican.

Maybe I’m just taking for granted that I’m a lucky guy, but given the choice between getting little Sean back and raising me in Castro’s Cuba OR leaving me in the US to be raised by family while risking the possibility of never seeing me again, MY DAD would face a firing squad before dragging me back to grow up in some communist hellhole. That’s why all that “reuniting him with his father at all costs” horse shit has never rung true for me.

The day after Janet Reno launched her siege on the Branch David–…er…Miami, I remember my Mother saying to me, “that boy Elian is going to disappear when he gets back to Cuba and we won’t have any way of knowing what happened to him.” Well, he’s a propaganda tool of Castro. That’s what happened.

P.S. By the way, when the FUUUUUUUUU*K is that mass-murdering, 6000-year-old gargoyle going to DIE!

Comment by Sean A — April 6, 2010 @ 2:07 pm - April 6, 2010

11. #7

I’m too young to remember the Elian episode very clearly… so yeah. +1 on teh hawtness.

Comment by DoDoGuRu — April 6, 2010 @ 2:16 pm - April 6, 2010

12. I’m too young to remember the Elian episode very clearly… so yeah.

Damn. I thought I was the youngest on here.

Anyways, I was always surprised Janet didn’t get Elian by burning the damn place to the ground.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 6, 2010 @ 3:08 pm - April 6, 2010

13. IF a child was taken from a state here in the US and the mother died who would have rights to the child..my guess the father…and vice versa…interesting to see you’re emotions running amok … I do believe the father did not want to come here…and now on top of everything else..he has a day named after him a parade in his honor etc..lots of propaganda…but i have to ask the father … None of us can know exactly what was in the father’s head at the time and since then… I know my father would have died rather than to have any of his kids go back to something he didn’t in…maybe the guy really did believe in the castro regime…sounds like a lot of judgment once again coming from the right… guess things are getting back to “normal”
    You all are starting to sound like bleeding heart lefties on this one…

And to think..because of Dick Cheney (greatest American of all time…?) and George Bush..we have an ineligible Muslim in the White House…who’d a thunk it!

Seems there is some other kind of battle going on at a much deeper level than any of us can even begin to understand…

Why the Michelle tape was released and by whom..and why now..and why this being posted now….Why the FOX interview with Odinga over the weekend (second time I had seen a story like that..last time was during the campaign)

Think about it ..and do you really want to wade into that …if you do…please be careful ….

Is all of this just a really big distraction for something else going on..

Army Lt. (a Dr. I beleive) facing Court Martial right now for questioning the eligibility of barry….hmmm…..

Just sayin…

Comment by left leaning lesbian — April 6, 2010 @ 3:50 pm - April 6, 2010

14. I’m not particularly emotional, but when the footage came in of those stormtroopers pulling the screaming child from a closet… I wept openly.

Sure realpolitik and all, but what did we get for it?

Cordially,
    -MFS

Comment by MFS — April 6, 2010 @ 4:50 pm - April 6, 2010

15. Bear in mind that Elian’s father had been granted primary custody. Mom kidnapped him and put him at great risk.

Dad also left his new wife and possibly another child as hostages when he came to fetch the boy (if I remember events correctly).

Shouldn’t the custodial parent, absent any proof of abuse, actually be allowed to raise his own children?!?

Granted, the gestapo techniques were not called for.

Comment by Jax Dancer — April 6, 2010 @ 5:15 pm - April 6, 2010

16. we have an ineligible Muslim in the White House…who’d a thunk it!

Only as long as the teleprompter works. Ask him a question, though, in you’re buried under a 17 minute pile of bullshit. No doubt he’s already flipped through the White Sox roster so in the future he might have some inkling of what the hell he’s talking about. The ObamaCareless legislation is too long to read.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 6, 2010 @ 5:23 pm - April 6, 2010

17. Jes sayin…

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 6, 2010 @ 5:24 pm - April 6, 2010

18. John, if you have an issue with him being taken from the father, bring it up to the mother who died in Florida waters.

When his mother died in trying to bring him to freedom, Elian’s father had legitimate and primary custody rights over everyone else barring evidence that he is unfit. The courts heard the case and didn’t agree that Elian’s father was unfit.

Indeed and I wish Elian’s mother had survived to keep her son here but unfortunately did not.

As I recall he was offered a chance to come live here and rejected it. His choice. A stupid choice I’d say for himself and Elian.

Why traumatize the kid then brain wash him into a foot soldier for communism?

For the same reason we do not rip kids away from parents raising them to proud lil’ Klansmen or asinine members of the Westboro Baptist Church: parents’ rights in raising their children as they believe supercede everything else, except in limited circumstances.

Comment by John — April 6, 2010 @ 5:48 pm - April 6, 2010

19. 10: My Dad would have made the same choice as well, but that’s precisely the point: parent’s decide how to raise their kids not the State except in very limited circumstances. Have we forgotten how ticked off folks are here about how much the State is involved in the raising of our kids against the wishes of the parents? That this is something we’d all like to see changed?

Comment by John — April 6, 2010 @ 5:50 pm - April 6, 2010

20. Hypothetical: If it were 1939, and the world were more aware of Nazi death camps, and a Jewish kid’s mom died trying to bring him to America from Nazi Germany, and the kid had an aunt here able and willing to take good care of him… but then Nazi thugs showed up with the father in tow, demanding the kid… would it be morally right – not legally right, but morally right – for the government to deliver the kid into Nazis hands, by force?

If the answer is “no”, as I think it is, then the next question is the extent to which Elian’s situation rose to that level. Obviously he wasn’t headed straight for a death camp, as a Jewish kid would have been in 1939 Germany. But Communist Cuba is, in essence, a giant prison camp.

The courts heard the case and didn’t agree that Elian’s father was unfit.

And, sadly, failed to find that the father was being at least partly coerced by the nation of Cuba, which as a nation was unfit.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 6, 2010 @ 6:20 pm - April 6, 2010

21. 10. The State would not have been raising Elian. His many relatives here wanted him and was very able to give him a good home where he would be free and not subject to the brain washing.

Comment by John W — April 6, 2010 @ 6:28 pm - April 6, 2010

22. P.S. Looking at the 2 pix again side by side, I can’t help wondering if Elian has developed any sort of traumatic fixation on guns. Perhaps he has not. It’s just that from a certain viewpoint, a gun is what brought him back to Cuba, i.e. decided his life.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 6, 2010 @ 6:51 pm - April 6, 2010

23. This case was one in which it became completely obvious to me that I would never be able to have any truck with modern American conservatism.

The absolute moral evil of trying to use the government to steal a child away from his father because we do not like the politics of the country that the father lives in, is just so beyond the pale – I can simply not have any respect whatsoever for anyone who convinces themselves that such a crime is a good thing.

In most places, calling up the nazi-commie allusions is understood to be rather over the top. Around here it is par for the course. I really try to avoid such hyperbole, but in this case, it isn’t really hyperbole. What kind of people, what kind of regime tears children away from their parents for political reasons?

Fortunately, something like 70% of the American people had the good sense to support sending Elian back to his father. It was one of the profoundly good moments of the Clinton years. For the rest of the people, there really is no hope – just an absolute determination to keep them away from the levers of power.

Comment by Tano — April 6, 2010 @ 8:54 pm - April 6, 2010

24. Anybody who thinks Elian Gonzalez’s father was acting as a free agent, is delusional. Elian’s father is controlled by a totalitiarian government. He has no rights to exercise. This goes to show how low Americans have stooped in accepting this tropical prison. This is one reason why it continues 50 years later; while people languish in this hell hole. There was a reason why his mother risked her life in shark infested waters to escape. I can’t believe it has been 10 years. WOW!!! He’s handsome. I always wondered if he will try to escape. I’m hoping the brainwashing hasn’t gotten to him. Of course that’s wishful thinking on my part. Elian is under lock and key, physically and mentally.

Comment by Scherie — April 6, 2010 @ 9:49 pm - April 6, 2010

25. The absolute moral evil of trying to use the government to steal a child away from his father because we do not like the politics of the country that the father lives in, is just so beyond the pale

Except, as usual with the lying left, your description has absolutely zero resemblance to the truth. Nobody tried to steal him from him father. HIS MOTHER BROUGHT HIM HERE because she wanted her son to grow up in the then freedom of the United States (little did she know your fascist party would take over and destroy that freedom as fast as they possibly can)

Which only goes to show the contemptible moral repugnance of regressives — LYING about children and disregarding the wishes of their own mothers in order to propagandize for communist dictators you DO like the politics of.

The only ones beyond the pale, as usual, are the unpopular, unwanted, America-destroying fascist regressives.

Comment by American Elephant — April 6, 2010 @ 10:22 pm - April 6, 2010

26. The absolute moral evil of trying to use the government to steal a child away from his father because we do not like the politics of the country that the father lives in, is just so beyond the pale

He had every chance winding up in Fidel’s prisons. What kind of sick SOB would think that’s a great idea? Oh yeah. A liberal SOB who hates America and masturbates to his Che t-shirt.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — April 6, 2010 @ 11:06 pm - April 6, 2010

27. Aww…. Tano is trying to use the big gwownup talk. (And failing… as usual.)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 6, 2010 @ 11:10 pm - April 6, 2010

28. What, pray tell, is worse than absolute moral evil? Maybe irrevocable, totally, intentional, pre-meditated absolute moral evil.

Anyway, Tano is not my go-to authority on morality or any shade of it.

Happy Easter, Tano. Where have you been?

Comment by heliotrope — April 6, 2010 @ 11:11 pm - April 6, 2010

29. #23: “What kind of people, what kind of regime tears children away from their parents for political reasons?”

Usually the same kind that would bring a child and parent together for political reasons.

Comment by Sean A — April 7, 2010 @ 12:04 am - April 7, 2010

30. The most disgraceful act of the Great Whoremonger, William Jefferson Blythe Clinton’s presidency. The mother was trying to escape Red Cuba. She died to get to freedom for crying out loud. That is what SHE wanted for Elian. And yet, hiding behind the law as most liberals do, they sent in stormtroopers to snatch Elian from his new family and sent him back to Red Cuba. And gave Fidel Castro a victory. Not unlike Jimmah Carter letting Castro empty his prisons in the 1980 boatlift. Elian is now a propaganda tool for Raul or Fidel, they are interchangable. To explain the “hiding behind the law”, it is how liberals never have to really take a position on any issue. This is how they get away with being “pro-choice”-the Supreme Court ruled on it. How many would vote for unfettered, up to the ninth month abortions? Just elaborating my point.

Comment by Mark J. Goluskin — April 7, 2010 @ 12:52 am - April 7, 2010

31. Actually, they weren’t even hiding behind the law, Mark. The law is that any Cuban who reaches US land is granted asylum. Clinton and Janet Reno had to circumvent that law in order to send Elian back to Cuba.

Just as Obama with Honduras, the left will ALWAYS side with communists against American law and American interests. They have more in common with commies than they do with most Americans.

Comment by American Elephant — April 7, 2010 @ 1:04 am - April 7, 2010

32. Tano’s been waiting to see if the Christ saw his shadow when he rose from the tomb, to see if we’d have 6 more weeks of Global Warming.

Of course the anti-semite tries to rewrite the history of Elian Gonzales. After all, he supports the supression of freedom around the world.

Comment by The_Livewire — April 7, 2010 @ 8:35 am - April 7, 2010

33. Oh, and we can now say that in this administration KSM has more rights than American Citizens.

Comment by The_Livewire — April 7, 2010 @ 9:27 am - April 7, 2010

34. Just one less for us to support

Comment by AJ — April 7, 2010 @ 1:20 pm - April 7, 2010

35. Tano’s been waiting to see if the Christ saw his shadow when he rose from the tomb, to see if we’d have 6 more weeks of Global Warming.

Snort!

Comment by American Elephant — April 7, 2010 @ 3:21 pm - April 7, 2010

36. And the biggest disgrace: Clinton and Reno are still alive.

Comment by Classical Liberal Dave — April 8, 2010 @ 1:27 am - April 8, 2010

37. This is one issue where I happen to agree with Clinton and Reno.
    The boy belonged with his father. Since the family members here insisted on trying to keep them apart, I have no problem with the lengths that were taken to reunite them.

Comment by Bobbie — April 8, 2010 @ 7:41 pm - April 8, 2010

38. [...] CUBA Thanks To Bill Clinton & Janet Reno Cuba Has A New Communist Footsoldier [...]

Pingback by Fausta’s Blog » Blog Archive » The Carnival of Latin America and the Caribbean — April 12, 2010 @ 12:47 pm - April 12, 2010