Obama on My Metro Pass

Today, when I bought my Day Pass for the DC Metro, I was a little surprised to find a familiar face on the card:

So, what is the president doing on a ticket to the public transportation system in our nation’s capital.  It says it’s celebrating his presidential inauguration.  But, I don’t recall seeing the image of Bill Clinton on such tickets when I lived in DC during his inaugural in 1997.  Nor do my friends require such images during his first inaugural.  Or for either of W’s.

And anyway, the inauguration was 16 months ago.

This is not where Americans place the image of our president.  This is something they do in authoritarian countries.

1. Big Brother is everywhere.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — May 27, 2010 @ 5:29 pm - May 27, 2010

2. Except when it comes to talking to the press.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — May 27, 2010 @ 5:30 pm - May 27, 2010

3. OMG No wonder they are not smiling in DC

Comment by PatriotMom — May 27, 2010 @ 5:47 pm - May 27, 2010

4. I do have a question

Does anyone know why the president has not even flown over the damage to Nashville? It is on the way to Louisiana afterall

Comment by PatriotMom — May 27, 2010 @ 5:50 pm - May 27, 2010

5. So did you draw a litter Hitler mustache on it? ; )

Comment by The Ugly American — May 27, 2010 @ 5:55 pm - May 27, 2010

6. PatriotMom- That was my exact thought!

Comment by Left Leaning Lesbian — May 27, 2010 @ 6:32 pm - May 27, 2010

7. You must admit, seeing Obamas face on your pass is too much like Hussiens face painted on all the buildings in Baghdad, or all the Stalin posters up in the old USSR. Chilling. No doubt this is a cult of personality. Not performance…..Ft Hood, Christmas day bomber, Gulf Oil spill, 10% unemployment,
    Do we want him to spend more time on the golf course or at dinners….maybe we might be better off. When he said he was responsible for the gulf oil spill and clean up, I got chills.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — May 27, 2010 @ 6:37 pm - May 27, 2010

8. The Obama regime is a cult-of-personality. Iconography and hagiography trump any real depth or substance. “All hail the Obamessiah….”, “Hope” and “Change” you can believe in.

And, if he’s thinking about the Gulf well-spill when he goes to bed and when he gets up every morning, then the White House is being visited by the Ghost of Jimmy Carter…and we all remember how that “Iranian Islamic Revolution”-thing turned-out.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — May 27, 2010 @ 10:23 pm - May 27, 2010

9. Interesting observation Dan. Glad you posted it. It strikes me as a more symbolic than fascist visual. Is this because people get carried away because he’s President and he’s black? It’s some kind of a symbolic victory perhaps, over our shameful slavery past…combined with the seduction of novelty in the form of the first black President.

I think Obama’s as a most destructive emotional election. Like J.F.K.’s, an emotional election always effects destruction.

Comment by patrick — May 27, 2010 @ 10:33 pm - May 27, 2010

10. Pretty crazy about the Day Pass. Last year, around April, I had gotten a day pass, or perhaps just a regular ticket on the DC metro, and found it a tad odd. Though the reasoning I figured is that he’s a historical President, due to him being black. So I can accept that. Not really a big deal to me, as I had just moved up to DC during that time, so I was unfamiliar of what types of images appeared on the tickets.

Though yeah, a odd to still have that available. Perhaps government ‘efficiency’ would be the culprit, like they may have a few stacks that just keep getting stacked upon when they re-stock the supplies. I guess the real story would be if they are continuing to print them.

Comment by Gary — May 27, 2010 @ 10:51 pm - May 27, 2010

11. Imagine the meltdown had the Metro put Bush’s face on the tickets.

That’s what makes this spectacularly hilarious.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — May 28, 2010 @ 12:22 am - May 28, 2010

12. When I saw Obama trading cards at Wal-Mart, I knew (as if I didn’t before) that it was a cult of personality.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — May 28, 2010 @ 2:06 am - May 28, 2010

13. How come people don’t faint when he speaks anymore?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — May 28, 2010 @ 2:06 am - May 28, 2010

14. TGC,

Well they say when you’ve been around sewage long enough, you don’t notice the smell…

Comment by The_Livewire — May 28, 2010 @ 6:42 am - May 28, 2010

15. [...] The administration pulls a queue from two-bit dictatorships. [...]

Pingback by Stones Cry Out - If they keep silent… » Things Heard: e120v5 — May 28, 2010 @ 9:27 am - May 28, 2010

16. We will soon see “Greenies” goose stepping down Penn Ave. Dan, get out of there as fast as you can!

Comment by JebnTex — May 28, 2010 @ 9:45 am - May 28, 2010