Shirley Sherrod and My Haste to Post

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 2:52 pm - July 21, 2010.
Filed under: Blogging

I want to apologize to my readers and to Shirley Sherrod.  I was one of the first bloggers to re-publish the excerpted video from Andrew Breitbart regarding Ms. Sherrod’s speech to the NAACP.

Clearly, this has turned into a much more complex story than a simple case of “RAAAAAAACIST” based on one video clip.  I should have known better on Monday.

That being said, I should not have been so hasty to post the video and engage in the same type of sweeping behavior of labeling Americans as “RAAAAACIST” as, for example, the NAACP has to millions of American in the TEA Party movement.

I will make no excuses, I apologize and I regret that I didn’t let this story simmer for a little longer.  I got swept into the “gotcha” mentality of the moment on Monday when this video appeared.  I haven’t pulled it down because I do appreciate the commenters’ clarifying the situation as time went along and because I do not want to hide from my mistake.

(My one attempt at a lame excuse is that my “window” to blog comes and goes and it just happened to open up when the Sherrod video was first going viral).

The fact of the matter is there is too much of a rush to judgment in America (i.e. – the Obama Admin firing Sherrod immediately without investigating) these days and the consequences are personal to those individuals touched.

I cannot promise that I won’t make another rush-to-blog error in the future.  But I wanted to get it on the record that on this one, I goofed.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. Kudos to you!

Comment by rusty — July 21, 2010 @ 3:31 pm - July 21, 2010

2. […] Shirley Sherrod and My Haste to Post […]

Pingback by SC Politics 7/21: Person of the Week… Shirley Sherrod « — July 21, 2010 @ 3:43 pm - July 21, 2010

3. The fact that the White House has made such a huge mistake is unforgiveable. You know the total salaries of the place approach 40 Million dollars annually? I’m just guessing but I’ll assume your staff at GP doesn’t come very close to that kind of administration.
    This bunch at this White House are just boobs and dummies. The media too quite frankly. Doesn’t anyone at least pick up a cell phone and try to verify stories anymore? This is the media’s number one “job”. They just take press releases, add a few words and call it a “story”, news.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — July 21, 2010 @ 3:49 pm - July 21, 2010

4. Limbaugh is on this rant that there isn’t any “media” anymore. That no one does “journalism” anymore. It would be hard to argue with him.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — July 21, 2010 @ 3:50 pm - July 21, 2010

5. The NAALCP is sinking into a deeper pit of dumb over it though.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — July 21, 2010 @ 3:55 pm - July 21, 2010

6. Newsbusters is reporting that Gibbs at the White House is now saying they are trying to reach out to MS Sherrod, but can’t seem to get her on the phone. No I’m not kidding. Such a competent bunch eh?

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — July 21, 2010 @ 3:56 pm - July 21, 2010

7. (Obamas cell phone doesn’t work until he hits the 16th green so….
    give him time…..)

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — July 21, 2010 @ 3:56 pm - July 21, 2010

8. I made the following comments in the Shirley Sherrod in Context post below. I am uncomfortable with being left criticizing Sherrod after the Gay Patriots seem to be backing away. I have not changed my opinion of what I saw in both the Breitbart snippet and the full speech. Here are my comments:

The rush to being non-judgmental is a bit confusing to me.

My (bigoted?) eyes still see a woman talking with a group who interact with one another in the nuanced way that people who belong to the same “you know what I mean” club practice.

In fact, I would liken it to a Gay Patriot addressing a liberal gay group with due deference to their pet prejudices.

You can not blush away the fact that Shirley Sherrod, in context, was a black woman talking to the liberal blacks in a comfortable parlor talk to her clique.

I would hope that a Gay Patriot addressing gay liberals would take a clear message directly to the group.

I would hope that a black person with a morality tale would deliver it to the NAACP in clear terms.

I also admit that this backing off of the first reactions, makes each of us who “joined” the chorus look like jerks until we join the parade and withdraw from our comments.

I am not going to do that. The dialog between the races or about the races within a race needs to be clear, unambiguous and principled. I do not see a clearly principled woman in the abbreviated tape nor in the extended version.

The abbreviated tape is not the “gotcha” moment of someone being an ass, but neither is it a demonstration of taking an important principle to the masses in an effort to redirect their views.

The NAACP is still the same bunch of bigots and Shirley Sherrod still acted the jester to their court of victimhood.

Comment by heliotrope — July 21, 2010 @ 4:29 pm - July 21, 2010

9. I must say though
    that when Ms Sherrod said…
    “I took, the white farmer to see one of his own, ”
    my racism antenna went up. NO?
    If a cracker said the same thing about a black client….

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — July 21, 2010 @ 4:39 pm - July 21, 2010

10. Good on you Bruce. I was too busy to post anything when the original story broke. Here is what I posted last night on Dan’s post, and I stand by it.

After watching the full video, I conclude, that if the sole reason for her firing was this vid, Shirlety Sherrod was wrongly terminated. Being a film major in college, and knowing just how manipulative a good editor can be, I can’t stand when video is edited. I railed against it when they aired the highly edited Charlie Gibson interview of Sarah Palin. You know I’m not a fan of hers, yet I came to her defense on that one, and I despise it here. Unless there is something we don’t yet know about this situation, the administration has some explaining to do.

Breitbart says he got only the edited version of the vid. I’m not quite buying that. Being a guy who is aware of the power of clever editing, I would think he would wait to see the unedited version before using the edited version. The unedited version makes him look like a liar. He could have been duped, but I don’t know if I buy that. I’m expecting more info to come out, and I’m thinking it’s going to get ugly on all sides. I’m going to blog on this tomorrow.

I will post more today…. if I have time.

Comment by Sonicfrog — July 21, 2010 @ 4:55 pm - July 21, 2010

11. Helio- I don’t have the time to write more, but I am more in your camp than not on this topic. I’m only saying I should have waited a bit longer….

Comment by Bruce (GayPatriot) — July 21, 2010 @ 5:26 pm - July 21, 2010

12. It is amazing when one truly looks at oneself in a mirror . . .

Comment by rusty — July 21, 2010 @ 5:27 pm - July 21, 2010

13. Many years ago I came up with a 72 hour rule for myself when it came to following the news. To get the story in perspective and make an informed opinion a news item needed that much time to flesh out the issues. Unfortunately, I do not always do this and this is one of those cases.

Let’s still give it some time to see how the dust settles. There are a lot of lessons for both sides of the racism issue to learn here. The question is will we?

Comment by BigShooter — July 21, 2010 @ 5:53 pm - July 21, 2010

14. […] Shirley Sherrod and My Haste to Post […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Wondering about the NAACP & Administration’s Rush to Judgment in L’Affaire Sherrod — July 21, 2010 @ 6:00 pm - July 21, 2010

15. Before you backtrack, This White House doesn’t move that fast unless someone’s rear end is badly exposed. My advice is follow the money.

Sherrod’s family got $13 million of the $1.15 billion distributed to date under the Pigford civil rights class action suit against the USDA for alleging refusing to help black farmers. Indeed, Sherrod was hired by this administration for her USDA post very soon after her family settled.

Sherrod’s hubby was a 60’s radical, influential in the Student Nonviolence Coordinating Committee. Her background suggests she knows more about community organizing than about growing crops and raising livestock.

What makes this really interesting is that in 2008 Congress extended the time for people to file claims in Pigford dispite evidence that many such claims are bogus. We are talking several times more claims than the estimate of the number of working black owned farms.

Sherrod helped to scam millions of dollars for African Americans who are not even farmers. That is probably what the White House is trying to distract you from finding out.

Comment by OlyPatriot — July 21, 2010 @ 6:02 pm - July 21, 2010

16. Good for you Bruce.

And conversely, heliotrope is an utter embarrassment of a human being. If I’ve understood his recent comments correctly, he’s basically saying that she’s still a racist, just in nudge-nudge, wink-wink kinda way, and not the overtly bragging about refusing to help white people in public kinda way. Not more than a week ago, heliotrope was lecturing me about how arrogant I was and how I don’t have a proper value system, and here he is proudly stating that he’s not going to admit that he’s in the wrong, in a case where he is obviously in the wrong.

Finally, I hate Democrats. Not liberals, of course, liberals are practically nowhere to be found in any position of importance in the Democratic Party. The absolute best that you can see about Democratic leadership is that they were all born yesterday and wouldn’t know their butts from a hole in the ground. This exact same person pulled the exact same scam on these people less than two years ago that elicited a similar, ill-considered and ultimately embarrassing over-reaction from the leadership, and this time, THEY FELL FOR IT EVEN FASTER.

In summation, this is humiliating for both parties. It demonstrates that Republicans are so desperate to have their prejudices and assumptions about their political enemies confirmed that they check their critical thinking skills at the door, and it demonstrates that Democrats are weak-willed, spineless, and seemingly always eager to stab one another in the back in the face of even the mildest or insincere criticism. There’s no way to win.

Comment by Levi — July 21, 2010 @ 6:11 pm - July 21, 2010

17. If a cracker said the same thing about a black client….

If the cracker had prefaced the comment with something akin to “Back then, I only cared about helping other white people, but God had different ideas,” do you really think the cracker would still have been condemned by honest listeners?

I think it’s sufficiently clear that Ms. Sherrod’s tale belongs to the genre of “conversion narratives” — and it takes deliberate and crafty editing to disguise the story’s moral: namely, that Sherrod had repented of her former indifference to white clients.

Comment by Throbert McGee — July 21, 2010 @ 6:37 pm - July 21, 2010

18. If I’ve understood his recent comments correctly, he’s basically saying that she’s still a racist, just in nudge-nudge, wink-wink kinda way, and not the overtly bragging about refusing to help white people in public kinda way.

Now please, Levi, go down that path, because if you even dare state that it’s stupid to talk about “coded” messages, implications, and phrases, you will get slapped so hard with one of your fellow “progressives” screaming about the same that you won’t wake up until next week.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — July 21, 2010 @ 7:04 pm - July 21, 2010

19. “Well, of course she is. She isn’t overt, but she talks about it in code and clearly implies that she is with phrases that she knows her audience will understand as supporting their racist beliefs.”

From what I understand, the comments she made were regarding something that happened 24 years ago.
    I’ll bet most of us here have changed quite a bit in 24 years, no?

Comment by Bobbie — July 21, 2010 @ 7:19 pm - July 21, 2010

20. Actually, no; she’s still a race-baiting hustler, as her remarks today show.

“I think they should but they won’t. They intended exactly what they did. “They were looking for the result they got yesterday,” she said of Fox. “I am just a pawn. I was just here. They are after a bigger thing, they would love to take us back to where we were many years ago. Back to where black people were looking down, not looking white folks in the face, not being able to compete for a job out there and not be a whole person.”

This is turning into an utter gift from heaven. We are now going to have in the USDA, working for the government, perhaps even as Civil Rights Commissioner, a person who says that conservatives are all racist.

This little dimbulb is WAY overplaying her hand, and she is going to make the Obama Party look like complete and utter fools in the process. SWEET.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — July 21, 2010 @ 7:35 pm - July 21, 2010

21. I was referring to her statement in the video, only. What she’s saying now might say something else about her. (And I think it does since she seems more willing to blame Fox and Breitbart than the administration that fired her.)
    But personally, the video didn’t show me she was racist at all.

Comment by Bobbie — July 21, 2010 @ 7:53 pm - July 21, 2010

22. …..heliotrope is an utter embarrassment of a human being. If I’ve understood his recent comments correctly……

Oops, I guess the one Levi put first is what come first. What an utter embarrassment.

Comment by heliotrope — July 21, 2010 @ 8:24 pm - July 21, 2010

23. The more MS Sherrod talks the more we understand she is a leftist who may indeed speak in code. I really thought 18 months ago, we had traveled past this. The many independents who voted for an inexperienced Barack Obama, I’m sure hoped we were past this kind of racial turmoil. Beer summit II, white wine summit with Vilsack and Sherrod? Obama once again in over his head.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — July 21, 2010 @ 8:51 pm - July 21, 2010

24. as Breitbart pointed out, he was pointing out the racism in the NAALCP. That he got her out of context still doesn’t disprove his point because the Crowd (which included the head of the org.) was Agreeing With Her in the section that sounded the most racist. Then, the situation shows that not only are they being racist, they handle the exposure poorly and over react.
    Is she a leftist?
    is she a Racist?
    Maybe. But she seems to now be working on that.
    Is she qualified for her former job?
    No. But I’m not the one appointing her, so my opinion is not important.
    That she is considering not taking any jobs offered as retribution shows some good judgment on her part.

Comment by JP — July 22, 2010 @ 2:44 am - July 22, 2010

25. The big picture is that she is a racist who tries to be careful when she’s speaking to a crowd. The problem is true racists just can’t control their desire to speak from their hearts. It will come out that she is no saint. You’ll see.

Comment by Carol — July 22, 2010 @ 8:33 am - July 22, 2010

26. liberals are practically nowhere to be found in any position of importance in the Democratic Party.

Thanks for torpedoing any comment you’ve made now and for all time and rendering them utter bullshit.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — July 22, 2010 @ 8:35 am - July 22, 2010

27. TGC,

It took that long for Levi to do that for you?

Comment by The_Livewire — July 22, 2010 @ 9:01 am - July 22, 2010

28. Which comes first, understanding what I said or declaring me an utter embarrassment of a human being?

I’m pretty sure I understand what you’re saying. By all means – try to clarify your statement in this thread and the ones in the earlier threads.

Comment by Levi — July 22, 2010 @ 10:42 am - July 22, 2010

29. Levi, you’re a racist. You simply can’t understand what heliotrope is saying because you are prejudiced on the basis of skin color, just like Sherrod.

And that is typical for “progressives”. They are racists by nature, addicted to their racist beliefs and incapable of viewing the world rationally. And what’s really funny is that they demand that others follow their racist views and treat people differently on the basis of skin color.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — July 22, 2010 @ 12:20 pm - July 22, 2010

30. heliotrope,

Levi says he understands what you’re saying. Of course we’ve seen his previous understanding of history, economics, constitutional law, science, theology etc etc so take his words at that value.

Comment by The_Livewire — July 22, 2010 @ 1:18 pm - July 22, 2010

31. Mrs. Sherrod is still a race vulture of the worst kind. She wants Andrew Breitbart’s Big Government shut down & she also says Breitbart himself is returning the USA to slavery??? The woman is a female race hustler, a Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton clone. The more she talks, the more repugnant, anti-American attitude & beliefs just falls off her lips. She is a disaster. You did not speak too soon.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — July 23, 2010 @ 6:50 pm - July 23, 2010

32. I see that now, Sebastian. But I didn’t know all of that at the time. Just the excerpted video.

It is obvious that this week’s media over-exposure of Sherrod has proved Breitbart correct about her and the NAACP.

Comment by GayPatriot — July 24, 2010 @ 2:35 pm - July 24, 2010

33. […] Last week, I jumped the gun (as did many others) in taking what was a complex story and boiling it down to an video clip without its proper context.  I apologized to my readers and to Shirley Sherrod. […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » My Apology to Shirley Sherrod — Withdrawn — July 27, 2010 @ 4:43 pm - July 27, 2010

34. […] […]

Pingback by GayPatriot - My Apology to Shirley Sherrod - Withdrawn — July 28, 2010 @ 2:03 am - July 28, 2010

35. […] Last week, I jumped the gun (as did many others) in taking what was a complex story and boiling it down to an video clip without its proper context. I apologized to my readers and to Shirley Sherrod. […]

Pingback by My Apology to Shirley Sherrod — Withdrawn « A Moral Outrage — July 28, 2010 @ 4:59 pm - July 28, 2010