Was Obama Channeling Robert Byrd on The View?

I am sick to my stomach and furious that our so-called “post-racial” President uttered these words on national TV today:

When asked about his background, which includes a black father and white mother, Obama said of African-Americans: “We are sort of a mongrel people.”

I initially was going to resist posting on this because I really despise racial politics.  But since we are getting some new readership from the Left (and they have no clue about American history), I thought it was important.

Does President Obama have any idea what he just put out there on the table?  Perhaps the most incendiary language in American history

From the article ‘D. W. Griffith and “The Birth of A Monster‘:  [Reference: Who Is D. W. Griffith?]

D.W. Griffith’s 1915 motion picture The Birth of a Nation — originally titled The Clansman — a film which presented a re-writing of the actual history of post Civil War Reconstruction by the same Confederate traitors aginst whom the war had to be fought. It portrayed African-Americans in the post-Civil War South as depraved, lascivious beasts whose rampant lawlessness and alleged domination of the South — through military force and control of the state legislatures — threatened to destroy “Southern civilization” and “mongrelize the races”. The film asserts that this could only be stopped by the glorified lynchings and reign of terror carried out by the “honorable” new, secret order of the “chivalrous” Knights of the Ku Klux Klan.

<…>

In most of the Northern cities where the The Birth of a Nation was scheduled to be shown, political fights exploded, and some small riots did occur in Philadelphia and elsewhere where the film was shown. The NAACP and others attempted to seek either a banning of the film completely, or to force the editing-out of the most egregious racist scenes. For the most part, those attempts were futile. Endless hearings were held before mayors, state legislatures, city councils, and state and city censorship boards across the country. The Illinois legislature voted 111-2 to ban the showing in that state, but eventually lost on judicial appeals filed by the film’s promoters.

Those hearings became platforms for the pro-Griffith lobby to pronounce the alleged virtues of eugenics. In New York City, Griffith’s lawyer Martin W. Littleton told Mayor Mitchell that the film was a “protest against the mongrel mixture of black and white.”

It is disgusting and putrid that a President of the United States bring this kind of filth language into the public discourse when our nation has moved so far past it.  Laura Ingraham is correct, Obama is not “post-racial” — he is the most racial and divisive President we have ever had.  Two top Democrat operatives agreed with that conclusion as well this week.

Rather than being a unifier, Mr. Obama has divided America on the basis of race, class and partisanship. Moreover, his cynical approach to governance has encouraged his allies to pursue a similar strategy of racially divisive politics on his behalf.

We have seen the divisive approach under Republican presidents as well—particularly the administrations of Richard Nixon and George W. Bush. It was wrong then, and it is wrong now. By dividing America, Mr. Obama has brought our government to the brink of a crisis of legitimacy, compromising our ability to address our most important policy issues.

<…>

The president had a unique opportunity to focus on overarching issues of importance to whites and blacks. He has failed to address the critical challenges. He has not used his bully pulpit to emphasize the importance of racial unity and the common interest of poor whites and blacks who need training, job opportunities, and the possibility of realizing the American Dream. He hasn’t done enough to address youth unemployment—which in the white community is 23.2% and in the black community is 39.9%.

Mr. Obama has also cynically divided the country on class lines. He has taken to playing the populist card time and time again. He bashes Wall Street and insurance companies whenever convenient to advance his programs, yet he has been eager to accept campaign contributions and negotiate with these very same banks and corporations behind closed doors in order to advance his political agenda.

Obama’s use of the expression “mongrel people” on The View is further evidence that this President wants to stab America at its heart and divide our people in a way that no other President has.

I have always questioned Obama’s knowledge and comprehension of the American Experience and the American Character.  Now I truly do not believe he has any clue about either.  This is a dangerous man we have elected.

[RELATED: Mongrel. Sexism. Just Another Healing Day for the POTUS - Liberty Pundits]

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. President Obama is a disaster. His attempt to appeal to stay at home mom’s on The View just imploded when he called those same moms & the rest of Americans, mongrels.

I believe this is the real Barack Obama who came out to play given he had no script & teleprompter as he unthikningly reads like a somnambulist.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — July 29, 2010 @ 3:33 pm - July 29, 2010

2. “This is a dangerous man we have elected.”

So true. People compare him to Carter but that’s an insult to Carter who was mostly just incompetent at that point in his life. Obama is indeed dangerous and it’s only his incompetence – and that of his advisors and the Democrat congress – that keep him from being downright lethal to our nation.

Comment by TRO — July 29, 2010 @ 3:48 pm - July 29, 2010

3. [...] GayPatriot » Was Obama Channeling Robert Byrd on The View? Posted on 07/29/2010 by stix1972 embaPub="ccc0aa1b81bf81e16c676ddb977c5881";embaStyle="";embaPub="ccc0aa1b81bf81e16c676ddb977c5881";embaURL="http://blog.stixblog.com/2010/07/29/gaypatriot-%c2%bb-was-obama-channeling-robert-byrd-on-the-view/&quot;; // '); })(); //]]> http://www.gaypatriot.net/2010/07/29/was-obama-channeling-robe&#8230; [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Was Obama Channeling Robert Byrd on The View? | Stix Blog ver 4.0 — July 29, 2010 @ 3:49 pm - July 29, 2010

4. Then he said: “That’s actually true of white people as well,
    but we just know more about it.”

So white people are too stupid to be aware of their heritage, I suppose.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — July 29, 2010 @ 3:58 pm - July 29, 2010

5. This is nonsense…Joy Behar said in the very next breath practically before Obama even finished his comments that so are we all. Why aren’t you jumping all over her? Look at the tape; I watched the show myself. This is just another case of another obsessice/compulsive attention-monger to play the all-too-popular race card to have something to write about and satisfy his own ego.

What are mongrels? They’re those animals of mixed breeds (or races), so what? We adopt them in the dog pounds every day and love them to death. As Whoopie Goldbeg would say “What the Hell?!!”

Comment by Terry — July 29, 2010 @ 4:57 pm - July 29, 2010

6. You did NOT just bring the groundbreaking filmmaker W D Griffith into the light????

Oh, yes you did!

Careful, this one act may steer some libs to the site to call you a racist for even bringing him up.

Comment by Sonicfrog — July 29, 2010 @ 4:57 pm - July 29, 2010

7. I have spent the better part of the last five years being the minority voice if not the only conservative voice on Towleroad and actively campaigned against Obama! I believe his policies are fiscally irresponsible and have placed this country on a collision course with bankruptcy. However, I know my history, I am politically motivated and active and I watched the president on the view and did not take away this impression at all!

I do not find him racial polarizing or the most racial and divisive President as Laura Ingraham has stated. I see a right wing movement to spin everything he says, in a very crafty manner, in an effort to sway public opinion via using race as a catalyst.

This take on Obama’s interview is nothing more than the spin placed on Shirley Sherrod’s speech by Andrew Breitbart. This racial spin and undertone of the right is what has slowly pushed me out of the republican party and has left me with no middle ground.

Comment by RB — July 29, 2010 @ 4:58 pm - July 29, 2010

8. I know I am probably throwing myself to the wolfs by commenting on this blog, but I really wanted to join the discussion.

As someone who is from two ethnic groups, I don’t think the President’s comments are offensive. After watching video, I think he was trying to make light on the subject while also being honest about being mixed race. I think the white people comment was meant to say that there was a time in our country that if someone could “pass for white”, they would. I know how this is because I too tend to be mistaken for white because of the lightness of my skin. The discussion of race is very complex and nuanced, and deserves to be approached openly and honestly.

Besides, it’s the View, not Meet the Press or even Larry King. They talked about Lindsey Lohan and Jersey Shore right after.

Comment by Mark Saunders — July 29, 2010 @ 5:04 pm - July 29, 2010

9. OK. I can’t wait… I’m going to be the first person to do it….

Bruce.

You’re a racist!!!!! :-)

Comment by Sonicfrog — July 29, 2010 @ 5:09 pm - July 29, 2010

10. RB-

If you saw The View as your stand-alone data point — fine.

If you follow the pattern of Obama’s divisive rhetoric and policies then you are willfully ignoring the danger.

Comment by GayPatriot — July 29, 2010 @ 5:22 pm - July 29, 2010

11. Terry & Mark –

So I presume you’d be as excusing to George W. Bush if he called African-Americans as a “mongrel breed”?

It is astounding how liberals excuse obvious & blantant racism by their own, but scream “RAAAAACISST” and “BIIIIIIIGOT” when one is merely opposing liberals on public policy grounds.

Comment by GayPatriot — July 29, 2010 @ 5:26 pm - July 29, 2010

12. OMG–MONGREL? Really? Can we go back to calling them pickaninnies now? or darkies?

So, is Obama black or white?

If only this week’s Globe turns out to be true!

Comment by Ashpenaz — July 29, 2010 @ 5:34 pm - July 29, 2010

13. The president’s comment wasn’t offensive… but if it had been uttered by Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, or Sarah Palin… the MFM would have demanded their heads!

The statement wasn’t offensive, the double standard is offensive.

Comment by V the K — July 29, 2010 @ 5:42 pm - July 29, 2010

14. Obama on the View:

“Part of what I realized was that if the world saw me as African-American, then that wasn’t something that I needed to run away from. That’s something that I could go ahead and embrace. And the interesting thing about the African American experience in this country is that we are sort of a mongrel people. I mean, we’re all kind of mixed up. Now, that’s actually true for white America as well but we just know more about it. And so I’m less interested in how we label ourselves and more interested in how we treat each other. And if we’re treating each other right, then I can be African American, I can be multi-racial, I can be—you name it. What matters is, am I showing people respect. Am I caring for other people. That’s, I think, the message that we want to send.”

Comment by rusty — July 29, 2010 @ 6:18 pm - July 29, 2010

15. on Sherrod: Obama on The View

They also pressed the president about race relations and the recent episode regarding Shirley Sherrod, the U.S. Department of Agriculture official who was fired after a conservative website took a speech she gave about race out of context.

“What I do think happened in that situation is that a 24/7 media cycle that is always looking for controversy and oftentimes doesn’t get to the facts first generated a phony controversy,” Obama said. “A lot of people overreacted, including people in my administration. And part of the lesson that I want everyone to draw is, let’s not assume the worst of other people but let’s assume the best. Let’s make sure we get the facts straight before we act.”

Comment by rusty — July 29, 2010 @ 6:23 pm - July 29, 2010

16. Sorry apologists. Know your US history. The word “mongrel” is TOXIC stuff. The President is a race-baiter.

Comment by GayPatriot — July 29, 2010 @ 6:29 pm - July 29, 2010

17. OMG–MONGREL? Really? Can we go back to calling them pickaninnies now? or darkies?

Call “them” whatever blows your skirt up, Ashpenaz. Kindly do not smut up this place with your idea of humor. A little integrity is not a crushing burden.

Comment by heliotrope — July 29, 2010 @ 6:59 pm - July 29, 2010

18. And part of the lesson that I want everyone to draw is, let’s not assume the worst of other people but let’s assume the best. Let’s make sure we get the facts straight before we act.”

Unless it has to do with Republicans and Conservatives. Then, by all means, damn the facts and full steam ahead.

Case in point: The blonde moron Debbie Wasserman-Schultz (Duh, FL) trying to lead the charge that the RNC and TEA Partiers are one and the same.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — July 29, 2010 @ 7:13 pm - July 29, 2010

19. OT: You made it to Tarranto’s Best of the Web.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — July 29, 2010 @ 7:19 pm - July 29, 2010

20. a mongrel people…..
    I’ve never looked at people and said hey they are black or they are hispanic and so and so…..
    This comment by Obama is horrific.
    It makes my stomach turn.
    I don’t get it. Why utter such things.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — July 29, 2010 @ 7:48 pm - July 29, 2010

21. A lot of liberals didn’t want Obama to appear on the VIEW thinking it was beneath the Presidency.
    It wasn’t beneath the Obama Presidency.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — July 29, 2010 @ 7:50 pm - July 29, 2010

22. Let’s see. Collins English Dictionary:

mongrel [ˈmʌŋgrəl]
    n
    1. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Breeds) a plant or animal, esp a dog, of mixed or unknown breeding; a crossbreed or hybrid
    2. (Social Science / Peoples) Derogatory a person of mixed race

Emphasis mine

Noun 1. mongrel – derogatory term for a variation that is not genuine; something irregular or inferior or of dubious origin;

“the architecture was a kind of bastard suggesting Gothic but not true Gothic”

bastard

variation – an artifact that deviates from a norm or standard;

“he patented a variation on the sandal”

2. mongrelmongrel – an inferior dog or one of mixed breed

cur, mutt

Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2008 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

But then the liberals have no problem with the word Negro either.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — July 29, 2010 @ 7:51 pm - July 29, 2010

23. Hey, Heliotrope, can we call “them” what they call “us?” Since the mongrel voters of California and the mongrel governments of Nigeria and Uganda have grouped us together without distinction, I thought it was OK.

Comment by Ashpenaz — July 29, 2010 @ 7:53 pm - July 29, 2010

24. [...] Bruce at GayPatriot reminds us of the use of “mongrel” in perhaps the most inflammatory movie in US [...]

Pingback by Say it after me: “If Bush had said this…” « Public Secrets — July 29, 2010 @ 8:11 pm - July 29, 2010

25. [...] Comments GayPatriot on Say it after me: “If Bush had said this…”Kate on 15 minutes of fame extended: [...]

Pingback by Say it after me: “If Bush had said this…” « Sister Toldjah — July 29, 2010 @ 8:12 pm - July 29, 2010

26. GayPatriot could care less about minorities or really try to understand what Obama said, this is just another reason to hysterically attack this President and Democrats in general.

Comment by David — July 29, 2010 @ 8:13 pm - July 29, 2010

27. [...] And as my response to stupid comments from people like David. [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » **BUMPED UP** Runaway Slave — Movie Teaser — July 29, 2010 @ 8:21 pm - July 29, 2010

28. GayPatriot could care less about minorities or really try to understand what Obama said, this is just another reason to hysterically attack this President and Democrats in general.

And therein we see why Obama says such stupid things; since day one he has been surrounded with a bunch of racist syncophants like David who have convinced themselves that it is racist for them to judge a black man by his character and actions rather than giving him a pass because of the color of his skin.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — July 29, 2010 @ 8:26 pm - July 29, 2010

29. Sorry, Ashpenaz, I guess I mistook you for a Christian.

I have been called many degrading things, but I never saw that as license to respond in kind. Sometimes my frustration gets the better of me and I fail to keep the Golden Rule. But I do not allow the immediate community to lower my standards of right and wrong.

Comment by heliotrope — July 29, 2010 @ 8:43 pm - July 29, 2010

30. This “mongel people” slur is an amazing view into the Obama character.

I can list all manner of ethnic heritage in my blood, but I never once thought of myself in terms of how far off the pure bred standard I might be.

There is no pure bred anyone, I suspect. Sure, there may be an aborigine that can pretty well trace himself and his kith and kin right back to Levi’s ape ancestor, but that is not relevant in the USA.

In the same way Obama wants the world to know that America is not so great, it now is clear that he also sees our melting pot as the incubator for junk yard dogs and alley cats.

Has Obama no sense of pride for his country whatsoever? Is being a mongrel part of his fundamental transformation revolution? It occurs to me that Mao did a pretty good job of grinding his people into the dirt and treating them like dirt and making them believe they were dirt. Maybe it is a Messiah of the Dark sort of thing.

Comment by heliotrope — July 29, 2010 @ 8:54 pm - July 29, 2010

31. [...] to Obama’s mongrelization of [...]

Pingback by Obama Calls Black People a “Mixed Up” Bunch of “Mongrels” | NewsReal Blog — July 29, 2010 @ 9:00 pm - July 29, 2010

32. The right-wingers care two groups, white Christian men and large corporations.

It’s a joke to think that right-wingers care about minorities.

Call me a troll, I don’t care it’s just a fact and everyone knows it except for right-wingers who pretend that they are inclusive when they aren’t.

Comment by David — July 29, 2010 @ 9:51 pm - July 29, 2010

33. David — Name the political figure that received the most corporate money from an oil company called BP?

Name the political party of the Members of Congress who are the most wealthy.

I’m waiting….

Comment by GayPatriot — July 29, 2010 @ 9:58 pm - July 29, 2010

34. The Republican party is inclusive all right, as long as that minority person holds the values of white Christian men and the interests of large corporations.

Others need not apply.

“Influence of the energy lobby in the United States”

In the 2006 election cycle, oil and gas companies contributed over $19 million to political campaigns. 82% of that money went to Republican candidates, while the remaining 18% went to Democrats.

Electric utilities also heavily favor Republicans; their contributions have recently ranged between $15-20 million.[3][4] From 2003-2006, the energy lobby also contributed $58.3 million to state-level campaigns. By comparison, alternative energy interests contributed around half a million dollars in the same time period. [5]

Comment by David — July 29, 2010 @ 10:05 pm - July 29, 2010

35. What a total farce.

The only time the GOBP is concerned about dirty oil money, race, the environment etc. is if it can be used as a blunt stick, political weapon against Democrats, that’s about it.

I can’t wait to read that post.

Comment by David — July 29, 2010 @ 10:16 pm - July 29, 2010

36. Just for the record, I didn’t call Heliotrope anything. I am making a point about how the term “mongrel” might be offensive to a group who seems to have no problem calling another group by other offensive names.

I find the term “mongrel” highly offensive–as offensive as darkie or pickaninny, which was the point of my earlier post.

Comment by Ashpenaz — July 29, 2010 @ 11:05 pm - July 29, 2010

37. The right-wingers care two groups, white Christian men and large corporations.

You’re right. I’ll go vote for the folks who freely use mongrel, negro and nigger all the while lionizing a Klansman.

I agree, it is a fucking farce and you have no qualms supporting the hatred, bigotry, anti-Semitism, homophobia, sexism etc. Nasty little cuss.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — July 29, 2010 @ 11:06 pm - July 29, 2010

38. The Republican party is inclusive all right, as long as that minority person holds the values of white Christian men and the interests of large corporations.

And what are those “values” and “interests”, David?

Come now. I want you to finish this thought. Tell us what those values and interests are so that you can demonstrate just how racist you are when you state that skin color and minority status should determine one’s beliefs and interests.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — July 29, 2010 @ 11:54 pm - July 29, 2010

39. Btw, since it’s your blog, please provide in a link where you’ve ever complained about the Republican party being in the pocket of Big Oil, thanks!

I see David exhibits the typical intellectual firepower of an Obama Party member — which is to say the equivalent of a wet cap pistol.

BP and its employees have given more than $3.5 million to federal candidates over the past 20 years, with the largest chunk of their money going to Obama, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Donations come from a mix of employees and the company’s political action committees — $2.89 million flowed to campaigns from BP-related PACs and about $638,000 came from individuals…..

During his time in the Senate and while running for president, Obama received a total of $77,051 from the oil giant and is the top recipient of BP PAC and individual money over the past 20 years, according to financial disclosure records.

So you can attack Obama with your hate rhetoric about being in the pocket of the oil companies, David, or you can demonstrate what a complete and total hypocrite you are.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — July 30, 2010 @ 12:01 am - July 30, 2010

40. Talk of Impeachment…

I found your entry interesting do I’ve added a Trackback to it on my weblog :)…

Trackback by The Moral Liberal — July 30, 2010 @ 2:26 am - July 30, 2010

41. Oh, now you “conservatives” care about the influence of Big Oil on politicians?

Were was your concern abut the influence of Big Oil and Big Utilities on Bush and Cheney?

Cheney met with Big Oil, Big Utilities executives in a 2001
    closed door meeting to establish America’s energy policy.

Were was the right-wing outrage?

That’s right, you have no concern’s as long as it’s Republicans in the pocket of big oil or doing racist, sexist, homophobic things, it’s all good.

And as far as using yours and Sean Hannity’s perennial favorite racist big stick, Robert Byrd , how long do you plan on to milking his rotting dead corpse as proof of “Democratic racism”?

Yeah he was a racist, good riddance to bad rubbish.

As was former Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott (R), didn’t he say the United States would have “avoided all these problems” if then-segregationist Strom Thurmond had been elected president in 1948?

Strom Thurmond, racist became a member of the Republican party for good reason.

How about former aide to ex-Vice President Dick Cheney, Sherri Goforth emailing a racist photo to colleagues?

How about South Carolina GOP activist and former chairman of the state elections commission Rusty DePass saying a gorilla that escaped from a zoo was an “ancestor” of Michelle Obama?

Again the ONLY time the right-wing is concerned about race, oil/special interest money, the environment etc. is if it can be used as a political weapon against Democrats, other than that there is absolutely ZERO concern.

Comment by David — July 30, 2010 @ 3:07 am - July 30, 2010

42. But the “Mutt” speech was one of the best parts of Stripes.!!

David confuses us pointing out that BP (A foreign controlled corporation btw, that without this stupid law falsely called “Disclosure” still cannot legally donate to a candidate) gave more money to Obama than other candidates (and not as a corp. it was through Execs who could legally donate) and the hypocrisy of that for “concern”.
    Enron…You do realize that again, Dems got more from the execs there than the other parties? Also, even if it had been fully deregulated, the bookkeeping Enron did would still be ILLEGAL (and one of it’s top “Bookkeepers” is now a big wig Dem Econ whonk).

Comment by JP — July 30, 2010 @ 3:38 am - July 30, 2010

43. Byrd…KKK…used the “N Word” on the floor in 2003….
    all those Civil Rights bills the dems lay claim to on their platform? Well, the dems filibustered them, and it was REPUBLICANS (the party formed to oppose Slavery) working with the few in the majority party and the President to kill the filibuster. The Party heads were against the bills. So the claim they have always fought for the rights of minorities is the real outright and complete lie.
    They proved it when they praised Byrd at his funeral.

What the party has done is modify it’s position due to the infiltration of the part by Socialists. basically they’ve moved from enslaving the brown folks to enslaving us all (those who work by taking ours to give to those who don’t, and enslaving them by keeping policy in place to keep them “on the plantation” by chaining them to the government teat.

Comment by JP — July 30, 2010 @ 3:50 am - July 30, 2010

44. Bush lovingly called Ken Lay, CEO and chairman of Enron “Kenny Boy” and Bush pushed energy deregulation to benefit Enron, remember?

Nope. Exactly which deregulation was that? They filed for bankruptcy in 2001, so what was the deregulation and how did it “benefit” them? Further, after Enron, we got SarbOx which was…drumroll…more regulation. Not to mention the Bush Administration outspent any other president on regulation, so I await your reply.

Remember Ken Lay going to visit Clinton at the WH on multiple occasions? How many times did they play golf together? Remember Gov. Gray-out Davis running errands for Enron even traveling to Europe? Or do you just have a selective memory?

Cheney met with Big Oil, Big Utilities executives in a 2001
    closed door meeting to establish America’s energy policy.

Were was the right-wing outrage?

Outrage of what? Outrage because he didn’t consult with Avon, Roto-Rooter or Stanley Steamer on energy matters? Where’s the left-wing outrage that Chairman Obama has closed door meetings with policy advisers? It doesn’t exist.

or doing racist, sexist, homophobic things, it’s all good.

Such as….?

Didn’t Chris “Countrywide” Dodd say that Byrd would have been a great president at any point in history? He did and nobody cared. Hypocrisy, I’d say.

How about Rev. Jesse “Hymietwon” Jackson?

How about Dan “They got the buckwheats” Rather?

How about Mike “too busy eating watermelons and tacos” Wallace?

“I’ll have those niggers voting Democratic for the next 200 years.” – LBJ

“I will not let the white boys win in this election.” – Donna Brazille

“The old white boys got taken fair and square.” – Mayor Willie Brown

“A few years ago this guy would have been getting us coffee.” – Bill Clinton

“You cannot go to a 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian Accent.” – Joe Bigot

Mahatma Gandhi “ran a gas station down in Saint Louis.” – Hillary Clinton

“maricón” – Bill Richardson

“I’m not comfortable around those people,” – John Edwards

“little fruitcake” – Pete Starke

Comment by ThatGayConservative — July 30, 2010 @ 6:44 am - July 30, 2010

45. [...] only have conservative bloggers like Melissa Clouthier, GayPatriot, Tammy Bruce, Doug Powers, Doug Ross, BlogProf, Basil, and LaShawn Barber jumping on the story but [...]

Pingback by Obama: African-Americans ‘Mongrel People’ (Other Americans Too!) — July 30, 2010 @ 9:07 am - July 30, 2010

46. David,

Do you you have any workable idea of how to provide energy without consolidation, long distance transmission and energy giants?

What is the liberal answer to these questions?

I suppose that if “big oil” were “in the pocket” of the Democrats you would be just as exercised. So, what is to be done with “big oil” and the “greedy” political party that takes their money?

Please be specific. I know you have sorted all this out and you are not just ranting to hear yourself rant.

Comment by heliotrope — July 30, 2010 @ 10:00 am - July 30, 2010

47. Oh, now you “conservatives” care about the influence of Big Oil on politicians?

And of course you chose the hypocrite route.

Since you clearly don’t care about the influence of “Big Oil” on Barack Obama, David, what you’re doing is simply demonstrating the set of racist double standards that Obama puppets like yourself practice.

Poor pathetic child. No wonder liberal gays like yourself need welfare. No business would hire a liar and hypocrite such as yourself who attacks other people for doing things that he himself does and supports.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — July 30, 2010 @ 11:20 am - July 30, 2010

48. Are you opposed to cheap energy? Are you opposed to energy independence? Are you opposed to an efficient energy infrastructure? Do you favor an economic system in which the cost of energy is not the driving factor?

Given that from 2000-2008 the oil and gas industry spent $58 billion, while the government spent $19 billion, on cleaner fuel technology, I’d have to conclude that David is opposed to all that and more.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — July 30, 2010 @ 12:57 pm - July 30, 2010

49. [...] on “The View” of African-Americans as a “mongrel people” has set the blogosphere aflutter, it was something else he told the assembled ladies that struck me as more significant. [...]

Pingback by Arizona’s Law, Activist Judges and Anchor Babies - Opinionator Blog - NYTimes.com — July 30, 2010 @ 7:34 pm - July 30, 2010

50. Sorry, but I simply don’t share the outrage, here.
    Not a bit. I’m not offended by this and frequently say things like this myself.
    To me, that’s no different than one of my cousins trying to say the word picnic is racist because it had some obscure, ugly meaning at one time in the past.
    Nope. Doesn’t bother me a bit.

Comment by Bobbie — July 30, 2010 @ 8:27 pm - July 30, 2010

51. [...] odd characterization on “The View” of African-Americans as a “mongrel people” has set the blogosphere aflutter, it was something else he told the assembled ladies that struck me as more significant. [...]

Pingback by Arizona’s Law, Activist Judges, Anchor Babies (a very good review of varying opinions) « Immigration Litigation — July 30, 2010 @ 9:21 pm - July 30, 2010

52. The fact that you can pull something derogatory from the last century regarding his use of this term, doesn’t change the fact that it’s lost the meaning it may have had during the last century.

I see. So pickaninny, mammy, or jigaboo should be no big deal, right? Good to know.

What are libs gonna do when “raaaaacist” loses all meaning?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — July 31, 2010 @ 2:09 am - July 31, 2010

53. So, O’Drama goes on “The Phew” and says we are all just common sluts and the world goes ballistic. We all know what he meant and we all know he is right. Maybe he intended to say common mutts, but who cares??? Picky, picky, picky.

It is not the word that counts, its the intention behind the word. And the liberals are the only people who have evolved enough to understand the feelings and the nuance and inner meaning of what brilliant, sensitive people say without their teleprompters.

Comment by heliotrope — July 31, 2010 @ 8:06 am - July 31, 2010

54. As we’ve seen again and again, Liberals will say what’s in their hearts, then lie that they ever said it. The final step is to admit they said it, and then say it’s no big deal.

Comment by The_Livewire — July 31, 2010 @ 11:03 pm - July 31, 2010

55. I honestly do not understand the outrage here.

A few questions:
    1) what do you honestly think Obama meant to say here?
    2) how is calling his own race “mongrels” racist?
    3) with all the extremely fucked up things going on in this world, and with this country, why are you getting bent out of shape by this dumb comment?

Comment by spooked — August 1, 2010 @ 8:52 am - August 1, 2010

56. mixed in origin or character: of mixed breed, descent, type, or character

[15th century. Probably < Germanic, "to mix"]

Comment by Dag Narble — August 1, 2010 @ 10:10 am - August 1, 2010

57. “I see. So pickaninny, mammy, or jigaboo should be no big deal, right?”

I don’t believe I said that.
    My point was that the word mongrel doesn’t mean anything anymore. Other words may still be racially charged, but not mongrel. Imntbho. :)

‘What are libs gonna do when “raaaaacist” loses all meaning?”

I think they’ll soon find out since we’re getting to that point, I think.

Comment by Bobbie — August 1, 2010 @ 10:23 am - August 1, 2010

58. There’s something I’ve come to understand here. there are some people who will never believe that Obama knows what he is doing. They will sit down and condemn everything he does, will even refuse to give him credit for his efforts. Obama and his team of advisors incompetent? You guys are forgetting too quickly who made the mess Obama and his team are trying to clean up.

As for racism, it is clear that Most Americans are yet to come to terms that they are being ruled by a black man. Whether you believe this or not is irrelevant at this time. We all know the truth.

Comment by Dr Joy from attract men — August 1, 2010 @ 4:25 pm - August 1, 2010

59. “Mongrel” could only be considered derogatory by those who think that being of mixed ancestry is somehow bad.

Comment by Boronx — August 1, 2010 @ 10:29 pm - August 1, 2010

60. Oh my, it looks like there has been an invasion of “little” people on this blog. The meaning of “little” can be interpreted in a number of ways, and that includes references to brains or lack thereof, since these people exhibit that they have no more than 1/4 of the average brain, right down to stature and the size of one’s penis. Take your pick.

No matter what these Øbot trolls try to say, they are wrong because the use of the term “mongrel” to describe anyone – black, white, Asian, pink, red, purple and green…. it is still a very racist term.

A majority of us are of mixed “race”. If I define race according to one’s country of origin and not of skin, then I am: Australian mixed with English, Scots, Irish and German.

The English are described as Anglo-Saxon. How many of these poor little Øbots know the meaning of Anglo-Saxon? Well here is a little lesson that might penetrate into that small space they call a brain:

Anglo: from the race known as the Angles.
    Saxon: from Saxony in the region known as Germany.

Now in my case, that really means that I have a double does of that Saxon blood – from my English ancestry as well as from my ancestor who came from Saxony. From this same ancestry I am of course descended from the Celts (probably on both Scot and Irish sides of my family).

Does this make me a “mongrel”? NO

The term mongrel as it was used is a reference to mixed colour. It is an extraordinarily racist term. As for Øbama using that term not being racist, I would like to remind the Øbots that Mr. Soetoro aka Øbama is not an African-American as it is normally understood. His alleged father is from Kenya. There is no such country as Africa. The country is Kenya. His alleged mother was an American citizen. The citizenship of Barry Soetor aka Øbama is in fact British, due to his Kenyan father.

Comment by Straight Aussie — August 1, 2010 @ 10:47 pm - August 1, 2010

61. @58 You are wrong. America has never been ruled by any President.

You are wrong because Barry Soetoro aka Øbama is not a “black man”. Barry Soetoro aka Øbama is half white….. get over it….

Comment by Straight Aussie — August 1, 2010 @ 10:49 pm - August 1, 2010

62. [...] odd characterization on “The View” of African-Americans as a “mongrel people” has set the blogosphere aflutter, it was something else he told the assembled ladies that struck me as more significant. [...]

Pingback by Hot Air » Obamateurism of the Day — August 2, 2010 @ 8:06 am - August 2, 2010

63. Still waiting on an answer to ‘What if GWB had said this’……

Comment by boot — August 2, 2010 @ 8:24 am - August 2, 2010