GOProud Announces Ann Coulter to Headline Homocon 2010 in New York City

(Washington, D.C.) – Today, GOProud, the only national organization representing gay conservatives and their allies, announced that conservative author Ann Coulter is headlining their first annual Homocon – a party to celebrate gay conservatives.

“The gay left has done their best to take all the fun out of politics, with their endless list of boycotts and protests. Homocon is going to be our annual effort to counter the ‘no fun police’ on the left,” said Christopher Barron, Chairman of the Board of GOProud. “I can’t think of any conservative more fun to headline our inaugural party then the self-professed ‘right-wing Judy Garland’ – Ann Coulter.”

Ann Coulter is the author of seven New York Times bestsellers —Guilty: Liberal Victims and Their Assault on America (January 2009); If Democrats Had Any Brains, They’d Be Republicans (October, 2007); Godless: The Church of Liberalism (June 2006); How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must)(October, 2004); Treason: Liberal Treachery From the Cold War to the War on Terrorism (June 2003); Slander: Liberal Lies About the American Right (June 2002); and High Crimes and Misdemeanors: The Case Against Bill Clinton (August 1998).

Homocon 2010 will take place in New York City on the evening of Saturday September 25th. VIP Sponsorships are available for $2500 and general admission tickets go on sale August 20th. To purchase tickets or for more information: www.goproud.org.

“I can promise you, Homocon 2010 will be a hell of a lot more fun than chaining yourself to the White House fence,” concluded Barron.

More details are coming soon! Please contact Jimmy LaSalvia at jlasalvia@goproud.org for information about sponsorship opportunities.

General reception tickets ($250) go on sale August 20th. Visit www.goproud.org for more information.

©2010 GOProud | 426 C Street NE | Washington DC | 20002 | (202) 543-1003 | www.goproud.org

1. I can’t wait!!!!

Comment by Brendan in Philly — August 6, 2010 @ 10:42 am - August 6, 2010

2. I truly admire her for doing this. Only Nixon could go to China–only Coulter can go to Homocon.

Comment by Ashpenaz — August 6, 2010 @ 11:10 am - August 6, 2010

3. I admire Ann and I usually agree with most of what she says. However, I object to naming the party Homocon. Why not Gaycon?

Comment by Roberto — August 6, 2010 @ 11:17 am - August 6, 2010

4. Odd how GOProud seems to attract (straight) support from a number of mainstream GOP figures where LCR never seemed able to connect.

A willingness to make common-cause with the GOP…rather than with the HRC and Gay, Inc.?

Comment by Ted B. — August 6, 2010 @ 11:49 am - August 6, 2010

5. I am going to this shindig for three reasons. I love her snarky humor, I haven’t been to NY in years and this will really, really piss off my liberal “tolerant” friends.

Comment by zgary — August 6, 2010 @ 11:58 am - August 6, 2010

6. Am I considered “intolerant” if, as a straight guy, I giggle when I hear “homocon”?

Comment by Nick — August 6, 2010 @ 12:11 pm - August 6, 2010

7. Nick, no, because we have a sense of humor too. :-)

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — August 6, 2010 @ 12:16 pm - August 6, 2010

8. Shouldn’t it really be “HomoconCon”?

Comment by Brendan in Philly — August 6, 2010 @ 12:31 pm - August 6, 2010

9. Nah, because someone would misread it as HomocanCan and we don’t need more dancing sterotypes. ;-)

Comment by The_Livewire — August 6, 2010 @ 12:34 pm - August 6, 2010

10. Shouldn’t it have an exclamation point?

Homocon! The Convention

Comment by Ashpenaz — August 6, 2010 @ 1:11 pm - August 6, 2010

11. I’d go if it were in DC and not NYC.

Comment by V the K — August 6, 2010 @ 3:14 pm - August 6, 2010

12. I’d go if it were in Orlando.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — August 6, 2010 @ 3:28 pm - August 6, 2010

13. I knew Ann Coulter was a fag hag…

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — August 6, 2010 @ 3:52 pm - August 6, 2010

14. [...] GayPatriot; GOProud Announces Ann Coulter to Headline Homocon 2010 in New York City For Immediate Release [...]

Pingback by Ann Coulter and conservative gays cause leftist heads to explode in 3, 2, 1… « A TowDog — August 6, 2010 @ 4:34 pm - August 6, 2010

15. Is this a group of self hating Gays?
    This woman is horribly homophobic,

Comment by tom — August 6, 2010 @ 4:57 pm - August 6, 2010

16. Ok coming from San Francisco, the image I get when I Hear Homocon involves a lot of leather, old guys with beer guts and no shirts and anorexic stick boys wearing wings and no shirts….

Actually that image just gave me a case of the *jibbilies*

Despite the peculiar name (IMO) Glad to see People standing up to not only fight the Stereotypes of what conservatism is all about and who it represents, but also standing up against the hate.

Good luck with the event.

Comment by Stone K — August 6, 2010 @ 4:57 pm - August 6, 2010

17. tom, please provide your evidence that Ann Coulter hates sameness, ’cause that’s what homophobic (by its etymology) means.

Oh, you mean, anti-gay. Ok, provide the evidence, thank!

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — August 6, 2010 @ 5:01 pm - August 6, 2010

18. I guess by calling John Edwards a faggot – Bill Clinton a homosexual and Al Gore a fag hag was to shine a positive light on the gay community.
    I am sure that the folks who listen to her understand that that is all good humor.
    As a gay man it amazes me that you can not find a conservative pundit that has actually tried to help our community.

Comment by tom — August 6, 2010 @ 5:14 pm - August 6, 2010

19. Well, tom, as someone who has met Ann Coulter, I found her anything but anti-gay. After she spoke at David Horowitz’s birthday celebration, I invited her to join me and another gay friend for drinks, telling her that the gay men there wanted to treat her to a round of cocktails.

Her face practically lit up at the invitation. And she delighted in our company.

That said, I agree she’s said some loopy things from time to time (likely as you said in good humor, but also to get attention). Still, she does seem to enjoy the company of gay people.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — August 6, 2010 @ 5:20 pm - August 6, 2010

20. I am glad to hear that- However , as unfortunate as it may be the gay community in the US is still not accepted.She is a respected woman for many conservatives and these statements only hurt us.
    Glad to hear your insight .Enjoy your weekend

Comment by tom — August 6, 2010 @ 5:36 pm - August 6, 2010

21. Thanks, tom, and I appreciate your willingness both to back up your attack and to take my anecdote to heart.

I agree that some of her statements hurt us. I mean, we don’t want to Americans to equate people with John Edwards, do we? :-)

You too, have a great weekend!

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — August 6, 2010 @ 5:46 pm - August 6, 2010

22. As you can tell we are opposite ends of the political world but I do enjoy others views and thanks for you quick replies.
    Take care

Comment by tom — August 6, 2010 @ 5:49 pm - August 6, 2010

23. tom, comment here more often. do appreciate having our “ideological adversaries” engage us, responding to our points and respecting our opinions.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — August 6, 2010 @ 5:57 pm - August 6, 2010

24. Ted B. when Log Cabin began we did attract some straight main stream support. State Senator Ken Maddy, former L.A. Police Chief as State Senator Ed Davis, William Orozco, Chairman of the County Central Committee, and Tirso Del Junco, State chairman, who advise¨d, ïf you want your issues heard you need to get your members elected to the County Committee. We had one; I became the second. I was also appointed to the State Committee-

Comment by Roberto — August 6, 2010 @ 7:09 pm - August 6, 2010

25. We know that big government doesn´t work; it´s possible that big clubs don´t either.

I like the sound of that!

Comment by Bruce (GayPatriot) — August 6, 2010 @ 7:24 pm - August 6, 2010

26. [...] GayPatriot; GOProud Announces Ann Coulter to Headline Homocon 2010 in New York City For Immediate Release [...]

Pingback by Ann Coulter and conservative gays cause leftist heads to explode in 3, 2, 1… | RedState — August 6, 2010 @ 7:53 pm - August 6, 2010

27. Well the poster certainly looks homo.

Comment by darkeyedresolve — August 6, 2010 @ 8:28 pm - August 6, 2010

28. Darkeyed, great minds. :-)

What I thought when I first laid eyes on it.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — August 6, 2010 @ 8:38 pm - August 6, 2010

29. Homocon! I love it!!

Comment by Bobbie — August 6, 2010 @ 8:45 pm - August 6, 2010

30. OMG. I cannot miss this. Meeting Ann has at the top of my bucket list for about 5-6 years (she’s rarely seems to be on the West Coast!) I’m already thinking we should do something unprecedented and outrageous in Ann’s honor, like stage an incident that will serve as the antidote to that shameful night in Canada when those snot-nosed, dim-witted college “students” acted like raving savages so they could get her speaking engagement shut down. I guess the “opposite” of that would have to be… hmmmm…let me think…YES:

Once Ann is safely inside the venue, instead of shouting her down like Canadian welfare addicts on freebase, we barricade all of the doors and sit in rapt attention and pin-drop silence while she delivers a brilliant and thought-provoking speech. (First of several teary-eyed standing-Os.) Then dinner. Then drinks. Then more drinks. Then, a ciggie break for Ann (don’t you judge her). Then, we refuse to let Ann leave, forcing her to give the same speech again, yet this time in song set to various Sondheim and Schwartz instrumentals, all of us agreeing that it was even more brilliant and moving the second time around. More standing-Os. (A video of Ann’s performance will be submitted to the American Theatre Wing for Tony consideration and collateral head explosions among insufferable Broadway elite.)

Then, more drinks. Then, we insist that she read aloud all seven of her books in sequence, unabridged (drinks and ciggie break somewhere mid-Godless). Then, we all get in our jammies (Ann too) and watch the season premiere of Glee. (During the show, I lovingly brush Ann’s hair while the rest of you haters stare daggers of bitter envy at my back. I ignore this, as does my new BFF Ann.) Then, karaoke time! Me and Ann kick things off with Don’t Go Breakin’ My Heart. (More daggers of envy from you jealous haters.) Nightcaps and intimate chit-chat. Then, several of you carry Ann and I back to her hotel on a suitably ornate, but tasteful sedan chair (Ann and I would prefer a route through the park, duh. You people comply.) At her hotel, Ann and I say our tearful goodbyes, make super-definite plans to meet up for skiing in Aspen say,…mid-March, and then hug for 30 minutes straight. (Again, the daggers.)

Anyway, that’s just off the top of my head. I realize it’s a lot to squeeze in, but IT’S ANN. You know…ANN. We (and by “we,” I mean all of you) need to pitch in and make it a special, unforgettable night for Ann (and by “Ann,” I mean me and Ann).

Comment by Sean A — August 6, 2010 @ 9:01 pm - August 6, 2010

31. Later, Sean A drags Ann Coulter back to his remote Colorado cabin, hobbles her, and forces her to write books for his gratification.

Comment by V the K — August 6, 2010 @ 10:41 pm - August 6, 2010

32. I guess by calling John Edwards a faggot

She didn’t. The funniest part about that is the nellies who got bent out of shape over her comment and told you she did merely proved the point she was making.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — August 6, 2010 @ 10:52 pm - August 6, 2010

33. In related stories, Sarah Palin will deliver the keynote address at this year’s Sierra Club symposium, Dick Cheney will chair the annual Amnesty International fundraiser, and Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh will co-host a television special dealing with “Bigotry against ethnic minorities in today’s society” on the BET cable network.

Comment by labman57 — August 6, 2010 @ 11:09 pm - August 6, 2010

34. #31: Well, V the K, I AM…her number one fan. How long do you think she’ll believe that we can’t leave my San Diego apartment because the roads are covered with snow and the phones are down?

Comment by Sean A — August 6, 2010 @ 11:52 pm - August 6, 2010

35. [...] with interest Nov. 2.UPDATE: Dan Riehl calls attention to the news that Ann Coulter will address an event being billed as “Homocon.” NTTAWWT. var addthis_append_data='false';var addthis_language='en';var addthis_options='twitter, [...]

Pingback by Marriage of Convenience? No, Rosie O’Donnell Had a Marriage of Vengeance : The Other McCain — August 7, 2010 @ 2:59 pm - August 7, 2010

36. Wheee!

Had I the money, I’d have made reservations already. I have 3 goals (well, many more than 3, but 3 related goals):

1) Appear on Red Eye
    2) (Re)meet Glenn Beck
    3) Have drinks with Ann Coulter

I love the idea of Homocon. (Indeed, I wrote about a nasty, Seattle liberal “tolerant” view of the event.) I love GOProud. And, I love Ann Coulter. This convention is epic WIN.

(And, by headlining this event, Coulter IS helping our community.)

Comment by Chris Barnhart — August 7, 2010 @ 3:41 pm - August 7, 2010

37. Last night Craig Ferguson mentioned the event (not by name) rather he mentioned There was going to be an event for Gay Conservatives and Ann Coulter was going to be there. The only joke he made of it was when he asked for a picture of Ann Coulter they put up a picture of Tom Petty.

Comment by Stone K — August 7, 2010 @ 6:23 pm - August 7, 2010

38. A lot of folks, including some of her fans, don’t understand Coulter’s schtick. She’s a provocateur. She says some flat-out irresponsible things. This means dancing on the line of what is/isn’t polite. I would never vote for her. But last I checked, she’s not running for office.

I’d be shocked if she went Fred Phelps on us. And if they’re honest, I think her harshest critics would be shocked, too.

I still expect to be surprised, though. It is Ann!

Comment by Steve-O — August 8, 2010 @ 1:05 am - August 8, 2010

39. PS-embracing Coulter was sort of a ballsy move on GOProud’s part. Nice job, guys.

Comment by Steve-O — August 8, 2010 @ 1:08 am - August 8, 2010

40. Sounds really cool. Wish I could afford it.

Comment by American Elephant — August 8, 2010 @ 1:17 am - August 8, 2010

41. [...] Announces Ann Coulter to Headline Homoco 2010 in New York [...]

Pingback by A growing chorus of “minority” Republicans are finding their voice | Liberty Pundits Blog — August 11, 2010 @ 4:44 pm - August 11, 2010

42. [...] Announces Ann Coulter to Headline Homoco 2010 in New York [...]

Pingback by A growing chorus of “minority” Republicans are finding their voice « Cloven Not Crested — August 11, 2010 @ 8:07 pm - August 11, 2010

43. Knowing Ann (at least from her writings), she will probably mention the Edwards anecdote and apologize in some characteristically outrageous way that you all will find hysterical and that blasts Edwards all the more. That’d be my guess.

“Rank & File™” conservatives are naturally a bit suspicious of the conservative gay movement. If more of them read this blog and understood the depths to which gay conservatives hold their political convictions, that would ease up. The Coulter appearance at HomoCon will likely have a similar effect.

National security concerned, federalism loving, Constitutional originalism supporting, libertarian leading gays only chafe the most ardent “social” conservatives. But when all the different elements of conservativism get stirred into the same pot, social conservatives get nervous. Again, the Coulter nod should help build some bridges. There is just too much commonality to dismiss.

Nixon to China, indeed.

Comment by disfrontman — August 12, 2010 @ 2:40 pm - August 12, 2010

44. [...] and from conservative bloggers, some gay lefties got their panties all in a bundle all about Ann Coulter’s coming appearance at Homocon 2010.  Well, turns out at least one of their counterparts on the right is up in [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Methinks Peter LaBarbera Doth Protest Too Much — August 12, 2010 @ 3:28 pm - August 12, 2010

45. Wow love this poster. It’s self effacing for Ann and actually does something good for conservatism, which is unusual for Coulter. Good for her and GOProud.

I’m sure she meant the antiquated definition of the “f” word regarding Breck Girl: “a bundle of sticks”.

Not sure Coulter is worth $250.00 but I’m confident the crowd will be. I’m putting it on my calendar!

Comment by patrick — August 12, 2010 @ 9:34 pm - August 12, 2010

46. Ann Coulter via The Hill, August 18

“I speak to a lot of groups and do not endorse them,” she said. “I speak at Harvard and I certainly don’t endorse their views. I’ve spoken to Democratic groups and liberal Republican groups that loooove abortion. The main thing I do is speak on college campuses, which is about the equivalent of speaking at an al-Qaida conference.”

Haha. She’s so funny. And so supportive of gay conservatives. It’s not like she would speak to just anyone! What an endorsement.

Comment by Zak — August 18, 2010 @ 8:45 pm - August 18, 2010