AFA Boycott Means Better-than-Expected Earnings for Home Depot

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 6:34 pm - August 17, 2010.
Filed under: Freedom

According to the AP, one reason stocks rallied today was earning reports “from Home Depot Inc. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. that were better than expected.”  Better than expected earnings from Home Depot?

Wait, but wasn’t the American Family Association (AFA) trying to boycott the company?  Doesn’t look like that’s working out very well.  Almost as successful as their boycott of Disney.

Guess theirs was a “Doomed Enterprise” after all.

1. Thank goodness it didn’t work out for AFA.

Patriotic Americans need to keep buying at Home Depot.

Comment by Totakikay — August 17, 2010 @ 8:59 pm - August 17, 2010

2. A couple years ago, AFA sponsored a boycott of Ford, too. And Ford was the only U.S. automaker that didn’t need the “bailout.”

Hey, I think we’re on to something to jump start more recovery here!

Comment by Neptune — August 17, 2010 @ 9:30 pm - August 17, 2010

3. I think this is another data point showing the utter weakness of the extreme religious right. Many people (myself included) hold nominally conservative views on social issues (abortion more than GLBT issues), but I think the reach of groups like the AFA is laughable. I know people who are more conservative than I am, but no one I know really listens to what the AFA has to say. I bet if I asked ten random people at my church what the AFA is, no one would answer correctly. As for myself, I wasn’t even aware that the AFA was trying to boycott Home Depot.

Whether they originate from the left or right, boycotts are almost always pathetic in their effectiveness. Boycotts only work when there is passionate righteous indignation on the part of a large majority of Americans, specifically among the part of the population likely to buy from the company being targeted. A good public image is important to companies (which is part of the reason capitalism is better than socialism—governments don’t have to care about pleasing customers), given that a bad public image can hurt market share over time, but boycotts are almost always doomed to fail.

Comment by chad — August 17, 2010 @ 9:40 pm - August 17, 2010

4. Results aren’t the motivation. When the strident socialist right tries a boycott, they know perfectly well that more people will buy from the affected company, not less. Like much of the left, these people are just moral exhibitionists.

Comment by Lark — August 18, 2010 @ 4:53 pm - August 18, 2010

5. Like that expression, Lark, “moral exhibitionists.” I may have to use it in future posts. :-)

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — August 18, 2010 @ 5:29 pm - August 18, 2010