Straight Conservative Blogger to Sponsor Homocon!

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 4:32 pm - August 17, 2010.
Filed under: Blogging,GOProud

In the past few days, John Hawkins of Right Wing News (where I occasionally cross post) was generating a bit of blogosphere buzz.  In a post where he makes an error about Log Cabin (contending they “endorsed John Kerry in 2004” when, in reality, they just acted like they did), he announced that his conservative blog will be

. . . the first sponsor of Homocon. We’re going to be supporting the event, promoting it, and encouraging Republicans in New York to attend. Thanks to GOProud for giving us the opportunity and thanks to Ann Coulter for creating what’s sure to be a memorable event that people will want to attend.

While John wins kudos from gay conservatives, he was also taking some flak from other conservative bloggers for a column he ran, listing the 25 worst Americans of all time.   This was based on a poll he conducted of right-of-center bloggers.  As one such blogger, I regularly receive his e-mails asking me to participate in such surveys.  And not comfortable with the question he asked in that particular poll (for a great variety of reasons), I chose not to respond to it — and not elected not to participate in that poll.

That said, I have participated in other such surveys John has run — and expect to do so again.  He invited me, an openly gay man, to blog on his site and to participate in his polls, always identifying our blog when I do so, thus including a web-site with gay in its name on a list of conservative bloggers.

Taking issue with some of the attacks on John, Ed Morrissey pretty much voices my concerns:

my criticism of John’s list would be that it included too many recent figures, which shows a different kind of contextual failing.  That’s a problem with blogging that Matt and Jim miss in their response; it’s too immediate in most cases for long-term perspective.  When a 49-year-old President comes in second all time in worst figures in American history after only eighteen months as President, it shows a remarkable lack of perspective, and ignores at least the potential for redemption.

This particular survey shows that John suffers from the problems which (sometimes seem to) plague many political bloggers, seeing all things in a contemporary context.  That said, it’s a flaw, not a defining aspect of his blogging.  And we all have our flaws.

While I think he erred in sending out this survey, he, like many right-of-center bloggers, particularly those born in the last third of the twentieth century, has considered the ideas of and reached out to his gay peers.  And that should not go unnoticed.

UPDATE: Now’ that John alerted me to his list of the 20 worst Americans, I’m less skeptical of his enterprise — though I do question some of his commentary.

1. Kudos to John, whom I’ve met.

And as far as the Top 25 Worst Americans of All Time List… I found the names hard to disagree with.

Hey, trolls — look up MARGARET SANGER.

Comment by Bruce (GayPatriot) — August 17, 2010 @ 5:38 pm - August 17, 2010

2. That’s who that guy y’all are friends on facebook with is.

I thought the main flaw with the list was the absence of the worst monster of the 20th century… Frank Stallone.

Comment by V the K — August 17, 2010 @ 7:14 pm - August 17, 2010

3. I think I might go. Especially since the agenda of events was leaked by Sadly, No! Olive Garden is such a favorite.

9:30
    Registration
    Only social parasites expect free Danish pastries, so bring your own food.

10:15
    First Panel
    “How Gay Conservatives Are The Real Victims.”

10:45
    Second Panel

“Why Are Gay Liberals So Obsessed with the Victimization of Gays?”

11:00
    Coffee Break
    Only social parasites expect free coffee. Find a Starbucks.

11:15
    Third Panel

“Why It’s Okay To Bargain Away The Rights of Other Gays for Your Own Tax Cut.”

11:45
    Fourth Panel
    Dating Tips for GOP Homos — Wear Antiperspirant, Brush Your Teeth, Change Your Underwear and Don’t Shout ‘Trust, But Verify’ When Coming.”

12:00 noon
    Lunch
    Find an Olive Garden

2:00
    Fifth Panel

“If You Were In Favor of Gay Marriage, Which Gay Blogger Would You Gay Marry?”

3:00
    Sixth Panel
    “Who Is The Hottest: Lindsey Graham, Our Sole Sponsor John Hawkins, or Mitch McConnell?”

6:00
    Brown Bag Dinner and Keynote Address
    Ann Coulter: “Why Can’t Homos Throw a Baseball without Looking Like a Girl?”

Comment by Countervail — August 17, 2010 @ 8:55 pm - August 17, 2010

4. Well, I guess if dressing up as Ewoks and hissing at Sarah Palin counts as serious intellectual engagement on the left, the foregoing list must be what passes for humor.

Once again, it’s good to be on the right.

Comment by V the K — August 17, 2010 @ 10:45 pm - August 17, 2010

5. I got that the poll was the worst figures in United States history. I did NOT limit my responses to political figures. And I went back to find some bad policital people. One I mentioned is the current so-called baseball commissioner, Bud Selig. The man is on a mission to ruin baseball. And despite it all, baseball still is the National Pastime. But he truly is one of the worst figures in American history. I think John thought I was kidding with that choice. BTW, good for him supporting the group!

Comment by Mark J. Goluskin — August 17, 2010 @ 11:08 pm - August 17, 2010

6. (where I occasionally cross post)

When was this?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — August 18, 2010 @ 2:09 am - August 18, 2010

7. Especially since the agenda of events was leaked by Sadly, No!

Well no wonder you suck ass.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — August 18, 2010 @ 2:10 am - August 18, 2010

8. I think I’ll keep Counterintelligent’s post as an example of ‘why conservative gays shouldn’t even bother with the gay left.’

Rather than complimenting the ‘efforts to reach out to conservatives’ they mock and deride. Why support them?

Comment by The_Livewire — August 18, 2010 @ 9:05 am - August 18, 2010