To be sure, as a public face for the Bush Administration and the GOP, he’s used by now to the bile of the left, so he should be prepared to face their taunts and attacks.  But, I wonder if he’s thinking, “If I could just show them I’m not the demon they believe me to be, maybe then, by golly, they’ll like me, they’ll really like me.”

No, Ken, no, they won’t.  We’ve all thought that.  Or at least most of us on the gay right have.  We’ve all wondered what we could do to end the animosity coming at us from certain segments of the left.  To be sure, some (many, perhaps) gay liberals will surprise you and will treat you with decency and dignity despite disagreeing with you on matters political.

All that said, unless you do a full David Brock, you won’t end the bile coming from the gay left.  And to do the full Brock, you not only have to toe the line on gay issues, but also publicly, prolifically and regularly repudiate the right.

Remember, most straight conservatives won’t treat you any differently once you’ve come out as gay.  We don’t expect ideological rigidity from our allies nor demand social conformity from our friends.

Meanwhile, many gays on the left of the political spectrum are showing no sympathy for Mehlman’s journey and tossing out terms that one reserves for one’s bitterest enemies — and tosses out when throwing a temper tantrum.  They’re not interested in Ken as a person; they just need someone on whom to project their own animosities.

Meanwhile, take a look at just two reactions on the right:

Sister Toldjah:

I’m digressing a bit here, but the overall point is that, in response to Mehlman’s announcement that he’s gay, you’re going to see the “tolerant” left treat him like red meat, which the MSM will dutifully ignore, while the “intolerant” right’s response will be a lot more measured … which the MSM will also dutifully ignore via confining their “the GOP reax” segments to the Pat Robertsons of America who haven’t “spoken” for conservatives in decades.

Peter Wehner:

But my sense is that it’ll be a lot less of a big deal to conservatives than it might be to liberals like (just to choose one name at random) Frank Rich, for whom the political is also the personal. While it’s something that runs counter to the stereotype, most of the conservatives I know are largely to completely indifferent to a person’s sexual orientation.

1. After trolling…there’s not better word for it…through some of the “usual suspects” of the gay blogosphere’s Left, it’s amazing yet sadly predictable the sheer venom, bile and bloodthirsty disdain on-display.

And they call the GOP intolerant??

Comment by Ted B. — August 26, 2010 @ 1:45 pm - August 26, 2010

2. We’ve all wondered what we could do to end the animosity coming at us from certain segments of the left.

I never have. I know the angry, self-loathing, hate-filled gay liberals love being that way and making others just as f**king miserable as they are. That’s the only way they can achieve any modicum of “happiness”.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — August 26, 2010 @ 2:04 pm - August 26, 2010

3. Why don’t we invite him to Homocon? We could pair him up with Ann for a quick rendition of “Money Makes the World Go ‘Round.”

Comment by Ashpenaz — August 26, 2010 @ 2:06 pm - August 26, 2010

4. Didn’t David Brock just switch sugar daddies from Richard Mellon Scaife to George Soros? Why does he have any credibility? Or should I say, why is he permitted the illusion of credibility?

Comment by V the K — August 26, 2010 @ 2:17 pm - August 26, 2010

5. My hope (and prayer) right now for Ken Mehlman is that he can count on his friends and family for the next few days until the hullabaloo about his coming out has passed. It’s never easy to have your private life become public information. BDB

Well I think that Ken Mehlman has spent a fair amount of time preparing for his ‘debut’ and that he does have a close circle of friends and family who were prepped about this disclosure. He didn’t just walk off the farm out of Kansas.

He acknowledge his earlier ‘support’ of Olsen and Boies and continues with the lavish event with a reported $750000 already in prior to the soiree where both Conservatives and Liberals will gather. He will have some bumps and some ‘splaining’ to do. along with his steps in coming out, coupled with his willingness to work to push forward on SSM and possible other GLBT ‘projects / agenda items (just for you oh dainty vivid lavender flower), I for one, truly admire the courage.

Comment by rusty — August 26, 2010 @ 2:20 pm - August 26, 2010

6. My thoughts and prayers are with him. I can’t imagine a more s#it filled destructive environment to come out of the closet in. Not a surprise watching this why more gay conservatives simply stay in the closet.

Comment by Sarjex — August 26, 2010 @ 2:33 pm - August 26, 2010

7. Democrats will not tolerate any minorities leaving the plantation! True to their past, the minute a minority escapes the plantation, libs set the attack dogs and the lynch mobs after them.

I hope Mehlman doesnt pull a Brock either, but his interview came across as repentant and very eager to please, he seems to have embraced the falsehood that he has something to apologize for.

Comment by American Elephant — August 26, 2010 @ 2:50 pm - August 26, 2010

8. Well, at least he isn’t a Christian who believes that God created gays for lifelong, monogamous, publicly accountable relationships. Then even conservatives wouldn’t like him. You can be a conservative gay as long as you at least have multiple partners and do expensive drugs. But God forbid you believe in moral absolutes!

Comment by Ashpenaz — August 26, 2010 @ 3:15 pm - August 26, 2010

9. I know I’ll get shit on for this but a question if I may?

Why are Americans so polarized. There seems to be no middle ground, neither from the left or the right. You all seem to be yelling at each other. “I’m a real American and your not” seems to be the order of the day and both sides are guilty.

When Bush came to power the left went nuts.

When Obama came to power the right went nuts.

Has America truly become a nation of extremes….really?

I ask only because it seems so strange that a nation, once held in high regard, is slowly and most assuredly falling apart. I know that my opinion is that of an outsider but I should tell you, that’s what it looks like from the outside.

On the gay right you have some who basically give Mr. Mehlman a free pass, knowing what he did was wrongheaded. On the gay left you have some who are ready to tar and feather him or worse.

Mr. Mehlman has bridges to mend and to be sure he is deserving of credit for coming out but he, by choice, stood by and allowed some very unpleasant things to done and said in the name of politics. Surely you would at least agree that some of the vitriol from the left, albeit harsh, is not entirely without justification….some.

My respects

J. Deschamps
    CAF, Ret.

Comment by Jon in Canada — August 26, 2010 @ 3:49 pm - August 26, 2010

10. Surely you would at least agree that some of the vitriol from the left, albeit harsh, is not entirely without justification….some.

Indeed I would, Jon. The vitriol from the left is, as usual, based on pure, unadulterated bullshit. They fabricate others as the enemy so they don’t have to acknowledge the real enemy whose balls their libs are clamped onto.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — August 26, 2010 @ 4:19 pm - August 26, 2010

11. lips rather.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — August 26, 2010 @ 4:20 pm - August 26, 2010

12. I would insist that Mehlman:

Personally meet with the parents of at least some gay teenagers who committed suicide and tell them he is very sorry for having contributed to a climate where their child felt so despondent,

Personally meet with gay couples in long term relationships in Ohio, Virginia, California, and all the other states that have banned gay marriage and apologize for his part in getting those states to ban it.

Get on Fox News with Karl Rove and tell him straight to his face that Rove’s anti-gay policies were a cynical move to insure Bush’s reelection and tell him that he is a fucking scumbag.

I am tired of these opportunists who want their cake and eat it too — they want all the glory of a political success at our expense, then cash in, then think they just have to do a few mea culpas and they can live the carefree gay life they always wanted. Fuck him and any of his friends who continue to support him.

There isn’t enough that he can do to undo the harm he has done to our community and our country.

Comment by steve — August 26, 2010 @ 4:59 pm - August 26, 2010

13. I would be interested in a report from Homocon as to whether or not there was a lot of hooking up and whether there were some higher-class drug use going on. If gay conservatives are going to have their version of a Pride rally, are they really going to be any different in terms of values? Or are they just going to be gays who don’t want to pay for fat and old peoples’ health care?

Comment by Ashpenaz — August 26, 2010 @ 5:02 pm - August 26, 2010

14. As a gay libertarian Republican, I really don’t care whether he’s gay, straight or bi — as long as he’s conservative.

Comment by bethesdabrat — August 26, 2010 @ 5:03 pm - August 26, 2010

15. I am an older hetero female who has lived during many years where gays lived invisible lives. In this country it is an issue that gets mixed up with religion and politics and has little to do with either. We are born to be who we are and spending energy to hide that is both sad and cancerous to the soul.
    I am a political conservative who believes Ken Mehlman is a great guy. Ken’s late coming out shows a self-acceptance and maturity that must be liberating regardless of the pitchforks brought out by his enemies. My only sadness comes from the years he spent trying to deny who he really is.
    Politics should stay out of people’s bedrooms.
    The left uses sexual orientation to gather votes and the right uses sexual orientation to preach their holier-than-thouness. Both disgust me.
    It is hard to get through this life, but to do it with a partner who shares laughter, love, friendship and a commitment to the relationship makes the ride every so much easier.
    I wish Ken Mehlman nothing but geniune happiness.

Comment by JudyM — August 26, 2010 @ 5:18 pm - August 26, 2010

16. It certainly seems we have to jump through a lot of hoops to prove accepable to the gay Left.

These people have been telling me what I am and am not allowed to think or say ever since I came out. They seem to be very much attached to a hivemind.

So many interesting things are happening for LGBT people — and most of it is taking place on the Right. You would think that this would be fascinating to every gay or lesbian person. Ann Coulter? Glenn Beck? Rush Limbaugh? There’s a sea-change, at the very least, in how conservatives are treating us.

Are they all sincere? We can’t know that for sure one way or the other. The fact is that it’s happening, and that it at least means we are no longer the Designated Enemy. For people, like me and a lot of the other commenters here, that opens up new possibilities for interaction with them, for reasoning with them, with giving them the opportunity to learn more about who we are and what concerns us.

Anyone who is truly and sincerely FOR us would welcome this. The fact that so many of our self-proclaimed benefactors on the Left are threatened by the latest developments shows, once and for all, that they never viewed us as anything more than tools and useful idiots.

Is there still opposition to us on the Right? Of course there is, and there probably always will be. But for those of us who believe in limited government, lower taxes and individual responsibility, new possibilities beckon. A lot of clear-thinking gays and lesbians are now through with the Left for good. I am certainly one of them.

Comment by Lori Heine — August 26, 2010 @ 5:22 pm - August 26, 2010

17. Mr. Mehlman has bridges to mend and to be sure he is deserving of credit for coming out but he, by choice, stood by and allowed some very unpleasant things to done and said in the name of politics.

He did???

Can you please cite the “very unpleasant things” he “allowed to be done”, with quotes and links showing who did them and how he allowed them???

K thnks

Comment by American Elephant — August 26, 2010 @ 5:24 pm - August 26, 2010

18. from the advocate interview:
    There’s a lot of gays and lesbians and other people who are still angry about the 2004 election and the fact that that those 11 amendments were on the ballot. Is there anything that you would like to say about that in particular?
    Look, I have a lot of friends who ask questions and who are angry about it. I understand that folks are angry, I don’t know that you can change the past. As I’ve said, one thing I regret a lot is the fact that I wasn’t in the position I am today where I was comfortable with this part of my life, where I was able to be an advocate against that [strategy] and able to be someone who argued against it. I can’t change that – it is something I wish I could and I can only try to be helpful in the future.

But I understand the anger and I talk to friends about it – it’s something that I hear from a number of friends.

also from the advocate:

Indeed, Mehlman’s first act as an out gay man will be hosting a fund-raiser of the foundation next month to help support the case, which likely carries a price tag in the millions of dollars (the group has declined to disclose exactly how much).

Although the invitations have yet to be mailed, Mehlman told The Advocate Wednesday evening that just through pre-selling the event, organizers had already helped to raise about $750,000.

The lineup of heavy conservative hitters hosting the event includes people such as Christine Todd Whitman, the former New Jersey governor and administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency; Lew Eisenberg, former Republican National Committee finance chairman and national finance chairman for Sen. John McCain; and Mark and Nicole Wallace, former United Nations ambassador and White House communications director under Bush, respectively.

“A lot of different people have come together to make this a success, but the one who has been the most generous and who is hosting it is Paul Singer,” said Mehlman, referring to the wealthy GOP donor and hedge fund executive. But Mehlman added that he and his colleagues were merely building on the efforts of “a lot of people who have worked hard on these issues for a number of years.”

Comment by rusty — August 26, 2010 @ 5:42 pm - August 26, 2010

19. Where we juxtapose:

Gay Patriot, August 26/2010 – Ken Mehlman comes out – “All too many on the left, the gay left most of all, will give him no quarter. They’ll lambaste him as a self-hating hypocrite…”

Gay Patriot, June 26, 2009 – Hypocrite of the Week – “For all too long, Solmonese has gotten away with putting loyalty to the Democratic Party and his left-wing allies ahead of honest advocacy for the gay community.”

Comment by Jymn — August 26, 2010 @ 6:00 pm - August 26, 2010

20. “The vitriol from the left is, as usual, based on pure, unadulterated bullshit.”

What’s bullshit?

How Republicans in lock-step actively vote or advocate against gay rights?

How closeted gays Republicans like California State Senator Roy Ashburn, Ken Mehlman, Larry Craig etc, work against gay people?

How “gay conservatives” support the Republican party’s anti-gay agenda?

But go ahead and tell me how Republicans are gay-friendly, I’ll like to have my bullshit meter pegged to 11 today.

Btw, you want vitriol? Denounce this,

“Iowa House Republican candidate Jeremy Walters of Des Moines wrote on his Facebook page that the Bible says gays should be killed, and that he believes AIDS was designed by God to kill them.”

Comment by David — August 26, 2010 @ 6:15 pm - August 26, 2010

21. “I would be interested in a report from Homocon as to whether or not there was a lot of hooking up and whether there were some higher-class drug use going on.

Yeah, like that never happens at conventions.

Comment by Sonicfrog — August 26, 2010 @ 6:17 pm - August 26, 2010

22. “The vitriol from the left is, as usual, based on pure, unadulterated bullshit.”

What’s bullshit?

The idea put forth by various trolls that Republicans would “be happy to see gays exterminated,” the idea put forth by some lefty blogs that gay concentration camps were under construction in the Pacific northwest, and the tiresome charge that gays supporting Republicans are like Jews supporting Hitler … once again implying that some sort of genocide is in the offing.

Here are the facts:
    – The Bush Administration never locked up a single person on the charge of being homosexual.
    – The Bush Administration did not close a single gay bar, bath house, or clothing-optional resort
    – The Bush Administration did not shut down a single gay pride parade
    – The Bush Administration did not send the National Guard into arrest participants at gay weddings.
    – The Bush Administration did not stop a single gay-themed film, television show, or stage production from going on.

The Bush Administration left gays alone… which is a policy most of America aligns with. Mind you own business, keep your hands to yourself, and we’ll all get along.

The only thing you guys can bitch about is you want the state to bless your relationships, because somehow they don’t matter otherwise. And you can bitch about that all you want, but not getting it doesn’t make Republicans into mass murderers.

Comment by V the K — August 26, 2010 @ 6:29 pm - August 26, 2010

23. “And you can bitch about that all you want, but not getting it doesn’t make Republicans into mass murderers.”

The one recent instance of real political mass murder in this country, September 11, 2001, these same bitchers and moaners now want memorialized by a mosque at Ground Zero.

Can we take them seriously when they talk about “mass murder?” Hmmm…how about no?

Comment by Lori Heine — August 26, 2010 @ 7:00 pm - August 26, 2010

24. FOXNEWS.COM HOME > POLITICS

“Bush Backs Amendment Barring Gay Marriage”

“If we are to prevent the meaning of marriage from changing forever we must” pass a constitutional amendment, Bush said from the Roosevelt Room at the White House.”

Washington Times

“Bush vows to veto hate-crime expansion for gays”

“President Bush is committed to vetoing the latest effort to expand federal “hate crimes” laws to include sexual orientation, even if it means sending a defense authorization bill back to Congress, the White House said.”

After years of Republican opposition, the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act, is an American Act of Congress, passed on October 22, 2009, and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on October 28, 2009.

Comment by David — August 26, 2010 @ 7:01 pm - August 26, 2010

25. listen to these folk bitch. . .Griffin tells me that Ken Mehlman is chairing a major fundraiser in late September that has already raised over $1 million for the organization battling Prop 8. The fundraiser is co-chaired by prominent Republican donors Paul Singer and Peter Thiel and will be held at Singer’s home.

A large number of other Republicans are co-hosts of the fundraiser including Mary Cheney, Margaret Hoover, and Steve Schmidt. Dick Gephardt is also among the hosts.

Comment by rusty — August 26, 2010 @ 7:02 pm - August 26, 2010

26. I first met Ken when I was visiting colleges 20 odd years ago. He asked me about joining the College Republicans. At the time I laughed it off and kept on going. But over the years, I got to know Ken and as far as I am concerned he is aces in my book.

I have no intention of reading the hate that is being written about him, but it would be nice if one of law school classmates would come out in support of him. Afterall, he has twice waded into matters of race and even brokered a beer summit between a well-known Harvard prof and Cambridge cop.

Comment by Ralph — August 26, 2010 @ 7:46 pm - August 26, 2010

27. Comment by Lori Heine — August 26, 2010 @ 7:00 pm – August 26, 2010

You just made my “Not An Idiot” List.

Comment by V the K — August 26, 2010 @ 7:59 pm - August 26, 2010

28. David @ #20

How Republicans in lock-step actively vote or advocate against gay rights?

David, what gay rights are you missing? You can marry and you can serve in the military so long as your sexual proclivities do not interfere with the military mission. Exactly the same as heterosexuals. I understand you want same sex marriage, but what entitles you to “special” accommodation? I understand you want to serve in the military as an open gay, but if that messes with the majority of troops, why should you have an accommodation for your “special” desires? (Some huge per cent of Marines said “no thanks” to a homosexual room mate. Is that a hate crime?)

Should crossdressers use the restroom that matches their gender of the moment? Lay it on me, David, I can imagine you are quite the thoughtful philosopher.

Comment by heliotrope — August 26, 2010 @ 8:26 pm - August 26, 2010

29. Big yawn. It’s hardly surprising that there are closeted gays in conservative leadership. What is silly is pretending like this proves something about how open-minded and welcoming of gays is the conservative movement. This is evidence against that proposition, not in support of it. Mehlman wouldn’t have risen to the level that he did if it was publicly known that he was gay and we all know it. Funny how that works, huh? Gay conservatives only seem to come out at the tail end of their careers…. which must be a coincidence, right? It couldn’t have anything to do with the heavy influence that religious fundamentalists have on the conservative party at all!

Comment by Levi — August 26, 2010 @ 8:34 pm - August 26, 2010

30. Mehlman wouldn’t have risen to the level that he did if it was publicly known that he was gay and we all know it.

Actually we don’t, because bigoted liberals like yourself have been saying that everyone knew he was gay all along.

The problem is that the plantation fence has been breached, and Levi, like the rest of the massas, is screaming that gays and lesbians who don’t do what the massas want should “blow (their) brains out”.

Now I understand, though, why Levi and his fellow “progressives” are so supportive of radical Islam; it holds the same attitudes that gays and lesbians should be killed that they do.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — August 26, 2010 @ 9:21 pm - August 26, 2010

31. I would insist that Mehlman:

I would insist that YOU personally meet with the parents of at least some gay teenagers who committed suicide because they thought that it mean becoming an angry, self-loathing bigot having anonymous sex in tea rooms while flying on X.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — August 27, 2010 @ 12:50 am - August 27, 2010

32. (You can’t can you, because you know no one is that stupid so you’ll resort to right predictable personal attacks because it’s not about intellectual honesty it’s all about ideological purity and giving you paid Pajama’s Media audience anti-gay red meat.)

Thanks for providing some of the bullshit I’m talking about.

I actually spoke to him via e-mail. His comments, naturally, were spun out of context by the lying garbage we call “media”. He was speaking of the old law of the Old Testament where death was the end for all sinners. He was speaking of how Christ came to save us from sin and give us eternal life in Heaven. He never said that gays “should” be killed.

Leave aside, for the moment, your beliefs about whether or not homosexuality is or is not a sin, he believes that it is and that we can have salvation through Jesus Christ. Of course he was very apologetic for the lying media spinning what he said.

Ergo, there’s nothing to really denounce except the media and gays who CONSTANTLY seek to be offended. He said that he and his family were getting death threats over the spin. Liberal and gay tolerance™ should be denounced, but not him.

Thanks for proving my point re: bullshit, David.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — August 27, 2010 @ 1:09 am - August 27, 2010

33. What’s with all this “sensitive”, “supportive” hand-wringing about Ken Mehlman’s coming out? Let’s see him ride the bull: how about lobbying Congress to declare Feb. 20 “Roy Cohn Day”?

I’m just sayin’…

Comment by Jeremayakovka — August 27, 2010 @ 1:29 am - August 27, 2010

34. […] Unless he does a full David Brock, Ken Mehlman won’t escape the wrath of the angry gay left […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » In Mehlman Matter, Gay Left Blogger Prefers Principle to Revenge — August 27, 2010 @ 3:40 am - August 27, 2010

35. Ah, Levi’s mom must have let him back on the computer. All together now “Thanks Mom!”

Comment by The_Livewire — August 27, 2010 @ 8:22 am - August 27, 2010

36. Mehlman can escape the wrath of the “gay left.”

He can COMMIT SUICIDE! I even have a gun I can loan him.

Comment by steve — August 27, 2010 @ 9:37 am - August 27, 2010

37. Bravo ‘steve’!

You have the liberal disdain for life down perfectly! The post rings of false moral superiority, while revealing a true contempt for your fellow man.

Ashpenaz should take notes. This is how to do over the top parody.

Comment by The_Livewire — August 27, 2010 @ 10:22 am - August 27, 2010

38. OK, NDT, you can stop with the pretending to be steve prank. 🙂

steve is not a real person. A real person would know that he would be charged as an accessory for providing the gun.

Comment by Sonicfrog — August 27, 2010 @ 10:35 am - August 27, 2010

39. He can COMMIT SUICIDE! I even have a gun I can loan him.

Don’t know what game Steve or “Steve” is playing, but this is pretty sick.

Comment by Pat — August 27, 2010 @ 4:42 pm - August 27, 2010

40. #18 Rusty,

Is that supposed to be in answer to my question?

Because i fail to see how state initiatives filed in accordance with state law and passed by the people of the states could possibly be allowed or disallowed by the President of the United States let alone his campaign manager. You might review your Constitution, but the president doesn’t (as of this writing) have that power, and his campaign manager certainly doesnt.

Nor is it even a “very unpleasant thing” when the people prevent activist judges from usurping legislative powers that do not belong to them. I only wish liberals hadnt tried such unconstitutional measures to force their agenda down Americans throats to begin with.

Same goes for David @ #24

Comment by American Elephant — August 27, 2010 @ 5:44 pm - August 27, 2010

41. I guess Mehlman was not thinking with a clear head during the Atlantic interview:

Mehlman’s leadership positions in the GOP came at a time when the party was stepping up its anti-gay activities — such as the distribution in West Virginia in 2006 of literature linking homosexuality to atheism, or the less-than-subtle, coded language in the party’s platform (“Attempts to redefine marriage in a single state or city could have serious consequences throughout the country…”). Mehlman said at the time that he could not, as an individual Republican, go against the party consensus. He was aware that Karl Rove, President Bush’s chief strategic adviser, had been working with Republicans to make sure that anti-gay initiatives and referenda would appear on November ballots in 2004 and 2006 to help Republicans.

Mehlman acknowledges that if he had publicly declared his sexuality sooner, he might have played a role in keeping the party from pushing an anti-gay agenda.

Comment by rusty — August 27, 2010 @ 6:38 pm - August 27, 2010

42. Funny how all your characterizations of what Mehlman said during his interviews come NOT from what Mehlman actually said, or you would be quoting him, but from how left-wing activists characterize what he said.

“Coded language”seriously??? From the same people who claim that the word “socialism” is a racist “code” word?

Could the left for once prove their case with ACTUAL words rather than supposed code words? No, Ive read the interview and while Mehlman seems eager to show that he is now in support of much of the gay agenda, he does not actually say what you and the Atlantic claim he says.

And far from code words, the West Virginia party platform turns out to have been EXACTLY right! Attempts to redefine marriage in a single state or city HAVE had serious consequences throughout the country with a FEDERAL judge inventing out of whole cloth a right to gay marriage. If his ruling stands, which it should not, but if it were to stand, it would force gay marriage on the entire country.

No need for code when youre a conservative. Unlike leftists, we say what we mean and mean what we say — and we’re right.

Comment by American Elephant — August 27, 2010 @ 11:34 pm - August 27, 2010

43. Okkee dokee SE. Thank you for clearing that up

Comment by rusty — August 28, 2010 @ 1:50 am - August 28, 2010

44. Sorry That should be SE

Comment by rusty — August 28, 2010 @ 1:51 am - August 28, 2010

45. such as the distribution in West Virginia in 2006 of literature linking homosexuality to atheism

Which is just repeating fact.

Actually, Bob, most “reasonable” people, if we’re using the word with a respect for its root word, “reason,” agree that there is no evidence for God’s existence, and thus no rational REASON to believe that any god or gods have determined ANYTHING, much less morality.

Comment by Evan Hurst — May 27, 2010 @ 7:13 pm

Hahahahaha, um. Dude. Seriously? No one in the history of the universe has ever been able to prove that the idea of “gods,” which have always been used to control populations, ever existed. It’s a ridiculous idea, created by uneducated nomads from thousands of years ago.

GROW UP>

Comment by Evan Hurst — May 29, 2010 @ 4:13 am

They all rank “10″ because they’re all retarded and none of them can be proven by any human who’s ever lived.

God, your questions are really stupid.

Comment by Evan Hurst — May 29, 2010 @ 4:29 am

Bob. That means your god is a weak minded little bitch who changes his mind and is definitely NOT eternal or omnipotent. He’s merely a reflection of humanity’s most disgusting instincts.

Grow the hell up.

Comment by Evan Hurst — May 31, 2010 @ 4:20 am

Of COURSE, their idea of god is as a serial rapist. Fundamentalist religious people ARE essentially battered wives. They just act it out on a grander scale without such visible bruises. The really screwed up thing is that their abuser is an imaginary friend.

But it’s a rapist just the same.

Comment by Evan Hurst — May 31, 2010 @ 4:22 am

Ben, everything you said was spot on. Bob’s idea of “god” is a moral reprobate, and a child at that. I wouldn’t worship a sniveling ass like that if you paid me.

Comment by Evan Hurst — May 31, 2010 @ 4:25 am

If you don’t want atheism associated with being gay, rusty, perhaps you ought to speak to Wayne Besen, Evan Hurst, and the rest of the brigade over at Truth Wins Out, Ex-Gay Watch, Box Turtle Bulletin, and so forth, because they are making it clear that homosexuality is clearly linked to atheism and hatred for religious beliefs.

But you don’t want to do that. You want to use homosexuality as an excuse for antireligious bigotry, but you don’t want to deal with the consequences of being an antireligious bigot.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — August 28, 2010 @ 6:26 pm - August 28, 2010

46. sorry AE. . .some wine last night before that last post

Sorry That should be SE

Comment by rusty — August 28, 2010 @ 1:51 am – August 28, 2010

AE Was amazing to see a cute couple in a nice Audi with a CHENEY/PALIN bumper sticker. ended up chatting with them and they were so excited with Mehlman’s story. We were up at Smith on Cap Hill.

NDT. . .all I know is there are alot of Christian, Jewish, Muslim,. . . gay folk including atheist.

Some folk have had a really hard time with their past experiences with their faith, whether it was the practices and beliefs of their ‘family’ blessed with a baptism or another ceremony or if it was a religious path they had chosen for themselves

I guess I will pass on taking the task to challenge folk who are athiest. Kinda seems that in America, choosing not to follow a life path without any ‘religious’ doctrine is just as much of a choice as following any religious path. because I think most agree we don’t follow any heirarchy of whixh religious institution should get priority.

Comment by rusty — August 29, 2010 @ 1:06 am - August 29, 2010