The Gay Party Dogma: that cosmic decree mandating that our coming out involve a monumental, revolutionary identity shiftt

Over at the Daily Caller, noting how some gay left bloggers have been savaging Ken Mehlman since he came out, Alex Knepper writes:

The explicit message is basically that Mehlman, upon a singular urge for male flesh, is supposed to discard his feelings about every non-gay issue in the political arena and march into battle hoisting the rainbow flag.

It may come as a shock to the maladjusted children who enjoy throwing temper tantrums in front of the White House, but the experience of homosexuality is not monolithic, nor is there any cosmic decree mandating that it be a monumental, revolutionary identity shift. Mehlman, whose sexuality is probably far more ambiguous than his caterwauling critics can relate to, is one of millions of gay men whose values and life experience simply do not align with Gay Party dogma.

This young man doesn’t mince his words!  Love his line about the supposed cosmic degree mandating that our coming out involve a monumental, revolutionary identity shift.  It does seem that way for some people.  (Do need to address this issue in more detail and in greater depth.)

It seems he and I are on the same page about some of the rhetoric in the gay marriage debate when he asks, “Am I supposed to feel like less of a human being until some bureaucrat validates my existence? Is this the message I’m supposed to internalize?” Indeed.

Read the whole thing.

(H/t:  Reader Hyperion AKA  Jeremayakovka)

1. That’s “Gay Party,” Dan.

MUST proofread…MUST proofread… 🙂

Comment by Eric in Chicago — August 27, 2010 @ 11:18 am - August 27, 2010

2. Maybe one of the trolls could answer me this (but I doubt it), why does being attracted to your same sex mean you also have support big government, high taxes, and environmental extremism?

Comment by V the K — August 27, 2010 @ 12:15 pm - August 27, 2010

3. I don’t know Ken personally. I did shake his hand at some conference I was at in DC once a long time ago. Of course he didn’t know my beliefs or anything. We just shook hands and I listened to him speak. But, this revelation of him identifying as gay is no surprise.

I thought the young man you linked too asked some great questions. Don’t agree with every conclusion but was glad to at least see someone asking really good questions. It’s very refreshing and I think another sign of us (as a culture) moving into a post-gay reality.

I would take his questions a bit further, why does anything have to be qualified as “gay?” Regardless of my sexual orientation, the moment I rejected that one little label from being a filter for my life … a lot of stress went out the door with it.

Increasingly the following question is more relevant: How can someone come out of something they never lived in to begin with? Self-acceptance and common unity (i.e. community) in the context of same sex attraction does not have to be falsely encased or constructed by the liberal ideological closet. <– That particular ideology is based on a utopian ideal born out of culture war bitterness/anger (a measure of which is completely understandable.) While I do think it is understandable it never was a perfect fit and increasingly out of step (as the decades roll on) with reality.

My opinions for Ken (not that he would notice) would be different than folks who identify as gay but I fully understand and would extend grace to him. As I social conservative I don't feel betrayed at all. People's beliefs and priorities change throughout life. While others fret and point fingers, Ken is the only person who has to live his life and public policy is as tumultuous as a tempest tossed sea. Dignity and respect is best expressed in personal relationship.

Comment by Randy — August 27, 2010 @ 12:49 pm - August 27, 2010

4. People, is it really that hard to understand why Mehlman is being “savaged”? He actively managed a campaign that stoked anti-gay sentiment for political gain. Whatever he self-servingly claims about his role behind the scenes now, the tenor of that campaign is undeniable.

It’s awfully rich for him to think that he can now come out, move to Chelsea, and find complete acceptance in the gay community — especially after he spent most of the early 2000s working to defeat the very victories from which he now seeks to benefit.

Of course there’s nothing mandating that everyone who’s gay has to identify with the Democratic Party. To the contrary, there are plenty of honorable gay Republicans. Mehlman, however, isn’t one of them — and you don’t help your cause by trying to defend this blatant hypocrite.

Comment by MattNY — August 27, 2010 @ 2:28 pm - August 27, 2010

5. When I came out, I was supposed to–

jump into bed with a lot of partners because I’d been repressed
    renounce my faith because God hates gays
    use drugs because life is meant to be in fabulous technicolor all the time
    march in rallies because I’m a victim now
    limit my social life to other gays because straights are boring
    move from the Midwest to an urban area because people here just couldn’t accept me
    live in a gay ghetto because there is violence all around me

None of which I did. I did however see Wicked more times than probably necessary.

Comment by Ashpenaz — August 27, 2010 @ 5:12 pm - August 27, 2010

6. I’m glad you folks are here. I too thought that Mehlman was mere trading one set of rigid expectations for another. For a group that calls for tolerance, we sure can make demands of people due to their sexual orientation.

Comment by Dottielaird — August 27, 2010 @ 5:42 pm - August 27, 2010

7. None of which I did.

But you did jump all over the notion that other people are supposed to provide for you while you do nothing.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — August 27, 2010 @ 6:54 pm - August 27, 2010

8. To clarify–I think that everyone should pay an equal percentage of taxes and that government has an obligation to provide things necessary to the common welfare, such as education, food inspection, military protection, social security, and health care.

Once those taxes are paid, you can make as much money as you want. If you want to pay, say, 10% of 1 million or 1 billion or 1 gazillion, and I want to pay 10% of $25,000, as long as we are contributing equally from our share, that’s fine. Because I am under no obligation to make a lot of money if I don’t want to–which is one of the freedoms of free market capitalism.

Comment by Ashpenaz — August 28, 2010 @ 2:40 pm - August 28, 2010

9. But people AREN’T contributing equally! The rich are paying much higher percentages, and almost half the country pays no income tax at ALL.

Comment by American Elephant — August 28, 2010 @ 6:51 pm - August 28, 2010

10. Liberal gays denounce the Right for propagating stereotypes even as they denounce conservative gays for not conforming to said stereotypes.

Comment by JervisTetch — August 28, 2010 @ 7:40 pm - August 28, 2010

11. I would change it so everyone is paying an equal share and enough is being paid to cover all the services I listed. After that, make as much as you want. I don’t see how that is Communist or lazy.

Comment by Ashpenaz — August 28, 2010 @ 8:44 pm - August 28, 2010

12. There’s a lesbian version of the ‘cosmic coming-out identity shift’ too, in which you’re expected to spend every waking hour lambasting men, or hammering home just how much better you are than men (or straight women) in everything – sex, art, politics, etc. Even when your relations or experiences with both have up to that point been nothing less than positive.

There’s a reason I hang out and get along with people who are mostly straight, plus a handful of clued-in gay men and lesbians. They can be anything they want to be not because of lack of oppression, but because THEY DON’T GHETTOISE THEMSELVES.

Comment by Jo-Ann — August 29, 2010 @ 12:31 pm - August 29, 2010

13. There’s a lesbian version of the ‘cosmic coming-out identity shift’ too, in which you’re expected to spend every waking hour lambasting men, or hammering home just how much better you are than men (or straight women) in everything – sex, art, politics, etc. Even when your relations or experiences with both have up to that point been nothing less than positive.

Gods… you’ve talked to my mother, haven’t you?

😉