Short-lived victory for gay rights’ in California?

The California Senate failed to pass a bill which would have made it more difficult for gay citizens of the Golden State to protect themselves against hate crimes:

The California Senate rejected a bill Monday that would have made it illegal to carry unloaded guns in public, but lawmakers will give the vote one more try.

Monday’s 20-16 vote fell one short of the majority needed, but the Senate will reconsider the measure Tuesday.

Let’s hope Equality California (EqCA) and other groups concerned will the welfare of gay people are working hard to keep state Senators from voting in favor of this bill.

Now, if all law-abiding citizens could obtain Concealed Carry permits in the Golden State, gay people would feel a lot safer. Aware that gay people might be armed, thugs would be far less likely to attack us.  (Alas, that that is not even under consideration.)

The current bill would take one more right away form us and I trust those so concerned about our rights will be working overtime to defeat it again when the Senate reconsiders it.

(H/t:  Instapundit.)

1. Hmm… that one seemed to be left of the list of a whole bunch of laws I’m supposed to support according to an email I just received from Mr. Kors. Maybe the EqCA online action website is just broken. Guess I’ll send an email to the webmaster. LOL

Comment by Chris H — August 31, 2010 @ 7:27 pm - August 31, 2010

2. At least it applies equally to straights and gays.

Comment by BenD — August 31, 2010 @ 8:22 pm - August 31, 2010

3. I’m glad I live in Arizona. “Maggie,” my Lady Smith .357 magnum, is always ready in case anyone’s dumb enough to attempt a hate crime.

Do I trust politicians with my safety? Not so much…

Comment by Lori Heine — August 31, 2010 @ 8:38 pm - August 31, 2010

4. What’s the point of carrying an unloaded gun in public?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — August 31, 2010 @ 8:40 pm - August 31, 2010

5. It depends on where you’re carrying the unloaded gun. How happy do you want to look?

In your case, TGC, I would suggest that large calibers would only be seen as false advertising. You might not be the victim of a hate crime, but you should worry about causing violence as the result of intense disappointment.

Comment by Ashpenaz — August 31, 2010 @ 11:28 pm - August 31, 2010

6. “What’s the point of carrying an unloaded gun in public?”

There’d be none. Which is why mine wouldn’t be. In Arizona, conceal and carry permits can be obtained.

I don’t carry mine around; it’s strictly for home protection. I don’t want people to think I’m Dirty Harriet.

Comment by Lori Heine — September 1, 2010 @ 12:33 am - September 1, 2010

7. Of all organizations, why can’t “Equality California” realize that a concealed-carry gun law would greatly improve the safety and well-being of all California’s citizens, especially gay and lesbian Americans.

I would strongly recommend that the National Rifle Association or some civil rights attorney can propose a ballot initiative for a California election season.

The purpose of the ballot initiative would be to prevent California’s politicians from denying 2nd Amendment civil rights to its citizens. They should also propose another ballot initiative that would ban Sharia Law and strengthen national (state) security.

We all know that California is filled with gangsters and thugs, most specifically Radical Islamist thugs and Illegal Alien gangs that are rampant across Liberal urban areas. “Islamists-Illegal Gangs-Leftist Idiots” is a dangerous alliance for breeding anti-gay hate criminals in Communist California.

Comment by Totakikay — September 1, 2010 @ 12:51 am - September 1, 2010

8. In your case, TGC, I would suggest that large calibers would only be seen as false advertising.

At least I can find mine and my .577 cal. My partner is happy with both. Fat, Socialist slobs need not apply.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — September 1, 2010 @ 1:59 am - September 1, 2010

9. It depends on where you’re carrying the unloaded gun brain. How happy silly do you want to look?

In your case, TGC Ashpenaz, I would suggest that carrying large calibers calipers to measure your head would only be seen as false advertising. You might not be the victim of a hate crime, but you should worry about causing violence snickering as the result of intense disappointment delusions of superiority.

Comment by heliotrope — September 1, 2010 @ 10:00 am - September 1, 2010

10. Hopefully you’ll still be allowed to carry a loaded magazine or two in your other pocket…

The People’s Republic of New Jersey has no legal provision for concealed or open carry in this state unless you’re active law-enforcement.

You’re only allowed to transit directly from your home to the range and back with your gun locked unloaded in your car-trunk non-stop. Technically, you can’t even stop at McDonald’s on the way back from the range…the law doesn’t even allow you to legally transport it to a gunsmith and back. Or to possess hollow-point ammunition.

I can’t even legally keep a shotgun at my place of business…and forget about even buying an handgun in this state.

Comment by Ted B. — September 1, 2010 @ 3:26 pm - September 1, 2010

11. I believe there arfe at least three chapters of Pink Pistols, that I´m aware of; SF, LA, and Orange Counties. Why weren´t they in the forefront contacting their state senators? Add to the list the California Rifle and Pistol Association. When I lived in the U.S I was a member of both groups and the NRA.

Comment by Roberto — September 1, 2010 @ 3:57 pm - September 1, 2010

12. NOW who’s shredding the constitution?

Comment by EssEm — September 2, 2010 @ 12:16 am - September 2, 2010

13. Barry Goldwater would be ashamed of Arizona and its concealed and loaded weapons law. I can’t imagine such a stupidity in the Golden State where we at least know that the date is 2010 not 1872. How gays and lesbians would feel safer with a law only the NRA can love is beyond comprehension. Then again, having read this blog for a few years, I often reminded how the left and the right eventually meet in the middle.

Comment by Bryan — September 2, 2010 @ 3:06 am - September 2, 2010

14. Yes Bryan, because an armed populace can’t be trusted. Is that what you mean?

Or maybe you believe that if it’s illegal to carry firearms, less people will be murdered?

Please, explain to me how Conceal/Carry is incompatible with AuH2O

Comment by The_Livewire — September 3, 2010 @ 6:33 am - September 3, 2010

15. My dear Livewire,
    The late Sen. Goldwater was a collector of firearms, and was most meticulous about safety and training when he showed them. I wish more of my fellow gun owners responded similarly. Although former Sen. Stevens of AK suggests Sen. Goldwater CC’d (and in a rather odd place), it is not the case that he did so always and everywhere. And certainly not into bars as is permissible in Arizona (which many proprietors fortunately sidestep in consideration of the liability). Sen. Goldwater enjoyed hunting and target practice; he did not make a point of saying, look at me, I’ve gotta gun. The latter sentiment is one I sense from far too many of my fellow gun owners who like to stand on the Second Amendment. I direct you to his old article from a 1975 Reader’s Digest for his thoughts on gun control. He also quipped if you need more than one round for deer hunting, you need another sport. Far too many conservatives attribute things to Sen. Goldwater that he did not say, did not approve of, and changed his mind about. He was a rather complex man, and hardly a party ideologue. As one who has lived on and off in the Grand Canyon State for much of his life, I miss his far-reaching interests and ideas greatly. His successor could never reach his greatness- that’s why he lost the last election.

And I’m sorry but your initial questions, though somewhat rhetorical, remind of how difficult it is to speak without emotion on the topic of firearms possession in these United States. I have no issue whatsoever with rifles and shotguns. I do feel we have a problem with handguns and large capacity magazines. Regrettably to say the latter is to be thought un-American and desirous of tyranny.

Comment by Bryan — September 9, 2010 @ 2:51 am - September 9, 2010