So Barney’s on Good Behavior this election cycle?!?!

I have long believe that the unhappy Barney Frank could lose his seat this fall.

And now others are drawing attention to his (possible) electoral woes.  You gotta wonder when one of the most mean-spirited, self-righteous members of Congress starts acting nice as Margery Eagan reports:

Here’s how I know that Barney Frank’s re-election race is tighter than he’d like.

Yesterday I asked him some questions. I was bracing to get hammered by his reply.

This time, though, he didn’t tell me I was asking something dumb. He didn’t get mad. He didn’t lecture me on what I should be asking instead.

What’s up? My guess: Barney’s on good behavior because the country’s angry. Lots of voters in his typically adoring 4th District are angry too.

So, Barney can no longer act like a two-year-old and storm off the set when someone ask him a tough question.

And note how the 15-term Congressman normally responds to his critics–by talking down to them, as if he gets to tell reporters how to cover him because he’s so smart and so important and has served so long in Congress and even, golly gee whiz, chairs a committee.

Barney’s no longer lecturing.  Guess he knows the mood of the country is going against him.  And people in his district are considering other options than being served by the man who has represented them in Congress since the dying days of the Carter Administration.

(H/t Wall Street Journal’s Political Diary — available by subscription.)

You can support Sean Bielat, the man bidding to retire Barrney, here.

1. Who knows. Maybe it will even dawn on Barney at long last, and a tiny bit, that HE AND HIS LOVER WERE KEY VILLAINS IN THE HOUSING BUBBLE.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — September 28, 2010 @ 5:51 pm - September 28, 2010

2. Maybe Rep. Barney Frank can see he will be without a job after the November elections? He’s beside himself. The good behavior rubbish could be the on set of depression. I’d rather see a humbled, jobless Barney Frank than a hapless, arrogant elistist know-it-all who is anything but a knowledgeable, wise person. Frank is the dirt one sees after a shower is cleaned.

Go Sean Bielat! Unseat the Queen!

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — September 28, 2010 @ 6:10 pm - September 28, 2010

3. I am trying not to get my hopes up… but if Frank were defeated by Bielat, that would be some revolution. One worth having.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — September 28, 2010 @ 6:15 pm - September 28, 2010

4. I won’t shed a tear if Barney is sent packing.

Comment by John — September 28, 2010 @ 6:28 pm - September 28, 2010

5. Barney is the definition of arrogant, loud mouthed, entrenched liberal polititian. The tea party was created to eliminate the likes of Barney Frank.

Comment by Gene in Pennsylvania — September 28, 2010 @ 6:48 pm - September 28, 2010

6. You will know he has changed if he goes on O’Rielly and doesn’t loose his cool.

Comment by The Other Peter H — September 28, 2010 @ 7:05 pm - September 28, 2010

7. Push him enough and his true personality will come through. He can only hold himself so long…well, maybe that’s not the right phrase to use. :)

Comment by Mary — September 28, 2010 @ 7:42 pm - September 28, 2010

8. It’s not simply about Barney, though. Sean is a VERY impressive man.
    Here’s a link from the local paper where Clinton came to help out Barney.
    GREAT picture of Sean!
    That’s me in the middle of the crowd holding the Retire Barney sign. :)

I really think we’re going to do it, folks!

Comment by Bobbie — September 28, 2010 @ 8:57 pm - September 28, 2010

9. So first you say Barney Frank is badly behaved and should calm down. Then he does, so your next tactic seems to be “He’s weakened! Go in for the kill!”.

But hey, maybe it’s working. Last I checked FiveThirtyEight gave Frank a 100% chance of victory, now it’s only 99.92% with just over a month to go! Still everything to play for!

Something’s bugging me though. Why the sudden obsession with Barney Frank? Wasn’t there someone else before? Oh, right! Barbara Boxer! What happen to… oh, right…

Comment by Serenity — September 28, 2010 @ 9:44 pm - September 28, 2010

10. Nothing would be better for queerfolk everywhere than getting rid of Barney Frank. How tired are we of having this fat, oily, lecherous swindler with a history of running prostitution rings out of his townhouse as the standard-bearer of “gay America.” Puke

Now if only we could also get Dan Savage out of our hair we’ll be in the perfect situation.

Comment by Coco — September 28, 2010 @ 10:20 pm - September 28, 2010

11. Something’s bugging me though. Why the sudden obsession with Barney Frank?

Aw, c’mon now! There is no “sudden obsession” with Blarney Flanks and you know it. Blarney is from a 397.8% iron-clad safe district. There is just a little excitement over the possibility that Serenity, FiveThirtyEight and all the soothsayers may have run over their own nipples with their training wheels.

Comment by Heliotrope — September 28, 2010 @ 10:52 pm - September 28, 2010

12. Sudden obsession, Serenity? I’ve been making fun of the unhappy Massachusetts Democrat for years now.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — September 28, 2010 @ 11:07 pm - September 28, 2010

13. @Heliotrope: If you want to waste some time and money on trying to unseat Barney Frank, go ahead. Democrats in competitive races will thank you for taking some of the heat off them.

Comment by Serenity — September 29, 2010 @ 12:00 am - September 29, 2010

14. @Daniel: Shall I take from your evasion that you’ve accepted that California’s failed candidate isn’t going to win and never was going to win?

Indeed he has.

Not that we would expect a mentally-inferior individual like yourself who simply repeats talking points to actually read or understand polls, Pomposity. Nate Silver and his propagandizing ilk understand that you simply don’t have the intellectual capacity or capability to review and realize that they manipulate and artificially weight samples, as was pointed out; you simply read the results and give no actual thought to how they were produced.

Meanwhile, Pomposity, you and yours shrieked that there was no way Scott Brown could win in Massachusetts, either.

You’re simply throwing tantrums, ranting, screaming and crying because you’re losing. As is typical for infantile individuals like you, there simply is no rationality present; you start having these types of emotional, hate-driven outbursts when you’re frustrated.

Of course, we understand why you support Boxer and Frank, Pomposity; they are racist minority-status bigots like yourself who support and endorse corrupt and hatemongering racists like Loretta Sanchez and Maxine Waters. Frank especially; he exemplifies the belief that you espouse that your sexual orientation is some sort of acceptable substitute for intelligence or performance.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — September 29, 2010 @ 1:15 am - September 29, 2010

15. Indeed he has.

Ah, the ‘USC issue’ (I can post links too!)

Of course even in the highly likely case that you think Nate Silver is lying, to put Fiorina ahead, you’d have to say that CNN, PPP, Rasmussen, SurveyUSA, and even Fox News are biased towards the Democrats as well, since all of them have shown Boxer ahead by between 1 and 6 points. The only poll since September 6 to not show Boxer ahead is by Field Poll, which shows the race as a dead heat.

There’s simply no getting away from this. A whole series of polls from different polling organizations are showing a consistent (and maybe even growing) lead for Barbara Boxer, and the same goes for Jerry Brown who is pulling ahead too. This isn’t a polling bias by one rogue organization, they’re all saying the same thing.

This is getting old. Find a new catchphrase.

Not in California. Besides, I have nothing directly riding on the results of this, I just enjoy our little debates as a nice hobby.

To anyone reading this: Who seems the most infantile, frustrated, and hate-driven here?

I’ve never actually come out and endorsed Barbara Boxer, and I’m not going to start here. She does seem like a pretty bad Senator, and California does deserve better. Unfortunately, I don’t think Carly Fiorina is better.

Comment by Serenity — September 29, 2010 @ 1:43 am - September 29, 2010

16. Is there any one person more responsible for the world financial meltdown than Barney Fannie Mae Frank?

Comment by American Elephant — September 29, 2010 @ 6:29 am - September 29, 2010

17. Serenity:

Some of us are caught up in “hope” and “change.” We would like to “fundamentally transform” Congress. We are giddy over the slight chance that safe Democrat seats are in serious play. We would be extra delighted if Frank or Boxer went beyond flop sweat and actually got defeated.

That is worth far more of our extra money for incidentals than, say, crying in warm beer.

You do seem to have your tail tucked between your legs. Soon you may start gnawing on the tip of it like a common depressed cur. Or, in the case of a female, should I say bitch?

I will cede you this: any time a race is close, the Democrats have the edge. They are the masters of cheating and voting the dead multiple times. They even allow armed thugs to intimidate voters at the polling place. Your pride in this party is telling. Alas, you can’t have your Chavez and just be done with it.

Comment by Heliotrope — September 29, 2010 @ 8:09 am - September 29, 2010

18. @Heliotrope: Am I getting this right? You’re winning. In fact, you’re on the verge of Congressional gains bigger than in 1994, probably the biggest in an entire generation, and you’re still being bitter about it.

Sounds to me less like getting caught up in “hope” and “change” and more like you’re already deeply unsatisfied by the gains you know you’ll fail to make and see this election merely as a stepping stone towards a 2012 knockout blow towards all of progressivism in America.

Have I got it about right?

Comment by Serenity — September 29, 2010 @ 9:48 am - September 29, 2010

19. Have I got it about right?

Not in the least.

You, dear neo-pseudo sophisticate are the one who keeps letting your bladder dribble about what you identify as “obsessions” with Barney Frank and dropping back on the Boxer race.

I doubt that we will score big in every possible match-up where there is a possible defeat. But I delight in the flop sweat that you and others are producing.

“Bitter” is not my game. In fact, you are first person I recall ever applying that term to me. However, I would be thrilled if Progressivism were not only halted, but buried in the dust bin of history.

Predictably, you are going to claim that we conservatives didn’t get what we would have, could have gotten if we had just been smarter.

The typical moron observer always has a way to say “I told you so” after the game is played.

I don’t pay attention to individual races, polls, because if I could depend on that type of information, I would spend my time predicting the stock market and becoming a zillionaire.

Do you get the picture?

Comment by Heliotrope — September 29, 2010 @ 1:56 pm - September 29, 2010

20. In any case, I did my part. Representative-Elect Mr. Bielat received from me the largest amount I’ve ever donated to a political candidate/cause. I firmly believe he will win. If not, I hope he uses my contribution to get those kahunas pampered; they’re a refreshing change to the whiny, mealy-mouthed Queen of Finance & Ruin…and they’re BIG.

Comment by rodney — September 30, 2010 @ 11:15 am - September 30, 2010