Would it that the next Speaker of the House were Jewish

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 10:48 am - October 12, 2010.
Filed under: 2010 Elections

I’m with the next Congressman from the Old Dominon’s Second Congressional District:

Scott Rigell, the Republican businessman challenging Rep. Glenn Nye (D-Va.) in Nov. 2′s election, said at a meeting with Tea Party-ers over the weekend that Boehner would be an OK Speaker, but that Cantor would be an “outstanding” choice for the next GOP leader.

“I think John Boehner would be a good Speaker,” Rigell told the meeting. “I think Eric Cantor would be an outstanding Speaker, and there may be some others that come along.”

Like Rigell who leads outgoing Congressman “Nye by 6 percent” (“with the nonpartisan Cook Political Report [rating] the contest as a “lean Republican” race”), I agree that the more principled and thoughtful Cantor would be a far better Speaker than Boehner.

He may, however, lack the political acumen of his Buckeye colleague.  All that said, seeing Cantor rise as he has in past Congresses and foreseeing him as Majority Leader in the next Congress is a good sign for the Republican Party.  And the United States of America.

1. Eric Cantor makes me a bit nervous. I think his feet, when held to the fire, dance a little bit too much:

I am not sure what his Jewish credentials are. Jews span the gamut from agnostic to unfathomable religious zealots. I have never, ever been able to discern how a Jew can be separated from religion. Is there a chromosome there that eugenics people can play havoc with? What is Jewish culture absent religion? Too confusing for my diversity stunted mind.

Comment by Heliotrope — October 12, 2010 @ 11:13 am - October 12, 2010

2. I must quickly add that I am equally nervous about Boehner. He is a career pol and he has to switch gears from underdog leader to overlord. We have no way of knowing how that will play out. Even Newt went kissing up to Clinton and playing all bi-partisan patty-cakes. That is what inside the beltway people too often do. They want to be loved.

Just why Reid, Pelosi, Schumer, Waxman, Dingell, Leahy, Kennedy (the dead murderer), Frank, Waters, Obama, Emmanuel, and a long list of others get to be partisan thugs is beyond me. Cheney told Leahy what impossible sexual act he could perform on himself and the world nearly ended. Hatch had the vapors and Republicans apologized. Trent Lott probably offered to resign from the NRA.

These are defining times. We have to make clear war on socialism. It is not about feeding the crocodile in the hopes that it will eat us last.

Comment by Heliotrope — October 12, 2010 @ 11:25 am - October 12, 2010

3. Levi, gillie, Richard R… choke on this.

Comment by V the K — October 12, 2010 @ 11:55 am - October 12, 2010

4. [...] GayPatriot » Would it that the … [...]

Pingback by Fox: Palin: Iran Nuke Would ‘Lead to an Armageddon’ — October 12, 2010 @ 12:45 pm - October 12, 2010

5. Boehner, Cantor, I don’t care. As long as Pelosi is sent packing that’s good enough for now.

Comment by John — October 12, 2010 @ 7:12 pm - October 12, 2010

6. If Reid falls, but the Senate remains Democrat then Schumer will be the Majority Leader. He will be Jewish.

Comment by Heliotrope — October 13, 2010 @ 9:52 am - October 13, 2010

7. I too, am troubled by the thought of John Boehner as Speaker. In 1998 when the Party lost five seats in the midterm election, he was one of those who faulted Newt Gingrich for the loss and forced Newt´s resignation as Speaker. Yet in 2006 Boehner lost control of the House, and he doesn´t get punished for it? I wasn´t impressed by Eric Cantor´s interview with Greta the other night. Maybe Paul Ryan might be a good bet.

Comment by Roberto — October 14, 2010 @ 12:59 pm - October 14, 2010