Will Reid’s Latest Gaffe Attract as Much Media Attention as Christine O’Donnell’s Commentary on the Constitution

Harry Reid has been the Democratic Leader of the United States Senate for the past six years, a Senator from Nevada for twenty-four, an elected public official for forty-two.  He has been Senate Majority Leader since 2007.  He currently trails in most polls for his reelection, but not by much  – and within the margin of error.

Christine O’Donnell has never held public office.  She trails in most polls in the contest to fill Joe Biden’s U.S. Senate seat by a significant margin, far outside the margin of error.

Seems that when the former says something silly or controversial, it should make news while similar comments by the latter should not attract all that much attention (save perhaps in Delaware where she’s running for office).  But, she has become the Democrats’ favorite punching bag:

Christine O’Donnell is only on one state’s ballot this year, but it would be easy for voters elsewhere to think otherwise. Democrats in some of the nation’s most competitive Senate races are invoking the Delaware Republican Senate nominee’s name almost as frequently as their actual opponents.

It’s an attempt to play a game of crazy-by-association . . .

So, shouldn’t we then play arrogant by association with the man Senate Democrats elected to lead them?  Don’t they have more of a stake in his gaffes than do Republicans who may well have opposed O’Donnell in her primary contest — and who have no intention to elect her to a position of leadership?

He’s telling us now that but for him, “we’d we in a worldwide depression“:

You know, maybe he meant the statement to come out a little differently. But, he’s been in elected office since before Christine O’Donnell was born.  He should have learned to better measure his words.

Somehow,” Doug Powers quips, “acting as Barack Obama’s rubber stamp in adding as much new debt in less than two years — $3 trillion at last check — an amount that took from 1776 to 1990 to accumulate, saved the world.”

And somehow, I doubt, the media will make as much fun of Harry Reid’s strange and self-important statement as they do of anything coming out of the mouth of Ms. O’Donnell.

1. I can top Harry Reid. I also prevented a worldwide depression. AND I can prevent cancer in a majority of people. And I prevented space aliens from attacking. All just by being here. (Proof: I’m here, right? And there’s no depression and no space aliens attacking, right?)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 22, 2010 @ 4:10 am - October 22, 2010

2. But here’s what I really want to know. If Juan Williams had only had the profound character and wisdom needed to say “I spoke hastily”, more hastily, would it have saved him from the darkness of being a bigot? Or would NPR at least have fired less hastily?

I saved the NPR CEO from being fired, BTW.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 22, 2010 @ 4:15 am - October 22, 2010

3. Oh, that was Harry Reid who saved the world?

I was wondering who did that.

Comment by gastorgrab — October 22, 2010 @ 4:28 am - October 22, 2010

4. Reid keeps me regular.

Comment by Heliotrope — October 22, 2010 @ 7:51 am - October 22, 2010

5. Heliotrope, you made me laugh out loud this morning!

Comment by Patriot Mom — October 22, 2010 @ 9:03 am - October 22, 2010

6. Wow first this guy, using reverse psychology, “won” the Iraq war by saying it was lost. And now he saved the world!

This guy is better then Superman!

Did he use Reverse Psychology to Save the world as well?

Comment by Stone K — October 22, 2010 @ 9:49 am - October 22, 2010

7. Oh! That reminds me…

Note to self: send Harry Reid a muffin basket.

Comment by Sean A — October 22, 2010 @ 10:32 am - October 22, 2010

8. I think that Reid’s public comments should be between himself and his psychiatrist. (H/T – NPR)

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — October 22, 2010 @ 11:10 am - October 22, 2010

9. #8: ROFLMAO!

Comment by Sean A — October 22, 2010 @ 12:45 pm - October 22, 2010

10. ILC, you’re my hero! Thanks for saving me from the space aliens!

Comment by Steven E. Kalbach — October 22, 2010 @ 6:03 pm - October 22, 2010

11. Don’t forget, this is the same dolt who thinks it’s his Constitutional duty to spend money, and the more he spends, the better he’s doing his duty.

Comment by BikerDad — October 22, 2010 @ 9:41 pm - October 22, 2010

12. Partisanship aside, he was peripherally involved in preventing a depression (I’m not convinced Congress’s actions were necessary; in the end the Federal Reserve basically spent a few months as central economic planners–and were so horrified by this, Bernanke actually asked Congress to repeal their authority for what they had done (imagine if you were forced to worship Satan; that’s what Bernanke’s face looked like, in the March 2009 Senate monetary policy report–if I remember right).

Comment by joeedh — October 23, 2010 @ 1:57 am - October 23, 2010

13. I think Dennis Miller aptly described this guy Harry Reid when he said “he’s like a party clown with tiretz syndrome.”

Comment by cameron M. — October 26, 2010 @ 1:14 am - October 26, 2010