Was Juan Williams really “very afraid” of a Dem victory in ’08?**

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 2:57 am - November 1, 2010.
Filed under: 2008 Elections,2010 Elections

A recently unearthed transcript:

BRIT HUME: Juan, columnist George Will says if the election goes as expected, his advice is be afraid, be very afraid. Should we take his advice?

JUAN WILLIAMS, WEEKLY STANDARD: I am already afraid, very afraid. I mean, it’s not like governance has been going great. I think we’ll, I don’t know whether I should be afraid, but there will be gridlock.

HUME: Michael, Will also says that future historians will probably look back at the 2008 election as a catastrophe for America. You are a historian. You agree with that?

MICHAEL BARONE, U.S. NEWS : No, but they might look on it as kind of a joke. There is sort of a circus aspect to it that people, it’s become comic and a kind of a dark way. You know, Will is a professional doomsayer. So, you have to take that with a grain of salt. But obviously the political system’s a mess.

*Click here to see who’s really doing the talking.  (Via Glenn.)

**Changed the title/tweaked the post for what should be obvious reasons.  🙂

Read more:

1. This year, those same exact lines will be uttered and reiterated by Chris Matthews, Nina Tottenberg and Andrea Mitchell… and I’ll be smiling.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — November 1, 2010 @ 9:24 am - November 1, 2010

2. I will remain mute. This, I believe is a test and one I think is long in coming. Might be interesting.

Comment by Heliotrope — November 1, 2010 @ 10:15 am - November 1, 2010

3. http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2010/10/30/totenbergs-very-afraid-these-elections-thomas-thinks-theyre-jokepolit

Check your source. This may be a rewrite.

Comment by Essem — November 1, 2010 @ 11:52 am - November 1, 2010

4. It was a rewrite. And I did the rewriting. To make a point about the absurdity of the comments. 🙂

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — November 1, 2010 @ 12:10 pm - November 1, 2010

5. Lazy me. Didn’t hit the Read More button.

Comment by Essem — November 1, 2010 @ 1:08 pm - November 1, 2010

6. This two year adventure has been one logical fallacy after another……

The central theme pushed by Social Democrats is that a ‘common intellect’ is unqualified to make decisions for 300 million different people. They ignore fact that a more Libertarian legislator has a much lesser burden than a Socialist legislator does. It’s not necessary for a legislator to be an ‘uber genius’, if they allow citizens conduct their own affairs.

What person or group IS an authority on all the problems of 300 million other people?

———–

“I have no fear that the result of our experiment will be that men may be trusted to govern themselves without a master.”

“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”

“Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of himself. Can he, then be trusted with the government of others? Or have we found angels in the form of kings to govern him? Let history answer this question.”

– Thomas Jefferson

Comment by gastorgrab — November 1, 2010 @ 4:31 pm - November 1, 2010

7. Thank you Gastorgrab for the great quotes by Thomas Jefferson. It’s a shame this great movement is being besmirched by the Texan ignoramuses who are removing all Jefferson mentions from student textbooks. Here’s hoping that that level of dumb is overwhelmed in the long run by intelligent conservatives.

Comment by PopArt — November 1, 2010 @ 6:18 pm - November 1, 2010