Gay Americans Made Important Contribution To GOP Wins

This is the kind of data I’ve been waiting to see…

According to CNN, 31% of self-identified gay voters supported Republican candidates for the U.S. House. This number is a dramatic increase from the 19% GOP House candidates won among gay voters in 2008. “Exit polling makes it clear gay voters played an important role in bringing conservative leadership to Congress,” said Jimmy LaSalvia, Executive Director of GOProud, the only national organization representing gay conservatives and their allies. “It also proves something we have been saying for months now – that the Tea Party’s message of limiting government is something that appeals to many gay Americans.”

That my friends, is a huge shift.  It also marks a high water mark of self-identified gays voting for GOP as I believe McCain got 27% in 2008 and Bush got 24% in 2004 (don’t quote me on those numbers, I’m using my memory).

How will the professional Gay Leftists handle the fact that one-third of the gays & lesbians in America vote conservative?   For example, will they back off of their position of abortions-for-all when genetic advances are leading to the days of selective aborting gays & lesbians before they are born?

And that’s just one issue where the Gay Progressive radicals are on the wrong side of 60% of America and 30% of gays & lesbian Americans.  What does this say about gay America’s eroding support of President Obama?

Will anything change among the Gay Street crowd?  Doubtful.  They are bought & paid for by the Democrats and George Soros-funded organizations.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. So what’s the biggest difference between 2008 and 2010? GOProud was established in 2009! (wink)

Comment by Jimmy — November 4, 2010 @ 12:09 pm - November 4, 2010

2. That’s good news. FWIW, I also remember 24% as the Bush number in 2004.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 4, 2010 @ 12:13 pm - November 4, 2010

3. These numbers are very telling and in line with what I observed this year anecdotally in my own life and the lives of GLBT friends struggling to make it. The thing is, BOTH parties court damage if they choose to ignore those numbers.

I’ve said this on another thread, but it bears repeating that at the risk of dabbling in “Identity Politics”, I think it is more beneficial than not for GOProud and other similar organizations to seek out qualified out and proud conservatives to run on the Tea Party or Republican ticket for offices and beat HRSneeze at their own game. A line of communication could be opened with The Victory Fund assuming that organization has enough open-minded folks running it.

I advocate this approach not to perpetuate long term Identity Politics but to desensitize them sooner. Now that Obama has been president, it will be much more difficult to throw around The Race Card. And when Sarah Palin is president in 2013, many arguments from the far-Left feminist groups will be neutralized. As long as gay Americans like myself can be confident that candidates who share our views will be supported by GOProud and other organizations, then we can take steps to end the days of the Barney Franks of the world controlling the dialogue and having the unchallenged ear of the GLBT population.

Comment by PopArt — November 4, 2010 @ 12:51 pm - November 4, 2010

4. [...] more gay voters chose Republicans this year than in 2008. 31% of self-identified gay voters supported Republican candidates for the [...]

Pingback by Gateway Pundit — November 4, 2010 @ 1:29 pm - November 4, 2010

5. This is really great. I read your column daily. I am, for lack of a better word straight, however I’m really pleased at this good news. I really enjoy your blog.

Comment by Marcie McCarty — November 4, 2010 @ 1:44 pm - November 4, 2010

6. Is it possible that some of those who switched were small business owners who have been hurt by the Democrat´s policies? Maybe they´re seeing the light.

Comment by Roberto — November 4, 2010 @ 2:16 pm - November 4, 2010

7. I believe McCain got 27% in 2008 and Bush got 24% in 2004 (don’t quote me on those numbers, I’m using my memory).

Hmmm, my memory has Bush winning much higher than that — at least in 2000. I may be crazy, but I thought I remembered it being above 30% back then.

Comment by American Elephant — November 4, 2010 @ 4:41 pm - November 4, 2010

8. 1: Obama took office and scared the crap out of enough people on spending, combined with outright betrayal on issues like DADT repeal. The GOP would be stupid to think that gays and even straight Independents have become good little Republicans now.

Comment by John — November 4, 2010 @ 5:27 pm - November 4, 2010

9. My experience tells me those who still go Dem are probably terminal – my GLBT social circle is despondent over the FL results – this circle includes committed couples who would marry when the opportunity allows, business owners, real estate professionals – people who’ve been screwed over the past 2-4 years – lamenting Rubio, Scott, and the rest of our outcomes.

To a person, were also oblivious to W’s legislation in 2008 allowing tax-free inheritance for non-married retirement accounts. . .

Comment by Jax Dancer — November 4, 2010 @ 6:10 pm - November 4, 2010

10. Bruce, I’m linking this to my facebook page. This is just the kind of thing that wil really, I mean REALLY, piss off my uber-liberal little brother!

Comment by Sonicfrog — November 4, 2010 @ 6:34 pm - November 4, 2010

11. Bruce, this CNN exit poll puts the Bush 2004 number at 23%: http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/US/P/00/epolls.0.html

Close enough! :-) 24% could easily have been the number that they reported widely in some earlier version.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 4, 2010 @ 6:49 pm - November 4, 2010

12. (And CNN implies that his 2000 number was 25%)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 4, 2010 @ 6:52 pm - November 4, 2010

13. In private conversation, I find many of my friends in “the community” to be much more conservative than the stereotype suggests. I don’t doubt some of them voted predominantly Republican this time — though they might not want to admit that to everybody.

If a quarter to a third of us will admit to voting Republican already, it can’t take too much to get more of us to turn in that direction in the future. If, of course, they can be detached from the Hive…

Comment by Lori Heine — November 4, 2010 @ 10:01 pm - November 4, 2010

14. [...] Gay Americans Made Important Contribution To GOP Wins [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » MSM Takes Note that Gay Voters Not Dem Monolith — November 5, 2010 @ 12:44 am - November 5, 2010

15. [...] Gay Americans Made Important Contribution To GOP Wins [...]

16. [...] One of the reasons there’s no chance of a Republican Congress repealing the ban is that the various gay groups in Washington have spent little time reaching out to the incoming House majority.   And Republicans have nothing to gain politically by voting for the ban.  (Perhaps that may change now that they realize gay voters aren’t beholden to the Democrats.) [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Memo to Senate: Pay Heed to Defense Secretary — November 7, 2010 @ 2:54 pm - November 7, 2010

17. Good numbers! I think that with Independents shifting from Democrat to Republican for this election, there is a pretty diverse group of people who helped elect Republicans that are going to be watched like hawks and held accountable. I’m very glad that includes a good number of GLBT’s.

I have a theory that now is a very good time for the GLBT community to make some inroads into changing the hearts and minds of Republicans and conservatives in general. Make alliances, stress common ideologies, show the conservative base of the party that they have much more in common than not, that fiscal conservatives in the GLBT community are not a threat to the party, etc.

Comment by akw — November 9, 2010 @ 5:32 am - November 9, 2010