MSM Takes Note that Gay Voters Not Democrat Monolith

In analyzing the gay vote in the 2010 elections (that Bruce blogged about here), the Washington Post’s Jonathan Capehart almost sort of gets it:

If you want more data that gay men and lesbians are pretty much just like everyone else — worried about the economy, freaked out about the direction of the country and perhaps ticked at the slow pace of change with regard to their civil rights — get a load of this exit poll result.

Well, not entirely.  I’m still trying to figure out what he means about civil rights.  If the issue were civil rights, we already have them.

Of course, I was being sarcastic in the first sentence in the previous paragraph; I know what he means, but if we understand the term before it was politicized, well gay people have long had those rights.  Government, as Thomas Jefferson understood, does not give us rights.  It is our Creator who endows us with them.

Government, however, can take them away.  And governments, at least here in the United States, have not prevented us from living in civil society, assembling free, speaking out publicly and voting.  Yes, I know that many gay activists are upset that Congress has not acted on certain legislation near and dear to their hearts — and two bills I believe they should act on, but those bills are CRINO (Civil Rights In Name Only).

That said, it’s nice to see the mainstream media, albeit only in one of their blogs, start paying attention to the fact that gay people have the same concerns as other Americans.   Capehart notes that some (probably including himself) might find the 31% of the gay vote Republicans drew as “amazing, especially when you consider that way too many people think being gay and voting Democratic are one in the same.”

But, it’s only amazing to those who live in a Beltway cocoon and/or learn about gay people from the press releases and public statements of HRC and other such groups — as well as their echo chamber in newspapers like his.

That he takes commentary from GOProud Jimmy LaSalvia does show that he’s willing to disabuse himself of some of his Betlway prejudices about gay voting behavior.

One more thing.  I wonder if more people voted Republican than the polls suggested, given that many gay people who support the GOP don’t advertise their partisan inclination for fear of earning the ire and/or indignation of their politicized peers.  (That is, some gay people who vote Republican would refuse to take the surveys of exit pollsters.)

NB:  Fixed an egregious error in this.

1. I am a 41 yo lesbian who is getting more conservative every day but until the GOP fixes their platform re: SSM and DADT, a queer voting for a Republican is like a chicken voting for the Colonel.

Comment by BeeCharmer — November 5, 2010 @ 3:23 pm - November 5, 2010

2. “…a queer voting for a Republican is like a chicken voting for the Colonel.”

So we don’t need a strong national defense, or the rule of law, or any protection for the foundation underlying our freedoms? What you’re saying is absolutely insane. We don’t need jobs…a functioning economy?

Interesting what your tune will be if the Dhimmicrats succeed in bringing hundreds of thousands of immigrants from the Middle East and pandering to their desire to throw us in prison or kill us.

I’d take Colonel Sanders over Satan any day.

Comment by Lori Heine — November 5, 2010 @ 4:50 pm - November 5, 2010

3. @Beecharmer

Not to mention the fact that the Dems have done sooooo much in the way of DADT(they instituted it), and SSM. They tried to repeal DADT in a defense appropriations bill. If they were so serious about it, why didn’t they do it individually in it’s own bill?

Also as an evangelical, conservative Christian- I just wanted to thank Jerome. I thought that I was commanded to respect all as equals, and to love everyone as brothers/sisters–Apparently that’s not true.

Apparently my platform is to hate gays and want to kill them or something….

I think Jerome lives as a parody, and is afraid of a parody….

Comment by melle1228 — November 5, 2010 @ 4:57 pm - November 5, 2010

4. his is the “God hates fag” crowd on here, not any actual gay Republicans.

Soooooo…..we’re democrats now? So much flip-flopping going on it’s hard to follow. These ass clowns are worse than Charlie Crist, if you can imagine that.

As I’ve said before: I’ve worked in and around and with the patients of about 30 hospitals in the Houston area and one hospital here in Lakeland. I have NEVER seen any visitor prevented from being with a patient except the few that clearly wanted to do harm. I have NEVER even seen a hospital that strictly enforces their visiting hours. Even in the ICU where visitors are usually limited to two at a time, I’ve seen 6-8 visitors at a time before.

Further, I have to wonder why Gay Inc. can never point to any examples of this or any particular hospital policies that allegedly ban gay visitors. The only evidence I’ve seen is two or three anectdotal examples. Besides, didn’t Chairman Obama pass a law regarding this?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — November 5, 2010 @ 4:58 pm - November 5, 2010

5. >>and I was personally barred from attending the church where my own child was being eulogized just because I was openly gay.”

Jerome, If this happened to you then this was heinous & this shouldn’t have happened to you from a Christian standpoint(I assume it was Christian as you state it was a Church). As a military wife for 19 years, I have had the privilege of going to many different churches in different areas of the country, and no matter how conservative on gay issues; I don’t know any of them who would have done this to a grieving father- gay or not.

From a government standpoint, the church has a right to decide who attends it’s services. Just as you as a parent had a right not to have your child eulogized in a church who wouldn’t accept a grieving father into to the church. Your bone of contention is more with who chose that church than with the church itself.

Comment by melle1228 — November 5, 2010 @ 5:22 pm - November 5, 2010

6. Out of curiosity, where’s the gay left on the recent spate of firefighter suicides in Pheonix? Was it ultra-rightwingconservativeChrisitantalibanal-qaidaoogieboogiemen who were responsible? Or maybe it was the homophobojoosmormonoogieboogiemen?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — November 5, 2010 @ 6:43 pm - November 5, 2010

7. @ThatGayConservative

I think because that doesn’t fit into their narrative.

I honestly think that by highlighting this bullying problem and trying to make it a “gay” problem; they are doing a disservice to children and their parents.

A lot of parents of gay children don’t have an adult gay mentor that they can turn to help with their children, so they are flying blind with this issue. Not to mention the fact that EVERYONE is bullied sometime in their life, especially children who are different. I think that is how these parents should broach it with these kids. I think if you highlight the actual difference too much, children will internalize that the difference is their fault. It’s not right, and it’s not logical, but it happens with children. You really have to make it more about the bully and their insecurity and how they are scared of difference and take the onus off the child who is being bullied. This is just my two cents worth. I have a twelve year old son who is bullied mercilessly, and I am still not certain isn’t gay. The only thing I can do is love him, and tell him that I love him unconditionally- no matter if he turns out to be gay, a non-Christian or even(shutter) a democrat.

Comment by melle1228 — November 5, 2010 @ 7:16 pm - November 5, 2010

8. TGC, I live in Phoenix, and I am usually pretty aware of local events, but I have never heard of any recent spike in firefighter suicides.

Personally, I blame all those Martians. (Remember the “Phoenix Lights” story from a few years ago?)

Comment by Lori Heine — November 5, 2010 @ 7:53 pm - November 5, 2010

9. Evidently, Lori, firefighter suicides just aren’t as “sexy” as pushing a narrative that gay kids are committing suicide because of Christians. If the deaths can be exploited to push an agenda, you would have heard about it by now. If they cared, or wanted to pretend to care, I’m sure liberals could find a way to exploit this.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — November 5, 2010 @ 8:24 pm - November 5, 2010

10. he took a photo of a naked child and then posted it for the purpose of making anti-gay “jokes” (attacks)

He must be using the term “child” in the ObamaCare Democrat “Everyone under the age of 26 is a child” sense.

Today I posted pictures of a bunch of fugly feministas and some blow up dolls. Have one of your dueling personalities analyse that!

Comment by V the K — November 5, 2010 @ 10:27 pm - November 5, 2010

11. TGC, when I Google this topic a couple of articles do come up. I find it very odd that nothing has made the local news about it. Here in Arizona, I don’t think whether liberals are able to make something out of it to push their agenda is much of a concern. Maybe that has changed.

Comment by Lori Heine — November 5, 2010 @ 10:44 pm - November 5, 2010

12. I’d like to point out the REPORTED attack on the gay man occurred in CA Congressional District 53: overwhelmingly Democrat and only 51.1% Caucasian; not the hotbed of Whitey-Republ-Christi-hate-o-phobes we’ve been told is the source of such actions and attitudes.

Comment by rodney — November 6, 2010 @ 12:20 pm - November 6, 2010

13. Jerome,

Goodness, where did you get all that nonsense? Homosexuals weren’t burned at the stake – heretics were. This is not to say that burning heretics is right (though, if you think about it, if people hadn’t got all bleeding heart about it, you never would have had to deal with the likes of Jerry Fallwell), but we should be at least accurate in our views.

The Christian opposition to homosexuality – and it was quite ferocious in the past – was based upon a complete rejection of what was going on in the late Roman Empire in matters sexual. A civilization was dying as a result of unbridled lust – rising Christianity affirmed that life is good, and children are a blessing, and went at all influences against these things, hammer and tongs. We still affirm that life is good and children are a blessing, but we understand better, now, that it isn’t our business to dictate to people what they will do in their private relations.

There is no Christian bogey living under your bed, waiting for the chance to imprison and kill you. What I, as a Christian, want is for you and I to be together in the life of the world to come, where we both laugh at our old fears. There is, in the view of a Christian, only one way to get there, and that Judge will decide whether or not you and I will enter in to the Joy in spite of our sins (you have yours, I have mine – yours might be different from mine, but both sets of sins have to be forgiven). What must be kept clearly in mind by any homosexual who wishes to live free is that it is only among the Christians that you will be able to do so – anyone who is not Christian will eventually destroy you, or allow others to destroy you out of fear for the oppressor.

Comment by Mark Noonan — November 6, 2010 @ 3:32 pm - November 6, 2010

14. I’d also point out, as do their local papers/websites, his original report of the crime included NO ‘gay slurs’ and there are no witnesses to said sounds or words, only to “someone screaming.”

And I would also point out that California HAS the “hate-crimes laws” that writerJerome shrieks, quote, “halt these all-too-common tragedies”.

So either this isn’t a “hate crime” or writerJerome is lying and such laws do nothing to prevent “hate crimes”.

When you realize how much of an incompetent liar writerJerome is, you can understand why he was fired from his job. Of course, to him, the fact that he was incompetent and lied to his boss and coworkers should have been overlooked because he’s gay.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — November 6, 2010 @ 5:03 pm - November 6, 2010

15. “So either this isn’t a ‘hate crime’ or writerJerome is lying and such laws do nothing to prevent ‘hate crimes’.”

Right on, NDT. And the reason the violent crime rate nationwide has gotten so out-of-control in the first place is directly attributable to the way Leftists like Jerome and equality4all insist that criminals be coddled.

We’re no longer allowed to look at the crime, recognize that it is heinous, and weigh the evidence to reach a just verdict. Now it’s all about what the mutants were feeling, how many hugs they got as children, etc.

This is the very environment from which those who commit “hate crimes” derive their own sense of victimhood. But thanks to hate crimes legislation, we’re all enrolled in the victimhood sweepstakes.

Unless we’re white heterosexual males. It still seems to be okay to hate them.

Comment by Lori Heine — November 6, 2010 @ 6:47 pm - November 6, 2010

16. […] I Don’t Think the Gay Leadership Will Pay Attention, writes Bruce Carroll at Gay Patriot: “Will anything change among the Gay Street crowd?  Doubtful.  They are […]

Pingback by Why Are More Gay People Voting Republican? | The Hive Daily – Raw. Unfiltered. Fearless — November 7, 2010 @ 1:04 am - November 7, 2010

17. Hey Lori,

As a card carrying Mutant, I’m offended by your statement. 😉

Comment by The_Livewire — November 7, 2010 @ 1:20 pm - November 7, 2010

18. Livewire, actually I plagiarized the term “mutant.” I frequent a blog called Alphecca, and the term is used often there.

There are some nice mutants, I’m sure. It may depend on their planet of origin.

Comment by Lori Heine — November 7, 2010 @ 8:22 pm - November 7, 2010

19. People: Stop living in the past.

God. My generation already has to clean up enough messes, from the older generations squabbling over past wrongs.

I’m sorry, but we don’t live in 1960 and the old rules just don’t apply. History is not doomed to repeat itself; people don’t care if the past says they should do something, they’ll do what they think best regardless.

Progress means letting go of the past. Plenty of religious people accept gays; history doesn’t matter when it comes to this sort of thing.

The social conservatives can just go f**k themselves. They’re rapidly losing out. The mid-200s anti gay marriage wave was noting more then a temporary blip.

Comment by joeedh — November 10, 2010 @ 11:44 pm - November 10, 2010

20. and for the next person who says “ignorance”, go look up “np-complete” then tell me how “enlightened” and “reason-minded” you are.

if you can’t figure out how that relates to anything, you aren’t as scientifically-minded as you think you are. Here’s a hint: it’s related to “correlation does not equate causation” in statistics.

Comment by joeedh — November 10, 2010 @ 11:48 pm - November 10, 2010