The “Virginia Plan” Takes Effect (thanks to GOProud)

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 8:18 pm - November 10, 2010.
Filed under: 2010 Elections,Conservative Ideas

At its August 1998 national “convention” in Dallas, Texas, the leadership of Log Cabin was preparing to announce a new strategy in preparation for the 200 elections. Eager to participate in that discussion, I wrote the first (of what would become three) “Virginia Plans” where the club I then led, the Log Cabin Republican Club of Northern Virginia, would present our views of the direction, we believed, the organization should take.

Alas that there was no forum at that conclave where clubs could present their views, but my club, in voting to ratify the document, had also voted the resources to photocopy it, so I distributed it and received much positive feedback. In the following months, I would write the two remaining plans.

Thinking about those plans in the wake of an election where the victorious GOP largely ignored gay issues, I re-read them and found that much of what our club had recommended back then, GOProud was promoting in the current cycle, notably this (from the first plan):

Many of us have joined the party of Abraham Lincoln, Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan because we believe that government is growing out of control. We favor a smaller government which, we believe, would better protect our freedom. It is the Republican Party which has long championed individual rights. It is our party which champions economic freedom and the free enterprise system. And it is our party which favors a sensible foreign policy and a defense strong enough to protect our legitimate national interests and so better guarantee freedom within our borders.

As soon as I figure out how to post .pdfs, I will do so, making these plans accessible to all.

1. Cool :-)

I love the feeling of stumbling across old stuff and finding I was headed down the right track, years ago.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 10, 2010 @ 9:10 pm - November 10, 2010

2. I think http://www.Scribd.com is what you want. Other than that, I think the easiest would be copy & paste.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — November 10, 2010 @ 10:52 pm - November 10, 2010

3. You can embed PDFs by signing up for services like Scribd.com, which is free.

Comment by Cynthia Yockey, A Conservative Lesbian — November 11, 2010 @ 10:37 am - November 11, 2010

4. Yes the republicans champion individual rights…the right to limit the individual rights of those who aren’t white/straight/Christians/males.

And by all means, attempt to prove me wrong.

Comment by Dooms — November 11, 2010 @ 12:59 pm - November 11, 2010

5. Um, Dooms, you’re making a statement, so provide your evidence.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — November 11, 2010 @ 1:09 pm - November 11, 2010

6. Yes the republicans champion individual rights…the right to limit the individual rights of those who aren’t white/straight/Christians/males.

Liberals champion the suppression of dissent by censorship, eugenics and extermination.

And by all means, attempt to prove me wrong, sweetheart.

Comment by Eric in Chicago — November 11, 2010 @ 1:30 pm - November 11, 2010

7. It’s simple, think of these issues: DADT, DOMA, ENDA, The Matthew Sheppard Act, overall attempts at providing help for gay youth, overall attempts at helping gays combat bigotry and hate.

Now make two columns, on one side write “Fought in favor of gays” and on the other “Fought against gays”, then place each item on their respective sides.

Paints a very clear picture.

Comment by Dooms — November 11, 2010 @ 2:49 pm - November 11, 2010

8. #7: Would someone PLEASE school Dooms on how grossly misinformed he/she is. I would do it, but I gotta run…

Comment by Sean A — November 11, 2010 @ 2:52 pm - November 11, 2010

9. Dooms, I fail to see how failing to support schemes to increase government’s role in our lives means limiting our rights. Please read the Declaration of Independence, rights don’t come from government.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — November 11, 2010 @ 3:00 pm - November 11, 2010

10. Right…so you are for DADT, DOMA, ENDA, the fact that anti-gay abuse of children is not considered child abuse, and the plethora of other issues?

Why is it so hard for you people to understand that these people hate you. Christian fundamentalists hate you just as much as Muslim fundamentalists. One party sides with the Fundamentalists (there is much more in common with Muslim/Christian fundamentalists than they would like to admit), while the other has many people in power working WITH our community to help make things better, NOT worse.

I guess it was wrong for the government to intervene with the civil rights act as well…

Comment by Dooms — November 11, 2010 @ 3:16 pm - November 11, 2010

11. to Dooms…..

I have yet to figure out why liberals believe if you’re gay, it automatically gives conservatives ammunition to use against you….. I’ve yet to experience anything like that… I’ve been a registered Republican and voted the same for over 34 years now.

I was a Precinct Captain and I’m now a sitting member of the Republican Executive Committee in my state. I’ve worked on several campaigns and have even been privileged to represent my party as a visible partisan ensuring the integrity of the electoral process at the polls for the past 15 years.

If ever my being a homosexual was a factor politically, I can’t recall ever hearing so… Well at least not from any conservative I know. Seems the only time my sexual proclivities have ever mattered politically, is when a Liberal wants to make an issue of them.

Comment by Spartann — November 11, 2010 @ 3:19 pm - November 11, 2010

12. Well Spartann, you my friend are the exception, not the rule. I can say this because in my fields I am privy to see and experience things that most people don’t.

Hey! Did you know Uganda is a “Christian” Nation and is visited often by American Evangelical leaders? Just thought you might want to know that.

Comment by Dooms — November 11, 2010 @ 3:30 pm - November 11, 2010

13. 7.It’s simple, think of these issues:

DADT

Which has discharged a ridiculously small number of soldiers compared to the total military, and I’d bet that a good number of those either wanted a discharge or were involved in improper conduct regardless of orientation. Besides, do you really think that gays in the Castro or Village are all flag-waving types eager to sign up, that gay left activists and Lady Gaga really care about the readiness of the army as a whole, or that there won’t be either homophobic or sexual tension issues with gays serving openly?

DADT is more complicated then the black and white morality play the gay left has made it out to be.

DOMA

Which was, A: was voted in favor of by a majority of Democrats in both houses and signed by Clinton, who bragged that he was “preserving the nation’s values” by doing so in campaign ads, and B: not as big a tragedy as it might seem, given that many heterosexual seniors are entering state-based domestic partnerships because they’re not federally recognized, regarding Social Security and its conditions.

ENDA

1: ENDA is in many cases redundant due to more and more companies already providing nondiscrimination laws. 2: ENDA may cause as many problems as it may solve, because it would become harder to fire a gay employee for legitimate reasons for fear of a lawsuit. 3: If employment discrimination truly was rampant, gay rights leaders wouldn’t be encouraging the defeat of the bill just because it wasn’t trans-inclusive-nor would they be pushing a provision for a minor element of the “LGBT” community that could hurt the bill’s passage chances in the first place.

The Matthew Sheppard Act

A piece of useless fluff that was just passed to throw Gay, Inc a bone.

overall attempts at providing help for gay youth

When you look at the money going to help truly troubled gay youth vs. the money going to useless campaigns, the difference is staggering.

overall attempts at helping gays combat bigotry and hate.

Let’s see:

1: Beating on Mormons who admittedly did a lot of fundraising for Prop 8 instead of on the minorities who did the actual voting, just because the Mormons are white and easy, safe targets. Forget about the fact that the Mormon vote was crucial in preventing an Colorado Amendment 2-esque antigay amendment from being passed in Idaho in 1994, and that Orrin Hatch fought tooth and nail for AIDs funding in the 80s.

2: Screaming at every gay voter who is the least bit right wing, and denouncing them as an evil, vile, self-hating traitor. This goes double for presidential campaign managers and vice presidential children.

3: Treating everyone against gay marriage as bigoted and wrong-unless they’re a Democratic politician.

Is that combating bigotry and hate or encouraging it?

Neither party has the best record with gays, but it’s certainly not a morality play. After all, which party’s president signed DADT and the DOMA into law, and which party’s president signed a bill enabling same-sex partners to receive pension benefits?

Comment by NYAlly — November 11, 2010 @ 3:41 pm - November 11, 2010

14. Even in my own personal experience the fact that I am gay has been an issue for those on the more conservative side. I was bullied in high school in a pretty conservative suburb, I was made to feel it was my fault. Even after an attempted bashing I was made to feel as if I had done something to deserve it. If you choose not to see the pattern of involvement with conservationism, religious fundamentalists, and gay hate thats fine, but don’t attempt to tell everyone else it does not exist.

And in my high school, I heard kids bash Bush with one breath and make homophobic remarks the next. There are also gay-bashings in San Francisco, New York City, and Los Angeles-those horrible places filled with religious fundamentalists!

Did you know that in other African states, homosexuality is also punishable by death, but that the Gay Left is only interested in something that can be blamed on Western religious conservatives twisting the Noble Savages (not).

Comment by NYAlly — November 11, 2010 @ 3:45 pm - November 11, 2010

15. No party has the best record with gays? No party has the best record with anyone, but one is actively seeking to limit our rights.

And for the other African nations, we should be reversing the mistakes caused by our actions (or inaction, as is the case in things like Rwanda and Darfur) first.

Comment by Dooms — November 11, 2010 @ 4:33 pm - November 11, 2010

16. I’ll give you the same challenge I gave others, Find where you have a right to have your marriage recognized by the constitution, Now find where straight people have the right,

I won’t hold my breath Dooms, because you’re too blinded by talking points to think,

Comment by The_Livewire — November 11, 2010 @ 5:27 pm - November 11, 2010

17. Doom @ #12> “Well Spartann, you my friend are the exception, not the rule. I can say this because in my fields I am privy to see and experience things that most people don’t.”

I don’t know what field you’re standing in, Dooms, but my experience concurs with Spartaan’s. I’ve been active in GOP politics since early 1974 and haven’t once run into a single adverse or sneering comment about my lifestyle from any political peer –and I was very active and out front in opposing my state’s 2004 ballot initiative to ban gay marriage. I’m in DC on the hill 5-6 times each month. I’m active in political campaigns –retail and wholesale.

Even then and after all of that, I haven’t run into a single instance of a GOPer or conservative running me down because I was gay, partnered, or the father of 3 sons. The only place I’ve been abused verbally is on gayLeft blogs like Box Turtle and others. And once or twice by Mike Rogers of AmericaBlog fame.

Where I do get grief –and a lot of it (besides here on GP for my intemperate moderate political beliefs) is from my gayLeft and gayDemocrat brethren here in Ann Arbor… whether it’s on gay activism in the city, on the campus, at political events, etc. MM-partner and I host an annual picnic for gay parents and families each year and I still run into gay activists there who can’t resist taking a potshot or two at my GOP’ness. I usually laugh; in past years I asked them to leave when it got uncomfortable and untoward the event’s goal.

But what I’ve found is great tolerance from within my GOP community -locally, state wide, regionally and nationally- and very little tolerance from left gays who style themselves as civil rights activists.

If someone inside the GOP community here advanced a petition to ban gay adoptions, I’d address the policy issues directly and use my personal experience to help allay their fears/concerns. If they didn’t agree, I’d work to see the policy crushed on the merits. I think my gay brethren on the Left would counter attack and try to defund any church related social service agency that didn’t support gay adoption –but, I’d fight that attack as well since I think those church groups have a preemptive right on that score.

I think you’re wrong about the singular nature of Spartaan’s experience. I hope my testimony helps you understand where I’ve found the greater intolerance… within the gay community, not the GOP.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — November 11, 2010 @ 5:39 pm - November 11, 2010

18. Find in the constitution where one group of people have the right to use a book of fairy tales to govern over the rest of us.

Just saying.

Comment by Dooms — November 11, 2010 @ 5:43 pm - November 11, 2010

19. Mitchell Matt. I have been active in GOP politiics since 1952 when Ike was running for president, and I never heard any adverse or seering comments either.

Comment by John W — November 11, 2010 @ 9:02 pm - November 11, 2010

20. sorry that should be sneering…

Comment by John W — November 11, 2010 @ 9:03 pm - November 11, 2010

21. “Please read the Declaration of Independence, rights don’t come from government.”

Rights are not self executing. Regardless where they come from, Doom’s question/assertion in which party is more likely to enforce them. No one here has, or can, dispute Doom’s primary point.

Comment by brendan — November 11, 2010 @ 9:50 pm - November 11, 2010

22. I have to object to ‘Dooms’ entire set of statements. I am moved to use the following circuitous logic:

The Democratic Party contains more African Americans than any other political party in the US (according to the DNC). Democrats make up the majority of California’s registered voters (according to the Registrar of Voters). Proposition 8 was passed in California 52.24% to 47.76% (CA Registrar of Voters). According to NEP’s (National Election Pool) exit polling, 70% of African Americans supported prop 8.

SO DOOMS, lets see, which party did you say was actively trying to oppress us again? I seem to be confused. You might try to stop blaming people for a moment and consider that while the ‘Rights’ hands are dirty, the ‘Lefts’ are down right bloody.

Comment by Patrick C. — November 11, 2010 @ 9:55 pm - November 11, 2010

23. To Dooms and Brendan;
    The DNC and the organized ‘Left’ have told us (and you) for generations that being black is a handicap, being gay is a handicap, being handicapped is a handicap towards equal and free participation in society. We are taught in school that only Straight White Men have any power or rights in our society.

The GOP and the organized ‘Right’ tell us that individual merit and achievement is all that matters. Your color, creed, and background are immaterial compared to your personal drive.

In short, find me one example of a piece of legislation from your beloved Left that celebrates achievement rather than victimization and we might consider your point of view as valid.

Remember, you cannot legislate morality and you cannot legislate decency.

Comment by Patrick C. — November 11, 2010 @ 10:08 pm - November 11, 2010

24. Find in the constitution where one group of people have the right to use a book of fairy tales to govern over the rest of us.

Right here, where your Obama makes it clear that he totally uses that book of fairy tales to govern over us.

And right here where your Michelle Obama makes it clear that she thinks it necessary to pray to those fairies to protect her and her family.

Incidentally, everyone, as Dooms runs away, leaving a yellow and brown trail behind him, those are two of the best things to throw at lefties. They have one of two choices — either admit their god-king and his concubine are pathological liars, or that they actually believe in fairies and thus are irrational, moronic, theocratic idiots like they say every other fairy-believer is.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — November 11, 2010 @ 10:12 pm - November 11, 2010

25. I was bullied in high school in a pretty conservative suburb, I was made to feel it was my fault.

This is so entertainingly typical; no matter what actually happened, gays and lesbians like Dooms blame “homophobia” for all of their problems.

The reality looks more like this: gays and lesbians like Dooms shriek “homophobia” when they’re investigated and punished/fired at their jobs, only to have it come out that they were sexually harassing and demanding sex from their coworkers.

Just like when they dress toddlers up as sex slaves and take them to sex fairs — if you oppose doing that, you are homophobic and “close-minded”, and are against “gay rights”

To perverts like Dooms and Brendan, the behavior and character are irrelevant. They are GAY, and therefore they have the “right” to do whatever they want based on their sexual orientation. Anyone who doesn’t believe that is a “homophobe” and opposes “gay rights”.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — November 11, 2010 @ 10:21 pm - November 11, 2010

26. Wait…so somehow being bullied in highschool somehow turned me into a pervert who dresses up toddlers as sex slaves?

That my friend will wind you a gold in the gymnastics division of the mental Olympics. Seriously, give yourself a hand.

That being said Brendan is still right, none of you can, or have disputed what I pointed out, and none of you will be able to. All you can do is cling to this idea that you aren’t hated and that homophobia isn’t real.

Anyone with any sort of background in social sciences knows the basics of being a minority in America and the effect it can have on your experiences. The way you guys put it however, no one is ever beaten and killed for being gay, no one is ever fired for being gay, no one is ever attacked for being black, singled out by cops for being black, denied a job for being black, etc,etc. According to you guys everything is just plain peachy and people whine to much.

That my friends sound like the words of those who twist their view of reality to fit a framed view of the world. Narrow minded and shallow.

Comment by Dooms — November 12, 2010 @ 4:23 am - November 12, 2010

27. “Wait…so somehow being bullied in highschool somehow turned me into a pervert who dresses up toddlers as sex slaves?”

Dooms haven’t you learned that it anyone who disagrees with the spittle that comes out of ND30′s mouth is a known pervert who dresses up children as sex slaves?

The “toddler as sex slave” trope is an ND30 favorite and it is just one sign of the Tourette’s syndrome that, sadly enough, remains untreatable despite the valiant efforts of multiple psychiatrists who have in despair given up all hope on ND30. At one time the goal for ND30 was a group home with high security, but his inability to stop throwing his feces at others put an end to that. Provided he takes all his medications, he is considered relatively harmless as he types out the same lines year after year in his padded room.

Comment by brendan — November 12, 2010 @ 5:12 am - November 12, 2010

28. In other words, yet another leftie can’t answer my question.

Of course Dooms also reveals that he doesn’t believe that murder, and theft are wrong, or that families matter. He also believes he should get away with stuff and not be punished as all those rules have origins in ‘faerie tale books’

As to Brendan’s little Declaration of Independence swipe. Unlike the President, I can quote it correctly. We are endowed by our creator with certain inalienable rights. Right to have the government recognize whatever you want to call a partnership isn’t among them.

Comment by The_Livewire — November 12, 2010 @ 6:33 am - November 12, 2010

29. Anyone with any sort of background in social sciences knows the basics of being a minority in America and the effect it can have on your experiences.

And anyone with any sort of grounding in reality knows that the only one who makes you a “minority” is you.

And you’re a lying, bigoted sack of shit because nobody said anything of the sort.

Now look at how the Obama DoJ has been rabidly defending DOMA and DADT in court and tell me how f*ing wonderful liberals are. Look at how Harry Reid kicked gays in the teeth a few weeks ago and tell me how wonderful liberals are.

You are a fabricated victim desperately in search of an oppressor. You’ve been lied to for a long time and you’ll be damned if you let anyone tell you anything that doesn’t conform to your world view. You’re a poor, pathetic soul and I truly feel sorry for you. Why not quit your bitching, grab your sack and grow up?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — November 12, 2010 @ 7:29 am - November 12, 2010

30. Dooms #18> “Find in the constitution where one group of people have the right to use a book of fairy tales to govern over the rest of us. Just saying.”

What, did you take Snark Grand Master classes with ILC?

John W, I think there are an awful lot of us who haven’t felt the scorn from conservatives or GOPers that our gayLeft brothers mark as their right of passage. I almost feel left out of something transformative… nah, not really.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — November 12, 2010 @ 8:59 am - November 12, 2010

31. to Dooms….

The idea that it’s up to everybody else to take care of everybody else – nobody’s gonna get anywhere doing that and that has never worked for overall prosperity, economic freedom or opportunity anywhere. It just doesn’t work. And it creates resentment, it promotes failure, sameness, lack of inspiration – it destroys the human spirit, liberalism, socialism, communism – it all, Marxism destroys the greatest things about humanity. And that’s ambition, dreaming, creativity, entrepreneurism, charity – you name it. It destroys all of that.

Comment by Spartann — November 12, 2010 @ 11:11 am - November 12, 2010

32. You guys must have grand social lives geez.

I tried understanding and reasoning with you people, instead when you find you can’t dispute me, you claim any gays who complain are work place rapists and pedophiles.

No really, bang up job guys, you are proving that even gays can be disillusioned bigots (to their own kind no less). When I’m out with my friends enjoying dinner, playing pool, and dancing I will be sure to thank each and every one of them for not being a self absorbed nutcase yearning for the simpler times that they were in the closet and trying to have anon hookups on craigslist :)

Comment by Dooms — November 12, 2010 @ 11:46 am - November 12, 2010

33. Shorter Dooms. I can’t refute any arguments presented to me, so I’m going to continue to whine about being a victim. Whaaaaaaaaaaa!

Comment by The_Livewire — November 12, 2010 @ 11:54 am - November 12, 2010

34. I tried understanding and reasoning with you people, instead when you find you can’t dispute me,

Because it’s all in your head.

you claim any gays who complain are work place rapists and pedophiles.

Bullshit again. Need to keep my shit kickers handy when Doop posts.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — November 12, 2010 @ 12:06 pm - November 12, 2010

35. I will be sure to thank each and every one of them for not being a self absorbed nutcase yearning for the simpler times that they were in the closet and trying to have anon hookups on craigslist

And now you segue from bullshit to babbling in one fell swoop.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — November 12, 2010 @ 12:08 pm - November 12, 2010

36. “You guys must have grand social lives geez.”

This line speaks volumes. The “progressivism” of people like Dooms is nothing but a fashion accessory. I’ve certainly known a lot of people who think like this — we’re all still twelve, and we want to make sure the cool kids will sit with us in the cafeteria, so we must adopt the “correct” political posture.

A posture is all it is. Strike a pose. Cop a ‘tude. Which is why, when challenged to actually think, they go off on a tantrum and spew crazy everywhere.

Those of us who have actually come to adulthood do have good social lives, Dooms, because we hang out with grownups instead of little kids. Some, like me, have the additional benefit of living in real America instead of a fakey, coastal blue state — giving us the opportunity to meet all sorts of people who have not lost their minds.

What sort of individual makes the statements we see from Dooms? An extraordinarily infantile one, that’s obvious.

Comment by Lori Heine — November 12, 2010 @ 12:44 pm - November 12, 2010

37. “After a Fellowship of Christian Students meeting, four girls and a boy surrounded her.”

Comment by Dooms — November 12, 2010 @ 1:00 pm - November 12, 2010

38. *yawn* More pablum from Dooms?

I’m still waiting for him to find the right to have his marriage recognized by the government in the constitution.

Comment by The_Livewire — November 12, 2010 @ 2:10 pm - November 12, 2010

39. Why is it that people like Dooms only see the bullies and nutcases when they look at a wide, varied, diverse faith like Christianity — a faith that is embraced by the majority of the population — instead of those who have risked their necks to stand up for us?

What sort of a message does it give to our allies in the churches — who are many, and continually growing in number — when the Dooms crowd tells them, in effect, “you don’t count. You don’t exist?”

“Thanks a lot for your help, for your love and your unfailing courage, people, but we refuse to recognize you. You might as well not bother.” That’s what it tells them. And then we wonder why there AREN’T more of them than there are.

Childish. Utterly irrational.

People like Dooms are birds of a feather with twisted and tortured souls like Seane-Anna, who doggedly refuse to recognize that gays can be Christian and conservative. Like her, Dooms can only clamp his hands over his years, sing “la-la-la…I can’t HEAR you!” and insist that we don’t exist, or that we must have some sinister and nefarious “agenda.”

This blog does attract the nutsies. I suppose that is one of its charms.

Comment by Lori Heine — November 12, 2010 @ 2:27 pm - November 12, 2010

40. What, did you take Snark Grand Master classes with ILC?

MM, more likely that Dooms took classes in whining and poo-flinging, from you. Keep it up ;-)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 13, 2010 @ 6:02 am - November 13, 2010

41. Why is it that people like Dooms only see the bullies and nutcases when they look at a wide, varied, diverse faith like Christianity

Lori, I have long suspected that such people don’t really believe in themselves. They don’t think they can make it without constant mirroring and affirmation from the “gay community” i.e. others who have made the same ideological and moral/lifestyle commitments. Anybody else (no matter how nice) who does not furnish that constant mirroring/affirmation, or whose outlook or way of life is different and would thus implicitly question their choices, becomes a threat – an enemy.

It isn’t just Christians. As Dan pointed out, Dooms started by suggesting that:

republicans [want to] to limit the individual rights of those who aren’t white/straight/Christians/males.

but, when asked for evidence, Dooms cited some examples where Republicans *defended* individual rights (by opposing tyrannous extensions of government power). Talk about confused! But you don’t have to be a Christian to oppose such violations of individual rights as hate crimes legislation and ENDA. You could be a secular conservative, a principled Jew, a libertarian, etc. I guess we are all enemies of “those who aren’t white/straight/Christians/males”, now!

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 13, 2010 @ 6:27 am - November 13, 2010

42. “After a Fellowship of Christian Students meeting, four girls and a boy surrounded her.”

Sorry, the page you requested could not be found.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — November 13, 2010 @ 10:22 pm - November 13, 2010

43. BTW, here’s DoomsDayAlpaca’s bio:

More of a brain than a jock,

Really, Dooms? Really?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — November 13, 2010 @ 10:25 pm - November 13, 2010

44. [...] in the spirit of the ideas this blog has been promoting for six year — and that I have been promoting for at last fifteen.  Social conservative Tea Party folk are also signing up: “When they were out in the Boston [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Memo to GOP: Ignore the Gays — November 15, 2010 @ 3:16 pm - November 15, 2010