Decision Points: The George W. Bush That The Media Didn’t Let You See

I’ve just begun to read President George W. Bush’s memoirs — Decision Points. I downloaded it on Kindle last night and haven’t been able to put it down.

I’ll discuss more later as I read more (I’m into the summer of 2000 campaign period now.)

But one takeaway already is that George W. Bush is smart, thoughtful, complex, honest, candid and not the cartoon the media liked to make him out to be.

Like or dislike him — this is required reading!

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

UPDATE (from Dan): I’ve also been reading the book, agree it’s difficult to put down and posted some initial reactions here and here.

1. Welcome to the madhouse Khepri,

Pull up a padded chair and get comfortable.

Comment by The_Livewire — November 16, 2010 @ 1:23 pm - November 16, 2010

2. Speaking of… where’s Levi? 🙂

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 16, 2010 @ 1:46 pm - November 16, 2010

3. Was that on-topic or off-topic poo-flinging from our GP echo chambered ILC monkey? ILC, you are unashamedly hypocritical — we couldn’t find a better tool if the GP community searched the entire NJ shore.

Let’s get back on topic, shall we ILC? And no, you don’t need a fresh handful of poo, you can leave the feces in your cage.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — November 16, 2010 @ 2:00 pm - November 16, 2010

4. MM, I’m just quoting your own advice back at you.

Stings you to know you’re a hypocrite… doesn’t it?

Once more: Your poo-flinging is never on topic. Never. It is something that is always, inherently off topic. Now, *when I see you start to follow your own advice* about staying on topic, then I might be impressed. Get it now?

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 16, 2010 @ 2:44 pm - November 16, 2010

5. (Or maybe it doesn’t sting you, MM. I couldn’t say, one way or the other, if you possess that much conscience.)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 16, 2010 @ 2:49 pm - November 16, 2010

6. Hey, ILC, let’s trying staying on-topic for at least a single thread… and if you can hazard it, try not playing the failed poo-flinging nonsense… I know you don’t like being held to account by your intellectual superior but with all the nonsense in this thread by you, honesty and truth demand someone do it.

Glad you’ve learned your lesson now. Try doing better; like Glenn Beck says, it’s the simple tasks we need to perfect. Glad to help you with politics, economics, historical interpretation or civics, as always.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — November 16, 2010 @ 5:39 pm - November 16, 2010

7. Sorry MM, now you’re flinging your poo at me instead of V the K – at least I diverted you in that way – but, you are still not following your own advice to stay on topic.

To help refresh your focus, the designated topic is:

Decision Points: The George W. Bush That The Media Didn’t Let You See

We’ve also gotten into some of the associated PuffHo / Levi hijinks.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 16, 2010 @ 5:58 pm - November 16, 2010

8. FWIW, I don’t “fling” anything at MM, but he seems to take it personally when I pointedly criticize the establishment GOP or express an opposing point of view.

Comment by V the K — November 16, 2010 @ 6:34 pm - November 16, 2010

9. V, agreed.

I think you understood the following point, but I just realized a potential grammatical ambiguity in what I said. I wish to eliminate the ambiguity, for the record. I meant (and should have typed) “Sorry MM, now you’re flinging your poo at me instead of *at* V the K…” In other words, MM started at #18 flinging his poo at you… now it’s been diverted to me… I have no problem with that, I was just noting it.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 16, 2010 @ 6:52 pm - November 16, 2010

10. Yeah, well, I live with three teenagers. You think I’m bothered by what anonymous people say about me in blog comments? My skin is like Kevlar.

Comment by V the K — November 16, 2010 @ 7:16 pm - November 16, 2010

11. For me, it’s slightly a practice. I don’t have teenagers (except as an uncle, a role where I almost always intereact positively with them). But I have known a poo-flinger or two in real life. MM’s behavior is a bit of practice for keeping the Kevlar.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 16, 2010 @ 7:28 pm - November 16, 2010

12. […] Decision Points: The George W. Bush That The Media Didn’t Let You See (gaypatriot.net) […]

Pingback by I’m Not Bald Yet « Dawn’s Blog — November 16, 2010 @ 9:20 pm - November 16, 2010

13. Perhaps if we read “Decision Points,” we can begin to reconsider those in power in their true light: as human beings. In our society, we have come to think of them as demigods and celebrities instead.

I don’t believe President Bush should be seen as anything other than a human being. I haven’t read his book yet, but I doubt he wants to be seen as anything else. The book seems to have developed in his desire to tell his side of the story. The interviews he has given thus far certainly suggest as much.

We are responsible for whom we elect. They are largely a reflection of our values and our concerns. President Bush held office at a very difficult time, and I disagree with many of the things he did. But he is a human being, and neither I nor anybody else has the right to expect divine perfection from him. It’s good that he’s written a book that reminds us he never expected us to see him as anything more than human.

This is, incidentally, why President Obama is now showing himself to be such a weakling. All he seems to want to do is snivel about the mess Bush made. We all made this mess together, and we all must get out of it together. Obama has done nothing, thus far, to show that he understands this.

“Your god failed you,” he seems to be saying. “So follow me instead.”

If we ceased to think of these people as gods in the first place, maybe the rhetoric of the Obamas of this world would have less effect.

Comment by Lori Heine — November 17, 2010 @ 2:07 pm - November 17, 2010

14. Lori, good comment! (As usual 😉 )

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 17, 2010 @ 2:37 pm - November 17, 2010