Palin-haters’ panties in bundle over teenager’s off-color comment

So obsessed have our media become with promoting their narrative that Sarah Palin is an out-of-touch socially backward loon that they’re now raising a ruckus over something her teenage daughter said on her Facebook page.  Let me repeat, they’re raising a ruckus over something her teenage daughter said on her Facebook page.  No, this is not something Sarah Palin said nor something her Dancing-with-the-Stars daughter said, but something her daughter who has not yet reached the age of maturity said.

A number of lefty bloggers have gotten their panties all in a bundle over the issue while conservative bloggers chuckle from the sidelines and wonder at the lefties’ obsession.  “This,” R.S. McCain reminds us, “is just how teenagers insult each other.”  Bob Owens feigns incredulity, asking if this is news.

As usual, our pal Tammy Bruce, this time in her role as Chair of the GOProud Advisory Council, adds a dose of common sense:

Willow Palin is a 16 year old girl who, like all 16 year olds is going to make mistakes and say things she shouldn’t have. This, however, has nothing to do with Willow Palin or the substance of what she said on Facebook. The ‘slur’ used here is one you could hear on the streets of West Hollywood or Chelsea every day of the week.  Apparently, it’s only a ‘homophobic slur’ when it comes from the daughter of a conservative female leader.  Make no mistake; this is all about destroying Sarah Palin by any means necessary.

The angry misogynistic left and their accomplices in the main stream media have been unable to take down Governor Palin – no matter how hard they have tried. Unable to take her down directly they now have decided to try to hurt her by attacking the most important thing in her life – her family.

Any person, gay or straight, who participates in this cheap political smear should be ashamed of themselves.

UPDATE: Seems Jon Stewart and I are on the same page:

“It’s Bristol Palin! She’s not running for anything. said Stewart, “She’s not doing anything wrong. If you don’t like how far she’s going, don’t watch the show.”

Also rounding out the Palin coverage yesterday was a report on Willow Palin’s controversial comments on her Facebook page.

“Stop making me feel sympathy for the Palins!” Stewart exclaimed, “It’s a 16-year-old kid’s Facebook page!”

“Kids are off-limits,” Stewart pronounced, “As a matter of fact, we should all go out of our way to treat her children with kid gloves and respect to show that we don’t judge individuals and mock them purely based on who their parents are.”

1. I think Palin is the new George W. Bush: A good and decent person, subjected to endless abuse from lefties who need someone to hate (and from the occasional Republican who ought to know better), who will one day be widely recognized for his personal courage and grace, even if he wasn’t always right about everything.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 17, 2010 @ 4:51 pm - November 17, 2010

2. Obviously, either none of these people have kids, or teach. If that’s the worst they’ve heard from a teenager, well… I don’t know what to say!

Comment by Sonicfrog — November 17, 2010 @ 5:04 pm - November 17, 2010

3. Funny how the “Patriots” insinuate that the word faggot is not really a slur. But calling them “teabaggers” is a slur.

I believe BOTH are slurs and they shouldn’t be used by ANYBODY in public discourse. However Dan and Ilk will try to find excuses for their partisan friends, even of the most ugliest of things.

Comment by JS — November 17, 2010 @ 5:16 pm - November 17, 2010

4. So if you are underage, republican, conservative, it is now OKAY for you to use the slur?

Hmm. Yet the “Patriots” cry fowl when liberals use the slur “teabagger”

I think they are both slurs and shouldn’t be used. Anybody making up excuses for them using it (including Dan and Tammy) is so low.

Comment by JS — November 17, 2010 @ 5:21 pm - November 17, 2010

5. And it is funny how they downplay this. Well Dan you are SO HYPOCRITICAL. I tried typing the slur (f***t) and the comment was rejected. It is okay for Willow to say it, but not for those on here. LOL. What a sad shadow you have become Dan.

For some reason the first comment I posted took a while to be posted. So this part is taken care of.

May bad.

The rest of my comment stands.

Comment by JS — November 17, 2010 @ 5:38 pm - November 17, 2010

6. Um, JS, where did I say it was okay to use the slur? I didn’t. I’m just saying it’s not a national issue when a teenager uses it.

The issue is not that she said it, but that Palin-haters’ are getting their panties in a bundle over it. You might have realized that had instead of being so eager to attack, you considered the title of the post to which you attached your comment.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — November 17, 2010 @ 5:41 pm - November 17, 2010

7. JS, good news! There is a South Park episode just for you: http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s13e12-the-f-word

Watch the whole thing.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 17, 2010 @ 6:03 pm - November 17, 2010

8. But gay progressives calling for the death of Bush & Cheney for 8 years was fine…

Progressives have no sense of morals, so therefore can’t make distinction between childish ranting versus death threats.

Ugh.

Comment by Bruce (GayPatriot) — November 17, 2010 @ 6:20 pm - November 17, 2010

9. After thinking about it, I need to raise my ante. Everyone who thinks “fag(got)” is bad, needs to watch the South Park that I linked. Seriously. It is a new era, especially for the young. Get over yourselves, all you Willow-whiners. As Dan points out, he hasn’t said it’s OK to use the word. But, for my part, I am.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 17, 2010 @ 6:24 pm - November 17, 2010

10. Feh,

Weren’t we told long ago that words change? gay no longer means just happy, queer no longer means just strange.

Celebrate diversity! faggot has a new meaning!. I find it queer that the left isn’t gaily enjoying this.

Comment by The_Livewire — November 17, 2010 @ 6:48 pm - November 17, 2010

11. […] Definitely NSFW. IYKWIMAITYD.UPDATE VIII: Thanks for the linkage from Republican Redefined and Gay Patriot.EXPECT FURTHER UPDATES . . . var addthis_product='wpp-250';var addthis_append_data='false';var […]

Pingback by Andrew Sullivan: Does the Phrase ‘And the Horse You Rode In On’ Ring a Bell? : The Other McCain — November 17, 2010 @ 6:59 pm - November 17, 2010

12. There really is no reason when using the F word in a derogatory manner, against gays or straights, is acceptable. Just cuz south park made some jokes about it doesn’t mean it’s ok. In fact it just points to the misguided efforts of minority groups trying to take back certain words. Black ppl using the N word or gays using the F word don’t make it any less offensive when it’s used in a derogatory manner. South Park was trying to say that it did, and it’s just not true.

But all this hoopla over this kid is just stupid. It’s a product of the hyper-partisian, social networking world we all unfortunately live in.

Comment by AJ — November 17, 2010 @ 7:19 pm - November 17, 2010

13. There really is no reason when using the F word in a derogatory manner, against gays or straights, is acceptable.

If you get upset because I call you a faggot, who is it that has a problem? Why give that much control of you over to somebody else?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — November 17, 2010 @ 7:55 pm - November 17, 2010

14. Double standards are wrong. But many of us don’t practice double standards. Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Green Party, whatever…that kind of language and behavior is wrong, and should be addressed, regardless of who did it.

I voted for John McCain because of Sarah Palin. I will be watching this one with interest.

Comment by GreenDragon — November 17, 2010 @ 8:03 pm - November 17, 2010

15. what if one of obama’s daughters took to facebook and derided one of her peers as “retarded”? would the conservative media and the gaypatriots be as complacent as they are with willow’s apparent homophobia?

Comment by Chad — November 17, 2010 @ 8:37 pm - November 17, 2010

16. Chad, fair point. If that happens, then call conservatives on the carpet for it. But until it does, you have no evidence to say both sides do it.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — November 17, 2010 @ 8:41 pm - November 17, 2010

17. willow’s apparent imagined (by hypersensitive people) homophobia

FIFY.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 17, 2010 @ 8:48 pm - November 17, 2010

18. 13,

I never said I get upset, I just said it wasn’t right. It’s a word meant to intimidate and affect a group of people. If it happened to me, depending on the situation, I’d probably just take it in stride, dismiss the person as ignorant and move on.

My dismissal of the matter wouldn’t make it right though. They’re still being an ignorant jerk, and I have a problem with that morally. Hearing someone call a Jewish person the K word wouldn’t affect me at all because I’m not Jewish, but it’s still wrong and I have a problem with that.

Even if the majority of society started using these words to try and diffuse their meaning, someone would continue to use the word in a hateful manner. When that instance arose it’d still be wrong, which is what it comes down to me, right and wrong, morality.

Comment by AJ — November 17, 2010 @ 8:53 pm - November 17, 2010

19. dan, what an odd response from you. you’ve written many many many posts about “media bias” with headlines like: “this would be news if a conservative said it” or “this wouldn’t be news if a liberal said it.” obviously, you can’t prove a negative, but the lack of evidence didn’t bother you at the time. why does it bother you now?

Comment by Chad — November 17, 2010 @ 8:56 pm - November 17, 2010

20. Good point chad. If he included evidence in all of those posts, that’d be one thing. But, from what I remember, he seems to just say it, assuming it would be true or was true and having us take his word for it, could be wrong though.

Comment by AJ — November 17, 2010 @ 9:00 pm - November 17, 2010

21. Chad, because not since Rush Limbaugh in 1993 made a juvenile comment about Chelsea Clinton (after which he shut up about the then-president’s daughter), no prominent conservative has raised a ruckus over the actions of the child of a prominent Democrat.

We see the media giving liberals a pass all the time for actions which earn conservatives vilification. That’s why I write the posts you reference.

This is not the first time various leading lefties got their panties all in a bundle over the behavior (or language) of the child of a prominent conservative.

Your point, I grant, is a fair one, but not based on any evidence. If the child of any prominent Democrat made such comments, that would be a matter for the prominent Democrat (and his family) and not the news media. Nor should it be fodder the conservative media. And I expect they would treat it as such. As they have in the past.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — November 17, 2010 @ 9:06 pm - November 17, 2010

22. Willow Palin, daughter of a public figure, uses an offensive term in a hostile manner in a public forum, is called out for it, and now *she* is the victim.

Someone needs a reality check.

Comment by BenD — November 17, 2010 @ 9:11 pm - November 17, 2010

23. Um, beck did it less than six months ago. Though he did apologize one he realized it was wrong, but it still happened. You may argue that he’s not prominent, but his ratings and rallys, unfortunately, say different.

Comment by AJ — November 17, 2010 @ 9:14 pm - November 17, 2010

24. The Palin girls were being bullied, one lady was even saying the N word out. this is how teenage kids in real world fight back. Even a gay guy like Perez Hilton used that word when he got in to fight.

Comment by moon — November 17, 2010 @ 9:14 pm - November 17, 2010

25. Tho I guess he wasn’t raising an issue with her behavior, just making fun of her in general, so a little different.

Comment by AJ — November 17, 2010 @ 9:16 pm - November 17, 2010

26. AJ, fair point. But, as you note, he did apologize. He ever says he broke his own rule; seems he has a policy against this.

We’ll see if any of the lefties do as Beck has done and apologize. And if they have similar rules.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — November 17, 2010 @ 9:22 pm - November 17, 2010

27. dan, what media personality has attacked willow because of her comments? anyone in the media who occupies the same status as beck? do you still maintain that the right doesn’t attack children of democratic politicians after AJ’s comment?

additionally, i’m not sure you’ve adequately accounted for your inconsistency regarding the evidence issue i raised above. in fact, all you did was repeat the same thing, albeit twice: “We see the media giving liberals a pass all the time for actions which earn conservatives vilification” and ” Nor should it be fodder the conservative media. And I expect they would treat it as such”. repeating an assertion that you can’t substantiate in the first place doesn’t make it true.

i admit, hypothetical arguments aren’t particularly convincing, because as i mentioned earlier, it’s impossible to prove a negative. hopefully you’ll subject future posts, especially those regarding media bias, to the same level of scrutiny.

Comment by Chad — November 17, 2010 @ 9:59 pm - November 17, 2010

28. I can’t condone this in any way, shape or form. 16 years old or not.
    I also don’t blame the Dems for being all over it.
    Sorry folks but if my daughter ever said something like this, there would be hell to pay.
    Which is why she’d never do it.
    Not enough supervision going on in this household, I’m afraid.

Comment by Bobbie — November 17, 2010 @ 10:01 pm - November 17, 2010

29. Chad, yes, after reading AJ’s comment, I do maintain that the right doesn’t attack children of Democratic politicians. He provided one example, Glenn Beck and noted that that man apologized for the comment. I followed his link and found that Beck acknowledged he broke his own rule.

While I grant I write many of my “hypothetical” posts in haste, I can (and frequently do) back them up with reference to media double-standards — as I did when I compared the way Katie Couric handled interviews with the two major party candidates for Vice President in 2008.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — November 17, 2010 @ 10:06 pm - November 17, 2010

30. you can only think of one example? not persuasive.

Comment by Chad — November 17, 2010 @ 10:13 pm - November 17, 2010

31. meanwhile, this is the first post under the tag “media bias” and it illustrates my point perfectly.

Comment by Chad — November 17, 2010 @ 10:18 pm - November 17, 2010

32. Well, Chad, go look at the NAACP report on Tea Party racism and note they cite leaders of that grassroots movement from tiny jurisdictions.

Those folks may not be from jurisdictions as small as Comanche County, Kansas — which I chose for purposes of hyperbole, it being the third smallest county population-wise in the Sunflower State.

One example, Chad? These are comments, not posts. And now, I’ve provided a second (see ¶ 1 of this comment for that reference).

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — November 17, 2010 @ 10:26 pm - November 17, 2010

33. if i wanted to prove the statement “this would be news if a conservative said it,” i would find an incident where the media reported a conservative saying the same thing. you didn’t do that. you referenced the tea party and the naacp, which is not related to the (still unsubstantiated) assertion you make in the post i linked above. you’ve proven nothing, except that you embrace double standards.

how about this gem? can you prove that a conservative would charged with hate speech for wishing death on a member of the conservative media?

you can’t have it both ways, dan. if you’re going to demand that i prove these kinds of hypotheticals, you need to start subjecting yourself to the same standard.

Comment by Chad — November 17, 2010 @ 11:14 pm - November 17, 2010

34. Um, chad, you do raise a good point. Sometimes I do blog in haste, especially when a clever title pops in my head (as did the Comanche County Kansas one). Other times, I research my post.

Perhaps your comment is best attached to those posts. Here, we’re dealing with the issue of the media (and lefty bloggers) getting their panties in a bundle over something the underage daughter of a prominent conservative said on a Facebook post. If I wanted to play your game, I could take time out and find appropriate links to back up my points. And perhaps I should do that when I post similar pieces on media bias. So your point is well-taken. But, that’s not the topic of this post.

We have, in this thread, one example of a conservative who brought up the daughter of a prominent Democrat. And that conservative apologized and acknowledged that he violated his own rules on the matter.

Shouldn’t you be trying to find further such examples?

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — November 17, 2010 @ 11:18 pm - November 17, 2010

35. yes, dan, this was a diversion, but one you initiated. re-read your response to my first comment. you’re the one who suddenly decided that “evidence” is needed to support hypothetical arguments. i was merely pointing out that the “evidence” standard is a departure from the way you usually present similar hypothetical arguments.

and i note that you’re conflating the actors in these stories. willow palin was the one using the derogatory slurs. she is not the victim, unless others quoting her qualifies as victimization.

Comment by Chad — November 17, 2010 @ 11:42 pm - November 17, 2010

36. Poor kid, she is s-o-o-o high school. Poor adult gays who are offended are s-o-o-o-o-o insecure that they want the political correctness police to send Willow to reeducation camp and they want her trampy, trashy mother to be brought up on mal-parenting charges.

Goodness, gracious, I have never been so emulsified in all my life.

I think it is really queer (odd) that this child acts like a typical teenager. Why, she should burn in purgatory. Or something.

Comment by Heliotrope — November 18, 2010 @ 12:05 am - November 18, 2010

37. I don’t recall much liberal hysteria when Bill Richardson used maricón (faggot) on the Imus show and when Pete Stark called a congressman litte fruitcake the left made excuses that it’s not a gay slur.

Ergo, it seems to me that the faux outrage is selective.

I’ll remind you:

Comment by ThatGayConservative — November 18, 2010 @ 12:05 am - November 18, 2010

38. To follow up on ILC,

Yes I watched that episode.

My point wasn’t about just the use of the word faggot. But how the “Patriots” of this board consider one term (teabagger) an offensive slur that should not be used and other terms that have been used against them as irrelevant when certain figures that they praise use them. In short they are acting like liberals.

Unless of course Dan and ilk think that using that word is a slur if your last name isn’t “Palin.”

Comment by JS — November 18, 2010 @ 12:18 am - November 18, 2010

39. (Indeed, the first line of Tammy’s quote (that I cite so glowingly) pretty much indicates that we don’t think it’s okay to use that slur.)

Then stop using it as a political ploy to get even with teh libruls. If it is wrong to say it, it is wrong. That is the issue here. Conservatives want to turn this issue about liberals and forget that many gay kids today are being harassed and dehumanized by bullies using such a s slur.

However if you want to make this into a political issue, then by all means, let me use the slur, since using it, according to some of you, isn’t a big deal anymore.

Comment by JS — November 18, 2010 @ 12:25 am - November 18, 2010

40. JS, good news! There is a South Park episode just for you: http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s13e12-the-f-word

Watch the whole thing.

In that case ILC, tell Dan to let me use the word on here. Since comments with the slur in them are being delayed. Because, according to the episode, for which I’ve watched dozens of times, the word can now mean anything you want it to mean. I chose it to mean conservative hypocrites.

So in Essence your comment should be directed to Dan and Ilk who think it is NOT okay for you to use it on here or anywhere else, unless of course you happen to be a Palin. Then we can deflect blame and responsibility to the MSM and liberals, even though clearly it was Willow that said that word.

Comment by JS — November 18, 2010 @ 12:31 am - November 18, 2010

41. Here, we’re dealing with the issue of the media (and lefty bloggers) getting their panties in a bundle over something the underage daughter of a prominent conservative said on a Facebook post.

And this is where you fail, Dan. It shouldn’t matter if it is Palin or any other person in the public eye. Perez Hilton got heat from GLAAD for using the term and his apologized.

Point is, IF you consider it to be bad in using it then it shouldn’t be used, REGARDLESS of who says it. You are trying to deflect blame because of your bias and political ideology.

Comment by JS — November 18, 2010 @ 12:37 am - November 18, 2010

42. So JS and AJ, how about posting where you and your fellow liberals condemned David Letterman for his rape statements about Willow Palin – which the gay left said were no big deal?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — November 18, 2010 @ 12:42 am - November 18, 2010

43. Wonder if Chad and JS condemned the gay liberals who hung Palin in effigy in October 2008?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — November 18, 2010 @ 12:45 am - November 18, 2010

44. JS, Perez Hilton is a public figure. Willow Palin is not.

I’m not the one using it as political ploy. It is, as per this post, those who raised a ruckus over what she said who did.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — November 18, 2010 @ 12:54 am - November 18, 2010

45. I wonder if NDT ever condemned Ann Coulter in using the word as well. I wonder if NDT ever condemned Mark Levin for calling Hillary Clinton “Her Thighness.”

NDT, what is your point???

Either using the F word is acceptable or it isn’t. You on the other hand to want to go on a different endless tangent, which is typical of you.

Comment by JS — November 18, 2010 @ 12:55 am - November 18, 2010

46. JS, Perez Hilton is a public figure. Willow Palin is not.

Then please tell Mrs. Palin that.

I’m not the one using it as political ploy.

Oh please Dan, you are. Your post has more to do about how teh librul media is reacting than about the fact that using such a slur is not right.

It is, as per this post, those who raised a ruckus over what she said who did.

Well if somebody who thinks that it is wrong to use such a slur (like you supposedly say you are as well) you then brush them off as crazy lefties who have their panties in a twist. And still the majority of the people who raising a “ruckus” are mainly those who believe that using such a slur is wrong.

Now some of your fellow Patriots here say it isn’t a big deal to use it anymore. If it is not then why am I not permitted to use it on here?

Comment by JS — November 18, 2010 @ 1:07 am - November 18, 2010

47. Ndt,
    I’ve never said liberals didn’t do it. Just said conservatives did too and its wrongbeither way. stop your partisan bickering and try and figure out wats wrong with this country.

Comment by AJ — November 18, 2010 @ 1:09 am - November 18, 2010

48. In the spirit of South Park, I will then no longer call gay cons “the patriots” but maybe something more acceptable now, something that can mean whatever the person that says it wants it to mean now, something like FAGGOT. Yes republican FAGGOTS.

Fair enough, FISTER.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — November 18, 2010 @ 1:36 am - November 18, 2010

49. I’ll also remind JS that Chris Dodd still has his job while Trent Lott does not.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — November 18, 2010 @ 1:41 am - November 18, 2010

50. JS, as per this post’s title and its inclusion in the Palin Derangement Syndrome Category, it’s also about certain lefties’ bizarre obsession with anything Sarah Palin.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — November 18, 2010 @ 1:42 am - November 18, 2010

51. I will… call gay cons… now, something like FAGGOT. Yes republican FAGGOTS.

Oh JS, please do! It reveals your true spirit.

Remember: Willow was an angry, immature, hormonally-driven 16-year-old girl. I would expect she isn’t homophobic. BUT, in that moment, she *was* all those other things. You’ve just confessed now that you are, too.

I love honesty! I love seeing your confession! 🙂

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 18, 2010 @ 1:45 am - November 18, 2010

52. “Point is, IF you consider it to be bad in using it then it shouldn’t be used, REGARDLESS of who says it.”–JS

But…but…liberals don’t say anything about this, liberals didn’t say anything about that…

I’m about as far as a person could get from being a liberal. A double standard is clearly being practiced here by many gay conservatives. I understand, I am an admirer of Governor Palin as well. But her daughter’s behavior was wrong, very public, and should be addressed without excuses. So far, the Governor’s response has been disappointing.

Comment by GreenDragon — November 18, 2010 @ 1:47 am - November 18, 2010

53. From the Online Etymology Dictionary:

faggot (1)
    late 13c., “bundle of twigs bound up,” from O.Fr. fagot “bundle of sticks” (13c.), of uncertain origin, probably from It. faggotto, dim. of V.L. *facus, from L. fascis “bundle of wood” (see fasces). Especially used for burning heretics (emblematic of this from 1550s), so that phrase fire and faggot was used to indicate “punishment of a heretic.” Heretics who recanted were required to wear an embroidered figure of a faggot on their sleeve, as an emblem and reminder of what they deserved.
    faggot (2) Look up faggot at Dictionary.com
    “male homosexual,” 1914, Amer.Eng. slang (shortened form fag is from 1921), probably from earlier contemptuous term for “woman” (1590s), especially an old and unpleasant one, in reference to faggot (1) “bundle of sticks,” as something awkward that has to be carried (cf. baggage). It may also be reinforced by Yiddish faygele “homosexual,” lit. “little bird.” It also may have roots in British public school slang fag “a junior who does certain duties for a senior” (1785), with suggestions of “catamite,” from fag (v.). This also was used as a verb.

He [the prefect] used to fag me to blow the chapel organ for him. [“Boy’s Own Paper,” 1889]

Other obsolete senses of faggot were “man hired into military service simply to fill out the ranks at muster” (1700) and “vote manufactured for party purposes” (1817). The oft-heard statement that male homosexuals were called faggots in reference to their being burned at the stake is an etymological urban legend. Burning was sometimes a punishment meted out to homosexuals in Christian Europe (on the suggestion of the Biblical fate of Sodom and Gomorrah), but in England, where parliament had made homosexuality a capital offense in 1533, hanging was the method prescribed. Any use of faggot in connection with public executions had long become an English historical obscurity by the time the word began to be used for “male homosexual” in 20th century American slang, whereas the contemptuous slang word for “woman” (and the other possible sources or influences listed here) was in active use. It was used in this sense in early 20c. by D.H. Lawrence and James Joyce, among others.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 18, 2010 @ 1:56 am - November 18, 2010

54. JS, as per this post’s title and its inclusion in the Palin Derangement Syndrome Category, it’s also about certain lefties’ bizarre obsession with anything Sarah Palin.

I don’t know why this “obsession” even matters. Or should matter to you. The bottom line is this: Do YOU, Dan think using that word is right or wrong? If it is wrong, then condemn it and move on. Why this festering over what teh libruls think or say. Using a slur (if it is considered a slur) should transcend political ideologies. But again it appears that you want to attack liberals for their opposition to the word simply because they are liberals. Hence why I think your post is motivated by political bias.

However, if you agree Dan, with ILC, TGC, NDT, Heliotrope, that using that word is not a big deal, then would you mind if use it on you then?

Because it is clear that gay cons don’t mind being called that word:

Fair enough, FISTER.
    -TGC

Comment by JS — November 18, 2010 @ 2:01 am - November 18, 2010

55. GreenDragon, we’re not defending Willow Palin for the comments she used. We just don’t believe it rises to the level of a national issue.

If she were my daughter, I would tell her that it’s wrong to use such words as they can hurt others. But, that is a matter between parent and child, not one between child and the world.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — November 18, 2010 @ 2:05 am - November 18, 2010

56. national issue? because it was reported on a few gay blogs? please.

Comment by Chad — November 18, 2010 @ 2:07 am - November 18, 2010

57. TMZ’s a gay blog?

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — November 18, 2010 @ 2:12 am - November 18, 2010

58. Hey JS, I don’t know if you saw my #51. Take it to heart!

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 18, 2010 @ 2:23 am - November 18, 2010

59. AGAIN, who is it that has the problem?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — November 18, 2010 @ 3:10 am - November 18, 2010

60. TMZ’s a gay blog?

Totally gay, but not in a homosexual way.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — November 18, 2010 @ 3:59 am - November 18, 2010

61. I just find it funny myself. All this whining over a word. If it upsets you so much, I expect our liberal posters to stop using ‘gay’ and ‘queer’ since those have older meanings and I’m insulted you use the words in that context.

Comment by The_Livewire — November 18, 2010 @ 6:53 am - November 18, 2010

62. Again, I wonder where all this self-righteous lefty rage was when Dan Savage used to insist his readers refer to him as “Hey F*gg*t” at the start of each of their letters.

Comment by Eric Olsen — November 18, 2010 @ 7:10 am - November 18, 2010

63. <nit-picking>I think the first “not” should be “now”.</nit-picking>

Comment by Chris Chittleborough — November 18, 2010 @ 7:50 am - November 18, 2010

64. And when did people stop writing out faggot? I missed that memo.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — November 18, 2010 @ 8:54 am - November 18, 2010

65. tmz reports national issues?

Comment by Chad — November 18, 2010 @ 9:17 am - November 18, 2010

66. Has Savage weighed in on this yet? Maybe he’d tell the drones to chill, and then of course they’d fall dutifully in line.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 18, 2010 @ 9:21 am - November 18, 2010

67. From this thread, it seems people getting their panties in a knot is more popular than one might have thought. I’d recommend going commando –it stops the knot wringing dead.

Faggot, even as a slur, shouldn’t cause us alarm and it shouldn’t get anyone’s panties in a knot. Let’s save the outrage for more meaningful issues.

Comment by Michigan-Matt — November 18, 2010 @ 9:35 am - November 18, 2010

68. I really do not understand the “proper” nomenclature. When I was young, we used the word “homo.” Our regional colloquialism did not contain the word “fag” as meaning “homo” because we called cigarettes “fags.” And “faggot” would have been too Shakespearean and uppity talk for us. “Queer” was interchangeably a reference to the “homo” theme or an accepted modifier for something strange. But then “strange” was also an expression for “hooking up” with a passing opportunity for sex.

So, how did faggot and fag reach the level of opprobrium?

Poor Willow is a vixen on the prowl. She is also a pulchritudinous target. In her hormonal world she is aimed directly down the road to male companionship and the mating game. To taunt with the inference that someone isn’t male enough, is an age old female ploy.

Enter the lesbian. If the girl is sniffing the hormonal world of other females to find a lover, statistically, she has a tougher job than the girl who is wiggling past horny guys.

I find all this nomenclature outrage to be a bit gratuitous. I have not experienced being called a “faggot” in a menacing way. Surely that makes a difference. The word is not attractive sounding and, thus, may be a self selecting “crude” term.

Ann Coulter used it for John Edwards. She could have said preening narcissist, but that does not have the same impact as “faggot.” Ann’s use of the term was not about sexual proclivities, but about being obsequious and fussy in the classical gay movie character type of stereotype. The sort Robin Williams has mastered.

So, where is the line between being a self-effacing gay and an outraged gay when random comments fly? I got smacked here for referring to a certain group of gays as flamingoes flying low. My goodness. You can see straights who fit that description on any cruise ship. But somehow, when I connected those words with the gay counterparts, it was a terrible insult. Guess what? You can also find gays who fit that description on any cruise ship as well.

In sum, I think the outrage expressed above by the gay leftists is being pumped up and out of proportion. It seems more snit than substance.

Comment by Heliotrope — November 18, 2010 @ 10:59 am - November 18, 2010

69. Gay republicans are a bunch of faggots

Comment by jomama — November 18, 2010 @ 5:17 pm - November 18, 2010

70. such civil discourse, jomama, If you were the daughter of a conservative politician, you’d be excoriated for your words.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — November 18, 2010 @ 5:22 pm - November 18, 2010

71. “George W. Bush: A good and decent person, subjected to endless abuse from lefties who need someone to hate (and from the occasional Republican who ought to know better), who will one day be widely recognized for his personal courage and grace, even if he wasn’t always right about everything.” there is a bit of Truthyness about this statement. He is a good and decent person. He wasn’t always right. But personal courage and grace? Gotta call shenanigans on that one. And yes the abuse will be endless so that we can say “Never again”

Comment by KissMyLiberalAss Atyourconvenience — November 18, 2010 @ 5:48 pm - November 18, 2010

72. And what’s really funny is to watch how the gay and lesbian left responds to this.

Again, it’s just the hypocrisy. Sarah Palin is responsible for everything that any one of her children has ever done, but Obama Party members like Joe Biden, Al Gore, Ted Kennedy, and others who raised drug-addled perverts and child molesters have no responsibility whatsoever.

And when you consider what passes for intelligent parenting in the gay and lesbian community, it becomes even more blatant.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — November 18, 2010 @ 10:42 pm - November 18, 2010

73. Comment 71:

But personal courage and grace? Gotta call shenanigans on that one.

Really, KissMyLiberalAss? (I hope you’ll forgive me if I decline the invitation.) Bush’s courage wasn’t consistent — he caved on McCain-Feingold, for instance — but he certainly had it.

As for grace, he has displayed 1,000 times more grace just since leaving office than has successor will ever show.

And yes the abuse will be endless so that we can say “Never again”

In that case, the daily use of the term n*gger is justified for Obama throughout the reminder of his presidency and his lifetime as he is a billion times worse a president than Bush ever could have been.

Comment by Classical Liberal Dave — November 20, 2010 @ 2:58 am - November 20, 2010

74. JS:

Some sixteen year old uses a sexual slur as an unthinking insult and right doesn’t see a big huge deal. Therefore they also aren’t supposed to mind when the newsmedia, the left-wing politicians, and the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES use a sexual slur against a significant political movement?

That’s some sound reasoning you’ve got there. Perfectly comparable, that.

GayPatriot:
    Bad link on the Jon Stewart thing. Try this: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2010/11/jon-stewart-palin-children-who-gives-sh-t

Comment by Stephen R — November 24, 2010 @ 12:59 pm - November 24, 2010