Before this all goes down…

Posted by ColoradoPatriot at 2:23 pm - December 18, 2010.
Filed under: DADT (Don't Ask, Don't Tell)

There will surely be many words written here and in other places—many by yours truly—about today’s repeal of DADT. Before the deluge, please allow me to indulge this:

I thank God for the gay men and women who have been serving during (and even before) DADT in spite of it. While many gay activists have been on the sidelines carping about “rights” and “integrity” and “honor”, these brave men and women put their Nation before themselves and sacrificed as their colleagues never had to. They were called by service and answered in a way that speaks volumes about their dedication to the mission of the military. They chose to serve even as doing so meant keeping such a big part of themselves under wraps.

They were infantilized, pitied, and even demeaned by their supposed “supporters” for having consciously put their nation ahead of their own desires and identities. Many of them will continue to serve silently and with great dignity. I am humbled to have served with them.

I welcome into our ranks those openly gay men and women who will now choose to join the military, but I will forever be honored to have served next to those who answered the call without requiring their own terms as a prerequisite for their service.

-Nick (ColoradoPatriot, from TML)

1. I wonder: Will gay soldiers still be smeared and vilified by the liberal left when the next Haditha occurs?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — December 18, 2010 @ 2:39 pm - December 18, 2010

2. “I thank God for the gay men and women who have been serving during (and even before) DADT in spite of it.”

Agreed! We throw the word hero around too much nowadays, but they truly are heroes.

Comment by Bobbie — December 18, 2010 @ 2:40 pm - December 18, 2010

3. I thank God for the gay men and women who have been serving during (and even before) DADT in spite of it.

Very good point. I’m sure you disagree with me that we shouldn’t even be addressing this issue during wartime, but I can agree with you there.

I’m curious, what do you think of the Pentagon findings that only 15% of gay troops even want to serve openly?

Comment by American Elephant — December 18, 2010 @ 2:56 pm - December 18, 2010

4. Nick… Here Here!

Comment by Sonicfrog — December 18, 2010 @ 3:03 pm - December 18, 2010

5. Well said.

Comment by Scott Murphy — December 18, 2010 @ 3:11 pm - December 18, 2010

6. Not address the issue during war time? LOL

We are in a war with al-Qaeda and its wannabes that is going to last generations.

I am looking forward to this passing. I served even before DADT passed and lived in constant fear of being dishonorably discharged. I would have been a lot more effective soldier without having to deal with that load of constant anxiety.

Comment by Mick Danger — December 18, 2010 @ 3:18 pm - December 18, 2010

7. Mick, if you volunteered for the military knowing that homosexuality was a no-no then your “constant anxiety” was of your own making. If you were drafted, that is a different story.

Comment by Seane-Anna — December 18, 2010 @ 4:15 pm - December 18, 2010

8. And Nick, if not “…requiring their own terms as a prerequisite for their service” is so honorable, why the need to repeal DADT?

Comment by Seane-Anna — December 18, 2010 @ 4:19 pm - December 18, 2010

9. Seane-Anna: I’ve explained countless times why there was a need to repeal DADT. Just because you clearly don’t agree with it doesn’t mean I haven’t said so.

I’ll invoke DPM’s famous saying: “I can only explain it to you, I can’t understand it for you.”

Comment by ColoradoPatriot — December 18, 2010 @ 4:22 pm - December 18, 2010

10. 7: Just curious – did you ever serve in the military and go into battle?

Comment by Kevin — December 18, 2010 @ 4:26 pm - December 18, 2010

11. Gay Patriot is censoring my posts. I have attempted to post several comments and none have been posted.

Standing up for freedom and free speech. Yeah…right.

Comment by True Conservative — December 18, 2010 @ 6:18 pm - December 18, 2010

12. Hi Nick,

Thank you very much for this post. I am proud that I served my country and wore the Army uniform. I am proud of my sexuality.

I still insist that we continue to work together on protecting the safety of gay troops. I know you and I do not agree on the current state of the military, but the important thing is that we put the well-being of gay men and lesbians in the trenches first.

Best,

Robert O. Lopez

Comment by Robert Oscar Lopez — December 18, 2010 @ 7:35 pm - December 18, 2010

13. Is it just me, or are True Conservative’s comments hilariously stupid?

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — December 18, 2010 @ 10:21 pm - December 18, 2010

14. Well, “hilariously stupid” in the context of “ever hear of a spam filter?” 🙂

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — December 19, 2010 @ 12:40 am - December 19, 2010

15. Nick, I look forward to keeping the commitment I made ten years ago to be a medic for the Army. DADT originally snuffed that dream out thanks to a guy I went to church with who wasn’t even wearing the uniform. I hope within the year to complete that commitment.

Comment by Mel Maguire — December 19, 2010 @ 1:56 am - December 19, 2010

16. Sean-Anna

“your “constant anxiety” was of your own making.” is ridiculous. Gay members did not create the ban. That’s like saying war is the service members own making. People who join accept the risk or war and the “constant anxiety” there. Gay members accepted that and more risk. I don’t expect you to understand but I want to make it clear to others that there are those of us who do.

Comment by Nathan — December 19, 2010 @ 12:45 pm - December 19, 2010

17. […] http://www.gaypatriot.net/2010/12/18/before-this-all-goes-down/ […]

Pingback by Before this all goes down… « American Highlander — December 19, 2010 @ 8:55 pm - December 19, 2010

18. Nathan and Others,

Let’s all take a step back and realize what’s going on here. A troll has hijacked this blog.

She claims she has no hidden agenda in being here (everybody else supposedly has all the agendas), won’t explain the bizarre fact that she disagrees with this blog and everything it stands for, and yet she’s back here, again and again and again.

There’s some very interesting information on trolls online. Just Google it.

This malignant narcissist has taken over the blog. She dominates nearly every thread, and we have let her.

Time to stop feeding the troll.

Comment by Lori Heine — December 20, 2010 @ 9:56 am - December 20, 2010

19. Nick- Colorado Patriot. You are the reason I check in in here. Merry Christmas.

Comment by Tom — December 20, 2010 @ 6:06 pm - December 20, 2010