Dire Straits: Offensive to Gays?

This is rich:

After 25 years, Canada has officially banned the Dire Straits song “Money For Nothing” because it’s extremely offensive! You Know, it has the word “Faggot” in it. Blog Pals and Facebook Friends, Please link to the offensive song and lets offend Canada like never before!!!!

Here you go, Sonic:

Doug Powers notes that while the “original version has been banned . . . it can be played provided the offending word is edited.

Give me a break.

Guess those bureaucrats up north just think if we ban an offensive word, then presto chango, not only will people not feel offended, but bad people will change their ways, the sun will stream through the clouds and we’ll all sing kumbaya.

Taking no prisoners in his response (as is his wont), blogger R. S. McCain bold challenges those Americans labeling their ideological adversaries as haters:

Somebody call Mark Potok at the SPLC. Tell him I played this homophobic anti-Canadian anthem and demand to be denounced for it!

(Via Instapundit.) Oh, and if you’re offended by that blogger’s style, well, understand he’s doing it to make a point. So too may have been a certain band.

I agree that the word is offensive, but also believe sunlight to be the best disinfectant.

FROM THE COMMENTS:  Throbert McGee offers a “much better” US analogy:

. . . bleeping-out every instance of the word “nigger” in edited-for-TV versions of Blazing Saddles — even though the movie’s script very pointedly puts the word ONLY in the mouths of characters who are idiots, villains, or both.

1. Too square to know anything of the song, but I got a copy and played it backward at half speed and I heard Joy Behar singing Itsy-Bitsy Spider into an aluminum ice cube tray while tap dancing on a peanut jar lid and pumping an accordion.

Should I report it?

Comment by Heliotrope — January 14, 2011 @ 6:17 pm - January 14, 2011

2. Really, Canada? Really?

Don’t forget Weird Al’s Beverly Hillbillies

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 14, 2011 @ 6:22 pm - January 14, 2011

3. Which will probably lead to a ban on Weird Al’s Canadian Idiot.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 14, 2011 @ 6:28 pm - January 14, 2011

4. Not much different from the collective U.S. uproar over Ms. Jackson’s wardrobe malfunction, eh?

Comment by Bryan — January 14, 2011 @ 7:07 pm - January 14, 2011

5. #4: Uh, no.

Comment by Sean A — January 14, 2011 @ 7:23 pm - January 14, 2011

6. I’m guessing Tipper Gore is thinking of moving to the Great White North.
    Somebody, other than Muslims, finally followed her lead.

Comment by Nan G — January 14, 2011 @ 7:53 pm - January 14, 2011

7. I’m here to help the Canadians rid themselves of unpleasant words… here’a another song to ban (heard it on Pandora today… perhaps they should filter Internet traffic).

Everywhere is freaks and hairys
    Dykes and fairies
    Tell me where is sanity?

I’d Love to Change the World, 10 Years After, 1971

Comment by SoCalRobert — January 14, 2011 @ 8:06 pm - January 14, 2011

8. Not much different from the collective U.S. uproar over Ms. Jackson’s wardrobe malfunction, eh?

If you want a US analogy, a much better one would be bleeping-out every instance of the word “nigger” in edited-for-TV versions of Blazing Saddles — even though the movie’s script very pointedly puts the word ONLY in the mouths of characters who are idiots, villains, or both.

Comment by Throbert McGee — January 14, 2011 @ 8:19 pm - January 14, 2011

9. Hmmm, according to a Canadian commenter on R.S. McCain’s site, the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council (the group that “banned” the song) is a private group whose rulings are only binding on its members — in other words, it’s kinda-sorta analogous to the MPAA, but not at all analogous to the FCC.

Comment by Throbert McGee — January 14, 2011 @ 8:29 pm - January 14, 2011

10. Then they must have banned all rap music, yes? “Faggots, niggers, bitches, ho’s, sluts, pop-a-cap, and all that jazz. No? Really? Huh… Selective reasoning??? Nah…

Comment by Holly — January 14, 2011 @ 9:09 pm - January 14, 2011

11. private? really? if so, then they can ban whatever they want. In fact, if it were the government banning it on public airwaves, I also wouldnt have a problem with it. Our radio stations have to bleep out some words too, including, I believe the n word — but perhaps just expletives. Which I also have no problem with. The people own the public airwaves, the people have the right to establish standards.

The only situation I would object to is if the government were banning private broadcasters from airing it over private airwaves (cable, satellite, etc).

Plus, I always hated that song. 🙂 Especially since MTV ran it every freaking 5 minutes.

Comment by American Elephant — January 14, 2011 @ 9:29 pm - January 14, 2011

12. Read any interview by Mark Knopfler (lead singer of Dire Straits) and you will find out that he was quoting someone on MTV who was a “blockhead”, In other words, he was mocking the guy who was saying “faggot”. This song hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 on September 21, 1985 and stayed there for 3 weeks. Dire Straits’ only chart topping song. They also had a big hit back in ’79 (Sultans of Swing). The only other top 10 these guys had was the follow up to MFN (Walk of Life). Now if want to hear truly homophobic lyrics, check out reggae singer Buju Banton. This guy actually endorses violence against gays.

Comment by Jim Michaud — January 14, 2011 @ 9:38 pm - January 14, 2011

13. Just so we agree there’s plenty nonsense south of the 49th. Can’t take this ephemera too seriously…I think it’s ALL hilarious.

Comment by Bryan — January 14, 2011 @ 10:09 pm - January 14, 2011

14. This topic was the comic entertainment at my local watering hole today. I had not heard of the ban until then and the comments were amusing to say the least. While I have been listening to the song for a quarter century, the words never came through to me. Seeing them now, shadowed by all that time, I have to wonder why we have enough time to waste on such minutiae. To people in other lands, let me say that it’s not the everyday Canadians who drive this sort of thing, folks, it’s the bureaucratic fools that have nothing else to do except watch the clock and count the days to retirement. If people are offended, I feel for them, however, I would ask that they look at the progression of time that has passed and remember that the political correctness wave was a lot smaller then. Twenty-five years from now, who will remember this?

Comment by John — January 14, 2011 @ 10:20 pm - January 14, 2011

15. against censorship.

Comment by Vince in WeHo — January 14, 2011 @ 10:30 pm - January 14, 2011

16. Don’t forget Weird Al’s Beverly Hillbillies

From this day forward, faggots shall now be known as Clampetts.

Comment by BBC — January 14, 2011 @ 10:38 pm - January 14, 2011

17. All this hand wringing over “offensive” words is so damn selective and hypocritical.

Does anyone here remember that video of that Black Panther party member calling for the murder of “cracker babies”? Did anyone besides me notice that, when that video was played on tv, the word “cracker” was NOT bleeped out? Apparently, it’s hateful and in very bad taste to use “offensive” words ONLY when it’s against politically correct groups.

Comment by Seane-Anna — January 14, 2011 @ 11:11 pm - January 14, 2011

18. This is satire. He’s making fun of these idiots who don’t understand him or contemporary culture. It’s like eing offended by Mark Twain’s use of the word “nigger.” As a white American Jewish liberal, I am offended by the lack of free speech in Canada and much of Europe.

Comment by barbarypirate — January 14, 2011 @ 11:44 pm - January 14, 2011

19. Haven’t you heard, Seane-Anna? Even with the Obama-ordained new tone of civility, liberals are still allowed to denigrate Obama’s critics by calling them “crackers.” Just ask Chris Matthews:

Comment by Sean A — January 14, 2011 @ 11:55 pm - January 14, 2011

20. Thanks for that link, Sean A; it just further proves my point. Did you notice that the article didn’t say outright that “cracker” is a derogatory term; rather, the article states that “some believe” cracker is a derogatory term. Imagine the uproar if the offensiveness of “nigger” or “faggot” was so qualified.

Comment by Seane-Anna — January 15, 2011 @ 12:56 am - January 15, 2011

21. Rush made an excellent point about the word cracker — which is every bit an ethnic slur, but its not a big deal because white people dont let it bother them.

Comment by American Elephant — January 15, 2011 @ 12:59 am - January 15, 2011

22. Just checked out your link, Sean A, and it just further proves my point. Did you notice that the article didn’t say outright that “cracker” was derogatory? Rather, the article says that “some believe” cracker is derogatory. Imagine the uproar if the offensiveness of “nigger” or “faggot” was so qualified.

Comment by Seane-Anna — January 15, 2011 @ 1:21 am - January 15, 2011

23. I fail to see how ‘cracker’ and ‘ni**er’ can be compared on the same levels. I’ve never been offended by the word ‘cracker.’ I guess I do have thick skin after all.

Comment by Guilty White Male — January 15, 2011 @ 2:40 am - January 15, 2011

24. They covered this topic on RedEye tonight. They said it was one complaint they got back in december that prompted the banning…

One complaint…

Comment by Stone K — January 15, 2011 @ 6:43 am - January 15, 2011

25. Actually, “crackers” were the Florida cowboys (we had ’em before TX did) so called because they used whips. I think these days, cracker refers to Florida natives, but I’ve never heard it used except in reference to the cowboys.

Re:

but its not a big deal because white people dont let it bother them.

And

I’ve never been offended by the word ‘cracker.’

Exactly. If one is offended by a word, who is it that has the problem? Gringo is a slur, but nobody cares. Same with Honky.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 15, 2011 @ 7:45 am - January 15, 2011

26. Throbert McGee@9

So I am commenting on a comment, – just to comment that this migt be a non-story. Did I get that right?

Comment by Johnny G — January 15, 2011 @ 8:19 am - January 15, 2011

27. Oops! Sorry about the double comment (#20 and #22). Didn’t mean to take up more space than necessary. Sorry.

Comment by Seane-Anna — January 15, 2011 @ 8:52 am - January 15, 2011

28. […] like how Daniel Blatt over at the Gay Patriot puts […]

Pingback by Canada bans 25 year old Dire Straits song? - cabinetmeeting.net — January 15, 2011 @ 10:03 am - January 15, 2011

29. When “Money For Nothing” played constantly on the radio & MTV, I hated the song due to overexposure; however, now, I like the song. Canada has just assured sales for Dire Straits “Money For Nothing” to come back on the charts. Really, political correctness has gone too far to the absurd. Enough already. Canada’s bureaucrats need to actually listen to the song before they open their politically correct mouths. All they have is hot air between their ears. Fools all of them.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — January 15, 2011 @ 10:05 am - January 15, 2011

30. Here’s my idea for solving this problem:

MANDATORY TOURETTES SYNDROME: For two weeks, every person in the United States are required to speak in only ethnic, religious, and cultural slurs…….fat jokes, skinny jokes, ugly jokes….and they MUST use them, even when speaking to people they like.

**Those who refrain will be fined heavily!**

At the end of those two weeks, every human being in the country will be so sick and tired of these labels that they will no longer carry any meaning. They will avoid the use of these terms for all but the most extreme situations.

By tiptoeing around words, WE GIVE THEM MEANING.

Comment by gastorgrab — January 15, 2011 @ 12:19 pm - January 15, 2011

31. Just discovered your blog through Kerodin’s site. While not of your particular orientation, I am pleased to discover that conservative gays are not as scarce on the ground as I once thought. Great blog!

Comment by hbbill — January 15, 2011 @ 1:15 pm - January 15, 2011

32. I’m trying to figure out the ideology of all the folks commenting. Maybe you’re just not ideological. But it seems that on the one hand, you are concerned about gay teens killing themselves because of homophobia. On the other hand, Canada tries to change things by bleeping out a word used by bullies, and you think that’s ridiculous. You want gays in the military to tell everyone they’re gay, citing Canada as an example of where that works, but you don’t like Canada enforcing speech codes. It seems to me that the gays, both lib and con, react to things issue by issue without thinking about how their reactions fit into the arguments they made elsewhere. It wouldn’t bother me, except that some of your arguments are about suicide, military policy, the 2nd amendment — life and death.

Comment by J Brown — January 15, 2011 @ 1:27 pm - January 15, 2011

33. Wow. 1985. I was 12. I don’t think our cable company had MTV back then. There was a show on one of the networks called Friday Night Videos wherein they showed music videos for an hour.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 15, 2011 @ 1:50 pm - January 15, 2011

34. You remember “Fiday Night Videos” too, ThatGayConservative? That was an awesome show. The ’80’s, those were the days!

Comment by Seane-Anna — January 15, 2011 @ 2:23 pm - January 15, 2011

35. Censorship is out of control in this country too. I remember they banned the word “sin” on the radio in a song last year, even more ridiculous if u ask me. Don’t really see what makes this such a big deal. You can’t use offensive language on the radio, doesn’t seem crazy to me.

Comment by AJ — January 15, 2011 @ 3:48 pm - January 15, 2011

36. “Money For Nothing” played on a local radio station today & I noticed they edited out “faggot” too.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — January 15, 2011 @ 5:21 pm - January 15, 2011

37. That Gay Conservative >> Where did you grow up?

We had a show we got from our Canadian neighbors on Friday Night called “Good Rockin’ Tonight.”

We also had M – F half hour shower called “Video Hits.” I got to see Alanis Morrisette do her Debbie Gibson thing before she broke out.

Comment by Guilty White Male — January 15, 2011 @ 6:16 pm - January 15, 2011

38. Guilty White Male, I’m old enough to remember Alanis Morrisette on Nickelodeon’s You Can’t Do That On Television; this was near the end of the show’s run when the original cast got too old to be on the show. This is long before she became rocker chick. She was more like nerd chick.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — January 15, 2011 @ 7:36 pm - January 15, 2011

39. I grew up in Raymond, MS. outside of Jackson. Couldn’t tell you when we got cable, but as I recall, we only had about 10 channels including (in addition to?) the 3 networks. MTV wasn’t an option. Couldn’t tell you which network carried Friday Night Videos.

& I noticed they edited out “faggot” too.

Well back in the day, it was muted or cut out of the radio version. It’s nothing new.

Loved that show. Was thinking about Barthy Burgers the other day. Didn’t know Alanis Marmoset was on there.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — January 15, 2011 @ 8:16 pm - January 15, 2011

40. So Democrats want to repeal the 2nd Amendment, and now regulate the 1st Amendment…….

Which one are they going to attack next? The 13th?

Comment by gastorgrab — January 15, 2011 @ 8:50 pm - January 15, 2011

41. So Democrats want to repeal the 2nd Amendment, and now regulate the 1st Amendment…….

Lol, this happened in Canada and it’s not even government related. It’s a private board banning the word “faggot” from the radio, which is already done here. This couldn’t me more of a non story.

Comment by AJ — January 15, 2011 @ 11:04 pm - January 15, 2011

42. and like Blazing Saddles, the “singer” is the one being made fun of…Irony is lost on the ignorant.

Comment by JP — January 16, 2011 @ 4:52 am - January 16, 2011

43. […] Gay Patriot wonders if Dire Straits is offensive to gays […]

Pingback by Sorta Blogless Sunday Pinup » Pirate's Cove — January 16, 2011 @ 10:00 am - January 16, 2011

44. TGC >> She was only on there for about five episodes or so. She had a really short hair-cut. Brian and Alistair fought over her, while Moose would role her eyes.

Comment by Guilty White Male — January 16, 2011 @ 10:32 am - January 16, 2011

45. Here’s several clips edited together from Alanis Morisette on You Can’t Do That On Television:

(She’s got really short, closed-crop hair)

Ironically, she’s talking about her boyfriend being a rock star.

Om the show, if any kid says, “I Don’t Know” they get slimed or they mention “water” they get water dumped on them.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — January 16, 2011 @ 11:46 am - January 16, 2011

46. “this happened in Canada and it’s not even government related.”

————

Isn’t this thread was about freedom of speech in general?

Comment by gastorgrab — January 16, 2011 @ 12:52 pm - January 16, 2011

47. The Mark Twain, and “hateful vitriol” arguments, are being made in the United States. We have Democratic politicians who are proposing that we regulate “violent rhetoric”.

Isn’t this thread was about freedom of speech in general?

how is asking for a toning down of the rhetoric and trying to regulate it the same thing? Are politicians calling for laws abridging one’s right to use “violent rhetoric”? I dk, maybe they are. But asking people to tone it down is in no way infringing the first amendment. In fact, they exercising their first amendment rights by simply asking for something to be done.

And I believe the Huck Finn thing was an editors choice. Again, the first amendment is not being infringed there.

Seems like a bit of an exaggeration. This story really isn’t anything at all. Last time I checked, words are edited on the radio all the time for a lot of different reasons. If Britney Spears can’t say “sin” on the radio because it offends Christians, then why should “faggot” be ok?

Comment by AJ — January 16, 2011 @ 1:11 pm - January 16, 2011

48. Before i go any further, perhaps my comments would be better suited to different thread.

Sorry. These topics are starting to blur together for me.

You are correct. This is a different argument. This is about that set of unwritten rules that society imposes on itself.

Comment by gastorgrab — January 16, 2011 @ 4:27 pm - January 16, 2011

49. […] (Perhaps Slightly Less) Lonely ConservativeDaTechguyInoperable TerranMoose And SquirrelAmSpecBlogGay PatriotUncoverageObligatory: Video in Which Tucson Killer Jabbers About ‘Illegal Wars’ Like […]

Pingback by FMJRA 2.0: This Space Intentionally Left Blank : The Other McCain — January 16, 2011 @ 9:33 pm - January 16, 2011