End The Light Bulb Madness

As Glenn Reynolds would say… SAVE THE EDISON LIGHT BULB!  FASTER, PLEASE! (via The Red Dog Report)

On Thursday, Republican Senator Mike Enzi of Wyoming introduced legislation to reverse a 2007 ban on incandescent light bulbs that is scheduled to take effect January 1, 2012.

The Better Use of Light Bulbs Act (BULB) is intended to repeal the amendment that was attached to a comprehensive energy bill signed by President George W. Bush in 2007.   The ban on incandescent light bulbs was intended to save energy and limit pollution.

Now, Enzi and other lawmakers are attacking the ban as a measure that limits choices for Americans.  “I think it’s fine if someone wants to fill their home or business with the light from the new bulbs,” said Enzi in a statement.

I also think it is fine if someone wants to buy an old-fashioned bulb because it works better for them,” he added.  “If left alone, the best bulb will win its rightful standing in the marketplace.  Government doesn’t need to be in the business of telling people what light bulb they have to use.”

RedDog rightly notes:

Let me see if I have this right… The government gives you a choice when it comes to ending the life of a child, But not when it comes to deciding what type of light bulb you use?

As trivial as this may sound, many people — including yours truly — are now hoarding the Edison Light Bulb before it vanishes into the dustheap of history.  Call your Senator and stop the Global Warming Hoax Madness from gaining any more traction in the way the Government rules our lives.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. Let’s not forget, this lightbulb idiocy was advanced by a Republican Congressman, Fred Upton, who was rewarded for his idiocy by John Boehner with a promotion to Chairman of the Energy Committee. And the law banning incandescent lightbulbs in favor of Chinese Deathbulbs was signed by a Republican president, George W. Bush.

Comment by V the K — February 20, 2011 @ 8:17 am - February 20, 2011

2. Someone suggested that we send our dead twirly bulbs to a pro-twirly bulb Congressman for proper disposal.

I will bet the EPA gives the Congress an exemption and allowing twirly bulbs there to be tossed with the general trash.

As a side note, I was recently wandering the back halls of the Capitol building and I noted that all the fixtures were ablaze with incandescent candle bulbs. I can only cringe at imagining the Brumidi corridors festooned with florescent twirly bulbs.

Comment by Heliotrope — February 20, 2011 @ 8:21 am - February 20, 2011

3. V the K,

Right you are, proving that dumb stuff coming from politicians hunting snipe is not limited by political party. (TARP and bailouts come to mind as well. Prescription drugs for seniors, the EPA, no child left federally unfunded in the quest for minimal education, also qualify.)

Comment by Heliotrope — February 20, 2011 @ 8:26 am - February 20, 2011

4. >>>As trivial as this may sound, many people — including yours truly — are now hoarding the Edison Light Bulb before it vanishes into the dustheap of history.

If that crazy woman who found the Virgin Mary’s face on her grilled cheese made $26K on E-Bay selling the sacred icon, you just might be right to horde the old fashioned bulbs.

Over the hill Republicans like Mitch McConnell and John McCain probably have a quite a horde of gas lamps from the last time interior lighting technology took a step forward.

Comment by Auntie Dogma — February 20, 2011 @ 9:12 am - February 20, 2011

5. Did someone fart? Something smells around here…

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — February 20, 2011 @ 10:03 am - February 20, 2011

6. Bruce, I noted a few months ago that businessmen in Germany were getting around the bulb ban by marketing them as “Heat Balls”. So many advertising possibilities here, don’t you think!

Comment by Unlikely Hospitalist — February 20, 2011 @ 10:12 am - February 20, 2011

7. I’m hoarding old fashioned light bulbs, too. My son wants to go to medical school. I have to be able to sell something on the black market. 🙂

Comment by Louise B — February 20, 2011 @ 10:45 am - February 20, 2011

8. That’s why I’m hoarding them. When the dollar crashes, I’m buying food with light bulbs.

Comment by Bruce (GayPatriot) — February 20, 2011 @ 11:17 am - February 20, 2011

9. Auntie – you’ve convinced me. I’m headed over to Home Depot right now to load up on the evil bulbs. I didn’t do so well when I tried to auction off the cat turd that had Al Gore’s face on the end.

I’ve tried the curly-fry bulbs but the light is inferior and they take time to warm up. I’d like to try the LED bulbs but they’re a bit pricey.

One has to wonder whether or not sending dead CF bulbs to Congress would be a legal issue: sending hazardous waste through the mail.

PS: I think it was Mark Steyn that mentioned a report on the shorter-than-anticipated lifespan of CF bulbs. It seems that short duty cycles (like lighting a closet or bathroom) is hard on the bulb… they should be left on for a minimum of 15 minutes.

Comment by SoCalRobert — February 20, 2011 @ 12:56 pm - February 20, 2011

10. I’ve got 3 cases in my attic right now!

Comment by David in N.O. — February 20, 2011 @ 1:33 pm - February 20, 2011

11. i’m with you David….stocked up and ready!

Comment by Jay — February 20, 2011 @ 1:38 pm - February 20, 2011

12. Creativity should be celebrated, not Destruction.

Celebrating creativity is about recognizing the advantages that different products have.
    That is why they exist for people to choose.

President Obama, State of the Union Address 25 January 2011:
    What we can do – what America does better than anyone – is spark the creativity and imagination of our people.
    We are the nation that put cars in driveways and computers in offices,
    the nation of Edison and the Wright brothers..

Yes Mr President, Creative America, the nation of Edison:
    Would you not have allowed him to create his popular light bulb?

And so it came to pass, in the autumn of 1879, after tireless effort working with different materials, Thomas Edison finally arrived at the ingenious invention we still see today, the Edison light bulb, the world’s single most popular electrical appliance and the oldest electrical invention in widespread common use:
    A beautifully simple, safe, cheap, bright light delivering construction.

Maybe the time will come when, like its cousin the gleaming radio tube, it gradually fades away, the passing of old technology.

But let it be a democratic passing by the will of the people,
    not a passing by committee dictats and decrees.

How many American, European or other officials should it take to change a light bulb?
    None.
    How many citizens should be allowed to choose?
    Everyone.

Comment by lighthouse — February 20, 2011 @ 2:09 pm - February 20, 2011

13. #9 – Now THAT is funny, I don’t care who you are.

Funny how the words “cat turd” and “Auntie Dogma” go together, huh?

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — February 20, 2011 @ 2:31 pm - February 20, 2011

14. Better Use of Light Bulbs Act (BULB)

Actually, that would be BULBA. Could they use Yul Brynner imagery to promote the bill?

I’d like to try the LED bulbs but they’re a bit pricey.

The Christmas lights are a bust. Had a tree in the front window with LEDs and you could barely see it from outside. The outside lights weren’t much of an improvement. The white lights looked more blue. I went back to the regular lights this past year. Good thing I didn’t throw them away.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — February 20, 2011 @ 2:48 pm - February 20, 2011

15. Edison: “Hey figure it out for yourself, man!”

Comment by ThatGayConservative — February 20, 2011 @ 2:54 pm - February 20, 2011

16. The people pushing these bulbs on us neglect to mention the higher mercury content in them. I’m hoarding the Edisons as well. Whose bright idea were these anyway? (get it? Bright idea – light bulb) 😀

Comment by Jim Michaud — February 20, 2011 @ 3:10 pm - February 20, 2011

17. If we can get Edison bulbs back, can we work on getting the government out of our dishwashers, washing machines, air conditioners and, most importantly, our toilets? This is why they wanted to ban good light bulbs, so we couldn’t see the dirt in our own homes because of Energy Star appliances.

Comment by The Other Peter H — February 20, 2011 @ 3:33 pm - February 20, 2011

18. So they have these HE washer machines, but apparently they tend to stink after a while. What’s more, you have to buy HE machine cleaner so, supposedly, it won’t stink anymore for a while.

So what’s the benefit of a HE washer other than to the companies that sell the washer cleaner? Plus, I don’t like the popular front loads, because if you find some drawers you dropped on the way to the laundry room, you can’t stop the machine and add more.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — February 20, 2011 @ 4:23 pm - February 20, 2011

19. We have a front load HE in our place in Greece where water consumption is an issue (we are on an island). So it does have the benefit of using less water. Having said that, it really is a pain in the ass for the very reason you stated TGC.

Comment by David in N.O. — February 20, 2011 @ 8:47 pm - February 20, 2011

20. There’s this to be said for the twirly bulbs: they don’t get dangerously hot, and they’re very energy-efficient for certain applications where it’s desirable to have the lights on constantly — such as in the foyer, or in stairwells, or in lamps that are providing supplemental illumination for your houseplants. (I’ve got some potted citrus trees that need to be wintered indoors, so I appreciate having the relatively cheap CF bulbs instead of electricity-sucking incandescents that can scorch the foliage if placed too close, or those big light-saber fluorescent tubes.)

Also, one nice thing about the twirlies — because they put out so little heat, if you don’t like the glaring white quality of their light, you can feel free to put one of those Chinese paper lanterns around them (or your yellow “I like getting peed on” hanky), which isn’t necessarily safe to do with incandescents.

But for a lot of other applications, the simple, old-fashioned “Edison bulbs” are superior, and consumers should have the choice!

Comment by Throbert McGee — February 21, 2011 @ 1:31 am - February 21, 2011

21. Its not trivial at ALL. This is a BIG DEAL. It touches everyone. And like ALL liberal policies this is really gonna f**k over the poor more than anyone.

You could buy a 60w incandescent for as little as .30 each. while CFL’s cost around $5 each up to $20 bucks a pop. They contain mercury, so you arent supposed to throw them away, you are supposed to make special trips to haz mat collection sites (but f**k if I’m going to do that. Mine will either go right in the trash, or I will mail them to Nancy Pelosi), and their flickering causes seizures, headaches, migraine and who knows what else. And they don’t last anywhere near as long as advertised.

But mostly the light just sucks ass.

The you have LED lights, which have a nicer light, but are omnidirectional, contain toxic metals and cost $40 a BULB and also dont last anywhere near as long as advertised.

so the poor arent going to be able to afford to light their homes now. Or as Al Gore might put it, they’ll have to chose between feeding themselves and lighting their homes.

They are already referring to this as “light poverty” in Europe where the bans have already started and people HATE them.

So naturally Democrats will want to start another program to help the poor and elderly light their homes (liberals, have you never noticed, that the more government does for people the more help people need? Its because the money comes out of the private sector, where it would otherwise be used to hire more people, pay more, etc, but you’re morons so I digress)

And guess who wrote the bill? General Electric and Phillips. The two biggest producers of light bulbs in the country. Because while the bulbs may last longer, the overall cost for hours of light is MORE. So the light bulb companies will be making a bundle over Democrat mandated suffering.

The people I have talked to, and seen write about this are pissed, as I am.

What you can do is call your representatives in the house AND senate. Its going to be harder to get it past the Senate and Obama. I would hope they would attach it to something that Obama wont veto just to be on the safe side.

And there is an organized movement to save the incandescent , you can sign their petition here. And you can help spread the word by “liking” them on Facebook here

And then call your reps AGAIN

Comment by American Elephant — February 21, 2011 @ 3:59 am - February 21, 2011

22. Thorbert,

You had to bring up the Hanky code, didn’t you?

I keep the stove light on and the porch lights, so I use the mercury bulbs. My ceiling fans use the regular incandecents.

Another fun fact. Some buildings were designed to take the heat from the Edison bulbs and factor them into the building’s heating. With out those bulbs, the cost of heating goes up. *defeating the purpose of the bulbs*

Comment by The_Livewire — February 21, 2011 @ 1:13 pm - February 21, 2011

23. Yes, keep it. It might me worth money in the future.

Comment by Blaster_84 — February 23, 2011 @ 12:24 am - February 23, 2011