Texas Gays May Get Means to Protect Themselves on College Campuses

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 4:10 pm - February 21, 2011.
Filed under: Academia,Freedom,Gay America,Second Amendment

Via e-mail, reader Peter Hughes alerted me to a looming victory for gay rights in the most unlikely of places, the Lone Star State.  According to the Houston Chronicle,

Texas is preparing to give college students and professors the right to carry guns on campus, adding momentum to a national campaign to open this part of society to firearms.

More than half the members of the Texas House have signed on as co-authors of a measure directing universities to allow concealed handguns. The Senate passed a similar bill in 2009 and is expected to do so again. Republican Gov. Rick Perry, who sometimes packs a pistol when he jogs, has said he’s in favor of the idea.

This is great news for gay people whom many believe are more vulnerable than straights for harassment based on our sexuality.  If a potential bashers know that gay students might be packing, they’ll be less likely to attack.  And if they do attack, gay people will better be able to defend themselves.

Kudos to Texas legislators for considering providing gay men and lesbians with an important tool to protect against ourselves against those who would do us harm.  Let’s hope gay organizations in Texas and nationwide push the legislature to act speedily on this important gay rights measure.

1. You know somewhere Mayor Bloomberg and the Brady bunch are having a collective brain implosion.

Comment by DaveO — February 21, 2011 @ 5:06 pm - February 21, 2011

2. I’ll never understand why liberals would prefer a pile of bodies over a hero or two. Unless, of course, they prefer the bodies as something to exploit for pushing their idiocy on the masses who don’t want it.

Comment by ThatGayConservative — February 21, 2011 @ 5:52 pm - February 21, 2011

3. Want better gun control….use two hands!

Comment by Jay — February 21, 2011 @ 5:54 pm - February 21, 2011

4. Watch how many homosexuals/bisexuals discharge their weapons when no one is willing to tolerate their narcissistically hostile and borderline confrontational behavior. It would be worth it to show neurotic/sociopathic individuals are more likely to discharge their weapons. I wait in angst to hear a homosexual/bisexual invoke the Federal “You Hurt My Feelings Because I’m A Sociopath” Crimes legislation in defense of discharging their without someone actually engaging in physical assault.

Comment by R J Ligier — February 21, 2011 @ 7:39 pm - February 21, 2011

5. Good to read some stories on practical conservatism. If someone feels vulnerable (rightly or wrongly) he or she is entitled to protection. Forget “hate crime” legislation. Don’t get prissy – get macho.

Comment by Ben — February 21, 2011 @ 9:46 pm - February 21, 2011

6. #4: Huh?

Comment by Seane-Anna — February 21, 2011 @ 10:31 pm - February 21, 2011

7. B. Daniel, this pending legislation is NOT a gay rights act. If Texas had a law saying that only straight college students and professors could carry concealed handguns on campus and this pending legislation was a repeal of that law then, yes, this would be a gay rights issue. But that’s not what’s going on here. This proposed law would give ALL college students and professors, not just gay ones, the right to carry a concealed handgun on campus. Yes, gays will benefit but that’s not the point of the law. A looming victory for gay rights? How about a looming victory for 2nd amendment rights. That’s what’s really happening in Texas.

Comment by Seane-Anna — February 21, 2011 @ 10:58 pm - February 21, 2011

8. If Texas had a law saying that only straight college students and professors could carry concealed handguns on campus and this pending legislation was a repeal of that law then, yes, this would be a gay rights issue.

Under the Heller line of cases, such a law would be subject to heightened scrutiny under the due process clause.

Comment by Michael Ejercito — February 21, 2011 @ 11:37 pm - February 21, 2011

9. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by SteveTaff, DNC Fail!. DNC Fail! said: Texas Gays May Get Means to Protect Themselves on College Campuses http://bit.ly/ehT8cu #tcot #tlot [...]

Pingback by Tweets that mention GayPatriot » Texas Gays May Get Means to Protect Themselves on College Campuses -- Topsy.com — February 22, 2011 @ 3:23 am - February 22, 2011

10. #7 Not very good at recognizing tongue in cheek are you?

Comment by ThatGayConservative — February 22, 2011 @ 3:34 am - February 22, 2011

11. Seane-Anna,

Actually it *is* a ‘gay rights’ issue, the saem as home defense, immigration and cutting the budget are. It helps improves the lives of all Americans, gay or straight.

#9… Must… Not make…. Rimming… Jokes…

Comment by The_Livewire — February 22, 2011 @ 7:57 am - February 22, 2011

12. #4 – That would never happen because most, if not all, conservative gays see themselves as individuals first.

I certainly don’t define myself by my sexual preference. Nor should you.

Lock ‘n load, baby! Got my Glock ready at a moment’s notice!

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — February 22, 2011 @ 9:09 am - February 22, 2011

13. I dunno teenagers are always a bit loopy and having known a fair number (4) that had complete mental breakdowns from the stress of college I’m not totally thrilled by this. Personally I think the last thing that kids going through puberty need is easier access to guns. But if people really feel it will make people safer we’ll find out one way or another. Personally I don’t see the value of making guns more available, nor do I think there is such a crime wave sweeping our nation that it’s a pressing issue. Considering that Arizona which has incredibly lenient gun laws can still see large scale shootings, I think at some point we have to accept that reducing the number of weapons might be more stabilizing than increasing. However the constitution doesn’t leave much wiggle room and so I think we should at least push more gun awareness and safety training.

Comment by Tim — February 22, 2011 @ 10:36 am - February 22, 2011

14. I wouldn’t mind ‘awareness and safety training’ Tim. I had that growing up, as did most of my peers. It was called ‘Goin huntin with the guys’.

I remember there was an Arkansas shooting where two kids rushed the shooter because they recognized the make of rifle and knew when he was empty. They specifically cited that they went hunting with their dads and that kind of gun.

The cliche’ “God made man, Colt made them equal” was never truer.

Comment by The_Livewire — February 22, 2011 @ 11:02 am - February 22, 2011

15. #14 – Right on, LW! ;-)

You go, sista!

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — February 22, 2011 @ 10:30 pm - February 22, 2011

16. The_Livewire at #11, I understand what you’re saying but I disagree. I feel that a gay rights issue is one which deals specifically with gays. Just because gays will benefit from some general legislation isn’t reason enough to claim the legislation is about gay rights.

Livewire, I’m a Black female. There are Black female college students and professors in Texas. They will benefit from this legislation but that doesn’t make this propsed law a Blacks’ or women’s rights issue. Laws that are intended for everyone shouldn’t be hijacked by any identity group to promote its own narrow interests. But that’s just my opinion.

And The_Livewire, your e-mail address doesn’t work.

Comment by Seane-Anna — February 22, 2011 @ 10:34 pm - February 22, 2011

17. The_Livewire@hotmail.com Try that one.

And maybe it’s the white boy in me, but I try not to see things as ‘black rights’ ‘gay rights’ ‘left handed rights’ etc. They’re human rights. You, as a black woman have a right to sit at the same lunch counter as me. Unfortunately, I feel this also means that Bill the Burger Baker has the right to refuse you service for being a black woman, or me being a left handed quarter-Jew, etc. Of course if he refused you service, I’d go somewhere else. (I assume you’d do the same).

It’s the hard part about being a truly free society. Karls Klan Kleaners *should* be able to put up the ‘no dogs, Jews or coloureds’ sign without fear of reprisal. I don’t have a ‘right’ to use his private business, and to force him to let me infringes on his rights.

Now Karl would have to see me if he was a FEMA employee, or worked for the DMV. He’d have to subsume his own dislike of my heritage because he willingly agreed to be an employee of the state.

Thus ends my rambling.

Comment by The_Livewire — February 23, 2011 @ 8:27 am - February 23, 2011

18. Forgot to add the classic discrimination story.

Grouch Marx was at a country club once and saw a sign “No Jews in the pool.” He turned to his host, “My daughter’s only half Jewish, can she go in up to her knees?” sometimes well placed humor can be as scathing as the loudest rant.

Comment by The_Livewire — February 23, 2011 @ 8:29 am - February 23, 2011

19. [...] one of the speakers for the gay wingnut contingent is referring to this as a, wait for [...]

Pingback by Truth Wins Out - For Gay Conservatives, Lax Gun Laws Are Gay Rights Victories? — February 23, 2011 @ 3:42 pm - February 23, 2011