Canceling a gay pride event to avoid offending religious conservatives!?! UPDATED

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 6:36 pm - March 14, 2011.
Filed under: Coalition of the Oppressed,Gay PC Silliness

Someone should alert Gary Bauer and others who seek an end to gay pride parades.  Gay activists in the UK want to cancel a march because it might offend members of a particular religious group.  So, maybe ol’ Gary should just follow their lead claim offense; gay groups on this side of the pond will surely capitulate.

Fearing that a gay pride parade in London’s East End “will cause tensions between gay people and Muslims“, some activists want to cancel a march scheduled in response to “to anti-gay stickers plastered around the East End“:

An open letter signed by Out East chair Thierry Schaffauser and Terry Stewart of the Hackney Community Engagement Board claims that the Pride march may “divide our communities” or be used “to oppress other marginalised groups”.

Out East organises Hackney Pride and the letter has also been signed by Denis Fernando of Unite Against Fascism and the Greater London Association of Trade Union Councils.

It says: “We believe that the most appropriate response to the stickers is to liaise with Muslim communities and others to create bridges and communicate with each other.

“We want both homophobia and Islamophobia addressed as a collective problem and not feed one against the other, we do not recognise these as distinct categories.

“We will refuse any attempt to divide our communities or take the risk that an LGBTQ event is used to oppress other marginalised groups, in particular LGBTQ Muslims who will be the most affected by this rising antagonism.”

That’s rich.  These folks have the view that all victims are alike; if you’re an approved victim of Western straight white male hegemony, then we need address animosity (or perceived animosity”) as a “collective problem.”  Wow, just wow.  These guys are more concerned with offending Muslims than they are with speaking out against anti-gay bigotry.

If Muslim groups have a problem with a gay pride march, wouldn’t that indicate that they harbor, um, well, politically incorrect sentiments about gay people?  It seems that some gay activists are so desperate to be part of this coalition of the oppressed that the ignore how many Islamist regimes oppress gays — while other Islamist organizations, even in Western countries, favor our marginalization if not persecution.

Meanwhile back on our own shores,

A group of gay lefty organizations who CLAIM they exist to work on behalf of gay people actually put out a press release on Friday attacking Rep. Peter King’s hearings on Islamic radicalization. Nevermind that radical Islam teaches that the penalty for being gay is DEATH. Honestly, the Onion couldn’t have written this release.

Signing on to this attack on the King hearings, a de facto defense of radical Islam, included the National Center for Lesbian Rights [NCLR], Equality California (who might as well just become the Communist Party of CA) and Lambda Legal.

Does seem these folks prefer participation in the Coalition of the Oppressed to speaking out for gay people who are truly oppressed.

Recall how Kate Kendell, Executive Director of NCLR, chose to commemorate 9/11 in 2009, by ignoring the radical Islamic ideology of the men who murdered thousands of Americans that day and focusing her ire instead on conservatives.

UPDATE:  Thanks to some of our commenters for updating with information that one of the organizers had been involved with fascist English Defence League.  So, skinheads involved with a gay pride march.  I thought those folks hated gays.  Politics do indeed make strange bedfellows.

1. EssEmm,

I’ve met some very nice Muslim women in my time. One who fled Kuwait ahead of Saddam, and another one who worked at a local convience store. While I am very pro assimilation, I’m not ‘anti-muslim’

Heck, I’ve the deepest respect for Irshad_Manji and the risks she takes.

I’m ‘anti-religious-fanatic-who-wants-to-blow-me-up-for-72-virgins’ though.

Comment by The_Livewire — March 17, 2011 @ 7:47 am - March 17, 2011

2. I read some of the comments on this page with a sad heart. I’m a straight guy of 39 with a very charming younger gay brother who I love dearly.
    My story starts when he was attacked over a year ago, he was trying to help another gay guy that was being attacked by Muslims outside a pub in East London that was hosting a gay evening. During the attack he had his arm broken, there was 8 Muslim men kicking the life out of the guy on the floor and he jumped in to help. They turned their attention onto my brother and he clearly heard one of the Muslims say whilst he was on the floor after being hit round the back of head with something “When Muslims rule this country, we will be hanging you queer boys up, Allah Akbar”.
    Until this point I personally had only ever read or seen a few disturbances by Muslims reported via the msm, such as disrespecting the return of British Troops from duty. This is mainly because I live in a area untouched by immigration. I view myself as a centre of the road sort of guy, everyone should be treated the same.
    I started and continue to undertake research, I have also been to various meetings and have been studying Islam, Islamic countries, shariah law, different types of Islamic belief sets and how these beliefs effect the relationship with everyone including other different types of Muslims.
    The left in the U.K has deserted gay people in favour of Islam, this is 100% without a doubt the situation and is purely done for votes, and are more concerned with throwing idiotic labels at people. It now seems that anyone who doesn’t agree with embracing the homophobic Islamists is a frigging Nazi or fascist.
    Before I finish, I will say that I am a proud member of the English Defence League as is also my MBA educated brother. We are not racists, fascists or Nazi’s, just patriots who actually love our Country.
    I will stand proud with my brother in defending his right to be a gay man, anywhere at any time. If this makes me a fascist then the world has become a very strange place to live in. My experiences of the people in the English Defence League has been 100% positive, I have not met any racists. fascists etc, in fact when an ex BNP politician turned up at one of our meetings he was invited to leave which he did. I would say that some are a bit rough round the edges, but they are the salt of the earth types, honest, decent and they are people that are not afraid to stand up and be counted, most are called the white working class, just the type of people the Champagne Socialists have discarded, sound familiar?

Comment by Andrew London — March 17, 2011 @ 9:41 am - March 17, 2011

3. Thanks for your comments, Andrew London. All that has to be done to rule a group Beyond The Pale is to call it “far right”. That is liberal code for Nazi and it’s a fraudulent but all too effective tactic.

Comment by EssEm — March 17, 2011 @ 12:32 pm - March 17, 2011

4. Livewire: I have met some nice individual Muslims, too. But it is Muslims as a group which are the issue. I am anti-Muslim in that I consider the religion of Islam my enemy. Not just jihadis, but mainstream Islam, which, if you study it, is an expansionist theocracy. It recognizes no distinction between Mosque and State. It is unique among world religions in that it is only its true self when it is politically dominant. That is not a quirk or an accident of history (as with the Christian Church) but stems directly from Muhammad. Nice Muslims do not solve the problem of Islam itself. Wherever Muslim numbers grow, problems result.

I know a local therapist who is an avowed Communist. He is a nice guy. But his political belief, if given free rein, is evil. I remain anti-Communist, no matter how many nice Communists I meet.

And Irshad Manji, an admirable woman, is utterly outside the Islamic mainstream. A lesbian within the most homophobic religion on earth. At best, like a Quaker among Calvinists

We disagree, but thanks for responding to my posts.

Comment by EssEm — March 17, 2011 @ 12:43 pm - March 17, 2011

5. No problem.

I agree Islam, as it currently is interpreted, has issues. I steal from Highlander and state that Islam, unlike Chrstianity hasn’t “outgrown it’s angry adolesence”.

For we ‘infidaels’ outside the religion, offering sanctuary and support to ‘radicals’ like Ms. Manji* are the best way to get Islam focused inward, like Chrstianity** is best applied.

*Irshad Manji is also evidence of my ‘all the good ones are taken or playing for the other team’ theory.

**Part of Christianity is to witness, so we don’t keep quiet. But we do accept that you must make your own choices. Conversion at the point of the sword is so 13th century.

Comment by The_Livewire — March 17, 2011 @ 1:15 pm - March 17, 2011

6. Islam, as it currently is interpreted, has issues.

It’s not the interpretation, it’s what’s in the book – and the example set by the founder. Islam really is different from Christianity. [Activate troll canard shields, here.] I’m closer to EssEm on this one.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — March 17, 2011 @ 2:50 pm - March 17, 2011

7. Conversion at the point of the sword is so 13th century.

To be precise: so 7th century. So Mohammedan. It took Christianity a few centuries to get into to it – because its founder gave His life up, among other reasons, rather than to become a fighting kind of guy. Mohammed/Islam was a bloody religion, from day one.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — March 17, 2011 @ 2:53 pm - March 17, 2011

8. 700 years, 1300 years, either way it’s out of date.

And while it would be harder to do in the modern world, I think the Koran could benefit from a ‘King James version’ where the more violent parts were disavowed.

It’s my understanding that might be more difficult as I think chronologically the Koran gets more violent in the younger passages.

Comment by The_Livewire — March 17, 2011 @ 3:57 pm - March 17, 2011

9. The violent parts of the Bible are focused on, and implicitly limited to, the Israelites taking over Canaan. There is no general admonition to convert the world at swordpoint. The “spread the message” parts of the Christian Bible do not suggest/imply swords.

In the Koran, yes, there are repeated, general admonitions to convert the world at swordpoint if necessary. And yes, the parts written later are supposed to be more insistent about that than the “peaceful” verses written initially.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — March 17, 2011 @ 4:24 pm - March 17, 2011

10. Another crucial difference between the Christian Bible and the Muslim Quran: they are not really comparable. Mainstream Islam holds the Quran in a place much more like the place of Christ in Christianity. And oddly, Muhammad is more like the Virgin Mary: She gave birth to the Incarnate Word of God in a man, he gives birth to the Uncreated Word of God, this book. The Bible is a library-like written witness to Christ unfolded over a long time, but it is Muhammad who is a living and speaking witness to the Quran, which comes solely and perfectly through him but is literally Allah’s voice, not his. Islam holds that he never performed any miracles; the Quran is the miracle.

Even with the high reverence given to the Bible in Christian history, it does not match the Muslim attitude toward their holy book. Very hard to “critique” the Quran for Muslims. It’s much like Christians criticizing Jesus himself.

And furthermore –pardon Professor EssEm– the Quran is organically embedded in a vast “secondary” literature describing the life of Muhammad as a perfect and sinless man, and the hadith and Shariah legal judgements. These are as integral to Islam as the Talmud is to orthodox Judaism. There was a “Quran alone” movement in Islam like the “Bible alone” movement of Protestantism, but it was quickly quashed.

I’ll shut up now.