Obama 2012: Where’s the enthusiasm?

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 6:09 pm - June 14, 2011.
Filed under: 2012 Presidential Election,Obama and Gay Issues

GIven the political tilt of this town (Los Angeles), particularly its gay residents, I was pleasantly surprised at Pride this past weekend to see so few Obama 2012 stickers.   Joe Solmonese may be bowing and scraping to the Democratic incumbent, but many of our gay peers (on the left) don’t seem too enthusiastic for President Obama.

Maybe it’s beginning to dawn on them that Hillary Clinton would have been a far more aggressive champion of causes near and dear to the hearts of gay activists than Obama has been.  At least Mrs. Clinton participated in gay Pride parades in New York.  Obama never participated in such celebrations in Chicago.  (Ask me again why so many gay bloggers preferred the then-junior Senator from Illinois to his then-New York counterpart.)

It’s not just left-of-center gays who aren’t all that excited about reelecting the incumbent.  The president couldn’t fill a 2,200 hundred seat concert hall in Miami for a recent fundraiser (only 980 partisans bought tickets, with some seats going for just $44, leading Ed Morrissey to observes that in the county where Obama enjoyed his largest margin in the Sunshine State, this is “a clear signal that Obama won’t get anywhere near the kind of enthusiasm he inspired in 2008, and without that, he’s very vulnerable indeed.

1. Obama doesn’t need mass enthusiasm, he just needs to get his braindead drones to turn out and suppress the vote for his opponent. If he can’t get a Third Party stalking horse candidate (such as what saved Deval Patrick in Massachusetts and flipped NY-26 to the dramacrat) to enter the race, he’ll used the Harry Reid scorched Earth strategy and rely on his media arm to attack and destroy his opponent.

2012 will be the ugliest campaign yet. If you think the media were in the tank for Obama in 2008, you haven’t seen anything yet.

Comment by V the K — June 14, 2011 @ 6:21 pm - June 14, 2011

2. And violent. Just in Wisconsin, we’ve seen the Obama Party and Obama Party candidates sending death threats to Republicans, threatening to bomb public buildings, and now saying how they want to “smack around” women who disagree with them.

The Obamabots like Levi are getting desperate. Their Obamamessiah has demonstrated his incompetence and provided a massive exposure of how racist thoughts and ideology completely dominate the Obama Party and progressivism. Since they can’t convince people to vote for them now, they’ve already started blackmailing with violence.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — June 14, 2011 @ 7:05 pm - June 14, 2011

3. Some chick on Bill Nelson’s FB page told me that they were “fired up” about 2012. I’m not seeing it.

BTW, do liberals not have the stones to run against Obama? I thought surely somebody would, but nobody that I know of is talking about it.

Comment by TGC — June 14, 2011 @ 7:20 pm - June 14, 2011

4. The other thing you have to remember is that this time around we don’t have everyone dog-piling on Bush and playing him up as the worst President ever ever ever. With that constant harangue going on it was easier for Obama to be the savior. Obama’s supporters are going to vote for him again, but they aren’t brave enough to get out and celebrate that. It’s about the way I felt about voting for McCain…I didn’t really think he was the best choice from the conservative pool of candidates, but he was the one we got.

Comment by Hunter — June 14, 2011 @ 7:29 pm - June 14, 2011

5. I don’t think Obama’s base is coming out due to the stagflation he created. The best example is the Miami fundraiser for 2200 people, yet only 980 came out:

Like in 2010, Obama is trying to replicate 2008; however, he cannot. Obama has a visible record of ObamaCare & Porkulus among other toxic things while he runs on green energy & green jobs amid the stagflation. The man is an idiot.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — June 14, 2011 @ 7:30 pm - June 14, 2011

6. Rumor has it that Barry played in his own gay pride events back in the day in Chicago.

Ah, but PALIN EMAILS!!!!!

Comment by Bruce (GayPatriot) — June 14, 2011 @ 7:40 pm - June 14, 2011

7. I saw a 2012 sticker on a Hummer driving up Laurel Cyn from the gym. THe passenger happened to be Black.

Comment by Zeke — June 14, 2011 @ 8:15 pm - June 14, 2011

8. I’m not convinced that Obama is going to lose next year. The current crop of GOP candidates do not inspire much confidence. Perry might be able to change the field. I saw that he met with Giuliani which I found to be curious. Perhaps offering him a cabinet position if Rudy will sit this one out or maybe even feeling him out on a possible Perry/Giuliani ticket?

Comment by JohnAGJ — June 14, 2011 @ 9:12 pm - June 14, 2011

9. Do conservatives attend Gay Pride events anyway?

I was searching for GOProud’s table at L.A.’s Gay Pride last weekend, but I couldn’t find them. They weren’t in the parade on Sunday morning either.

Maybe next year.

Comment by James — June 14, 2011 @ 9:33 pm - June 14, 2011

10. I saw a few Obama 2012 stickers when I was back in the DC area two weeks ago. That surprised me because I couldn’t imagine who would be dumb enough to want to put one of those things on their cars.

Nevertheless, I agree with V the K that Obama doesn’t need mass enthusiasm. The Republicans need mass enthusiasm to beat him, though. Obama is going to have the lame stream media on his side, no matter what, which is an extra disadvantage that the Republican candidate will have to work against. And although he won’t get as many younger voters as he did in 2008, I suspect that more of them will stay home than vote for a Republican candidate. After all, most of them have been taught for years by the media and the schools that Republicans are pure evil, and unfortunately that kind of programming takes years to overcome.

Comment by Kurt — June 15, 2011 @ 12:05 am - June 15, 2011

11. Do conservatives attend Gay Pride events anyway?

I don’t need a parade to be proud of who I am.

Apparently, neither does David Geffen, nor any other similarly wealthy, famous gay men.

If that’s the best argument you can muster, perhaps you’d consider trying again.

Comment by Eric in Chicago — June 15, 2011 @ 8:02 am - June 15, 2011

12. Dude – it’s summer break.
    (Helmet hair tumbles over iPod cords.)
    Wake me up after next year’s summer break.
    (Drops skateboard, steps on, pushes off.)

Comment by Jeremayakovka — June 15, 2011 @ 11:17 am - June 15, 2011

13. (Ask me again why so many gay bloggers preferred the then-junior Senator from Illinois to his then-New York counterpart.)

Political correctness. Black beats gay or female.

Comment by Lumen — June 15, 2011 @ 12:23 pm - June 15, 2011

14. […] just that, as I noted on Tuesday, “Mrs. Clinton participated in gay Pride parades in New York.  Obama never participated in […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Why did gay activists prefer Obama to Hillary in 2008 contest for Dem. nomination when he done less for gays than she? — June 16, 2011 @ 3:04 pm - June 16, 2011