Juvenile antics of gay left:
not an effective means to win friends and influence people

Yeah, this is a great strategy to show that gay people are emotionally balanced:

A horde of glitter-wielding gay “barbarians” on Thursday paid a visit to a clinic owned by GOP presidential candidate Michele Bachmann and her husband, Marcus. . . .

Once the horde was notified that Marcus, a strategist for his wife’s presidential campaign, was not at the clinic, their leader told the group, “All right, folks, Marcus isn’t coming out so we’re gonna have to act like barbarians.”

With that, the smiling group of about 10 showered the waiting room with glitter while chanting, “You can’t pray away the gay, baby I was born this way.”

Fortunately, these juveniles in need of venting their rage in the public square and drawing attention to themselves are not representative of the gay community.  Let’s hope that gay leaders denounce their childish antics.

This is not to deny these folks the opportunity to criticize Mr. Bachmann and the practices at his clinic, but to criticize their manner of taking issue with him.  Indeed, we should take him to task for his comments on the “sinful nature” of homosexual behavior, but in a civil manner, likely to win favor for our arguments, not gain sympathy for the man under attack.

Taking issue with these clowns, Sister Toldjah contrasts their actions with GOProud’s attempts to meet with Mrs. Bachmann:

Whatever you feel about “gay rights” issues, you have to respect [GOProud Chairman Chris] Barron’s position. It’s amazing what happens once you take liberal narcissism out of the equation, isn’t it? Gay conservatives want answers about Bachmann’s various policy positions, including issues of interest to the gay community – and, unlike HRC and the like, Chris Barron is going to get them.

Then again, storming the yards of private homes and stages of invited guest speakers and the lobbies of legitimate businesses has become standard operating mode for radical liberals and their drone-like minions when they can’t get what they want, as we’ve seen widely over the last few years as the entitlement mentality of the left rears its ugly head again and again.

Read the whole thing.  The tactics these folks are using against the Bachmanns coupled with the excessive media scrutiny of the charismatic Congressman are beginning to make me sympathize with a couple for whom, until recently, I had little regard.

Look, I think “reparative therapy” is built on misunderstanding and promoted with deception.  Let’s address some of its proponents’ misconceptions about homosexuality and their minuscule success rate and not engage in antics which might generate sympathize for its proponents.

NB:  Changed the title shortly after posting this.

1. My concern would be getting that crap in your eyes, nares and lungs. Also glitter contains mica, and some people are allergic to it. Seems to me that the idiotic prancing pu**ies are putting people’s health at risk.

But they care™ more than you do. If their little prank backfired and put a person at risk ‘twould be interesting to see if they could weasel out by apologizing.

Comment by TGC — July 22, 2011 @ 4:40 am - July 22, 2011

2. Technically isn’t that vandalism or loitering or something?

I mean when the DoJ is prosecuting this guy surely there’s some real crime they could pursue.

(Bonus, the man cited in the article is one of the men who testified against the Black Panthers. It’s the Chicago way, baby!)

Comment by The_Livewire — July 22, 2011 @ 7:31 am - July 22, 2011

3. I’m sure they could take these people to civil court and get a judgement to pay for cleaning up all that “gay” glitter.

Comment by Richard Bell — July 22, 2011 @ 7:42 am - July 22, 2011

4. Actually, I think this sort of protest serves a useful purpose. If all protests looked alike, the only thing drawing attention would be the fact of the protest, and the message would be lost in the dull, steady drumbeat of repetition. The variety of envelopes makes the message more meaningful when the serious envelopes are sorted out.

Getting a judgment for cleanup? Entirely possible, but to what end? The cost of getting it, together with the cost of enforcing it, would likely exceed the cost of simply doing the cleanup. It would be no mean value to put the judgment on the protestors’ public records, but that’s likely the only thing of practical value to result.

Eric Hines

Comment by E Hines — July 22, 2011 @ 8:58 am - July 22, 2011

5. If the world could see the author of this blog and how kind, considerate and thoughtful he and most of the gay community truly is we would all be in a better place. One day…..

Comment by jann — July 22, 2011 @ 10:07 am - July 22, 2011

6. Yeah, these people are totally mature and responsible enough for marriage.

/sarc

Comment by V the K — July 22, 2011 @ 12:25 pm - July 22, 2011

7. Those immature idiots may have done more harm to the gay community. I would hope that any reasonable person would say this is not representative of the the larger gay community. Their prank could play into the hands of ignorant rednecks who would use it as an excuse for gay bashing.

Comment by Roberto — July 22, 2011 @ 12:49 pm - July 22, 2011

8. “Their prank could play into the hands of ignorant rednecks who would use it as an excuse for gay bashing.”

No offense, but I find it funny that you’re worried that people living up one stereotype would be taken advantage of by another sterotype.

And Eric, I’m not sure why you’re applauding this. Would you support firebombing an HIV clinic? After all that would ‘serve a useful purpose’. I’m sure that getting a judgement against the firebombers would ‘likely exceed the cost of simply doing the cleanup. It would be no mean value to put the judgment on the protestors’ public records, but that’s likely the only thing of practical value to result.’

Comment by The_Livewire — July 22, 2011 @ 1:09 pm - July 22, 2011

9. Robert, is it gay bashing when someone addresses your sociopathic behavior?

Comment by rjligier — July 22, 2011 @ 1:21 pm - July 22, 2011

10. Typical liberal Democrat strategy: symbolism over substance. I suspect they hope to end up on TV news shows or something to gain recognition for themselves without resolving any differences. But hey, at least it’s Friday!

Comment by Dottie Laird — July 22, 2011 @ 1:56 pm - July 22, 2011

11. Regarding #4 about the judgment for cleaning up the lobby. Why can’t they sue for the clean up costs in small claims court? Guesstimating the cost, I would think that’s where such a suit should belong.

Comment by Louise B — July 22, 2011 @ 2:51 pm - July 22, 2011

12. I think we all – Liberal and Conservative – should take a moment to censure ourselves before we start criticizing other members of our LGBT community. The point is that we all think differently and envision various means for getting our voices heard. What one person responds positively to, another responds negatively. We need multiple methods for liberation. When I read comments here such as “idiotic prancing pu**ies” I worry that we’re fighting each other with hetero rhetoric that will only serve to keep us down. No oppressed community will ever be COMPLETELY united, but let’s try to respect all of our brothers and sisters in an effort toward solidarity.

Comment by Chris H — July 22, 2011 @ 4:27 pm - July 22, 2011

13. I think we all – Liberal and Conservative – should take a moment to censure ourselves before we start criticizing other members of our LGBT community.

You’re on the wrong website for this.

Try going over to GLAAD-endorsed blogs like JoeMyGod, Truth Wins Out, Box Turtle Bulletin, Pam’s House Blend or the like where they and their commenters refer to gay and lesbian conservatives as “kapos”, “Jewish Nazis”, “traitors”, and the like.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — July 22, 2011 @ 4:56 pm - July 22, 2011

14. “Look, I think “reparative therapy” is built on misunderstanding and promoted with deception.”

As much as I don’t think this type of therapy works, I disagree with this premise. There are benefits to getting therapy, but these therapies are based on understanding the patient. To me, the patients misunderstand themselves. I don’t think there is therapy to affirm gay sexual identity. Most people don’t think much of their sexuality in this sense. As for the therapy’s promotion, people have faith that it works from their own experience. This cannot be disputed in any sense. Only the patient can make a value judgement of effectiveness. Certainly the professionals can argue, but we already know the mainstream psychiatric professionals are against it for political reasons. Thus, we can’t really say it helps or it hurts. In the end, it might just make a doctor richer and the patient poorer. I don’t think there’s lasting damage. The result can still be useful and reaffirm their sexuality whether they are gay (no more doubts), or straight (such as the urges might be) or bisexual (have it both ways).

Comment by anon23532 — July 22, 2011 @ 5:34 pm - July 22, 2011

15. 5.If the world could see the author of this blog and how kind, considerate and thoughtful he and most of the gay community truly is we would all be in a better place. One day…..

I think the homosexual and heterosexual communities all to often end up taking it on the chin because young males (Mostly) can not contol themselves or see no reason to control themselves in public or private. (OMG, did I just agree with Larry Kramer?)

Comment by Richard Bell — July 22, 2011 @ 5:35 pm - July 22, 2011

16. Chris H, why do you think it is so important for homosexuals to be united? Is homosexuality really significant enough to warrant the establishment of a community that views itsef in opposition to the “hetero” community? That is dangerous thinking; it would do more for the homosexual community to abandon collectivism and integrate itself in with the rest of society. Also, homosexuals are NOT oppressed in Western society. Enough with the identity politics and the victim complex already.

Comment by Naamloos — July 22, 2011 @ 5:49 pm - July 22, 2011

17. hehe.. looks like someone else took my monkier…

Comment by The Original Chris H — July 22, 2011 @ 6:36 pm - July 22, 2011

18. Naamloos, guess you didn’t consider Chris H final sentence

Comment by rusty — July 22, 2011 @ 6:48 pm - July 22, 2011

19. rjligier

The name is ROBERTO, Bashing is me kicking a redneck´s ass up one side the street and down the either.

Comment by Roberto — July 22, 2011 @ 7:13 pm - July 22, 2011

20. rusty, actually I did consider it. I assumed when he said “brothers and sisters” he meant gays and lesbians. If that is not what he meant, then I apologize.

Comment by Naamloos — July 22, 2011 @ 7:51 pm - July 22, 2011

21. can you imagine the outcry if conservatives acted this way with pro-gay, or liberals in general? Throwing glitter on people – they would be charged with assault and more….. stuff like this is why I refuse to identify with the liberal gay cause – they make us all look bad

Comment by Mark — July 22, 2011 @ 9:07 pm - July 22, 2011

22. Roberto,

Lots of us Rednecks would explain to you the flaw of your beliefs, while kicking your ass up one side of the street and down the other.

Comment by The_Livewire — July 22, 2011 @ 9:33 pm - July 22, 2011

23. If the world could see the author of this blog and how kind, considerate and thoughtful he and most of the gay community truly is we would all be in a better place.

I wholeheartedly agree with that statement for all five of the regular authors (Bruce, Herr Doktor Blatt, Nick, Sarjex, and the fetching young Mr. Olsen).

And also, I will gladly proclaim that my life has been greatly enriched in meeting and getting to know several of the regulars here, both in person (ILoveCapitalism, Peter Hughes, Leah) and through the Web (Livewire, Heliotrope, TGC, Namloos, and the irrepressible V the K).

It sounds hokey, guys (and gals), but you are some of the little lights that continue to convince me that there is hope for a community that seems hopelessly anchored to bitterness, bigotry, and nihilistic hatred.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — July 22, 2011 @ 10:11 pm - July 22, 2011

24. Irrepressible? I’d rather be fetching.

Comment by V the K — July 23, 2011 @ 9:44 am - July 23, 2011

25. You are fetching in your irrepressiblity, V. :)

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — July 23, 2011 @ 12:43 pm - July 23, 2011

26. Livewire,

I noticed that you used the plural, How about one on one.

Comment by Roberto — July 23, 2011 @ 2:38 pm - July 23, 2011

27. We need multiple methods for liberation.

Liberation? And from what? Are you chained up to a radiator somewhere?

Comment by TGC — July 23, 2011 @ 3:26 pm - July 23, 2011

28. Roberto,

Heck, I’ve no qualms about one or one or en mas. I also believe in snipers, salting the earth, and overwhelming odds. If you’re going to advocate violence, don’t be surprised when you bite off more than you chew.

I find it sad that you’re the one being willing to disparage an entire group. How… liberal of you.

Comment by The_Livewire — July 23, 2011 @ 10:51 pm - July 23, 2011