Whiner-in-Chief

Do the editors of Yahoo! think it helps President Obama to show him more than two-and-one-half years into his term whining about the mess he “inherited”:

He sounds not like a leader who has successfully pushed his policies through the legislature, but a man who has just taken charge of a failing company:

President Barack Obama said on Monday he inherited many of the country’s problems with high debt and deficits when he entered the White House, sounding a theme likely to dominate his 2012 re-election campaign.

Speaking at a Democratic fundraiser, where families paid $15,000 to get a picture with him, Obama defended his economic record and noted that problems in Europe were affecting the United States.

“We do have a serious problem in terms of debt and deficit, and much of it I inherited,” Obama said.

At some point, he needs to take responsibility for the failure of his policies to achieved their desired effect and that he knew he’d be inheriting when he applied for the job?

And now instead of rolling up his sleeves to fix the problems, he’s looking forward to campaigning against Republicans, “What we’re going to have is 16 months in which we debate this vision for America, and it’s going to be as fundamental a debate as 2008″.

Sixteen months of debate?

What bout twelve months of hard work?  Putting forward plans and policies to show he knows what he’s doing and merits another four years in the White House.

I mean, he doesn’t have a Democratic primary opponent and the actual campaign won’t ramp up until next summer’s conventions.  Seems he’d rather campaign for the presidency than do his job.

FROM THE COMMENTS:  ILoveCapitalism offers, “The President’s job is to fix inherited messes; otherwise, why have him?” Indeed.

UPDATE:  Turns out Obama’s current whining it at odds with his own rhetoric.  Jim Geraghty alerts us to an RNC ad which reminds us what the president said just six months after taking office:

The RNC can be cruel sometimes, reminding us all that back in July 2009, Obama declared, “My administration has a job to do as well. That job is to get this economy back on its feet. That’s my job, and it’s a job I gladly accept. I love these folks who helped get us in this mess and then suddenly say, ‘Well this is Obama’s economy.’ That’s fine. Give it to me. My job is to solve problems, not to stand on the sidelines and carp and gripeSo, I welcome the job. I want the responsibility.”

Emphasis (but not underline) added.  Your job is to solve problems, Mr. President, you said so yourself.  So quit whining about the problems you inherited because two years ago you told us you gladly accepted the responsibility of facing the inherited problem of a bad economy.

1. Obama’s habit of excuse making will not carry well in 2012. It holds his base and keeps them nodding. But that string runs out at 45%.

It will be one strange nominating speech next September. Then next morning Obama will try to hit the ground running with some big swing thru VA or FL, and at 8:30 an unemployment rate gets announced.

Comment by Geena — August 9, 2011 @ 6:45 pm - August 9, 2011

2. I have never seen a more thin-skinned, finger-pointing, unqualified president in my entire life. At least he can read very well from a teleprompter.

Comment by Charles — August 9, 2011 @ 7:09 pm - August 9, 2011

3. Obama needs a diaper change & a new pacifier; he already broke his new teleprompter.

But seriously, Obama’s need to blame others for his mistakes gets old real quick. Most people are turned off by him for this reason; he refuses to take responsibility for anything. 2012 is going get far worse for Obama than it is now. If he thinks he’s had a bad few weeks now, he ain’t seen nothing yet.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — August 9, 2011 @ 7:45 pm - August 9, 2011

4. I’ll tell you what else SnObama inherited from Bush: a AAA bond rating.

And yes, I went there.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — August 9, 2011 @ 7:50 pm - August 9, 2011

5. The President’s job is to fix inherited messes; otherwise, why have him?

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 9, 2011 @ 8:05 pm - August 9, 2011

6. At least he can read very well from a teleprompter.

Yes, if the teleprompter says “uh” a lot.

Seriously, Obama is pathetic. Sometimes I wish I was alive and old enough during Ronald Reagan’s presidency and Margaret Thatcher’s prime ministry to appreciate those great leaders. Obama is no leader. I can’t imagine how inspiring Reagan and Thatcher would be.

Comment by Naamloos — August 9, 2011 @ 11:07 pm - August 9, 2011

7. Obama’s like a keith sweat song. whine, whine, whine, whine, whine.

Comment by Savannah — August 10, 2011 @ 12:38 am - August 10, 2011

8. Obama assumed the mantle of Queen Bee, not some messy side show where you can not vote “present” and where you have to get your hands dirty.

Comment by Heliotrope — August 10, 2011 @ 9:37 am - August 10, 2011

9. Obama isn’t even a Queen Bee since they too lead.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — August 10, 2011 @ 11:26 am - August 10, 2011

10. [...] the update to my post on the president’s latest plaint about the problems he inherited, I quoted something President Obama said two years ago: My administration has a job to do as well. That job is to get this economy back on its feet. [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Why Do We Have to Wait for the President’s “Fresh Ideas” on Jobs? — August 13, 2011 @ 1:36 am - August 13, 2011