Expectedly, Sarah Palin announces she won’t run for president

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 2:05 am - October 6, 2011.
Filed under: 2012 Presidential Election,Sarah Palin

I never expected Sarah Palin to run for president.  She’s smart and knows that should she falter in the campaign, she would lose some of the cachet she has in certain conservative circles.  Plus, it does seem she enjoys her life now as a conservative celebrity.

It came as little surprise thus when she announced as much “in a letter to supporters Wednesday night that was obtained by ABC News and read aloud on the Mark Levin radio program.”

Allahpundit explains why, he believes, the accomplished Alaska reformer “did the smart thing by staying out“:

Just yesterday, CBS found that three out of four Republicans didn’t want her to run compared to just 23 percent who did. Her favorable numbers have been underwater for ages and she would have been hammered on the inexperience charge for failing to finish her term as governor. I do think she could have emerged as the “Not Romney” in the race over Cain and a weakened Perry, but realistically there was no way to beat Mitt once it was a binary choice.  . . . . Worse, there was a chance that she wouldn’t even emerge as the “Not Romney”: If Perry or Cain ended up faring better than her in Iowa or South Carolina, it would have shattered her mystique as the ultimate champion of grassroots conservatives. By staying out, her supporters now get to say “she would have won if she ran” without ever having to test their theory and she gets to kinda sorta play kingmaker as people wait to see if she’ll endorse Perry, Cain, or (gasp) Romney.

Emphasis added.  Sarah Palin can read poll numbers as well as any politician.  She’s not in a strong position to win the Republican nomination (and in an even weaker position to unseat the unsuccessful incumbent).  Should she falter in the primaries, her charisma would likely not be able to rescue her reputation.

She’ll remain a kingmaker.  Her endorsement could well help decide the contest.  Whatever the case, the former governor seems to be enjoying herself now.  Having already experienced the rigors of a presidential campaign, she may rest a little easier that she will no longer have to subject herself to that grueling routine.

And she’ll still be able to make sport of the mainstream media.

1. Sarah’s detractors can flail until they are blue in the face but they can’t change the fact that nobody, and I mean nobody, gets the number of hits on facebook she does. She is the strongest republican with the female vote. Way stronger than, Bachmann.

I think she did the right thing because the left would have gone after her children relentlessly and that alone would have dtstracted from any message she had.

Funny how republicans have to worry about their families being abused but democrats do not.

Comment by Richard Bell — October 6, 2011 @ 4:29 am - October 6, 2011

2. I agree, Richard Bell. There has been nothing more sickening in the politics of the last few years than the left attacking Sarah Palin’s children. It has cemented in my mind just how nasty and horrible the people on the other side are.

Comment by V the K — October 6, 2011 @ 5:53 am - October 6, 2011

3. I never expected Sarah Palin to run for president.

Did you say it on the blog, before the announcement? 🙂

Allahpundit explains why, he believes, the accomplished Alaska reformer “did the smart thing”…

Why the emphasis on what is supposed to be ‘smart’ for her politically? Why not credit her simply with being a real person, who does the right thing for her family?

nobody, gets the number of hits on facebook she does

For good reason: her ability to articulate what has gone wrong economically and we why need “free-market populism” (small government and sound money) in response to it, is unmatched among the nation’s top 20 politicians.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 6, 2011 @ 8:12 am - October 6, 2011

4. I believe a Cabinet position, especially Energy, would be a great stepping stone for Palin. She could take on the destructive green movement in a way that would enhance her resume as well as help the country by producing jobs and eliminating destructive green policies at the Dept of Energy. That position then possibly another like Defense or State or VP in second administration would set her up to run credibly in 2020 when her youngest child will be a teen.

Comment by Texas Mom 2012 — October 6, 2011 @ 8:31 am - October 6, 2011

5. As a Palinista, I am relieved.

We have serious problems and a Palin run would have been energizing to the MSM and clown school comedians. We would have had 24/7 gaff tracks that would have been impossible to deflect.

Erroneously, Reagan was credited with having a Teflon coating. That missed the point. What was thrown at Reagan didn’t stick with the people. What is thrown at Palin does. She is stupid, shrill, goofy, articulation challenged, a quitter, hillbilly trash, a slutty stewardess, baby factory, buffoon. Ask any person who does not share a liking for Palin about her and the list of invectives is increased.

So, now we Palinistas can relax a bit and enjoy our Momma Grizzly going after the weasels who are in it to sell snake oil.

Comment by Heliotrope — October 6, 2011 @ 9:25 am - October 6, 2011

6. I agree with most of what Heliotrope says. The only exception is that I’m not a Palinista. However, I believe that Sarah Palin’s real value to the party and the country is her ability to continually poke and prod us to the right place regardless of the slime flung in her direction. Her candidacy would have been a disaster for the Repurblicans because all the LSM’s attention and vitriole would have been directed to her and drawn focus away from the other candidates.

Comment by Mary — October 6, 2011 @ 9:57 am - October 6, 2011

7. Agreed. What Palin realized, I think, is that the back of the leftist media needs to be broken before she could ever reliably run again. Furthermore, as a stalking horse, she is able to attract the desperate Obamabots who need a target, which is a help to the eventual Republican candidate.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — October 6, 2011 @ 11:40 am - October 6, 2011

8. […] San Francisco Chronicle. And “Palin can read poll numbers as well as any politician,” says B. Daniel Blatt at Gay Patriot. Heck, in one poll, three-quarters of Republicans didn’t want her to […]

Pingback by Why Sarah Palin isn’t running for president: 5 theories (The Week) | Breaking News Today — October 6, 2011 @ 12:30 pm - October 6, 2011

9. I hate to recycle comments, but here’s what I put on another (non-gay) blog that bears repeating:

Personally, I would love to see President-Elect Cain nominate Sarah as Secretary of State, just to watch Chris Matthews have a meltdown on live TV!

(Hey, I can dream, can’t I?) 😉

Other dream Cabinet picks as follows:

Defense – John Bolton
    Treasury – Paul Ryan
    Justice – Rudy Giuliani
    Interior – Susannah Martinez
    Agriculture – Rick Perry
    Commerce – Mitt Romney
    Labor – Scott Walker (just so the SEIU will have a fit)
    HHS – Tom Coburn
    HUD – Chris Christie
    Transportation – Scott Brown
    Energy – Bobby Jindal
    Education – Forget about it, we’re going to abolish it by executive order
    Veterans’ Affairs – Allen West (former vet)
    Homeland Security – Jan Brewer (and watch the La Raza crowd go loco)
    Federal Reserve Chairmain – Ron Paul (just to satisfy the Ronulans)
    UN Ambassador – Michelle Bachmann (see Palin above)

And WH Press Secretary…Ann Coulter or Michelle Malkin!

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — October 6, 2011 @ 1:12 pm - October 6, 2011

10. Keeping Hillary at State, then? 🙂

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 6, 2011 @ 1:30 pm - October 6, 2011

11. the back of the leftist media needs to be broken

Yeah. How?

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 6, 2011 @ 1:30 pm - October 6, 2011

12. Aargh, sorry Peter, my eyes didn’t catch your first line! Was reading too fast, went straight for the smilie and the list.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 6, 2011 @ 1:31 pm - October 6, 2011

13. I was never really worked up about a Palin candidacy one way or the other. Fair or not, her quitting the governorship was her biggest detraction IMO which would have hurt her if she had of thrown her hat into the ring. Yet I figured that she was happy doing what she has been doing the past couple of years and didn’t want the headache. I didn’t particularly want her as president but never hated her. I wish her well.

Comment by JohnAGJ — October 6, 2011 @ 4:11 pm - October 6, 2011

14. I think she’s made the right call, and I agree with what Heliotrope and Mary said. I don’t think she was ever presidential material for various reasons, though she might have made a reasonable VP. She’s doing a fine job just as she is – campaigner without official portfolio, as it were – and should be left to do it.

Aussie conservative blogger Andrew Bolt calls this “a distraction disposed of”, which IMO is a bad way of making a good point – she’s ended the whole “Will she, won’t she?” circus, and now hopefully the GOP can get on with finding its best candidate.

Comment by perturbed — October 6, 2011 @ 7:47 pm - October 6, 2011

15. Whoever the Republican president may be, I hope he/she brings in a talented gay to redecorate the Oval Office with stuff from Target.

Only Herman Cain and Sarah Palin would do it. Everyone else would take a poll first and spend painful hours explaining how they settled on competing styles.

Comment by Heliotrope — October 6, 2011 @ 8:57 pm - October 6, 2011

16. Heh, so much for the wolf skin rug in the oval office. 🙂

Comment by The_Livewire — October 7, 2011 @ 8:00 am - October 7, 2011

17. Part of me wants it to be Herman Cain, partly to see what the frothing left has to say about the GOP running a black candidate and partly because his strength seems to be turning economic basket-cases into success stories. Without wishing to offend anyone, I think that’s what the US needs right now.

Putting aside my own problems with Cain for the moment, I have to agree with you here. It would be a very interesting race and Cain as the GOP nominee would benefit the GOP as well as the USA whether the man won the race or not. I’m always in favor of giving more choices to folks. Obama did that for the DNC and the USA and I think Cain would as well.

Comment by JohnAGJ — October 7, 2011 @ 8:32 am - October 7, 2011

18. Whoever the Republican president may be, I hope he/she brings in a talented gay to redecorate the Oval Office with stuff from Target.

I could care less whether the decorator is gay or not, but if you’re looking for where to purchase stuff to decorate the Oval Office make it WalMart. The cacophony of outrage would be amusing to see. Regardless, I’ll be happy if they just rip that damn wallpaper off the walls in the Oval Office. I prefer the traditional white walls, it’s not as tacky.

Comment by JohnAGJ — October 7, 2011 @ 8:34 am - October 7, 2011

19. Of course….because as a “conservative celebrity” she can say what she wants with no proof and no real scrutiny. She already seems to think that if something gets pesky in the White House for the President, then Prez can just have the WH “legal office” make it go away.

*should* she falther? LOL. *certain conservatives* = some real dummies.

*Alaska Reformer* = quitter.

Comment by Kevin — October 8, 2011 @ 11:46 pm - October 8, 2011

20. Kevin, you are, quite possibly, the most politically ignorant, intellectually-challenged, computer-savvy enfant terrible I have ever encountered.

Rarely have I ever borne witness to such an unfortunate soul who, gazing into a mirror, is as sure that their reflection is that of their worst enemy as they are that the sky is blue.

Seriously, were it not for your entertainment value in the world, I’m quite certain Darwinism would’ve eradicated you and your fellow ignorati generations ago.

Comment by Eric Olsen — October 9, 2011 @ 1:20 pm - October 9, 2011