Isn’t that what the Democrats did in 2008?

Lead article in New Republic’s daily e-mail: Yes, the GOP Just Might Nominate a Candidate Patently Unqualified to Be President.

FROM THE COMMENTS:  To a post I hacked out in a minute or so because a witty rejoinder popped into my head when I read the headline, darkeyedresolve offers a most thoughtful bit of commentary:

Because, before someone points out how bad he has been, supporters of whoever can still say you don’t need experience to win the national election. So we will get more people who sound good and less people who have a good resume.

Indeed.

1. According to the article you linked to, the answer to your blog post title would be “no.” Although, I wonder which presidential candidate they were talking about as being patently unqualified. I don’t know a lot about presidential election history before 1912.

Comment by Cinesnatch — October 24, 2011 @ 1:42 pm - October 24, 2011

2. For the record, I didn’t read the article. The title just popped into my head as I was going through my e-mail. And I’m sure the author will try to spin his title to make Obama appear qualified when he manifestly wasn’t.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — October 24, 2011 @ 1:48 pm - October 24, 2011

3. According to the article you linked to, the answer to your blog post title would be “no.”

Wait a second….

Are you actually trying to sell Obama as having been qualified to the office of POTUS???

What did I ask you last night about selling crazy? Not only was I quite clear, I thought I was extraordinarily nice about it.

Comment by Eric Olsen — October 24, 2011 @ 1:56 pm - October 24, 2011

4. I not yet convinced that Cain’s unqualified….perhaps unpolished….but I think he has the right instincts for the Big Picture and the 3am phone call. There’s still over 9, 10 months to the GOP Convention and 13 months to the 2011 General Election, plenty of time to develop some of that polish. Besides I don’t want a “perfect campaigner”, we had that with Slick Willy and Chicago-way Barry.

Theodore Roosevelt was considered too-green and wasn’t expected to be President…ever…, yet he winged-it to be one of the 20th Century most memorable and successful Presidents.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — October 24, 2011 @ 1:56 pm - October 24, 2011

5. Are you actually trying to sell Obama

No, the author of the article is (Post #1: “According to the article you linked to”).

Comment by Cinesnatch — October 24, 2011 @ 2:05 pm - October 24, 2011

6. I found it more amusing how the article says that neither party has actually nominated someone qualified for the office in awhile…which is probably more true than false. I just see the standards continuing to slip as time goes on, and Obama now gives both sides an excuse to continue the trend.

Comment by darkeyedresolve — October 24, 2011 @ 2:44 pm - October 24, 2011

7. From the article …

“As a result, NEITHER party has NOMINATED a patently UNQUALIFIED candidate for president in more than a century.” The article takes the stand that the traditional unofficial vetting process during presidential runs hasn’t produced someone who wasn’t qualified, until, they believe, Cain, who hovers somewhere between qualified and extreme. I am not supporting this point of view, but can we all get on board that this is what the author is trying to convey?

Comment by Cinesnatch — October 24, 2011 @ 3:04 pm - October 24, 2011

8. An executive (a guy with a long, successful career at running stuff) is way more qualified to be President than a Senator who never accomplished squat (except his self-promotion).

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 24, 2011 @ 3:09 pm - October 24, 2011

9. Herman Cain, as CEO, has far more experience with the executive office than President Obama with none to his resume. There’s no comparison.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — October 24, 2011 @ 3:28 pm - October 24, 2011

10. TNR has gone downhill as much as The Nation; neither one is a funny as it used to be. It’s almost as if they’re trying to write serious articles…

Comment by alanstorm — October 24, 2011 @ 4:02 pm - October 24, 2011

11. Truman was “not qualified” to be President according to both Republicans AND many Democrats. Eisenhower was a mediocre do-nothing man who wasn’t there according to leading Democrat presidential “scholars.” Joe Kennedy bought the Presidency for John beginning with wooing Henry Luce from the mid-thirties according to many anti-Kennedy presidential “scholars.” Forget LBJ. The Democrat Party certainly did. Nixon …. must we go there? Ford. Chevy Chase said it all as far as history is concerned. Carter has only Michael Moore in his fan club. Reagan: “amiable dunce” anybody? Bush I:a legacy and a loser. Clinton: Character doesn’t matter when you are the smartest politician ever born and the first “black” president. Bush II: the illegitimate frat boy inheritor of the Bush “dynasty.” Obama: the President with the highest IQ in the history of mankind as well as being clean and articulate.

So, qualified does not seem to be much of a trend. After all, Joe Biden is hinting that he will run in 1916 after 8 years of training as Vice President. If Bush I remained a wimp and a loser after serving two Reagan terms, then Biden must be thinking that Oliver Hardy is a perfect mentor for his debut at the demolition derby.

Never underestimate the ability of dead wood to float to the top.

Comment by Heliotrope — October 24, 2011 @ 6:12 pm - October 24, 2011

12. Shapiro bases his premise that the couple of gaffs made by Herman will be overlooked by Republican Primary voters. If gaffs disqualifies a candidate to be President, then Obama falls in that category. Who can forget that during his capaign of 2008 he visited 57 states. Either he made a gaff or he included France, Germany, and several middle east countries he visited. As for experience, Obama was nothing more than a community organizer. In the state legislature he voted ¨present¨and never wrote a piece of legislation. His short term in the U.S. Senate was also lackluster. While he was doing nothing of worth, Herman Cain has a record of accomplishments in the business world and served on the Federal Reserve Board in Kansas City. The fact that he is an outsider is the reason I am supporting Herman. It was either him or Donald Trump. If Herman should not be the Party nominee, he or the Donald should be the VP. Their input in the Oval Office would be invaluable.

Comment by Roberto — October 25, 2011 @ 4:33 pm - October 25, 2011