He said. She said. I don’t know.

Sometime yesterday afternoon (Pacific time), after reading a brief summary of the details of Sharon Bialek’s accusation, but before finding out about f the affidavits, I wondered how much due diligence Gloria Allred had done.  Had Bialek named friends or acquaintances who could corroborate her story?  Had Miss Allred obtained affidavits from said individuals?  (Only when I learned she had did I begin to consider that there might be some truth to this tale.)

Had the female publicity hound contacted the hotel in Washington to see if Miss Bialek had rented a room?  Had Mr. Cain called to upgrade it?  Did she ask for flight records, etc.?

Now, to be sure, this happened fourteen years ago and most people don’t keep records that old, but still did she even try to track them down?  Well, seems a conservative blogger is doing the work she has apparently failed to do.  Jim Geraghty reports that he

put in a call to the Washington Hilton; one aspect of Bialek’s story should be fairly easy to verify, presuming the Hilton Corporation holds records from 1997: did Herman Cain rent a suite at the Capital Hilton in Washington D.C.?

As the multiple updates to my post yesterday indicate, I remain skeptical about Bialek’s credibility, neither convinced that she’s lying nor that she’s telling the truth.

If the charges are true, we do know that he behaved better than Bill Clinton had in similar circumstances.  When the woman said, “No,” he acceded to her request.  Mr. Clinton did not show such respect for the wishes of several women.  And yet feminists and women in the media rewarded him with their votes, support and enthusiasm while the media pillory Mr. Cain.  Mercilessly.

As to how this changes my views of Mr. Cain, well, I think he should have been better prepared to respond to the intense scrutiny which any prominent Republican should come to expect.  But, I hadn’t even been considering voting for him in the California primary, so this won’t change my vote.

All that said, the whole story does provide further evidence of the bias of the mainstream media, “The Perfect Storm of Media Hypocrisy“, as one blogger called it.  Hypocrisy matched only by the double standard when it comes to coverage of #OWS and the Tea Party.

1. ROFLMAO. You cannot claim sexual harassment or assault when state, “You know I have a boyfriend.” The issue now becomes an issue of character if there is any basis in fact to the allegations. I reserve judgment until this woman takes a polygraph in timely fashion. If character is the issue again, in the ABO Romney race, Rick Santorum and Michele Bachmann move back to the front as federalists continue battling against left/right libertarians.

Comment by rjligier — November 8, 2011 @ 6:48 am - November 8, 2011

2. She sought him out for “job hunting” advice after being terminated from her one year position with the Restaurant association – why was she terminated? Why hasn’t she worked since? If Cain was a serial harasser at the association did she not know that before seeking his advice? Also, when seeking advice it can be done over lunch or even over the phone – I don’t think one needs to arrange dinner, drinks and a hotel room. She sounds like she is straight out of some pulp fiction novel. One thing I would like to know, since these women said the advances were unwanted (although he stopped at no) and then they sued, what if he was some cute guy they liked and they felt flattered by the advances – would they still sue?

Comment by Krystal — November 8, 2011 @ 8:11 am - November 8, 2011

3. Allegations aside, the deeper question is, if Cain can’t handle sexual harassment accusations from some bimbo, how is he going to handle the proverbial 3 AM phone call.

Comment by V the K — November 8, 2011 @ 9:10 am - November 8, 2011

4. Bialek told her boyfriend and another friend, after the fact. All they can do is corroborate that she made the claims; they can’t corroborate anything of substance. I find the timing of her (and the other) publicity highly suspicious.

As to V the K’s point–the only one of substance concerning this whole Progressive charade–at this point I’m not so worried. Cain has stumbled before, both with clumsy wording and with poor handling of situations, and he’s learned, recovered, and done better. Cain made the point at the start of his campaign that he was new, he had a lot to learn, and he intended to do so.

Eric Hines

Comment by E Hines — November 8, 2011 @ 9:42 am - November 8, 2011

5. #3 V, fair question.

Here’s my question in response: Is Cain ‘unprepared’ (well obviously), or really just an outsider? I argue that they go together: a ‘prepared’ outsider may almost be a contradiction in terms. (With rare exceptions like Reagan – but then we’re trapped in ‘looking for the next Reagan’.)

We need an outsider. Not any outsider of course, but one having good principles and common sense. Almost by definition, that person is not going to be fully prepared for the ‘gotcha’ games that insiders use to destroy outsiders. At least not the first time.

Just playing devil’s advocate. Now, for what I came to say.
    – Bialek has two bankruptcies and a history of legal and financial troubles including tax liens. And Gloria Allred’s claim that she is a “registered Republican” is false.
    – One witness says that Bialek voluntarily and eagerly hugged Cain, a month ago.
    – Meanwhile, Obama’s scandals deepen as more high-stink ‘stimulus’ loans are uncovered. Oh wait, that’s barely being reported.

Any questions?

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — November 8, 2011 @ 9:49 am - November 8, 2011

6. “If the incident did occur substantially as she claims, what would it mean? A guy made a (crude) pass at a girl, she said no, he stopped. That’s hardly harassment.”

That’s exactly sexual harassment in the workplace, except in the hotel/restaurant industry where rampant sexual harassment and bearing false witness are commonplace. ““You know I have a boyfriend.” meant that she had entertained the overtures.

Comment by rjligier — November 8, 2011 @ 9:55 am - November 8, 2011

7. The Glora Allred tool met with Herman Cain a month ago at a Tea Party event where she hugged him:

Her story does not make sense in the first place; it has too many holes. Furthermore, given she has been to court 3 times in the past, she is from Chicago, & her former attorney is…David Axelrod. Obama’s David Axelrod claims he’s not the same David Axelrod who represented the Cain woman.

Coincidence?

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — November 8, 2011 @ 9:55 am - November 8, 2011

8. Trumped-up accusations, unsubstantiated claims and innuendo.

“Move along, nothing to see here. Move along.”

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — November 8, 2011 @ 11:22 am - November 8, 2011

9. I still don’t know what the heck to make of all this. It reminds me of the swill Clinton’s past dredged up in 1992, that is some of the more seedier allegations at that time made one question his character but there wasn’t enough known by the general public to really hurt his campaign. His later misconduct of course lent more credibility to these previous allegations. Pity that he was in office already though when that happened. With Cain, I’m at the same point I was back in ’92 when charges were made against Clinton: I don’t know enough about the man himself or what to make of these charges. I didn’t intend to vote for him before these claims were made, and right now still don’t regardless of them, which is a bit of deja vu given how I thought of Clinton back in ’92. The most I can say is that V the K is right: how Cain handles this mess, regardless of the veracity of these charges, will be a great test for him. I could see Cain getting the nomination, if not for prez than at least the Veep slot, if he doesn’t blow this. It will be interesting to see if he can do as Clinton was able to do back in ’92, although without the MSM as an ally.

Comment by JohnAGJ — November 8, 2011 @ 12:40 pm - November 8, 2011

10. Clinton had the MSM defending him; whereas, the MSM attacks Herman Cain.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — November 8, 2011 @ 1:52 pm - November 8, 2011

11. That’s exactly sexual harassment in the workplace….

If the incident happened as Bialek claims, it happened in Cain’s car. Further, there was no employer/employee relationship between the two; she was privately looking for assistance in getting a job.

There is no workplace factor present. Cain made a (crude) pass, she said no, he stopped.

And plainly, she thought nothing much one way or the other about it; when she met with Cain a month ago to “confront” him at a Tea party event, she hugged him and then whispered in his ear.

At this point, Cain has more credibility than Bialek.

Eric Hines

Comment by E Hines — November 8, 2011 @ 1:52 pm - November 8, 2011

12. 10: Hence why I said “although without the MSM as an ally” when referring to Cain dealing with this mess.

Comment by JohnAGJ — November 8, 2011 @ 2:17 pm - November 8, 2011

13. There is always the opportunity for sexual harassment claims whenever you are with work associates

Comment by rjligier — November 8, 2011 @ 3:56 pm - November 8, 2011

14. There is always the opportunity for sexual harassment claims whenever you are with work associates

That’s just it. Cain wasn’t with a work associate when this incident, if it happened at all, happened.

Had he persisted after Bialek said no, then he would have been harassing her, at least morally, if not legally, and perhaps legally, as well.

Eric Hines

Comment by E Hines — November 8, 2011 @ 4:14 pm - November 8, 2011

15. According to the accusation Cain stands accused of assault, not just harassment

Comment by Cinesnatch — November 8, 2011 @ 5:16 pm - November 8, 2011

16. Whether its Amy jacobson or Sharon bialek, the liar needs to be held accountable.

Comment by Cinesnatch — November 8, 2011 @ 5:48 pm - November 8, 2011

17. Last time I was working in the Corporate world, I tried to avoid EVER meeting with female co-workers without others present…especially if they were subordinate-level staff from other departments. And since in private practice I try to avoid meeting female clients at their homes unless their husbands or other family-members are present. It just makes me uncomfortable…

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — November 8, 2011 @ 5:50 pm - November 8, 2011

18. if Cain can’t handle sexual harassment accusations from some bimbo, how is he going to handle the proverbial 3 AM phone call.

Looking at it lightheartedly, the dreaded 3am phone call can be met with a counterstrike order; a vexatious harassment suit cannot.

Comment by perturbed — November 8, 2011 @ 7:36 pm - November 8, 2011

19. Time to ‘fess up, folks. Who among us has NOT been sexually harassed by Herman Cain at some point in the past?

Comment by Niall — November 8, 2011 @ 8:00 pm - November 8, 2011

20. Jacobsen’s account of the friendly encounter between Bialek and Cain one month ago seems to run contrary to Cain saying that he doesn’t recall ever meeting the woman (just saw on local ABC Los Angeles news).

Comment by Cinesnatch — November 8, 2011 @ 9:08 pm - November 8, 2011

21. If Cain is able to survive these scandals and reclaim his previous favorability ratings, he will be able to beat Obama. No question.

Comment by Cinesnatch — November 8, 2011 @ 10:22 pm - November 8, 2011

22. Even if this nonsense was true (which I doubt) Cain’s behavior is entirely defensible under the “One Free Grope” rule that feminist (and therefore Absolute Moral Authority holder on sexual harassment issues) Gloria Steinem promulgated during the Clinton scandals…

Comment by DaveP. — November 8, 2011 @ 10:43 pm - November 8, 2011

23. seems to run contrary to Cain saying that he doesn’t recall ever meeting the woman (just saw on local ABC Los Angeles news).

To you or me, probably, but to someone that’s probably met hundreds of folks over the past few months, I’m not so sure that it does.

Comment by TGC — November 9, 2011 @ 12:29 am - November 9, 2011

24. According to Jacobsen, one month ago, Bialek shared an intimate moment with Cain. Coupled with the restaurant association incident 14 years ago, that would make two meetings. So, yes, I agree with you, TGC, to someone who has met hundreds (but, really, thousands) of people over the last couple of months, her face may not ring a well. But, if they did indeed meet twice, if Jacobsen is telling the truth and is correct, then the likelihood of Cain not honestly recalling who she is diminishes a great deal.

But, ultimately, I with the truth would just come out, the liars exposed, so we can just move on to brass tax.

Comment by Cinesnatch — November 9, 2011 @ 12:54 am - November 9, 2011

25. LOL. that last comment made me sound like I had a lisp. LOL

Comment by Cinesnatch — November 9, 2011 @ 1:13 am - November 9, 2011

26. 1. I am certain Herman Cain would be a better president than the SCOAMF.
    2. I am not certain he is the best of the slate of Republican contenders.
    3. I am pretty sure the women are opportunists and bimbos.
    4. The media are being completely unfair in their mad rush to smear a black Republican.
    5. Regardless of 3 and 4, Cain has not handled this bimbo eruption in a manner that gives me confidence he could handle a national crisis.

That pretty much sums up where I am with this. I

Comment by V the K — November 9, 2011 @ 8:23 am - November 9, 2011