No need for gays to keep covering for Barney Frank

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 6:57 pm - November 9, 2011.
Filed under: Decent Democrats,Virginia Politics

Patrick Forrest may have come up short in his race for Virginia Senate, but in an Alexandria-based district far more favorable to his political party, Democrat Adam Ebbin won by a comfortable margin.  I knew — and liked — Adam back in my Northern Virginia days.  He is very liberal and extremely partisan, but is a generally nice guy.  He was always civil when we locked horns (as we did on numerous occasions).

And when the then-chair of the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) Tom Davis spoke to the Log Cabin Republican Club of Northern Virginia (while I served as the club’s president), that Democratic partisan showed up.  He braved a crowd of Republicans and listened politely when the Republican Congressman spoke, even asking a question, as I recall, and doing so in a civil tone and manner.

With Adam’s election as well as the election in successive congressional cycles of two openly gay Democrats, Colorado’s Jared Polis and Rhode Island’s David Cicilline, to the U.S. House, there’s no need for gays to keep covering for Barney Frank, the arrogant and mean-spirited Democrats from Massachusetts, unwilling to answer for his conflict of interest with a government-sponsored enterprise which he regularly defended and which now sucks cash from the federal treasury.

Polis, while very liberal, like Ebbin, appears to be a very stand-up guy.

In short, Barney is no longer the only gay man in elective office.  Unlike Ebbin, he is not the kind of man to whom others can look up; Barney is just not a good role model.  More than that, he’s an outright embarrassment.

I say all this because when I first started criticizing the Massachusetts Democrat, a number of gays, including, yes, a handful of Log Cabin (Republicans), faulted me for mocking a prominent gay politician, as if our shared sexual orientation should define my attitude toward the guy.  The sharp-tongued liberal is  one of the few gay elected officials there is, they would say.

Well, there are not that few any more.  The argument is no longer as compelling as it once was.  We should be critical of politicians like Barney who merit our censure.  My fellow gays should join me in criticizing this unhappy fellow — and to show they favor equal treatment of same-sex relationships, should demand an investigation of his conflict of interest.

FROM THE COMMENTS:  Naamloos takes issue with something I wrote and makes a great point:

The argument is no longer as compelling as it once was.

What argument? That good gays blindly support other gay people?

It seems like Mr. Frank is not the kind of person you would want representing you (I use “you” as a generic pronoun). So, wouldn’t it make more sense not to support him?

1. Barney’s an ass of the first order, I’m ashamed he’s from Massachusetts – the home of democratic asses

Comment by Leslie — November 9, 2011 @ 7:13 pm - November 9, 2011

2. The argument is no longer as compelling as it once was.

What argument? That good gays blindly support other gay people?

Comment by Naamloos — November 9, 2011 @ 9:09 pm - November 9, 2011

3. Honestly, if it wasn’t for the fact that Frank is gay, he would have been voted out years ago. But no one wants to attack him because he’ll make it about being gay versus the issues.

Comment by Nick — November 9, 2011 @ 9:23 pm - November 9, 2011

4. Barney had a whore house he didn’t know about. His partner smoked weed he didn’t know about. He corrupted the economy through pure manipulation and chicanery.

Why isn’t he Secretary of the Treasury or Attorney General?

Comment by Heliotrope — November 10, 2011 @ 7:52 am - November 10, 2011

5. Let’s see if these newly elected Congressmen will pay lip service to Bawney Fwank and treat him like the Queen of the May, or if they will show real integrity and expose him for the Wicked Witch that he is.

Integrity over partisanship. Which will win out?

If I were a betting man (and I am), I say the (D) after the name overrules integrity. It’s happened every time the two clash.

Prove me wrong.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — November 10, 2011 @ 11:20 am - November 10, 2011

6. Barney Frank is a big pile of shit. When is Massachusetts going to flush him out of DC? Remember when Pelosi said she was going to “drain the swamp?” She put on her bathing suit & dove right into the swamp & bumped into Barney Frank Arcane.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — November 10, 2011 @ 3:27 pm - November 10, 2011

7. Gay folks who like Frank merely because he’s gay are called “Idiots.” However, be that as it may — there is someone you should all learn about: Bruce Harris was just elected mayor of tiny Chatham Borough New Jersey — 1167 votes for him, versus 847 for his quickly resigning Democrat opponent — and the strangest thing about Mr. Harris? Well, he’s Gay, which is not strange. But an African-American, which is not so strange either. Ah, but — he’s a Republican! Yes. A gay black Republican! can you imagine? What a story!

Comment by Jim Hlavac — November 11, 2011 @ 12:20 am - November 11, 2011