The Shark…..Jumps The Shark

Could this get more absurd?

QUEER OWS TO PROTEST HRC NYC GALA

QUEER OCCUPIERS DENOUNCE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN FOR HONORING GOLDMAN SACHS & FAILING TO DEMAND FULL FEDERAL EQUALITY

New York, NY, February 1, 2012 – Queer/LGBTIQA2Z Occupy Wall Street, a caucus of the NYC based Occupy Wall Street movement, announced today that it will protest a Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Gala honoring Goldman Sachs on Saturday February 4, 2012 at the Waldorf Astoria.

In contrast to the $650 a plate Gala, the Queer/LGBTIQA2Z Caucus will host a “Guerrilla Potluck” on the sidewalk outside of the prestigious hotel at 50th Street & Park Avenue from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

The Queer Caucus: 1. Condemns HRC for honoring Goldman Sachs, 2. Calls upon HRC to adopt a strategy of Full Equality by 2014, and 3. Demands that HRC create a transparent process that includes the grassroots.

1. The Queer Caucus condemns HRC’s decision to honor Goldman Sachs in a time of financial collapse caused by their unethical business practices and greed, and deplores the use of our cause and suffering for corporate public relations. HRC honoring Goldman Sachs at this time reveals all one needs to know about the corporate LGBT lobby, and its disconnect from the 99% and the LGBT people it purports to represent.

2. The Queer Caucus calls upon HRC to embrace the grassroots demand for Full Federal Equality by 2014 the 50th Anniversary of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

After 60 years of struggle, there is still not a single federal non-discrimination law protecting LGBT Americans from discrimination. More incredibly, HRC, the corporate entity that controls our strategy, is not even seeking equal protection for our community.

To address this, the Queer Caucus calls on HRC to take The Pledge for Full LGBT Equality to seek and secure full non-discrimination protections based on sexual orientation and gender identify for all people.

The right to be protected from discrimination secures a core liberty interest. And it is the duty of government to protect LGBT Americans from the harm caused by discrimination as a matter of public welfare, law and conscience, as it has for decades for all other oppressed groups.

There’s more to this press release, but if I read it again….my IQ would drop.

First of all, there is NO “right to be protected from discrimination”.  Do left-wing Progressives even understand what a “right” is?  *eyeroll*

When John Aravosis and I agree on something….. you know it’s bad.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. Hmm… OWS vs. HRC. Which one to choose? Decisions, decisions, decisions. Methinks I’ll just sit back, pop some corn and enjoy the delicious schadenfreude.

Comment by JohnAGJ — February 2, 2012 @ 6:01 pm - February 2, 2012

2. The Queer Caucus calls upon HRC to embrace the grassroots demand for Full Federal Equality by 2014 the 50th Anniversary of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

The right to be protected from discrimination secures a core liberty interest.

First of all, there is NO “right to be protected from discrimination”.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Pub.L. 88-352, 78 Stat. 241, enacted July 2, 1964) was a landmark piece of legislation in the United States that outlawed major forms of discrimination against African Americans and women, including racial segregation.

Down with the Civil Rights Act?

Comment by Serenity — February 2, 2012 @ 7:18 pm - February 2, 2012

3. LGBTIQA2Z

Really? Did they really use that in their name? What the heck does the Z stand for?

Comment by Rattlesnake — February 2, 2012 @ 8:41 pm - February 2, 2012

4. @Rattlesnake It means that they fell asleep before they got done reading it?

@Serenity. So you cited a law. Do you know what discrimination is?

Comment by The_Livewire — February 2, 2012 @ 8:44 pm - February 2, 2012

5. @The_Livewire: Well it’s a word with many different definitions, but in this context:

treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit

From Dictionary.com seems sufficient.

So, what’s your definition and how is this tangent relevant to this discussion?

Comment by Serenity — February 2, 2012 @ 9:30 pm - February 2, 2012

6. @Rattlesnake: I thought it was a typo until I saw your comment, so I just had to look it up. Here’s what I found at their blog:

■L – Lesbian
    ■G – Gay
    ■B – Bisexual
    ■T – Transgender
    ■I – Intersex
    ■Q – Queer or Questioning
    ■A – Asexual or Allies
    ■2 – Two-Spirited
    ■Z – Zhe, Zher, Gender Neutral Pronouns

The “Z” is one I’ve never heard of before. Reminds me “womyn”.

I just can’t folks seriously who mangle the English language so much for ideological purity.

Comment by JohnAGJ — February 2, 2012 @ 9:31 pm - February 2, 2012

7. And again Serenity fails.

I don’t date crazy women from England, I discriminate against them.

I don’t date men, so I discriminate against them. There’s no right to be protected from discrimination. Here in the US the 14th amendment gave some responsibility to the government. It didn’t create a right.

Just like you don’t have a right to sponge off of others.

Comment by The_Livewire — February 2, 2012 @ 9:47 pm - February 2, 2012

8. Wait, there’s a difference between queer and gay? Does that mean there’s a difference between blacks and colored people too?

Oh and I love how a supposedly “gay rights” group lists “corporate greed” as number one on their whine list. Didn’t realize corporations making money was a gay issue these days.

Comment by Cy — February 3, 2012 @ 1:10 am - February 3, 2012

9. LGBTIQA2Z

STFU

Comment by V the K — February 3, 2012 @ 5:44 am - February 3, 2012

10. I was at a restaurant last night which had two items on the menu which caught my eye. One was a big, juicy rib eye for $22.95 and the other was a dressed up hamburger for $9.95.

I told the server I would take the rib eye for $9.95. That would be my “choice.” He told me I could have the hamburger for $9.95, but that the rib eye would be $22.95.

When, I ask, is this sort of discrimination based on sexual orientation and skin color ever, ever going to end? It almost makes me want to oppose The Civil Rights Act of 1964 ….. or something… I forget …..

Comment by Heliotrope — February 3, 2012 @ 9:48 am - February 3, 2012

11. I can only roll my eyes at how much the gay rights organization have descended into the absurd. When I came out in 1995 and got involved, I expected a certain level of militancy but I remember some of the more seasoned and rational leaders also rolled their eyes at all the requests for additional letters. The first group I joined got as far Two-Spirited which at the time was “TS”. This followed the recent addition of InterSex so we were briefly… yes… a GLBTITS organization. We quickly and quietly went back to GLBT. Another organization I have just wrapped up a decade of service with is currently using the LGBTIQ combo. Never knew that A was part of things or about the number 2 replacing TS (I wonder why, LOL) and I certainly never heard of the Z. Sounds like I stepped back from that part of my volunteerism none too soon.

In terms of the Queer OWS. Another example of the absurdity of what some are doing in the name of “advancing” my “rights” but like John, I am quite happy to see that waste-of-space HRC add yet another well-deserved embarrassing incident to their pathetic history.

Comment by PopArt — February 3, 2012 @ 10:40 am - February 3, 2012

12. This marks the first time I’ve heard of zhe/zher. And I hope the last.

wtf is “two spirited”? Is that like hermaphrodite? Or schizo?

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — February 3, 2012 @ 2:24 pm - February 3, 2012

13. There most certainly is a “right” to be protected from discrimination. It is consider a fundamental human right in the Universal Declaration on Human Rights and related international law.

Listen to Hilary Clinton’s speech to the UN recently. It was historic and lays it all out in ways everyone should be able to understand.

Here is that speech – or just google Clinton LGBT human rights.

Comment by Tif — February 3, 2012 @ 2:37 pm - February 3, 2012

14. Here is the rest of the release:

As HRC restrains the demand for equality, discrimination takes its insidious toll on LGBT Americans who suffer vast psychological harm rejected by their families and society, driven to suicide at 5 times the heterosexual norm by tormenting, minority stress afflictions, and lost hope.

A whopping 40% of homeless youth identity as LGBT, 66% of Transgender people have been fired or not hired for a job, 60% of our youth are taunted and feel unsafe at school, and LGBT people are 6x more likely to have multiple mental stress disorders due to societal discrimination.

“Homo/transphobia in America is a public health and economic emergency for our community” said Michael Tikile, an occupier and Duke University graduate. “We are not safe in school, work or housing. How are we supposed to live, pursue happiness or achieve economic equality?”

3. The Queer Caucus also demands that HRC open the process to transparency and grassroots inclusion.

Currently, HRC operates under a closed, hierarchical system, controlled by a financial elite, insulated from grassroots input. Likewise, in Congress, Democrat House members Barney Frank, Jared Polis and Tammy Baldwin, keep the grassroots out of the conversation, protecting the DNC strategy from movement agitation and impact.

With this structure in place, queer occupiers know that only a handful of privileged voices are setting the national queer agenda and strategy, defining what “LGBT equality” means and who our friends are.

For example, HRC’s key sponsors includes a long list of big businesses that contributed to recent economic and environmental distress, including Citi Bank, Bank of America, Chevron, BP, Shell, Morgan Stanley, MetLife, Deloitte, Lexus, Prudential, and Ernst & Young.

“With all of these companies, you’d expect the power to be on our side! But instead, our community is simply a tool and pawn in the political system” said Tanya Walker, an original occupier and tireless transgender activist.

Simply put, the Queer Caucus demands equal non-discrimination protections under the 1964 Civil Rights Act because equality is the only true antidote to LGBT abuse – like it has proven to be for race, sex, national origin, religion, age and disability – long protected from discrimination by law.

“Equality and non-discrimination are universal values that define basic human dignity” said Todd (Tif) Fernandez, a human rights lawyer and grassroots activist. “It is our civic duty as Americans to protect and respect the LGBT community immediately.”

Please Take the Pledge for Full LGBT Equality (by 2014) (http://bit.ly/the2014pledge).

Join the Guerrilla Potluck (http://on.fb.me/GuerrillaPotluck). Bring flashlights.

Watch Potluck on Live-Stream Saturday: http://www.livestream.com/occupello

Join Queer/LGBTIQA2Z OWS Caucus organizing, Sundays at 1pm, 60 Wall Street or on FB http://on.fb.me/QueerOWS.

####

About the Queer/LGBTIQA2Z Caucus of Occupy Wall Street
    QOWS began meeting as a group in Zuccotti Park in mid-October 2011. The group strives for economic, political, and social equality for LGBTQ people both locally and nationwide.

Comment by Tif — February 3, 2012 @ 2:40 pm - February 3, 2012

15. wtf is “two spirited”?

Two-Spirit People (also Two Spirit or Twospirit), is an English umbrella term for Indigenous North Americans who fulfill one of many mixed gender roles found traditionally among many Native Americans and Canadian First Nations communities. Third gender roles historically embodied by Two-Spirit people include performing work and wearing clothing associated with both men and women. The presence of male two-spirits “was a fundamental institution among most tribal peoples.”[1] Male and female two-spirits have been “documented in over 130 tribes, in every region of North America, among every type of native culture.”[2]

wiki has more

Comment by rusty — February 3, 2012 @ 2:50 pm - February 3, 2012

16. Thanks rusty. I would have thought that the existing T, “Transgender” already covers it.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — February 3, 2012 @ 2:54 pm - February 3, 2012

17. I can only roll my eyes at how much the gay rights organization have descended into the absurd.

The shark jumping the shark, indeed. I don’t know what transgendered people have to do with homosexuality, so I don’t understand why the “T” was ever added to LGB in the first place. The “Q” just seems redundant. As for “I” and “2,” see “T.” The “A” kind of makes sense, I guess (as long as it is used for “asexual”). All I have to say about the “Z” is: WTF.

The “gay or ‘LGBTIQA2Z’ community” has become ridiculously over-inclusive, of anyone that apparently doesn’t fit the heterosexual & non-gender bending model. The political correctness and extreme identity politics/identity label use is sickening.

Comment by Rattlesnake — February 3, 2012 @ 3:56 pm - February 3, 2012

18. Oh, ILC, your white male assumptions are so painful to read. 🙂 Trangender is a white EuroAmerican Western medical category and imposing it on Native/FirstNations/Aboriginal People would re-inscribe cultural colonialism. It’s for that reason that we have feminist/womanist/mujerista and whateverthehell Asian angry girls call themselves. We each deserve the right to call ourselves by whatever name our Assigned Victim Group lays on us!

Comment by EssEm — February 3, 2012 @ 4:23 pm - February 3, 2012

19. “your white male assumptions are so painful” – Heh 🙂

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — February 3, 2012 @ 8:26 pm - February 3, 2012

20. 66% of Transgender people have been fired or not hired for a job,

Um, I think not being hired for a job is a pretty common experience for all people. Ditto being fired. Maybe it had more to do with being lousy employees than being “transgendered.”

Comment by V the K — February 5, 2012 @ 4:44 pm - February 5, 2012

21. […] http://www.gaypatriot.net/2012/02/02/the-shark-jumps-the-shark/ […]

Pingback by Media, Videos, Pictures & More: Guerrilla Potluck A Success | queerows — February 13, 2012 @ 9:02 pm - February 13, 2012