Well, the hoax did fit CNN’s Narrative of the 1%

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 7:27 pm - February 29, 2012.
Filed under: Media Bias,Occupy Wall Street

Some stories just seem to fit too perfectly into a media narrative.  Many of our Facebook friends recently posted a picture of a restaurant receipt where a banker supposedly left a 1% tip to waitress (on a $133 tab), telling her “To Get a Real Job.”   That 1% tip seemed was mighty convenient, given the #Occupy rhetoric of the 1%.

And, c’mon, what restaurant patron tells his server to get a real job?  Why would he want to spite someone who might be serving him.  Only credulous “leftists would believe,” as Jim Hoft put it, “that ‘rich’ bankers are this obnoxious and horrible.” Indeed.

As the Smoking Gun reports:

The restaurant receipt that a California banker purportedly used to denigrate a waitress–while also leaving her a one percent tip–was wildly “altered and exaggerated,” according to a spokesperson for the Newport Beach restaurant where the businessman supposedly dined earlier this month.

. . . .

The amount on the actual receipt is $33.54, Reagan said, not $133.54 as seen on the altered receipt. And while the tip on the online receipt claims that the server was left $1.33 (or one percent of the bill), the actual tip was $7 on the $33.54 tab.

Over at the Hot Air Green Room, blogger Howard Portnoy reminds us that it wasn’t just the Huffington Post that fell for the hoax.  One of his readers provided . . .

. . . this video of CNN’s holier-than-thou coverage of the story. It is definitely worth watching, if for no other reason than to revel in host Soledad O’Brien’s self-righteous indignation over a story that turned out to be bogus.

Well, it did fit that network’s narrative.

1. This is why I am always EXTREMELY weary of anything posted like this and reserve judgement and outrage until I can confirm.

The next day my hunch turned out to be correct. I posted a link to the story on my Facebook and letting everyone know they were had and it was time to find another “outrage du jour.”

Why should anyone bother to find out if it is real? It’s much more fun to get worked up in to a frenzy and post things on Facebook with lots of indignation and capital letters!

A lot of my “Facebook friends” also had egg on their face when they linked to a false story about a flight attendant putting a black man in first class after a white passenger complained. When I called foul on that I was told it didn’t matter because “at least it was a good story.”

Comment by ChrisH — February 29, 2012 @ 8:27 pm - February 29, 2012

2. Okay, sometimes I get too excited about something that seems too perfect (or fits my “narrative”) only to find out that it isn’t as it seems. I think that probably happens to everyone who isn’t very careful.

However, even assuming this was true, I don’t see its significance. The actions of one person do not reflect or say anything about a group that that person happens to belong to. What does say something is if there is a pattern of similar behaviour. There probably is a pattern that lends to the greedy reputation of bankers, but that probably has more to do with the fact that they work with money than anything. And the fact that the hoaxers had to manufacture such a ridiculous story that doesn’t even make the point they are trying to make indicates, to me, that they are full of crap.

Comment by Rattlesnake — February 29, 2012 @ 8:43 pm - February 29, 2012

3. Will Soledad O’Brien apologize? Or at least utter a correction? :-)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — February 29, 2012 @ 8:44 pm - February 29, 2012

4. ChrisH, you mean, it was “fake, but accurate“?

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — February 29, 2012 @ 9:03 pm - February 29, 2012

5. Similarly, David Shuster (formerly of NBC, now on Al Gore’s current) is being sued for libel after claiming repeatedly that James O’Keeffe is a “convicted felon.”

Comment by V the K — February 29, 2012 @ 9:19 pm - February 29, 2012

6. I totally missed out on this somehow. If I had seen it before the truth came out, I would wonder why folks automatically assume the banker is the a-hole and the waitress wasn’t a total bitch.

I think I’ve gotten pretty good at spotting urban legends and remain suspicious of stuff like that.

Comment by TGC — March 1, 2012 @ 1:06 am - March 1, 2012