Bachmann shows Santorum how not to take the liberal bait

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 10:45 pm - March 5, 2012.
Filed under: 2012 Presidential Election

Just a few moments ago, when I was doing cardio at the gym, I caught Michele Bachmann on Piers Morgan.  Now, the Minnesota Congressman has a long way to go before she earns my support, but in holding her own against the CNN anchor’s barrage of hostile questions, she gained a bit of my respect.

Instead of taking the bait on the contraception issue as has one of her former rivals for the Republican presidential nomination, she made it clear that the issue was not contraception, but the federal mandate, with the government dictating what qualifies as valid health insurance coverage.  (When the transcript is up, I will post her actual remarks.*)

On the issue of gays, she also refused to take the bait.  Morgan kept pressing her to weigh in on actor Kirk Cameron’s recent comments on his program that homosexuality was “unnatural” and “ultimately destructive.”  She replied that she wasn’t there “as anybody’s judge”.

Morgan persisted with this line of questioning and, in the words of Frances Martel on Mediaite:

Bachmann eventually relented on the entire topic. “I think I’ve had enough of this conversation,” she told him, “we’ve beaten this horse to death.” Morgan seemed surprised she was done with the subject. “It was quite a lively horse though, wasn’t it?” he joked. “For you!” she replied, half in jest.

From my perspective, she wasn’t replying in jest, but in mockery, wondering why Morgan wanted to talk about gays when she wanted to talk about the economy and national security.  (RELATED: Gingrich Scolds David Gregory: Why Is Rush Limbaugh ‘The Great National Crisis Of This Week’?)

No, Michele Bachmann has not redeemed herself for some of the things she has said (about gays) in the past, but she did show how a social conservative can refuse to take the bait of a liberal-leaning journalist, an education that might benefit a certain former Pennsylvania Senator.

ALSO RELATED: Romney pushes jobs, side issues trip rivals:

There are other folks in this campaign talking about a lot of other things, and that’s fine,” Mitt Romney told a crowd of several hundred people in this job-starved Rust Belt town on the eve of Super Tuesday. “But for me, it’s more jobs, less debt, and smaller government.”

While GOP rivals Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich have gotten sidetracked by contraception, Sandra Fluke, and other media obsessions of the moment, Romney has stuck close to his message on the economy and government spending. It shows a discipline in the campaign — and in the candidate himself — that other contenders just don’t have.

*FROM THE TRANSCRIPT:

BACHMANN: Well, what I thought at first is that this is a 3D example of what Obama care is going to mean in every America’s life from now on because essentially for the first time in the history of the country we have one person who will be a health care czar, who will not only dictate what we get in health care but more importantly what we won’t get in health care. That’s going to be the future of health care in the United States.

. . . .

Let me just — let me just say. Obama care will never be about what benefits we’re getting. It will be about what benefits government will take away. Because there’s simply not enough money to provide everything for everyone. So the big untold story is that some day people will be told you’re not getting the rotate or cuff surgery, you’re not getting hip replacements, you’re not getting knee replacements.

That’s the bigger story because we don’t want to have politically correct surgeries, politically correct pharmaceuticals, politically correct diseases. Those diseases get funded and other diseases don’t. That’s wrong.

1. Well either she has modified her view somewhat over the years, or has learned to be more canny in discussing gay-related matters, because she most definitely was judgmental in her 2004 remarks:

“Any of you who have members of your family that are in the lifestyle—we have a member of our family that is. This is not funny. It’s a very sad life. It’s part of Satan, I think, to say this is gay. It’s anything but gay.It’s profoundly sad to recognize that almost all, if not all, individuals who have gone into the lifestyle have been abused at one time in their life, either by a male or by a female. There’s been profound hurt and profound things that have happened in almost all of their lives… It leads to the personal enslavement of individuals. Because if you’re involved in the gay and lesbian lifestyle, it’s bondage. Personal bondage, personal despair, and personal enslavement. And that’s why this is so dangerous.”

I realize that these remarks proceed from her religious beliefs, and no matter how much I find them to be repulsive and disagree with her will defend her right to hold them. Heck, I’ll even work with her on areas we do agree on, which doesn’t include voting for her or any of her socon allies. Since one of the things she mentions in her speech involves schools and I suspect she support school choice in some fashion, that’s something I’d love to see implemented nationally not only to end government intrusion into parental areas on social issues, which belsssedly would also make many of these controversies disappear so we could focus on more important matter, but even more so to actually improve the quality of education kids today are receiving because public schools, in a word, suck. Kudos to her for standing up to Piers Morgan (why is he even on TV anyways?), but I don’t believe a word she is being entirely truthful here.

Comment by JohnAGJ — March 6, 2012 @ 9:10 am - March 6, 2012

2. *sigh*, I really wish this comments section came with Spell Check…

Comment by JohnAGJ — March 6, 2012 @ 9:12 am - March 6, 2012

3. Dan you sometimes confuse me on topics like this. Are you suggesting that socially conservatives not speak openly about there beliefs?

Comment by MV — March 6, 2012 @ 1:51 pm - March 6, 2012

4. I meant people who are socially conservative.

Comment by MV — March 6, 2012 @ 1:52 pm - March 6, 2012

5. Bachmann doesn’t hate gay people. She marries them!
    jokes, Mr. Bachmann is not gay. He’s a closeted homosexual. there’s a difference. he doesn’t have the balls to be gay.

there’s a reason all of their foster children were female – can’t go having some tempting young troubled male around! he might arouse Mr. Bachmann’s tendencies!

gotta love, however, how you guys choose to ignore a big glaring reality:

no matter how hard you search for them, you will find NO derogatory and bigoted anti-gay statements from President Obama.
    NONE.

you will find a great many from Santorum and Bachmann.

now, this is when you wimps say “Whatever, we’re not talking about gay stuff! we’re talking about OTHER issues!

which makes no sense, as this site is called GayPatriot, not “other issues patriot”

this is why you coward’s can’t show yourselves. where are you youtube videos where you promote LGBT Equality to the GOP? Where are the pictures and video of you all Out with your families promoting what Inclusive Family Values are?

Simple: you can’t do it. you all know your parents are ashamed to call you Son. I don’t have that problem. One of the benefits of being a gay son to liberal parents. my family loves me, accepts me, and are all outspoken advocates for LGBT Equality.

you wimps? please. your parents wish they never had you.

toodles!

Comment by Little_Kiwi — March 6, 2012 @ 4:32 pm - March 6, 2012

6. i DO want to thank you, however, for insisting that being pro-LGBT is a LIBERAL thing.

which it is. as evidenced by the fact that you wimpy gay conservative cowards have capers for testes and can’t even show yourselves.

no wonder your father’s hated you.

Comment by Little_Kiwi — March 6, 2012 @ 4:57 pm - March 6, 2012

7. Little Kiwi, I’ll believe you’re devoted to “Inclusive Family Values” when I see you marching in support of Kody Brown’s fight to legally have four wives. Until then, you’re a monumentally hypocritical narcissist who believes that judging people is diabolically wicked only when it’s done to YOU.

Comment by Seane-Anna — March 6, 2012 @ 8:39 pm - March 6, 2012

8. MV at #3, you’re not confused. Dan IS suggesting that social conservatives not speak openly about their beliefs, but don’t hold your breath waiting for him to admit it.

Comment by Seane-Anna — March 6, 2012 @ 8:44 pm - March 6, 2012

9. I think Dan is suggesting that social conservatives focus on the crucial issues like the economy and the debt instead of being distracted by less crucial social issues, hence his praise for Michele Bachmann for doing exactly that.

Bachmann’s social views are well known. I can’t speak for anyone but myself, but I would not be concerned about her opinions on gays (or her social views in general) in the least, even if she were running for Prime Minister of Canada or something. And, as long as she kept her focus on the economy, I would probably support her (but only if she were more experienced). She supports traditional values, and that’s great; so do I. I just don’t think they are as important as the economy (or foreign policy), nor do I think any politician has (or should have) enough power to significantly mitigate social progression/degeneration. Having powerful politicians that support traditional values doesn’t hurt though, as long as they don’t exceed the limits on their power.

Comment by Rattlesnake — March 6, 2012 @ 9:32 pm - March 6, 2012

10. One of the benefits of being a gay son to liberal parents. my family loves me, accepts me, and are all outspoken advocates for LGBT Equality.

Comment by Little_Kiwi — March 6, 2012 @ 4:32 pm – March 6, 2012

Actually, your parents are bigots who say that any gay or lesbian person who doesn’t agree with them politically should kill themselves.

No wonder you’re so messed up. Your parents have pounded into your head since day one that they don’t love you unless you agree with them politically and that they want you to kill yourself if you ever disagree with them.

That would explain why they hide themselves and their names and refuse to acknowledge you publicly as their child. They’re aware of what would happen to them if it became public knowledge that they brainwashed and beat their child into the belief that he should kill himself.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — March 6, 2012 @ 11:31 pm - March 6, 2012

11. I won’t speak for Dan, he can do that himself. For myself, it is entirely a matter of degree. I won’t fault you for discussing your opposition, or dissaproval. I do object to being referenced to Satan, those that have sex with animals, or those who have sex with children. You can express your views, just don’t be hateful. If you are hateful in the way you express your beliefs, don’t expect to win any support that you didn’t already have.

Comment by Jason — March 7, 2012 @ 1:41 pm - March 7, 2012

12. You may not claim to speak for me, Jason, but you do echo my sentiments. :-)

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — March 7, 2012 @ 1:48 pm - March 7, 2012