How about a TV series treating Christians* with dignity?

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 6:27 pm - March 13, 2012.
Filed under: Movies/Film & TV,War on Christians

On Saturday, reports Tina Korbe, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich “called out the double standard of the mainstream media” referencing “ABC’s new TV show, ‘GCB,’ based on the novel ‘Good Christian Bitches.'”  She cites this Politico report:

“Here’s to show you the biases of the elite media, look at the new show that’s on that has the word ‘Christian’ in it and I want you to take the exact name, drop out Christian and put in Muslim,” Gingrich said. “And ask yourself, is there any network that would have dared to run a show like that and you know the answer is not a one because anti-Christian bigotry is just fine in the entertainment industry but they have to be very protective of Islam.”

Just watch Sergeant York, the 1941 film the earned Gary Cooper his first Oscar.  The very versatile Walter Brennan snagged his fourth Oscar nod for his portrayal of Pastor Rosier Pile, an honorable clergyman who helps Cooper find a path to God and stands by him as he wrestles with the merits of taking up arms for his nation.  Or the 1954 Oscar winner, On the Waterfront where another versatile actor secured an Academy nomination for playing a priest, the strong moral center of an incredibly powerful film.

Why do we no longer see any TV shows with similar upstanding ministers — and members of their flock who live by the teachings of their faith and treat their fellows with dignity?

How about even bringing in gays, you know, like a gay man who moves out on his boyfriend when he finds that that latter had been cheating on him.   He has to move in with his brother who, once a wastrel, saw the light when he fell for a fetching Evangelical (or Mormon?) woman.  The brother initially refuses to put him up in their guest house because of  his “lifestyle,” but his wife presses him to show some Christian compassion.

Their pastor (or Bishop, if they’re Mormon) acknowledges that he is wrestling with church doctrine on sexuality and encourages the (straight) couple to treat the gay relative decently, to encourage him to come to church.  (And, heck, maybe the gay guy “at sea” since his relationship falls apart, talks to said minister who, through the young man, realizes that one man can truly, romantically love another.)

And we’ll add in a happy gay couple who can’t put our hero up because they’re taking care of the mother of one of the men–and trying to adopt.  So, we’ll balance the happy religious couple with the happy gay couple.

(For the record, since reading the article this weekend, I have mapped out a TV series based on the above idea, even outlined the pilot.)

*and gays.

1. we could set it in the South…And your idea would help present a more positive image of the South;

Oh good. A show set in the South written by an Ohioan. Just what we need. 😉

Comment by TGC — March 14, 2012 @ 7:03 pm - March 14, 2012

2. “You know why you’re resigned to its inevitably? Because deep down you know your opposition to it is completely arbitrary and that its widespread adoption will have absolutely no ill effects on the broader society.”

Levi: This is what you wish. My mind hasn’t changed about gay marriage. I don’t believe the reasons to be against gay marriage is arbitrary. I consider the way the law and judges work and the momentum to get gay marriage legalized has made it impossible to stop. I am resigned that gay marriage inevitable.

I have seen how giving gays a legal alternative to marriage has resulted in marriage being compromised. The law work to twist things completely around to where if you want to move into a new direction, it can be achieved indirectly. To move from A to B, let’s move to C and then redirect to B.

“only people who live under a rock do not encounter gay people, even without getting into people’s faces.”

Pat: I live in Los Angeles County, California. In my daily life, I don’t encounter any gays. It is possible certainly. I can count the decades when I last seen them or worked with them, but the funny thing is they don’t announce their orientation or openly acknowledged it. Thus, I can state that I don’t encounter them. I can state with a straight face that I only see gays on television and especially in the news, thus IN MY FACE.

Comment by anon23532 — March 14, 2012 @ 7:08 pm - March 14, 2012

3. #15

it’s a bit disingenuous to complain about the “mistreatment” of a mainstream religion when the other minority religion he mentions is frequently the target of stereotyping, fear mongering, and discrimination. No one ever complains about Christian law being recognized by our courts.

There is a good reason for that. Sharia law is evil and backwards. It oppresses women, calls for gays to be executed, calls for apostates to be severely punished and often executed, and prevents the freedom of speech (among other things). There is no way Sharia law would ever be constitutional in the United States.

In short, Islam and Christianity are too different to be effectively compared.

Furthermore, it is often common sense to discriminate. Politically correct notions of “anti-discrimination” rules/laws are lunacy.

Comment by Rattlesnake — March 14, 2012 @ 7:16 pm - March 14, 2012

4. Okay, Anon. So in a place such as Los Angeles, which probably has a higher percentage of gays than most, you don’t encounter them. My conclusion (to which you alluded to) is that you do encounter them, but they don’t announce or acknowledge it. So, it appears that away from the tube, gay persons are not in your face. As for TV and news, you may have something there. I guess since I’m used to seeing gay people, it’s not out of the ordinary to see gay characters or gay persons in the news. It doesn’t seem any more in my face than the straight people we see on TV shows or the news.

Comment by Pat — March 14, 2012 @ 7:24 pm - March 14, 2012

5. Rattlesnake, most of what you said about Islam today was true about Christianity 500 years ago. However, we did something right in the Western World to rein in on Christianity, and it has served all concerned (including Christianity) pretty well. As such, there is absolutely no place for Sharia Law in the U.S.

Comment by Pat — March 14, 2012 @ 7:45 pm - March 14, 2012

6. I have seen how giving gays a legal alternative to marriage has resulted in marriage being compromised.

I think straight people did that themselves (with no-fault divorce, for example).

Comment by Rattlesnake — March 14, 2012 @ 7:49 pm - March 14, 2012

7. Rattlesnake, most of what you said about Islam today was true about Christianity 500 years ago.

That is beside the point. How the religions were in the past is irrelevant to my point.

Also, Christianity has evolved for the better (as you said). Islam also has, but to a much lesser extent (and in some places, it hasn’t). So, what you said is more of an indictment of Islam than it is of Christianity (not that your intention was to indict Christianity or defend Islam, which I don’t think it was).

Comment by Rattlesnake — March 14, 2012 @ 7:57 pm - March 14, 2012

8. Rattlesnake, I see your point about 500 years ago being irrelevant, but I think it is sometimes important to get some historical perspective.

In any case, what I said is definitely more of an indictment of Islam than it is of Christianity.

Comment by Pat — March 14, 2012 @ 8:04 pm - March 14, 2012

9. Islam is evolving. It is evolving into something violent and terrible because Secularists refuse to hold its adherents accountable and idiotically compare it to Christianity.

Comment by V the K — March 14, 2012 @ 8:14 pm - March 14, 2012

10. V the K, I did make a comparison, idiotically or otherwise, with the hope that we can deal with the Islamic violence, just as our ancestors dealt with the Christian violence. It may turn out we are dealing with two totally different situations. I agree we do need to hold its adherents accountable, in particular, the violent ones.

Comment by Pat — March 14, 2012 @ 8:31 pm - March 14, 2012

11. It may turn out we are dealing with two totally different situations.

Of course the two situations are different. Nuclear weapons are involved, as is the complex situation in the Middle East and elsewhere, and there are also many suicidally ignorant people who are apparently willfully blind to the nature of Islam in the name of political correctness and multiculturalism (many of whom are quite powerful). I am not saying that some historical context is necessarily useless, nor does that render the comparison between modern day Islam and Christianity 500 years ago null. I have no knowledge of Christianity 500 years ago, so I can’t say.

Comment by Rattlesnake — March 14, 2012 @ 8:49 pm - March 14, 2012

12. Levi, you say that religious limitations on homosexuality are arbitrary. I, of course, disagree, but even if I agreed with your premise, how is secularism not arbitrary? Secularism approves of and supports homosexuality. You believe that makes secularism morally superior to religion. But on what objective, transcendent moral code does secularism base its assertion that homosexuality is good? If you’re going to condemn religion for (supposedly) being arbitrary, then you’re going to have to explain how and why secularism isn’t arbitrary. Waiting.

Oh, you religious weirdos with your ‘objective, transcendent moral code’. Can you not see how convenient it is that this code has only been revealed to you? How arbitrary is that? And why does God make gay people if homosexuality is a sin? I seriously question the morality of the referee from which your ‘objective, transcendent moral codes’ emanate if he decides to make people who can’t help but break his own rules inherently.

And anyway, as I understand the Christian faith, the only moral choice one ever has to make is whether or not they prostrate themselves before the Christian god. Every instance of lying, stealing, murder, and genocide in the past 2000 years were pre-forgiven when Jesus died on the cross, and the only thing you need to do to be right by God is to accept Jesus as your personal savior. This is a moral code for people to be proud of?

Secularism is the result of centuries of a reasoning, science, and philosophy, so it’s not arbitrary at all. We have a much better understanding of the universe and of our planet and of human nature because of the work done in these fields, and the conclusions we can derive from this work are based on a real, natural order and hard data. Secularists aren’t just making shit up to be upset about, arbitrarily, which is pretty much the only thing that religion is capable of doing this day.

Comment by Levi — March 14, 2012 @ 9:53 pm - March 14, 2012

13. Secularism isn’t arbitrary, Levi? It’s based on “centuries of reasoning, science,…philosophy [and] a real, natural order and hard data?” So then, Levi, how do you explain how some secularists support homosexuality and others have/do not? Are they not looking at the same “hard data” about human nature? So, if secularists aren’t arbitrary, shouldn’t they all come to the same conclusions? Oh, and Levi, what makes you think secularism’s hands are so clean? What about the 100,000,000 people slaughtered by atheist regimes in the name of creating a godless utopia? The attempt to eradicate religion was more murderous than all the religious wars combined. But I don’t expect you to care, Levi. What’s a few million deaths compared to a world without faith?

Comment by Seane-Anna — March 14, 2012 @ 10:29 pm - March 14, 2012

14. […] Gay Patriot – How about a TV series treating Christians* with dignity? […]

Pingback by Happy St. Pat’s! | — March 14, 2012 @ 10:44 pm - March 14, 2012

15. Secularists aren’t just making shit up to be upset about, arbitrarily, which is pretty much the only thing that religion is capable of doing this day.

Global Warmism, Alar on apples, Republican War on Women etc.

This is a moral code for people to be proud of?

Beats your moral code of hatred and bigotry, I’d say.

Comment by TGC — March 14, 2012 @ 10:54 pm - March 14, 2012

16. As an Empiricist, I embrace Christianity for the simple reason that I have observed that people who are Christian live happier, more fulfilled lives. I have tried Christianity for myself and I have seen that it works; something the overwhelming majority of its critics have not done.

I have observed in the non-religious strident tendencies toward intolerance, hatred, and selfishness. Levi embodies all of these traits.

Comment by V the K — March 14, 2012 @ 10:55 pm - March 14, 2012

17. Secularism isn’t arbitrary, Levi? It’s based on “centuries of reasoning, science,…philosophy [and] a real, natural order and hard data?” So then, Levi, how do you explain how some secularists support homosexuality and others have/do not? Are they not looking at the same “hard data” about human nature? So, if secularists aren’t arbitrary, shouldn’t they all come to the same conclusions? Oh, and Levi, what makes you think secularism’s hands are so clean? What about the 100,000,000 people slaughtered by atheist regimes in the name of creating a godless utopia? The attempt to eradicate religion was more murderous than all the religious wars combined. But I don’t expect you to care, Levi. What’s a few million deaths compared to a world without faith?

I’m reasonably confident than in my entire life, I’ve never seen anyone say anything negative about homosexuality that wasn’t derived from some form of religious dogma. What are the secular arguments against homosexuality? Who is making them? Bring them forth if you can, and I will chastise them too for being silly and picking their positions arbitrarily.

No one ever attempted to eradicate religion – the dictators of the 20th century only intended to replace the objects of worship. As a means of controlling a population, religion proves extremely effective, and Hitler and Stalin wanted to be the icons at the altar. This is an insignificant change, mostly. It’s also worth noting that Stalin trained to be a priest in his youth and that the Vatican signed lots of treaties with the Nazis so embarrassing that they would have broken down their whole little circus if they had any sense of shame. ‘Atheist regimes’ these were not, despite what your religion would have you believe.

Comment by Levi — March 14, 2012 @ 11:08 pm - March 14, 2012

18. As an Empiricist, I embrace Christianity for the simple reason that I have observed that people who are Christian live happier, more fulfilled lives. I have tried Christianity for myself and I have seen that it works; something the overwhelming majority of its critics have not done.

If we’re passing off anecdotes as something meaningful, I guess I’ll just play the priests-molesting-kids-by-the-thousands-and-their-superiors-covering-it-up card.

Comment by Levi — March 14, 2012 @ 11:15 pm - March 14, 2012

19. Like I said, Levi is a bottomless spewer of hatred and ignorance and he epitomizes the anti-religious left. Does he condemn public education because of the thousands of children who’ve been molested by teachers? No, he does not.

Comment by V the K — March 14, 2012 @ 11:20 pm - March 14, 2012

20. Just pointing out, not all secular people are like Levi.

Comment by Rattlesnake — March 14, 2012 @ 11:31 pm - March 14, 2012

21. If we live through the next several years of financial ruin we can fight about this again, but, right now Obama is destroying EVERYTHING! We all must stop him, it’s that bad….

Comment by jann — March 14, 2012 @ 11:47 pm - March 14, 2012

22. Christianity really works for those who choose to embrace it. And for those who rail against it, I can only imagine how empty their lives must be that they have to rage against the religiosity of others. I suspect it is because, deep down, they know they’re missing out on something profound and they resent it deeply.

If you think lying to yourself about the nature of the universe and your own mortality is profound, I will leave you to it. I am thrilled to be alive in a time when our species is producing so much information about the real nature of the universe that it is impossible to keep up. It’s exciting to think about the future of our species and the potential we have. I’m in awe of our tremendous responsibility as sentient beings to investigate and explore and survive in what is an extremely hostile and unsentimental universe. It sucks that I have to die, there’s more to see and do than I have time for, but I’m grateful for the time I get. In the end, we’ll probably go extinct after some global calamity, and if that fails, the sun will burn out in 4 billion years, and if that fails, the Andromeda Galaxy is headed on a collision course with the Milky Way, which will obliterate every trace of our existence in an explosion of extraordinary magnitude. What can we do but be grateful that we had any time at all, and hope against hope that some form of life carries on?

You want someone to punch your ticket to a theme park after you keel over, how profound is that? You hope you get to live forever because some other human being that couldn’t know more about it than you told you it may be possible. How profound is that? Have fun in your small existence with your small god, await the apocalypse like it’s something to look forward to if you must, but please don’t think that there’s anything profound about your wish-thinking.

Comment by Levi — March 14, 2012 @ 11:56 pm - March 14, 2012

23. Oh and who could forget the scientician asserted Death du Jour of the evils of “Pink Slime”, which is an even more manufactured and processed can of BS than the beef product.

Comment by TGC — March 15, 2012 @ 12:17 am - March 15, 2012

24. I am thrilled to be alive in a time when our species is producing so much information about the real nature of the universe that it is impossible to keep up.

If it makes the HuffingtonPlagiarism, it must be true.

Comment by TGC — March 15, 2012 @ 12:18 am - March 15, 2012

25. It’s exciting to think about the future of our species and the potential we have. I’m in awe of our tremendous responsibility as sentient beings to investigate and explore and survive in what is an extremely hostile and unsentimental universe. It sucks that I have to die, there’s more to see and do than I have time for, but I’m grateful for the time I get.

Comment by Levi — March 14, 2012 @ 11:56 pm – March 14, 2012

Says the person who justifies murdering over 1 million humans annually in the United States alone, snuffing out their lives, their potential accomplishments, and their chance to live.

That’s what puts the lie to your statements, Levi. If you truly believed what you’re spewing, you would value human life. But as we’ve seen, you don’t value human life; you view it as an inconvenience to be killed at your pleasure.

Religious belief at its core values life as something special. Secularist bigots like yourself are nothing more than death-worshipers.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — March 15, 2012 @ 2:30 am - March 15, 2012

26. And in response to being called out on spewing ignorance and bigotry… our favorite poster boy for progressive atheism spews more ignorance and bigotry. And demonstrates he knows nothing about Christianity beyond the cartoon caricatures of it his type creates in order to reassure themselves of its failings.

Comment by V the K — March 15, 2012 @ 5:39 am - March 15, 2012

27. If you think lying to yourself about the nature of the universe and your own mortality is profound, I will leave you to it.

Says the boy who believes in magic rocks.

Now hush Levi, the adults are talking.

Comment by The Livewire — March 15, 2012 @ 8:36 am - March 15, 2012

28. Livewire, I don’t know about magic rocks, but I do believe the Big Bang was caused by Pop Rocks and soda.

Comment by Pat — March 15, 2012 @ 12:10 pm - March 15, 2012

29. @Pat
    *heh*

Comment by The Livewire — March 15, 2012 @ 12:45 pm - March 15, 2012

30. Shows like that can’t compete , it’s that simple. That kind of schlock is most definitely produced, but no one buys it, because it’s boring and it sucks. People want conflict and escapism in their entertainment and so that’s what they pay for.

Coincidentally, I’ve just been reading A Canticle for Leibowitz — which mixes entertaining conflict and escapism like a devoutly Catholic abbot and an equally conscientious military doctor arguing over the ethics of euthanasia for dying H-bomb victims in a 36th-century war, together with boring sucky schlock about RADIOACTIVE MUTANT CANNIBALS.

I’m not sure how well it would adapt for TV, though.

P.S. Sancte Leibowitz, ora pro Levi…

Comment by Throbert McGee — March 15, 2012 @ 5:52 pm - March 15, 2012

31. Throbert at least has bothered to learn something about the religion he rejects. Levi just revels in his ignorance and spouts off like a fool.

Comment by V the K — March 15, 2012 @ 7:49 pm - March 15, 2012

32. […] – Maradona as a champion of Palestinian cause Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Gay Patriot –How about a TV series treating Christians* with dignity? Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Razor –Loving Sluts, Hating Liars Sixth place *t* with 2/3 […]

Pingback by Watcher of Weasels » The Council Has Spoken!! This Week’s Watcher’s Council Results — March 16, 2012 @ 3:44 am - March 16, 2012

33. […] Gay Patriot – How about a TV series treating Christians* with dignity? […]

Pingback by Bookworm Room » Irish, yes, but I like it too: Watcher’s Council St. Patrick’s Day edition — March 16, 2012 @ 9:17 am - March 16, 2012

34. […] Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Gay Patriot –How about a TV series treating Christians* with dignity? […]

Pingback by This Week’s Watcher’s Council Results | therightplanet.com — March 16, 2012 @ 11:02 am - March 16, 2012

35. […] Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Gay Patriot –How about a TV series treating Christians* with dignity? […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » WofWW (Watcher of Weasels Winners) — March 16, 2012 @ 12:00 pm - March 16, 2012

36. […] Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Gay Patriot – How about a TV series treating Christians* with dignity? […]

Pingback by Trevor Loudon's New Zeal Blog » The Council Has Spoken!! This Week’s Watcher’s Council Results – 03/16/12 — March 16, 2012 @ 12:54 pm - March 16, 2012

37. […] Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Gay Patriot –How about a TV series treating Christians* with dignity? […]

Pingback by The Council Has Spoken!! This Week’s Watcher’s Council Results 3-16-2012 | Virginia Right! — March 16, 2012 @ 3:47 pm - March 16, 2012

38. […] Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Gay Patriot –How about a TV series treating Christians* with dignity? […]

Pingback by The Council Has Spoken!! This Week’s Watcher’s Council Results | Independent Sentinel — March 16, 2012 @ 11:57 pm - March 16, 2012

39. […] Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Gay Patriot –How about a TV series treating Christians* with dignity? […]

Pingback by Peyton Manning, Tim Tebow and Me! | — March 19, 2012 @ 10:52 pm - March 19, 2012

40. […] Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Gay Patriot –How about a TV series treating Christians* with dignity? […]

Pingback by Bookworm Room » Watcher’s Council winners for March 16, 2012 — March 24, 2012 @ 7:42 am - March 24, 2012