MItt wonders how a young American could vote for a Democrat

It’s the deficit spending.

When I first heard that Mitt Romney had made this comment, I thought he was referencing the trouble young people have had finding jobs in this Obama economy, but then I took a listen. Interesting how he makes the comment, hesitates, then explains that young people should be concerned about the debt accumulated by this president and his party to pay for benefits to his generation, debt on which they’ll have to pay interest.

(H/t: Gateway Pundit.)

One can only hope for such a change.

1. if you are voting age and under say 25 or so, there is a great chance 0bama has stripped you of the benefits you think you will be getting while raising the price you will have to pay for the bene’s you won’t receive. .

Comment by JP — March 20, 2012 @ 3:49 am - March 20, 2012

2. There’s a reason why, Obama, has been doing so much campaigning on college campi. I expect those that voted for him before will vote for him again.

Comment by Richard Bell — March 20, 2012 @ 9:43 am - March 20, 2012

3. Hmm. BDB did you mean 2008 instead of 2012?

Comment by rusty — March 20, 2012 @ 10:31 am - March 20, 2012

4. That clip deserves to go viral. A politician tells the truth for once. (Government has it set up so that his generation profits at the expense of the young.)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — March 20, 2012 @ 11:17 am - March 20, 2012

5. #3 – Hate to agree but he’s right, Dan: it should read 2008 in paragraph 3, not 2012.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — March 20, 2012 @ 12:40 pm - March 20, 2012

6. Yup, rusty, thanks for catching that. Problem of blogging in the wee hours of the morning PST so I can provide fresh content for our readers to enjoy with their morning coffee.

And ILC, yes, this should go viral.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — March 20, 2012 @ 12:54 pm - March 20, 2012

7. Not all young people are intelligent. Obama will lose some but he´ll hold on to the rest, especially thos who were part of OWS, with rock concerts and grass.

Comment by Roberto — March 20, 2012 @ 1:55 pm - March 20, 2012

8. Will the real Mitt Romney please stand up, please stand up.

Comment by Cinesnatch — March 20, 2012 @ 2:00 pm - March 20, 2012

9. I’ve been thinking about Europe’s crisis. This will be a sidebar, but it touches on the topic of inter-generational theft in the end.

All my teenage & adult life, even when I was a liberal hanging with liberals, my friends and I noticed something creepy about many Europeans. They would be stylish people, perhaps even flashy, but they carried an undertone of resentment and seemed to have no real purpose in their lives (i.e., no real lives). We’d call them “Euro-trash” or “Euro-phagues”.

These were the same decades when European countries were building their comprehensive welfare states, that are now going bankrupt because they finally ran out of other people’s money… as well as running out of kids, i.e., their economies stopped growing as their younger generations shrank.

From my political perspective today, I see that it’s all connected. The essence of the welfare state is, people trying to live off others… people being parasites. And in the years when the welfare state seems like it’s going to work, people don’t feel like they need kids; they feel like they can just have fun their whole lives. So they have fewer kids. And their lives gain a strange stylishness, combined with undertones of parasitism (or parasitic greed) and defensive resentment.

I predict that the worst is yet to come in Europe; their welfare states will collapse further; and when the latter happens, European couples will start having more kids.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — March 20, 2012 @ 2:13 pm - March 20, 2012

10. Cine… I was prepared not to like that… It’s pretty well done!

Comment by sonicfrog — March 20, 2012 @ 2:46 pm - March 20, 2012

11. I guess when I hear reports of Italians going to work even though they’re no longer getting paid, it’s because they’re parasites.

If one were to make sweeping generalizations about American’s lesser qualities (as opposed to their better side) in the vein ILC made about “Euro-phagues” I’d get lambasted. Euro-phagues? (The use of that term is telling in itself, but I digress) Are we talking about the Germans? The Greeks? Both? Your umbrella term indicates your inclusion of those whose economies are doing well and those who are doing poorly. And it appears filtered through the eyes of a teenager who looks at the world through crude stereotypes.

Comment by Cinesnatch — March 20, 2012 @ 2:48 pm - March 20, 2012

12. SF … thank you … I’d like to think I can spot quality whether it comes from the right or the left. (Others will disagree)

Comment by Cinesnatch — March 20, 2012 @ 2:49 pm - March 20, 2012

13. If one were to make sweeping generalizations about American’s lesser qualities

Oh, just go for it. You know you want to!

a teenager who looks at the world through crude stereotypes

Project much? :-) And as it happens, I did imply myself and others using those terms as teenagers. I guess that, once more, Cinesnatch can’t read.

Face it, Cinesnatch, it comes down to 3 things:
    1) You don’t like the points I made.
    2) You don’t like that it was I who made them.
    3) You don’t like that the thread isn’t about you. (Yet… you have begun working on it, LOL)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — March 20, 2012 @ 2:56 pm - March 20, 2012

14. Frankly, I’m for the voting age being 30. I think a young person should be in the working world a little while before making a decision to sink us all.

Comment by Candice — March 20, 2012 @ 3:43 pm - March 20, 2012

15. Young people should not vote until they understand life. Presently 30 would be a good age.

Maturity matters.

Comment by Candice — March 20, 2012 @ 3:48 pm - March 20, 2012

16. Easy answer on how to vote for a Democrat. Sit back, collect welfare and food stamps, impregnate as many women as possible, sit around chatting with friends while doing nothing but play sports.

Comment by davinci — March 20, 2012 @ 4:26 pm - March 20, 2012

17. To I Love Capitalism:

Comment by davinci — March 20, 2012 @ 4:31 pm - March 20, 2012

18. In 2008, many young people backed Obama not because of the particular policies he espoused, but because of the image he projected. Now that they’ve seen that his record in office has burdened their generation more than any other, perhaps they’ll have a change of heart this fall.

Not likely. Most young people are idiots (myself included). Most young people only care about the image, and it is doubtful that they will (in general) properly inform themselves prior to voting. That is, they will hear the mainstream media’s talking points, and they will believe them.

Regarding image, Mitt Romney doesn’t have a snowflake’s chance in Hell of being able to captivate young people. And Rick Santorum would likely be worse; Romney is just boring, but Santorum would likely be scary to young people who don’t share his values (which would be most of them, I assume). I’m afraid conservatism just doesn’t suit the average young person’s idealistic mind (which is only a bad thing when it comes to elections/referenda). I like the idea of raising the voting age, even though it would likely render me unable to vote (for a while, assuming this occurred in the country I live in).

Comment by Rattlesnake — March 20, 2012 @ 4:34 pm - March 20, 2012

19. davinci – Yes. The hypothesis here is that, to the degree that the inter-generational theft represented by the welfare state is comprehensive and seems (for a few decades) like it is going to work out OK, it contributes to lower birthrates.

Of course I’m nowhere near enough of a social scientist to test the hypothesis in research; and even if it were some truth to it, it would only be a tendency (not an absolute); etc.

But we already know that rising living standards lower birthrates. Parents in very poor countries have large numbers of kids to make their family line survive, to have help in old age, and to have help around the farm. Rising living standards make the 3rd reason go away, and people don’t have as many kids. My hypothesis is that the welfare state (again, as long as it appears like it will work out) makes the second reason go away, hence the even-lower birthrates of Europe in these last few decades.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — March 20, 2012 @ 4:48 pm - March 20, 2012

20. Europeans may have more children way down the road because when the welfare state ends, they will need lots of offspring to take of the parent when they age.

The European “native” birth rates are abysmal. The Muslims in Europe are breeding with an overabundance of vigor.

As the welfare states collapse in Europe, there with be ethnic and class unrest and the wealthy from everywhere in the world will swoop in and buy up the good stuff from land, estates, production facilities, works of art and whatever suits their fancy.

The open question is what each of the individual European states come back as. These are the conditions that give rise to strong leadership of the type that included Hitler, Mussolini, Franco, Salazar, Tito, Ataturk, and Metaxes.

From a demographic/historical perspective, times after financial and societal collapse are times of very low birth rate. There is a move by Sharia4Belgium to overtake the population of Brussels by 2030 and this trend is being referred to as Belgistan in Belgium and across Europe by concerned demographers.

There is an interesting video concerning this matter within the link, or you can watch it directly here.

Comment by Heliotrope — March 21, 2012 @ 5:29 pm - March 21, 2012

21. This is exactly how the barbarians brought down Roman culture.

Comment by Cinesnatch — March 21, 2012 @ 5:39 pm - March 21, 2012

22. [...] Blatt, over at Gay Patriot, posted this [...]

Pingback by Hey Romney, I can’t understand why young Americans would vote for Barack Obama either. « The Snark Who Hunts Back — March 23, 2012 @ 4:15 pm - March 23, 2012